• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2328

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It'd be interesting to see if peeps answering no are the majority in their country.

I have plenty of Asian American friends that have gotten guns lately (or much higher interest in getting one for self defense) due to the increase in hate crimes/racism in US due to covid.
You have to understand that in Europe even for racial motivated crimes very few actually involve guns.
In Portugal most gun death are actually passion crimes in somewhat rural areas committed with hunting firearms.

Faith

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Absolutely not, there is literally no reason to have one and I'd be putting myself at serious risk if I could easily get one.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Oh god no. Aren't people more likely to harm themselves or others they care about than intruders?

Im in Canada.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
I've never felt unsafe where I live and I lived in Toronto for 30 years.

So, no.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
HELL TO THE FUCKING NO.
I probably wouldn't STAY in a country where it would be feasible to own a gun in the first place. One of the reasons why I don't plan on setting foot in the US in the foreseeable future, they can keep this shit confined to their dystopian hellhole, thanks.

Yes I would, I've fired several handguns in the past and I could easily get one if I wanted one.

I think you missed the part where OP asked non-Americans for their opinions. As someone from Connecticut as your profile location states, I fail to see how your answer has any value for the purpose of this thread.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
HELL TO THE FUCKING NO.
I probably wouldn't STAY in a country where it would be feasible to own a gun in the first place. One of the reasons why I don't plan on setting foot in the US in the foreseeable future, they can keep this shit confined to their dystopian hellhole, thanks.

I think you missed the part where OP asked non-Americans for their opinions. As someone from Connecticut as your profile location states, I fail to see how your answer has any value for the purpose of this thread.
But you can own (for example) a handgun in France though?

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
But you can own (for example) a handgun in France though?

"In France, to buy a weapon, in line with the European Firearms Directive, a hunting license or a shooting sport license is necessary depending on the type, function and magazine capacity of the weapon."

Suffice to say guns are gated behind the incredibly annoying heavy and slow machine that is France's administrative structure, and that I never ever met anyone who owned a gun, or knew anyone who owned a gun, ever. This shit barely exists here.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
"In France, to buy a weapon, in line with the European Firearms Directive, a hunting license or a shooting sport license is necessary depending on the type, function and magazine capacity of the weapon."

Suffice to say guns are gated behind the incredibly annoying heavy and slow machine that is France's administrative structure, and that I never ever met anyone who owned a gun, or knew anyone who owned a gun, ever.
It's the same pretty much everywhere in Europe where you can own a gun. But you can own a gun if you put some effort into it. So perhaps a bit more nuance is in order.
The cases in which they are allowed are so limited that you're highly likely to never meet a French person who owns a gun.
This more a gun culture thing, I think.

Here's a fun table for legislation in a lot of countries.

zuf

Oct 25, 2017
No man. I don't like even seeing guns. I wouldn't want to hold one or own one at all.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Absolutely no fucking way in hell. Hell, if guns were made legal here I would probably move to a different country.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
But you can own a gun if you put some effort into it. So perhaps a bit more nuance is in order.

No, it's not just "some effort into it". You have no idea the numbers of loops you'd have to jump through to prove you are worthy of owning a gun, and even then, the type of scrutiny that you'd be under for owning a gun, and the type of effort you'd have to make to prove you're prepared to make it the least dangerous as possible. And not any gun, at that. Only certain types will be available to you depending on the type of permit you've requested.

People aren't messing with that kind of shit, the control over it is extremely tight, and this is why we don't have mass-murders every day of the week.

YMB

Nov 6, 2017
This shit barely exists here.
France actually has a very high firearm ownership rate in comparison to the rest of Europe tho its mainly involving long guns. While I dont live in France i have talked to quite a few French, German and Scottish sports shooters over the years who i get the feeling would never openly disclose they have firearms unless the government comes asking. Chances are pretty good the people are out there you just dont know it since guns tend to be more taboo outside of the US.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I know the title is making some assumptions since a. it's not easy to get a gun everywhere in the US and b. the US isn't the only country where it can be easy to get them, but assuming most of the board lives in countries where it's at least more difficult if not borderline impossible, would you get a gun if it were easier to do so? Or if it's already not that difficult where you are and you are not currently a gun owner, have you ever considered it? This can be for any reason but I assume most of the yes answers would be for reasons besides self-defense.

I've never been interested in one for 'self defense' or whatever but I've sometimes thought owning a .22lr pistol or a benelli or something for range use might be fun.

It's something I've thought about as an asian American.

I've seen people talking about that it won't get so bad where you won't need it if society starts to break down. But you saw the extreme shortages at the start of the pandemic, you saw the breakdowns in logistics and transprotation.

You've seen the population boil down to 'f**k you, got mine'. You've seen that attitude here on era.

So hand gun? Rifle? No, but a shot gun with buckshot? It's possible .

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
No, it's not just "some effort into it". You have no idea the numbers of loops you'd have to jump through to prove you are worthy of owning a gun, and even then, the type of scrutiny that you'd be under for owning a gun, and the type of effort you'd have to make to prove you're prepared to make it the least dangerous as possible. And not any gun, at that. Only certain types will be available to you depending on the type of permit you've requested.

People aren't messing with that kind of shit, the control over it is extremely tight, and this is why we don't have mass-murders every day of the week.
Yes, and as I said this is also the case for pretty much every EU country where you can own a gun. So perhaps you're talking about sensible restrictions to gun ownership?

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Happy to see Americans knowing more about my own country than I do. That's refreshing!

Yes, and as I said this is also the case for pretty much every EU country where you can own a gun. So perhaps you're talking about sensible restrictions to gun ownership?

I can deal with the restrictions my country have in place, they're working well enough so far. But I'd be even better if that crap was flat-out banned.

Rolodzeo

Nov 10, 2017
Spain, EU
In my opinion, guns are for police and military personnel, not civilians (except in extremely limited cases such as hunting, shooting sports, etc). So, no, I wouldn't.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I imagine because of things like terrorism, the process for getting a gun in France can be even more restrictive than it already is in other EU countries. But honestly I have no idea.
It is quite restricted everywhere in EU, especially for handguns. My point was that you can get a gun in most EU countries, people just don't because the gun culture is different and people don't own guns for fun.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
HELL TO THE FUCKING NO.

I'll be honest, I completely misread the thread title, that's on me my bad

PunishedOkabe

From a certain point of view, this isn't a copy
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Legit question for people saying no- How do you kill the 30-50 feral hogs that run into your yard within 3-5 mins while your small kids play?

Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
It'd be interesting to see if peeps answering no are the majority in their country.

I have plenty of Asian American friends that have gotten guns lately (or much higher interest in getting one for self defense) due to the increase in hate crimes/racism in US due to covid.

In Poland in past 10 years there were 263 murders or attempted murders using firearms (little more if you include gas and pneumatic guns). In 2019 there were total 659 crimes involving guns. I have no doubt this number would be higher if guns were more common.