• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
There's nothing wrong with it or anything, but it feels really weird. Ditto with playing SA2B on Xbox.

Playing FF7 on the Switch was also a weird experience
Nintendo has such a long history with square it doesn't seem weird to me. FF7 even started development as an N64 game. Although Nintendo apparently did tell square to "never come back" after they lost ff7 to Sony...so I do see your point.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
Is this "I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert)" thread but unironically?

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I can only see this issue with a game originally designed for PC being ported to console, like a CRPG (although all of the CRPG ports to console have been great, in all honesty).

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Can't think of any games, tbh. They belong on as many platforms as possible.

Unless there are hardware specific reasons for why the games feel wrong on the platform, of course. IE significantly worse controls or weaker hardware.
11441.jpg

You can't think of ANY games? At all?

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Nintendo has such a long history with square it doesn't seem weird to me. FF7 even started development as an N64 game. Although Nintendo apparently did tell square to "never come back" after they lost ff7 to Sony...so I do see your point.

I was almost a purely Nintendo kid growing up, so Final Fantasy 7 was like the awesome killer game I could never play on my Nintendo consoles haha

It was great playing it of course, just felt weird in the beginning

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
I tried mgs2 on xbox one and it felt weird, but that's probably due to how you cancel shots without the capacitive buttons. I bet that control scheme would feel just as weird on ps4.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
11441.jpg

Are you really surprised that a 1st party IP is only available on the platform of its owner?

Also... why are you bringing in 1st party games in a discussion about 3rd party games?

I've completed Banjo-Kazooie multiple times on Xbox btw. It doesn't feel out of place on the platform at all.

OP
OP
Video Games Are Dumb
Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Exactly...its like you've been watching ESPN on the same channel for 10 years and then suddenly it changes. It feels weird. OP isnt saying its wrong, but it seems some people are baffled by it....I think I'd say it was weird seeing ffxiii announced for xbox back then.

lol this actually reminds me of when WWF Monday Night Raw moved to TNN. That just felt off. Same damn show. Same writers, performers, everything was the same! But the little station logo in the corner blew my mind.

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 days): Hostility
11441.jpg

Maybe he's not some loser who thinks it's wrong to play a game on a different platform.

imagine being so consumed by console identity that you find it "wrong" to play any game on a certain platform. The only "wrong" thing is having that feeling in the first place.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I briefly played MGS5 on Xbox at a friend's and that felt pretty weird. I'd probably feel the same about Crash.

I think a few too many people are calling this out as crazy and weird. There are certain games and series that you can associate with certain platforms. It's pretty natural if they were once exclusive to a system or you just always happened to play them on a system. It's not to say games being multi platform and available to more people is bad. I'm glad people can play the games I mentioned. It just feels odd when you're so used to them on one system.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
Maybe he's not some loser who thinks it's wrong to play a game on a different platform.

imagine being so consumed by console identity that you find it "wrong" to play any game on a certain platform. The only "wrong" thing is having that feeling in the first place.
This is needlessly harsh. A lot of these feelings are just retained nostalgia from our childhoods. Most of us don't actually have an issue with it, it's just an odd feeling is all.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Are you really surprised that a 1st party IP is only available on the platform of its owner?

Also... why are you bringing in 1st party games in a discussion about 3rd party games?

I've completed Banjo-Kazooie multiple times on Xbox btw. It doesn't feel out of place on the platform at all.

I was just poking fun. I thought it was funny and ironic.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

It's just a fun thread. It's weird to see console warring in absolutely everything.

Sure, Halo on Switch tomorrow would suddenly feel natural to everyone.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Maybe he's not some loser who thinks it's weird to play a game on a different platform.

imagine being so consumed by console identity that you find it "weird" to play any game on a certain platform. The only "weird" thing is having that feeling in the first place.

What a bizzarely aggressive post. When you're used to a series using the same button prompts, on the same platform, being touted by marketing and fanbases as being a must have for certain platforms and you see it in another console it's kinda funny/weird. No one here is saying it's bad

Oct 25, 2017

Absolutely zero fun allowed on this website. It's not that fucking serious

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Not so much a thing anymore as games release on more platforms. However I will say back in the day seeing an Xbox 360 version of Final Fantasy XIII was strange at first.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
Jesus Christ, some of you people are genuinely weird.

