• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

krg

Oct 27, 2017
I know there's a thread about PS5 coilwhine which makes it obvious that the console has its issues and of course I can't ask this question over there since most forum posters are affected by it, but what about the rest? Do you happen to be one of the chosen ones? Do completely silent PS5s actually exist?

Mine is arriving at the end of the month I'm worried since I own a XSX and that thing is in fact completely silent, like you can't even tell it's on if it wasn't for the illuminated X logo in front.

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
Absolute reality. I have very slight tinnitus and I can hear that more than my PS5, lmao. Same as what you said, I can't tell if it's on or off unless I see a game on my screen.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The only thing that makes noise on my PS5 is the disc drive spinning up. Other than that it's completely silent.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I hear slight noises every now and then from mine, but it's noooooo where near the noise factor of PS4. It's a different( much quieter) symphony of noises entirely.

Massive improvement.

I should note I play right next to mine, maybe a couple feet away, so maybe those further away can hear even less than me.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
Mine is completely silent. I even wonder sometimes if the fan is even on. A huge improvement over the Pro which is stupid loud.

Euan_1981

Apr 23, 2018
Some minor noise but only audible when playing late at night with the sound turned right down!

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Same situation as you OP. I can only hear it when the audio is low but it's still annoying compared to the XSX that's whisper quiet.

Camells

The Forgotten One
Oct 25, 2017
Mine is dead silent the only instance i can actually hear something is when i install a game from the disc and that`s it dead radio silence.

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Mine does not give any noise. Only the disc drive but only when putting in a disc and it spins up.
I thought it sounded like a powerdrill one time but it turns out was actually my neighbor drilling in the wall behind my PS5....

mf.luder

Oct 28, 2017
My coil whine is a little present but not overly troublesome. I need to send mine in for other service though. When I press the eject button it only spits the disc out 20% of the time. Other than that I hear clicking and struggling like something is caught. It even persists after reboot. :/

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My launch unit is quiet as fuck. I dont even hear the disk spin anymore. (No idea if it was patched out)

Derkon

Oct 25, 2017
My PS5 is very quiet. Other then the disc drive spinning up during a game launch I really don't hear any noise.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
My PS5 coil whine is pretty low but it comes with a Nidec fan that is pretty noisy.

At the end be aware that you have 2 lotteries in terms of noise with the Ps5, if you have one with coil whine and/or if your console comes with a Nidec fan (1 out of the 3 possible fans).

The Wraith

Oct 27, 2017
My disc PS5 is virtually silent unless there is a fooking disc in the drive spinning up every hour on the hour.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Mine makes noise when it installs a game from disc and every now and then but it's otherwise completely quiet.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mostly silent. Occasionally the disc drive will spin up, or the fans will quietly kick in for a bit, then go silent again. The PS4 was loud to the point that I just didn't want to use it. The PS5 is like a Switch in comparison.

Oct 25, 2017
My PS5 sounds different at different times/during different games but I almost always have to get close to it to hear it above my general room noise. With game audio at a normal level or headphones it's imperceptible.

I wonder how many people complaining about noise have it on a desk right next to them or something.

I'm not talking about disc drive noise which is of course loud and obvious.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Lucky bastards, my PS5 purs when playing digital PS4 games, takes off in to Space when playing heavy PS5 games, buzzes when browsing a streaming service.

Worst offender is Hitman 3, Spider-man was a medium and Returnal is quiet enough I don't hear it over the audio.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
My first PS5 fan was really loud - like PS4 Pro loud. But my current PS5 has a quiet fan, however the coil whine on the other hand, is really bad and drives me insane if I'm not playing with headphones on. It's just a certain frequency that gets under my skin, although how loud it is depends on the game.

Olli

Feb 6, 2021
Mine makes an audible buzzing noise when stressed during ps5 games but it's not bad, quiter than my ps4 slim which itself was mostly silent.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is what mine sounds like. After a few hundred hours of game time, I've essentially only heard or hear it when the disk drive spins up for a few seconds every hour or two.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
My PS5 sounds different at different times/during different games but I almost always have to get close to it to hear it above my general room noise. With game audio at a normal level or headphones it's imperceptible.

I wonder how many people complaining about noise have it on a desk right next to them or something.

I'm not talking about disc drive noise which is of course loud and obvious.

Mine is almost at 3 meters from where I sit and I can hear the fan while playing unless the game is pretty "bombastic" (music or a lot going on). So games like Souls or RE I can hear it easily.

Zultima

Mar 4, 2020
If I get my head close sure I can hear some fan humming, like any computer. But that's it. The disc drive doesn't spin up every hour anymore either since recent update. So yes

AFI-kun

Oct 31, 2017
My PS5 is on my desk, right next to my head, and I could barely hear it. If you have any kind of cooling (a fan or an AC) in your room or have a window open, the noise from those sources would be way more noticeable than the PS5's (well, with my PS5).