• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
#IAmNonbinary is trending on twitter and it's great to see so many voices and talented NB people.

Nov 27, 2019
That is a gorgeous photo.

Tangentially related, but my mom sent my daughter home with a block quilt they did that is totally trans pride colors. Absolutely unintentional on their part, I'm sure, but it's super cute.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Great thread. Obvious but worth highlighting and the later examples around Lineham and Pride say it all.

Shamash

Nov 25, 2019
Brazil
Always interesting to see how animals adapt to the changes in the landscape caused by humans. Off the top of my head is how swallows that nest near highways are evolving shorter wings to better dodge traffic (Source)

(i might not reply much of the time, but i always appreciate your informative posts, Kyuuji)

C.B.

Oct 26, 2017
England
Hey guys, I'm mostly a lurker and contemplated joining this OT for ages, like probably since it was made but was too cowardly to do so (and probably largely because I wasn't quite ready to accept nonbinary as a label)

1. What are your pronouns?

I have no preference, really. Like, it doesn't bother me too much either way. They/she/he is appropriate.

2. How do you like to describe your gender / identity? Are there any terms, identities, or affinities you like to evoke in describing yourself?

I guess I use the simple "I'm nonbinary" currently, but before there was a coined word I use to tell people, when asked who or what I was "online" i just said im whatever they wanted me to be or that I have no preference. There's not really an answer for this one sorry.

3. In your experience, does being non-binary feel like having no gender, many genders, fluctuating genders, or both / neither?

I really struggle this one because its not that I feel a lack of gender, but I don't really feel any specifics either. I just do what I want, wear what I want and act how I want. I really have a very difficult time with the concept of gender in the same way I do with race (I'm mixed race). People like to think of race as having definitive pieces, examples, and structure, but that literally falls apart when you're a combination of various recognised "racial groups". Suddenly I'm no ones, but also part of every group at the same and its just really confusing. Gender feels pretty much the same way. I just can't understand what "being male" or "being female" is. Like...what is that i dunno.

4. What's your favorite thing about being non-binary? What's your least favorite? What's something that has surprised you?

My favourite thing about coming to the realisation is that it's just sort of liberating. I use to work extra hard to fit into a specific set of rules to put on a pretence of my "birth gender" which gave me an extreme amount of grief. I was hyper conscious about my presentation to the world, and had a constant feeling that I would be outed as not being "feminine" at my core - that some how people would see me and saw I was pretending, and that would mean I was a "bad quality woman". It doesn't really make sense but i guess none of it does. But when I was free of that, I just... I don't know the world just opened up. It was like I could honestly do whatever I wanted. The lack of guilt from putting on a mask everyday washed away. And clothes shopping. The entire store is available to me. It's all mine!!

The worst thing is just trying to explain what i feel lol. In the end if someone doesn't get it I just tell people they wont understand like how they don't understand being mixed race is lmfao. For some reason people can accept that mixed race as a concept is something they cant experience and have sympathy for, but naturally being non-binary isn't. Ah well. I don't actually get a lot of grief for it tbh. Hardly anyone ever asks.

5. Has any people, media, art, music, etc. inspired your non-binary self-actualization? If so please share & feel free to elaborate!

Sailor Moon played a big part in this. Chyna from WWE (one of those do i want to -be her- or -be with her- situations). There are other really specific memories that are kind of strange, like in the film The Cell, when they had the body builder lady come after J-lo and my tiny child brain was like , completely fascinated. I also remember my mother showing me an article of a nonbinary person back in the early 2000s. They had a blog, and my mother showed me their photo - she thought I would find it interesting. It's weird because I'm certain my mother was well aware of how I was as a person far sooner than I would ever catch on to - anyway this person took hormones semi-regularly, and i just remember looking at this photo of them, lying in the grass and the happiness they had on their face. I was envious, but not in a resentful way. I just wanted to know that peace of self acceptance. I wish I could remember what the blog was or their name...Outside of that I was able to plenty experiment with gender expression through my art ( I use to post in the art thread a lot actually) - and was extremely lucky that my family was unconditionally supportive (my brothers would tease me sometimes but they always appreciated my work where they could), but most especially my mother and youngest sister. So I didn't have to rely on the expressions of others to come across the chance of understanding myself.