Well, it may be because he doesn't make a very good one?
No, not really. It's entirely possible, depending on age and the kind of/amount of/place you've played games, that someone may have never experienced this particular feeling. He's not even attempting to make a point here, he's asking people what games made them feel this way, but there are a lot of clueless "Ugh games should be on all platforms" posts that CLEARLY don't get that's not the sentiment of the OP at ALL. You obviously included.

This trash tier post included.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Crash going multiplat, Sonic on Nintendo hardware, Spyro going multiplat, FFXIII being played on an Xbox system after the mainlines being exclusive pretty much since FFVII to Sony. In regards to the OP, Yakuza was originally pitched to Nintendo but they turned the series down. What could have been lol.

Not a "console warrior" or anything. But those games did feel weird playing on platforms other than their original ones.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
No, not really. It's entirely possible, depending on age and the kind of/amount of/place you've played games, that someone may have never experienced this particular feeling. He's not even attempting to make a point here, he's asking people what games made them feel this way, but there are a lot of clueless "Ugh games should be on all platforms" posts that CLEARLY don't get that's not the sentiment of the OP at ALL. You obviously included.
We're not allowed to answer "zero"? Because that's basically what we're doing.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Having Wonderful 101 nestled on my PS4 dashboard certainly feels weird, never thought that we would be here but I guess we are

Playing Sonic games on Wii was super weird as well

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Gears 3 on PS3 feels really weird.

Seriously, why does this build even exist?

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
999 is the only one I would say feels out-and-out wrong on anything not the DS (it's still a terrific game regardless, but those who have played will know why)

Aside from that, I'm more happy than anything else games go to more platforms that there isn't really any wrongness or weirdness.

Oddly enough within the same family, playing a mainline Pokemon game on the big screen without the likes of a peripheral like the Game Boy Player felt a little weird with Pokemon Shield.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Resident Evil 1 on Saturn was also a weird experience.

There are a bunch of examples of games that became so attached to PlayStation because of platform exclusive sequels that kinda feel weird remembering that they were also on Saturn.

Resident Evil
Tomb Raider
Wipeout

Like Wipeout. It's always wild to me how much of a PlayStation game that is yet I have a Saturn version sitting on my shelf. Let's not go into Wipeout 64...

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Metal Gear Solid V on PC with Xbox prompts was the last time this happened to me, and even then it was very fleeting

Nowadays I'm just immune to it until we get something absolutely bonkers like Mario on PS6 or something

LinkSlayer64

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2018
Any classic game I grew up with on a different system, it's why I actually haven't bought some modern ports, despite it being easier to run, I just want to use the same controller, FUEL MY NOSTALGIA.
It's also why I need an N64 controller adapter for PC, but I also need a better N64 control stick lmao. Kinda stuck there. Want to do randomizers, but the only controlers I have are shiiiiiiiiit.
Also I really need to pick up a blissbox, but 120 for the 4 players version, aghhhh.... just not a good time to be spending that :(
But port everything, seriously, I'm not bothered by it lol.

Hilbert

Oct 27, 2017
Pacific Northwest!
I would say Capcom VS SNK on the gamecube felt wrong, but that might be due to the controller.

Virtua Fighter on a non-sega system always kind of makes me sad.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
"Wrong" is too strong, but there are definitely a few that feel weird.

It felt fucking weird when Sonic started showing up on Nintendo platforms, let's be honest.

Currently, having a Steam page for Horizon: Zero Dawn feels weird.

Also, don't lie, if Nintendo games started showing up on Steam one day it would be weird as fuck.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Wrong wouldn't be the word I'd use, but Yakuza without PlayStation prompts always looks weird for me.

Oct 25, 2017
Is this "I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert)" thread but unironically?
If I wake up tomorrow and Halo Master Chief Collection is installed on my Switch or PS4, I'm allowed to find that a bit weird without actually complaining. That scenario is basically the sentiment of this thread. It's not that hard.