• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Omg bro my mom made the best American Chop Suey. Shit now I have to call her and have make some. We are now chop suey buddies for life..lol

The best kind!

I pulled a good american chop suey recipe from google a few years ago and used to make it all the time, until my wife was pregnant and the smell of onions made her puke all day ..... and we haven't had it since.

Divisive question: Do you put ketchup on your American chop suey? Sounds crazy and gross, but it's the way we grew up eating it so I still love it that way

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
twitter_E_fzKLyXsAcGrne.jpg
Yikesss

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Also big in Canada. Dipping pizza in ranch is the ultimate secret sauce. It works so well!

Maybe it's different in Ottawa or Ontario. But here it's always garlic dipping sauce, never Ranch. Probably thanks to our huge number of Lebanese/Syrian restaurants, and the fact that most pizza places are Lebanese and Syrian as well.

Nov 4, 2017
As an Australian who has visited the US, I think we have a pretty good idea of "American food" through cultural imperialism. We grow up hearing about all your brands and foods because so much of what's on our TVs is from the US.

I think the most American food (or food-like substance) is High Fructose Corn Syrup. Even bread has HFCS in it. What the hell is wrong with you people?

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
Rbio2AY.png

This is promotional material for Finnish restaurant chain Classic American Diner which advertises "real American atmoshpere".

Looks very colorful More like Real American 50s Atmosphere. We still have places like this in the U.S. though, I've seen at least one 'classic' 50s aesthetic diner in every city I've been to in the U.S. More of a novelty than anything, but some go beyond the whole burger/fries thing with more interesting or decadent food recipes.

waterpuppy

Too green for a tag
Jul 17, 2021
Pan pizza and American sliced cheese, maybe. Mac 'n' cheese.
Oh yeah, how could I forget pan pizza! I still get cravings for this specific brand of frozen pan pizza because of the "teen food" nostalgia it gives me.
i1cE8j8.jpg

IIRC they used to be more obnoxious with the stars and stripes design on the packaging back in the day.

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
Here we have 'American fried rice' on a lot of menus. I have no idea what makes it American. It just seems like it has more soy sauce on it.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
The idea of a Hamburger being an American thing has always been funny little etymological wrinkle in history.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Meatloaf. Apple Pie. Burgers. Hot Dogs. Ranch Dressing/Sauce - not sure what Americans call it. Don't think we have it at all in the UK. Nor Meatloaf now I come to think on it. Apple Pie, burgers, and hot dogs are swimming out our asses of course. Not sure what else? Peanut Butter seems to be quintessentially American. I presume Jelly is the same as our Jam but you never know. Peanut Butter and Marmalade - wonder what that is like lol Paddington crying in a corner somewhere no doubt.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017

Lol, where are these located? It's liked they chose a random state on the map of USA and added "fried chicken" to it, since NONE of these places are really known for the food.

A&W bills itself as "All-American Food" so for a long time I've equated fast food in general with American food.

A&W US and Canada are 2 separate beasts. I much prefer it in Canada (where I swear it's not nearly as greasy, for fast food) and doesn't have all these extra things on the menu, like hot dogs and chili dogs.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
Meatloaf. Apple Pie. Burgers. Hot Dogs. Ranch Dressing/Sauce - not sure what Americans call it. Don't think we have it at all in the UK. Nor Meatloaf now I come to think on it. Apple Pie, burgers, and hot dogs are swimming out our asses of course. Not sure what else? Peanut Butter seems to be quintessentially American. I presume Jelly is the same as our Jam but you never know. Peanut Butter and Marmalade - wonder what that is like lol Paddington crying in a corner somewhere no doubt.

if you wanna get real american go peanut butter and

ZGiym11l.jpg

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, where are these located? It's liked they chose a random state on the map of USA and added "fried chicken" to it, since NONE of these places are really known for the food.

gwilymlockwood.com

Alaska Fried Chicken: the UK’s curious approach to naming chicken shops.

I went a little bit viral a couple of weeks ago when I tweeted about chicken shops in the UK which are named after American states which aren’t Kentucky. If I’d thought about it, I&#821…

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
The fuck what?
Where is this a thing? So I can go there immediately.

nah, I said earlier it was a brainfart and I was talking about free refill (soda) drinks, lmao
my bad, I don't wanna get anybody's hopes up. I was originally gonna talk about "big milkshakes and free refill drinks" but it came out all mangled, lol

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
When I first saw this as a kid I legit thought that was just how Japanese donuts looked. Like they were coated in coconut flakes or something.

I can see how kids would think that. I'm glad we're now past the "weird Japanese foods, kids won't get this, so let's use something more AmErIcAn to be familiar!"

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Finally was able to watch the videos. A few impressions:

1) Marshmallow Fluff is often written off as a bizarre novelty that Americans do not actually eat that only appears in international food sections, but Marshmallow Fluff is very commonly consumed in New England (where it originates). The "Fluffernutter" is second fiddle to only the PB&J when it comes to childhood lunchboxes. It's far from a staple or anything, I only buy about a container a year, but it's something as a New England native I take for granted. I get that this is regional though, so if you were not from the northeast you may not even know what it is. But I still think regional favorites with strong reputations are still representative of American food rather than an exaggerated misfire.