Incidentally I became much more aware of the whole term of Non-Bianry through people who enjoyed my work and expressing gratitude. So I have them to thank for that as well, for giving me some solace, however small it may be.

Anyway I finally decided to chime in because of that Buck Angel thread and it just made me nauseous. I don't really have a lot of people I can confide into who can really relate so i thought maybe I can find some peeps here; if anyone is still active....

P.s. its really late here and im extremely tired, and I'm already typo prone so half of this probably doesn't make sense lol. Happy to answer questions as well.

Shamash

Nov 25, 2019
Brazil
You'd probably appreciate this video, then : )

Neat video, very interesting stuff! (sorry for the late reply)

Hey guys, I'm mostly a lurker and contemplated joining this OT for ages, like probably since it was made but was too cowardly to do so (and probably largely because I wasn't quite ready to accept nonbinary as a label

Hello hello! I myself read this forum for the longest time before even bothering to register. Still, better later than never, so welcome to the OT!

Removed the dumsper-fire-tier rant. Remembered about it just now. Sorry

Sailor Moon played a big part in this [...].Outside of that I was able to plenty experiment with gender expression through my art ( I use to post in the art thread a lot actually) - and was extremely lucky that my family was unconditionally supportive (my brothers would tease me sometimes but they always appreciated my work where they could), but most especially my mother and youngest sister. So I didn't have to rely on the expressions of others to come across the chance of understanding myself.

Using sailor moon as a segue was always drawn to the way japanese media and games (at least the ones i've been exposed to) allowed male characters to have more feminine appearences (i'm AMAB), instead of the default "grizzled buzzcut, eats bullets for breakfast, hypermuscular, supermacho" type. Back to sailor moon, i loved to watch it, even if i don't remember much. My favorite sailor scout was mars, what character did you like most ?

You have really nice drawings in your twitter gallery, love the way you draw![/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Found out that one of my old school friends committed suicide last Friday. I've been feeling untethered of late.

Moods:

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
Just thought of something to ask since I'm cis...

If a canonically-nonbinary/genderqueer/enby character is voiced by someone who has a binarily gendered self-identity, is that okay or wrong?

I asked this both in Diversity |OT| and here, wasn't sure which was better.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Just thought of something to ask since I'm cis...

If a canonically-nonbinary/genderqueer/enby character is voiced by someone who has a binarily gendered self-identity, is that okay or wrong?

I asked this both in Diversity |OT| and here, wasn't sure which was better.
It doesn't strike me as necessarily wrong, but it means a lot when they are voiced by a nonbinary actor, especially with voice acting being as insular as it is.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't strike me as necessarily wrong, but it means a lot when they are voiced by a nonbinary actor, especially with voice acting being as insular as it is.
This would be my take as well. It was really great that Steven universe hired an NB voice actor for their character for instance.

Deleted member 14459

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hi. I just found this thread and while it seems inactive I'll post here just to vent some thoughts w/o going into other threads about sexuality/gender and suffer from impostor syndrome. Triggered by the ongoing 'sex through biology' debates that are ongoing. I almost never talk about this online, but I'm an intersex person, I have chromosome karyotype that does not match the sex written down for me at birth. I was raised as that sex/gender and was not 'diagnosed' until I was an adult. I am glad I was bc many things made sense for me after that.

He/She/They. I don't correct or make a point of this to others, they are markers for others to make sense of me and they can choose.

2. How do you like to describe your gender / identity? Are there any terms, identities, or affinities you like to evoke in describing yourself?

