• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
How would you feel if at E3 next year they show a new trailer for FFVII remake...

...and then at the very end the FF and VII split appart...

...and an X appears between them.

FFXVII

A remake of FFVII with an added scenario that explains how FFX is a prequel!111

FFX FFVII FF-X-VII

:P

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
How can anyone be saying early 2020 after what happened with FFXV

This shit is 2021 at the earliest

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Woot! What will SE haters complain about once KH3 and FF7R have been released? Any unreleased announced projects left on the list?

Red Dead Redemption 2 apparently took 8 years. I dunno if that's true or not.
RDR2 is far from being the rule, c'mon. FFVIIR wont be as big, engrossing or have as high a budget as that game. Few companies can throw hundreds of millions of dollars to produce a single game as Rockstar does.

FFVIIR is a big project but its not GTA levels of big.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
They might as well scrap the episode plan and just make the entire game for next gen. At this rate it will probably be released in another 5 years under Nomura.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh I hope they make another Uncovered event just to cancel everything they announced including the release date two months later.

So many memories.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
DPpfaxpUIAAlLyK.jpg

DPpfbwLVoAA8cjA.jpg

DPpfcwHVwAAYfKn.jpg

DPpfdr0U8AEI53J.jpg

This was about 2018.

I believe these comments when I see actual reveals.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Aaand another "FFVIIR's development is going smoothly" comment to add to my big pile from this year according to Kitase, Hamaguchi, Hashimoto, and SE's president Matsuda (also Uematsu accidentally leaked that at some point FFVIIR was actually supposed to release this year, lol):

Jan 2018:
Kitase-san mentioned that the game's development is going well. Asked his goal for 2018, he explained that about the remake he'd like to work on "comfort," also playing on words by mentioning that on a personal level hopes to take it easy (using the same word, "raku" which means "ease" or "comfort") if possible.

Source.

Feb 2018:
Hamaguchi goes on, after Nomura leaves, to comment on the long draught of info since the first trailers, and apologizes. He goes on to say that the project has moved completely in-house, and is again, progressing very smoothly. At the current point they're at the stage where they're basically cramming a bunch of stuff into the game, but once they hit the stage of polishing up the look of things and can deliver something with suffuciently high quality, they will be releasing new footage.

He anticipates this will be in the near future due to how smoothly things are progressing.

Kitase then signs us off by making the joke previously mentioned in the thread, saying he wishes to keep on polishing up the game for the 35th anniversary, to which they all laugh and Hamaguchi responds objectingly "Hey that's a long ways off!"
He then however, also goes on to say that a lot is hanging on the next (presumably big) event, and that they're hoping to show off (the game) by then.

Source.

June 2018:
It's been three years since we've seen anything from Square Enix regarding its episodic remake of Final Fantasy VII. The game was a no-show again at E3 this year, but it remains in development, according to Tetsuya Nomura, who has a hand in the title along with directing Kingdom Hearts III. "We are developing [Final Fantasy VII] in parallel, and it's not just in the early concept stages," he tells The Verge. "We are actually in development."

The longtime Square Enix developer says he's been giving equal effort to both highly anticipated games. "So right now, it's like I've been putting in 100 percent into Kingdom Hearts, 100 percent into Final Fantasy VII, 100 percent into Kingdom Hearts... just going back and forth," he says. "It's just like [working on] two titles is just going to be one [after Kingdom Hearts III's launch]. That's pretty much how I see it."

Source.

June 2018:
Final Fantasy VII Remake director Tetsuya Nomura commented on the status of the game's development in the latest issue of Weekly Famitsu.

Here are the tidbits:
"We're trying to figure out when we will put out the next news release."​
"Production is going well."​
"The scenario will also delve into the members of Avalanche."​
"[Development] is moving along more than expected, so please wait for the next news release with peace of mind."​

Source.

June 2018:
Square Enix Holdings 38th General Meeting of Stockholders [June 2018]

Question: Regarding Final Fantasy VII Remake, it's been three years since it was announced at E3 2015. About what percentage has development progressed?

Shinji Hashimoto: "I can't say a single word about that. As it has been reported, we took a second look at the development structure and continued from there. It's certainly hitting its milestones accordingly."

Yosuke Matsuda: "There is a lot being said about it, but it's progressing as it should so please don't fret. Things are coming along well."

Source.

June 2018:
When asked about Final Fantasy VII Remake during a recent interview, director Tetsuya Nomura said he acknowledges that there's been some fake news [Likely about the rumored 2023 release window] and fans may feel uneasy about it but he said the development is going favorably and solidifying.

