• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Stadia exclusive incoming

need to keep up the tradition of the games being scattered across platforms.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense, given there are supposedly four teams working on new games and we only know two of those projects (UXDR & MoM(

maybe 1.5+2.5HD port for switch in the meantime?
No more KH games are planned for the Switch

Through a translator, Tetsuya Nomura confirmed there are currently no specific plans for more Kingdom Hearts games on Switch. Square Enix did consider ports of existing games for Switch in the past but found that it was technologically difficult. However, Nomura added that he believes Nintendo Switch is a very appealing piece of hardware and he had always wanted to do something on this console. Additionally, while he cannot speak for games at Square Enix that he isn't associated with, Nomura did express that it is possible another game of his could come to Switch.

www.nintendoenthusiast.com

No more Kingdom Hearts games planned for Switch, but other Nomura games possible

Tetsuya Nomura: No plans for more Kingdom Hearts Switch games currently, but other Square Enix Tetsuya Nomura games on Switch is possible.

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
Well, the last anniversary game was KH3D so I'm kinda taking this statement as a threat?...

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Please be a Union Cross remake for 2022 with all of the Disney worlds in Unreal Engine 5.

I wish they would totally reboot it. I gave up after kh 2 when i found out how many movies I have to watch and how many games I have yet to play to get to KH 3. I enjoyed gameplay and disney worlds but... i guess you understand.

Please can we stop with the reboot talk. Kingdom Hearts III was the best selling entry to date, there's no reason to reboot.

Sesha

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Of course Yozora has heterochromia with one red eye:

main-qimg-d8b5c4f3397bbe7493c49ac4f268126f

Nomura, honey, it's been 14 years. It's time to get a new favorite character.

It wont be total mess surely. I dont know, i feel uncomfortably when i dont understand the story/characters and so on. Should i really bother with 3? I heard that it fucked up the story even more..

Just play Birth by Sleep and watch cutscenes of the rest on YouTube before playing 3.

Dec 25, 2018
Makes sense, given there are supposedly four teams working on new games and we only know two of those projects (UXDR & MoM(

No more KH games are planned for the Switch

www.nintendoenthusiast.com

No more Kingdom Hearts games planned for Switch, but other Nomura games possible

Tetsuya Nomura: No plans for more Kingdom Hearts Switch games currently, but other Square Enix Tetsuya Nomura games on Switch is possible.

Dang, but it's weird. The PS3 was less powerful and could handle both lol

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
Why do people ask for reboots when the games still sell a shit ton of copies?

they aren't going to scrap everything for the tiny few. Like seriously???

Dec 25, 2018
Why do people ask for reboots when the games still sell a shit ton of copies?

they aren't going to scrap everything for the tiny few. Like seriously???
I hope KH1 is never remade. The game has so much love and charm to it that it to me is just perfect. There are so many hidden interactions that I think would not be remade if they rebooted it.

DatManOvaDer

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt its best selling entry because of story which is being shitted on everywhere I look
kingdom hearts without the story, characters and original content isn't kingdom hearts. The disney content is a massive sell for people but acting like there isn't a sizable portion of people who play the game for the story is pretty dumb

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Pretty sure there's always co-directors. He gets veto power.
I know about the co-directors but Nomura got top billing for VII Remake. I suspect Naoki Hamaguchi will get bumped up and a different co-director will replace Motomu Toriyama. (Going off interviews, it didn't seem like he would be involved in the next installment.)

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia

Just because you don't like the story doesn't mean it justifies a reboot. The Marvel Cinematic Universe is not being rebooted despite being formulaic.

You can just quit the series if you feel it's no longer for you. Nobody likes a killjoy.

What are you talking about? MCU is easy t9 navigate and its fucking simple. This on the other hand.. there were endless numbers of threads on this. But yeah whatever, its just "me".

Also: whats up with that link. Is it going to provide some info that KH 3 success is based on its story? Because i said that is not the reason behind the great sales.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
What will be out first, the next big Kingdom Hearts or FF7 Part 2?
It will be interesting to see because both teams are on similar ground. KH3 was done 1 year prior to FF7R release, but KH3 was also working on ReMind DLC which came out early this year. I suspect not the entire KH3 team was wroking on ReMind, but they also helped out on Melody of Memory cutscenes...

FF7R could have advantage of it being a direct continuation of the first game so the foundation could be there. With the next KH game they might try to add new stuff and change things so could take more time..

I guess it will be similar situation with how KH3 and FF7R were, about 1 year gap between the two.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
The quality of ReMIND has me crazy hyped for whatever's next, whether it's a console remake of KHUX or KH4.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
What are you talking about? MCU is easy t9 navigate and its fucking simple. This on the other hand.. there were endless numbers of threads on this. But yeah whatever, its just "me".

Also: whats up with that link. Is it going to provide some info that KH 3 success is based on its story? Because i said that is not the reason behind the great sales.

It proves there's exactly zero reason for a reboot. Franchise is as healthy as it's ever been.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Nomura and SE seem to have learned nothing in project/time management from the last 15 years.
How does this news lead to your silly, whiny conclusion? KHIII was finished in late 2018. Though release was delayed into 2019, some early work on the next installment probably started around late 2018 already (maybe even earlier, at least as far as some initial/early plans for projects past KHIII goes). A possible late 2022 release (or early 2023 if we go by fiscal years or not calendar year but a year from the release date of KH1) would mean about 4 years of development on whatever this project is. Hardly any kind of mismanagement or out of the ordinary for development of big games in 2020s.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
20 years...thats pretty crazy to think about honestly that KH has stuck around for so long.

Carpathia

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think is going to be KH4 but I hope is not another spin off or semi main game with rehash story.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Wow 20th anniversary coming up.
Well hope they change their mind about KH Switch ports before then or on the anniversary ha, would be nice to have KH Switch ports in 2021 and then new stuff in 2022, but not sure a year time to port KHs to switch would be enough, seeing they apparently have no plans for it.
Not sure whether to expect a Versus like KH game that has nothing to do with Disney... I think I would be up for it either way sure, but I just see Yozora playing a part in future KHs, rather than having his own game, but I may be surprised ha.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
I suspect not the entire KH3 team was wroking on ReMind, but they also helped out on Melody of Memory cutscenes...
A Disney insider said that they heard pre-production in KH4 started in November 2018, which was when KH3 went gold. I image a small subset of Osaka staff worked on MoM's cutscenes, some battle staff and cutscene staff must have kept busy working on Re Mind, and I guess artists, level design etc were working on 4.

Edit: I went back to confirm and got the year wrong, pre-prod allegedly began November 2019. Sorry.

Last edited:

Fraxin

Oct 28, 2017
I know about the co-directors but Nomura got top billing for VII Remake. I suspect Naoki Hamaguchi will get bumped up and a different co-director will replace Motomu Toriyama. (Going off interviews, it didn't seem like he would be involved in the next installment.)

If he isn't, then I am expecting Toriyama will be tackling a new project. FF related or something else.