While not being aware that I was intersex as a child / teen I have never considered gender binaries to be anything but social constructs, my brain could not clearly make sense of the gender constructs I was being fed by the conservative church/school system. (To me this somehow suggests that science is wrong about designation of not only gender but sex to people in the first place, bc my brain 'knew') This actually is still an issue for me as I have messed up when coming in contact with the opposite of conservative ie. trans communities bc I have also struggled to make sense of that. This is because for me making a point of "gender =/ sex" is as uninteresting as the opposite ie "gender = sex"; to me they are pretty useless signifiers for all purpose.

Before I was 'diagnosed' I always felt I 'understand' the opposite sex better, most of my friends are are of the opposite sex. I have some physical features and psychological 'traits' that our culture has historically classified as 'outside' designated gendered norms while being raised in accordance to the sex assigned to me at birth. As I get older my body takes even more cues from my non designated sex due to various hormonal changes. but for good and bad I don't think any people (who I have not told) know I am an intersex person this is also bc my physical traits are not in any congruence with most syndrome descriptors. I have a quite clear gender identity (which prob comes closest to what you call non-binary) while a more unclear about sex, lol.

Currently it feels a bit heavy bc the erasure of intersex people is very visible in public and political discourse. When I was diagnosed I was clearly instructed about the non-necessity of telling other people (I was esp warned about telling my employers or employee healthcare, which otoh makes sense lol) since it would hardly be uncovered outside of such confessions. Which in retrospect is pretty fucked up.

3. In your experience, does being non-binary feel like having no gender, many genders, fluctuating genders, or both / neither?
It's evidently complicated for an intersex person to make sense of language that is only about gender but it's kind of both / neither.

4. What's your favorite thing about being non-binary? What's your least favorite? What's something that has surprised you?
I very lucky bc I have a preset 'condition' that legitimizes being nonconformist to gender conventions by all scientific accounts. I have it on paper that my chromosomes do not conform to my designated sex so I feel free to form my own gender constructs. If course otoh I feel like an impostor almost everywhere and I see no reason to tell people I am intersex in any of the cultures I am part of and I don't feel that I am part of the LGBTQ community, while I support their struggle.

5. Has any people, media, art, music, etc. inspired your non-binary self-actualization? If so please share & feel free to elaborate!
I have always been drawn to androgyne and non-gender conforming artists. The biggest impact has probable been the film Farinelli and Anohni, which formed me before being 'diagnosed'.( Just writing out 'diagnosed' feels fucked up, like it's some kind of disease lol.)

6. Is there anything else you'd like to share or say?
No, just wanted to remind everyone no to erase intersex people.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
This thread doesn't seem super active these days, but I didn't realize we had an enby OT until I was idly flipping through the ETC hangouts so I feel like I should say hi. Achem.

Any/depends on how I'm feeling.

I usually just say I'm queer because urgggh. For more specificity I'd consider myself somewhere in the vicinity of agender and genderfluid in not wanting much to do with gender as an experience and in being somewhat mercurial in my feeling and expression related to it.

Uuh, see above? Gender is a pain in the ass a lot of the time and I'm just vibing, you know? I feel like the more I extricate myself from it all the more freedom I have to fluidly and genuinely be myself.

I like the feeling of being genuinely free to explore my own sense of identity without having to worry about gendered expectations, and my particular sense of queer theory also synchs up with some of my general life and political philosophy in a way I find satisfying. Least favorite is definitely the impostor thing. I'm AMAB and generally present male because I don't feel much distinct dysphoria and dealing with people sucks, so I definitely grapple a lot with not feeling queer enough or not feeling NB enough (this has been very complicated recently since I have no physical queer spaces to attend now).

Revolutionary Girl Utena was a big one for me in the way it got me thinking about the social aspect of gender performance and how trying to fit gender roles that don't work for you can be damaging. Other than that I feel like it's a lot of little things but not necessarily a lot of big stuff that stands out.

If anyone ever has recommendations for queer sci-fi/fantasy/weird fiction please for the love of god send it to me. I'm on my way to exhausting Neon Hemlock and Lethe Press' catalogs and I need more weird queer books to read.