However, Nomura said that the lack of new information on Final Fantasy VII Remake has nothing to do with its development Status. According to the director, the reason for this is because Square Enix is prioritizing the release of other titles, including Kingdom Hearts III.

Square Enix is currently looking ahead for a possible timing to release new information on Final Fantasy VII Remake, and Nomura asked fans to wait a little while longer. Kingdom Hearts III releases in January 25-29, 2019, so hopefully we'll get a more steady flow of news on the game after its release.

Source.

Dec 2018:
Kitase:

Keyword: Long-awaited!

Thoughts: Development on Final Fantasy 7 Remake is progressing smoothly! I would like to try hard to meet the expectations of fans.

Source.

Let's hope we won't have to keep coming back to these quotes in a few years because the development actually turned out to be a mess again :(

Last edited:

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
Woot! What will SE haters complain about once KH3 and FF7R have been released? Any unreleased announced projects left on the list?

Red Dead Redemption 2 apparently took 8 years. I dunno if that's true or not.

When they get released in a good condition then there will be no complains.

If they will do what they did to XV then it'll be a disaster.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
I'm also getting some hard Versus XIII deja-vu again, that game kept getting 'we are planning on revealing more information soon' comments.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Exactly! Yuji Horii is the one person from Square Enix Japan that does this. How much time did it pass between him announcing DQXI and releasing it over there? I dont think it was more than two years!

Anything more than that between announcement and release is stupid. Sony also does this but not as bad.

It was exactly two years. Dragon Quest XI had its first reveal in the summer of 2015.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was exactly two years. Dragon Quest XI had its first reveal in the summer of 2015.
And he also delivered a spectacular game, without any behind the scenes drama, delays, engine or team changes and he did it while delivering basically two very different versions of the same game on two very different platforms.

When was the last time we had a mainline FF that wasn't filled with endless troubles? FFX more than 17 years ago? Jesus.

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
The date in which we will share the next piece of information about the game has already been decided and we would like to ask the fans to just hold on a little longer.

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
I think they'll announce part 2 before part 1's release at Sony's E3 of 'dreams' 2020

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Guess we will see a new trailer after over 3 years (lol) either at some kind of Sony event or E3.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
This will be at PS5's presentation with Advent Children-graphics level and it will melt your brains!

Ok. I kid.

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
At this point, I just want them to take their time and have this be a cross gen title with the next gen version being the priority.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
#believe
Now that KH3 is a soon outta the way its likely time for FFVII to prove the doubters wrong

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I hope they have some event and we don't have to wait until E3, it's just too far away.

Now, not even an E3 presence is locked at all, although I'd honestly be surprised if we didn't get anything up to that point. There's always TGA/PSX, though...

Oct 25, 2017
UK NW
Probably talking about another trailer, I don't see this releasing for another couple of years or longer at this point considering it hasn't been seen for so long.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
there's about a 7% chance that the remake is going to be as good as people hope for it to be. i only look forward to its release to watch how furiously fans defend all the things that are wrong with it.

Oct 30, 2017

CocoaFusion

Oct 28, 2017
Wasn't that obvious though? Nomura said they already have planned when to show it and VIIR was next at that KH event this or last month. No way they would talk about it when they've focused on nothing but KH3.

KingdomKey

Oct 27, 2017
Seems reasonable that they'll start showing FFVIIR next year after KH3 has been released. Not expecting the title to drop until 2020 though.

Zeel

Oct 27, 2017
Teasing an announcement of a teaser of a trailer of a release date for a game.
Sounds like Nomura alright.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
That said, it's probably worth mentioning that DQ and FF had their positions reversed during the SNES/PS1 era. DQ was constantly delayed, by years at a time, and that only recently changed (which Horii attributes to working on the MMO, and the efficiency that has given the team).

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
That said, it's probably worth mentioning that DQ and FF had their positions reversed during the SNES/PS1 era. DQ was constantly delayed, by years at a time, and that only recently changed (which Horii attributes to working on the MMO, and the efficiency that has given the team).

Efficiency. Wouldn't that be nice to see from FF these days lol. Honestly if FFXVI is in the works, I hope KH3 finishes up and that studio starts on FFXVII, because I'm tired of these huge gaps between mainline entries.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do they show it next year or will they wait the ps5 is revealed in early 2020.

I would guess it shows up at Xboxs E3 since they are basically in next gen hype mode already.