2) Later in the video they show a picture of "American Cookies" from Germany which are chocolate icing on one side and vanilla on the other side. Contrary to its presence in this video, this is indeed a typical American confection that I think is correct to associate with the United States. This is called a black and white cookie and they are sold almost everywhere. They also originate in New York City, where if anyone is going to visit the United States they would probably visit. They are a famous American cookie and the subject of plenty of pop culture, including an famous Seinfeld episode.

As an American I had no idea Marshmallow Fluff was regional, but then again I haven't thought about it since elementary school.

I'm also really surprised that black and white/half moon cookies are an American thing. They seem like a pretty obvious confectionary choice and they're incredible. There's tons of different ways to make them too, from tiny ones with hard frosting to ones that are super soft and slathered with frosting. Adding lemon to the cookie is incredible.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
They also call raw ground beef as Filet American

That's not exactly right. It's called filet americain; and its basically similar to the French/Belgian steak tartare, or tartare préparé (but with a twist to it). It most likely has its origins there given the similarity. There are various stories regarding its name, but one of them is that it hails from the WW2-era and that some of the first variants got also mixed with steak sauce that was popular with the American soldiers. A different story is that it used to be made from horse meat (instead of beef) and it got branded "americain" because 'cowboys and indians ride horses'. Another different story is that some belgian chef thought it would be a hip name. And another one is that it got introduced by a chef at the Café Americain (the cafe at the American Hotel in Amsterdam). But it has been around way longer than actual "popular American foods".

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
American here, this sounds real good

its more yellow-greenish, and it is actually reaaaally good.

part of that maybe that you used to only be able to get it at McDonald's (probably where the "American connection comes from).
I had an aunt who worked for the R&D department at Heinz who used to smuggle out bottles of the stuff when they were trying to formulate a home version. 😎

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
its more yellow-greenish, and it is actually reaaaally good.

part of that maybe that you used to only be able to get it at McDonald's (probably where the "American connection comes from).
I had an aunt who worked for the R&D department at Heinz who used to smuggle out bottles of the stuff when they were trying to formulate a home version. 😎
Yo, that's hilarious. I'm guessing Heinz never succeeded in recreating the magic?

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
That's not exactly right. It's called filet americain; and its basically similar to the French/Belgian steak tartare, or tartare préparé (but with a twist to it). It most likely has its origins there given the similarity. There are various stories regarding its name, but one of them is that it hails from the WW2-era and that some of the first variants got also mixed with steak sauce that was popular with the American soldiers. A different story is that it used to be made from horse meat (instead of beef) and it got branded "americain" because 'cowboys and indians ride horses'. Another different story is that some belgian chef thought it would be a hip name. And another one is that it got introduced by a chef at the Café Americain (the cafe at the American Hotel in Amsterdam). But it has been around way longer than actual "popular American foods".

Its pre-war (1920's) but yeah. I couldn't eat it like they do in Belgian restaurants though, a big pile of it and dip your fries in it.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
We have a huge neighborhood Halloween party every year. A few years ago, we invited a Japanese family who lived here in the states for a few years as part of the husband's career of working in a Japanese factory. It's common to have these families pop in for 3-4 years then rotate back to Japan only to be replaced by another Japanese family in the same position at the local factory. ANYWAY... Our girls were in the same grade so we saw the family often. We always tried to include that family in everything we could. The wife was amazing. She was so curious and inquisitive about any and everything "American". We loved that woman to death and were super sad to see them return to Japan after only a few years as friends. Our Halloween parties are no fucking joke. The entire house is decorated with tons of scary and disturbing imagery, lots of blood and gore. We have classic horror movie trailers playing on all the TVs and a Halloween music mix playing over it all. You get the pic. My wife makes all the themed foods you see in magazines and such. She plans it all out, takes the day off of work, and just cooks and creates for 12 hours straight. No one brings food to our parties. My wife insists on doing it all. When it was time for the Japanese family to eat, they were on cloud 9 looking at all the stuff my wife made. They would eat something then chatter back and forth in Japanese (the husband could speak very little English and the wife was shaky at best). But goddamn they were so *into* everything that it was a riot. He kept asking me if he could take pictures of everything in my house. My Lego collection was a major source of entertainment for him.

At the end of the evening, we were chatting and asked them what they thought of the food. The wife chatted with the husband a bit and enthusiastically replied "Very American" with a huge smile and laugh. Such a great memory.

Tanerian

Feb 24, 2018
nah, I said earlier it was a brainfart and I was talking about free refill (soda) drinks, lmao
my bad, I don't wanna get anybody's hopes up. I was originally gonna talk about "big milkshakes and free refill drinks" but it came out all mangled, lol
Lol alright. Figured it was too good to be true!

amon37

Oct 27, 2017
The best kind!

I pulled a good american chop suey recipe from google a few years ago and used to make it all the time, until my wife was pregnant and the smell of onions made her puke all day ..... and we haven't had it since.

Divisive question: Do you put ketchup on your American chop suey? Sounds crazy and gross, but it's the way we grew up eating it so I still love it that way

I didn't do ketchup. My parents didn't use it but there was enough tomatoes in it.

Oct 27, 2017
Aside from a lot of your standard fast-food kinda stuff, oddly enough milkshakes. Can't say for how or why, but I've always associated milkshakes with the states.