Also Rupetta is your avatar the cover art of Octavia's Brood? Cause that's rad.

OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
This thread doesn't seem super active these days, but I didn't realize we had an enby OT until I was idly flipping through the ETC hangouts so I feel like I should say hi. Achem.

Any/depends on how I'm feeling.

I usually just say I'm queer because urgggh. For more specificity I'd consider myself somewhere in the vicinity of agender and genderfluid in not wanting much to do with gender as an experience and in being somewhat mercurial in my feeling and expression related to it.

Uuh, see above? Gender is a pain in the ass a lot of the time and I'm just vibing, you know? I feel like the more I extricate myself from it all the more freedom I have to fluidly and genuinely be myself.

I like the feeling of being genuinely free to explore my own sense of identity without having to worry about gendered expectations, and my particular sense of queer theory also synchs up with some of my general life and political philosophy in a way I find satisfying. Least favorite is definitely the impostor thing. I'm AMAB and generally present male because I don't feel much distinct dysphoria and dealing with people sucks, so I definitely grapple a lot with not feeling queer enough or not feeling NB enough (this has been very complicated recently since I have no physical queer spaces to attend now).

Revolutionary Girl Utena was a big one for me in the way it got me thinking about the social aspect of gender performance and how trying to fit gender roles that don't work for you can be damaging. Other than that I feel like it's a lot of little things but not necessarily a lot of big stuff that stands out.

If anyone ever has recommendations for queer sci-fi/fantasy/weird fiction please for the love of god send it to me. I'm on my way to exhausting Neon Hemlock and Lethe Press' catalogs and I need more weird queer books to read.

Also Rupetta is your avatar the cover art of Octavia's Brood? Cause that's rad.
Most people chat in the discord, it seems this thread is mostly for introductions and a way to invite people.

Feel free to drop me a PM if you would like a link.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Slight aside, I need to make more use of the term mercurial. Such a metal (heh) way to describe shifting thoughts.

More to the point, as astro said, we tend to lurk more on the discord than this thread. I should make a greater attempt to post some memes or something here just to give this thread a bump every now and then.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
hi gaz

i always knew you were cool
Nobody cooler than us B)
Most people chat in the discord, it seems this thread is mostly for introductions and a way to invite people.

Feel free to drop me a PM if you would like a link.
Slight aside, I need to make more use of the term mercurial. Such a metal (heh) way to describe shifting thoughts.

More to the point, as astro said, we tend to lurk more on the discord than this thread. I should make a greater attempt to post some memes or something here just to give this thread a bump every now and then.
Thank you both, I will send a PM!

Oct 25, 2017
Hey all. Just stopping by to post a video I found helpful. It's about the de-transitioning narrative, but is also helpful for non-binary people who are (de)transitioning, thinking about (de)transitioning. It certainly gave me a bit more confidence.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Hey all!

I've recently come out as nonbinary, and I was recommended to come here by my girlfriend, Sophia. I've been grappling with this for several years now, I had already talked to my girlfriend a bunch over the years with not feeling like I "fit in" with my assigned gender (male), but also not really feeling like I "wasn't male enough" to be on the LGBT+ spectrum. I don't feel dysphoria, and I don't feel like I hate being male, just that I don't feel like I fit in, and thought that meant I can't possibly fit in with the LGBT+ spectrum. It became readily apparent something was there when I noticed that in online games playing as a female character (mostly in FFXIV), I kind of felt elated and almost accomplished in a way when I was referred to by my character's gender rather than mine, and it didn't feel "wrong". It took me a very long time to realize that I don't need dysphoria to realize I'm not cis, and that male leaning doesn't mean I can't be genderfluid or nonbinary.

It kind of just...happened a few days ago. I was talking to my girlfriend some more about how I don't understand why and how I feel like LGBT+ stuff includes me even when it doesn't (well, at the time) and that people making fun of or attacking LGBT+ people felt like I'M being attacked too, when I'm a cis male (at the time). We threw a bunch of ideas at the wall and the idea of me being genderfluid or nonbinary came up again, and she showed me that I fit the criteria for nonbinary. I gave it some thought and tried it out and it just, felt right, and I really wasn't expecting it to just, finally click. It's been years and I finally figured it out, and I came out that same day. I was honestly almost laughing to myself in disbelief, I just couldn't believe it just clicked like that.

It's been a few days and I'm still getting used to it. I've expressed to my girlfriend that it still feels like I'm "trespassing" a bit on LGBT+ people for calling myself nonbinary, that because I'm male leaning that I shouldn't classify as nonbinary, even though I still don't feel like "male" describes me the same way that nonbinary does now. I don't know how common it is to feel this way after coming out, but I know for a fact that I'm happier and feel more "myself" calling myself nonbinary. I feel liberated, free, like a mental block just vanished in my head and I can be who I want to be without making countless excuses for myself. I've been male all my life, so it's been tough rewiring my mind to not constantly question my every move and ask if this was the right path for me, which is why I was recommended to introduce myself here.

Crossposting my introduction here from the LGBT+ OT, but I checked here too and I watched a few of the videos in the OP. Specifically, the "Am I Valid?" and "How do you know you're 'real'?" videos. They've already been a massive help at already understanding some of the feelings in my head that have shown up now after coming out, and how to attempt to quell that persistent, nagging voice that keeps questioning my validity and realness now. Thanks for all the resources in this OT, I'm definitely putting this OT on my watch list.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Heyaaaa

I've wound up doing quite a lot of soul searching this year about who I really am and what I want from life, and if I'm not completely settled in my answers yet, I at least have words I feel comfortable with now. I'll echo Cenauru's post just above and say that this thread's resources were a precious source of perspectives that did a lot to get me pointed in a direction that felt right when I went looking for answers a few months ago. And since it's been an entire month now since I started identifying as nonbinary to myself, I figured I should come back and say hi properly. :)

They/them. My brain agrees by now, usually.

Nonbinary works in general. I like the way enby looks and rolls off the tongue, but it's definitely something I'd only use for myself.

None/Agender is the glove that fits. I'm not convinced the concept of gender still serves a useful function in society at all, but that's the world we live in and I'm certainly not going to argue with anyone for whom identifying with gender in some capacity makes them happy. For myself, though, nah.

Favorite: The liberating sense that my self-expression is only limited by who I am, not what I'm seen as. Least favorite: The lingering dread that I'm not nonbinary enough to qualify, or that I've somehow gotten it all wrong.

Not the most active thread or anything, but if I can't come out to strangers on the internet I'm never going to be able to tell people I actually know. =p

Shamash

Nov 25, 2019
Brazil
Hello everyone,

Could i get a link to the discord ? I will 100% understand if i'm not granted access, given the stupid nonsense i've said in the past. I feel less and less like coming back to era. After the forumwide revolt was over i thought things would improve, that this place listens, but shortly after that they started getting worse and after the asian userbase of the forum left the decline started feeling pretty steep.

Truth is that for the longest time i lurked this forum, like i did many other forums before. That changed after i found some communities on the forum, especially this one, even if i barely interacted with the people posting despite having an account (major diference from the before times), and now i feel like i can lose this community (what is left of it, anyway), and that scares me.

Again, i will 100% understand if i'm not given entry to the discord.

Snowybreak

Oct 25, 2017
It seems that I never posted I this thread. I came in to see if anything had been posted recently, and only realized then that I'd never even posted here. Kinda depressing to be honest.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
It seems that I never posted I this thread. I came in to see if anything had been posted recently, and only realized then that I'd never even posted here. Kinda depressing to be honest.
The thread is super slow. yeah. I never feel like I have much to contribute with but I keep it on watch for whenever there's new posts.

Thirteen

Mar 22, 2021
I know this thread is dead but hey I like introducing myself.

They/Them.

I present masc, but I'm not masc at all lol. If I was out I'd just be wearing earrings, having colorful hair and nails.

I think I'm more into the multiple genders or fluctuating ones. Although in a perfect world gender shouldn't exist and everyone should present as and do whatever the fuck they want. Only asking about sex in the hospital or before boning.

No defined gender roles or expectations. Unless you look a very specific way people can't tell that you are not binary. It surprised me how comfortable the label has been for the way I feel and act.

No?

Why is our flag so ugly?

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
Why is our flag so ugly?
Not gonna lie, not a day goes by that I don't think "Wow. The trans flag is just kind of perfect huh."

Not to say the non binary flag hasn't grown on me over time, but there's undoubtedly a massive difference between the two for me in terms of aesthetic appeal.

Thirteen

Mar 22, 2021
Not gonna lie, not a day goes by that I don't think "Wow. The trans flag is just kind of perfect huh."

Not to say the non binary flag hasn't grown on me over time, but there's undoubtedly a massive difference between the two for me in terms of aesthetic appeal.
Personally I love the pan flag. It's gay enough without being a literal rainbow. I even stole its colors for a personal project for straight audience.

Nov 27, 2019
I'm not a fan of the NB flag either, but I prefer it over Genderqueer, I guess. I'm not not a fan of any of the pride flags that have green on them for some reason.

Now the Genderfluid pride flag, there's a flag I like šŸ˜

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
The problem isn't the colors, but the design. Flat lines don't do them justice.

ur,mounted_print_wood_portrait_small_front,wide_portrait,750x1000.1.jpg

flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
Signed it myself, it's almost at 100K at this point.

Gender as an "issue" in the UK is (to be frank) full of a load of transphobic bullshit, so I'm not getting my hopes up here, but if it happens then I am absolutely not complaining. Fingers crossed, at least!

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
Update on the UK petition that I just got an email about, spoiler alert it's unfortunately nothing surprising. :/

As set out in the response to the Gender Recognition Act consultation, there are no plans to make changes to the 2004 Act.
Following a considerable amount of consultation with the public and representative organisations, the Government decided that the current provisions within the GRA allow for those that wish to legally change their sex to do so fairly.
The 2018 GRA consultation did not bring forward any proposals to extend the GRA to provide legal recognition to a third, or non-binary, gender. The Government noted that there were complex practical consequences for other areas of the law, service provision and public life if provision were to be made for non-binary gender recognition in the GRA.
In UK law individuals are considered to be the sex that is registered on their birth certificate ā€“ either male or female. The GRA provides a means for transgender people to change the sex on their birth certificate, but there is currently no provision for those who do not identify as male or female.
This Government wants everybody in the UK to feel safe and confident to be themselves.
We are committed to tackling all forms of homophobic, biphobic and transphobic hate crime, and are working with the Home Office on the cross-Government Hate Crime Action Plan. The Government has asked the Law Commission to review the current hate crime legislation, which includes exploring whether homophobic, biphobic and transphobic hate crime should be considered an aggravated offence. We will also take an assessment of local support for hate crime victims and improve reporting and recording of LGBT hate crimes through supporting additional police training.
Following Parliamentary approval on 8th October 2020, voluntary questions on sexual orientation and gender identity were included in the 2021 Census for England and Wales which took place on Sunday 21 March 2021. Final data on sexual orientation and gender identity from the 2021 Census for England and Wales will likely be available from 2023, with initial Census findings planned for publication in March 2022 (timelines subject to change as work progresses). This will help to provide more robust population size estimates for England and Wales than are currently available.
This Government is committed to supporting all LGBT people, tackling discrimination and improving the lives of all citizens.
Cabinet Office

"The Government is committed to supporting all LGBT people", uh huh, sure.

Ghostswillpass

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, thats a really empty and long-winded way of saying no.

But hey, getting over 100K signatures is still an massive achievement.

Nov 27, 2019
I continually toy with whether I want to get the non-binary marker on my driver's license in my state. I have some fear about what happens when I get pulled over by a cop who notices it.