• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Porco Rosso

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The thread title pretty much says it all - NOFX's 14th album is out Friday and it's up early on YouTube today. I normally wouldn't make a thread for a band releasing a new album, but I am just really floored by how good it is considering the band is now in their 38th year and as we all know, the vast majority of artists that are still cranking out music almost 4 decades in are usually terrible (when it comes to new music - lots still put on a great performance).

I had low expectations but damn... It's good. It's also surprisingly quite the departure as it's really dark, sad and lyrically heavy. To see them break the NOFX formula this far into their career is pretty cool. For reference, the opening track is basically a slow 6-minute post-hardcore song and the closer is a (half) piano ballad.

If you want to check it out, here's the YouTube playlist link:

However, if you're just curious about how NOFX is sounding these days, I recommend checking out Linewleum, which is their pseudo-cover of their own classic song Linoleum about how they want to never play it again - really gives a good look at good they can sound 40 years in:

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I used to listen to them non-stop when playing Perfect Dark back in the day. An entire summer playing Perfect Dark all day while listening to Thanks For All The Shoes.

ShimmyShakes

Nov 1, 2017
I haven't really listened to them regularly since maybe Wolves in Wolves Clothing - and even then it's pretty much just the 1994-2006 period - but the OP is selling me on trying the new album.

Haven't seen that Decline Live vid either - still fucken love that track.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Bought that live Decline vinyl. It's very good.

I'll be listening to the album over the next few days and hope to be pleasantly surprised. Mike's voice doesn't have the range it used to and it bums me out.

Mavis

Oct 25, 2017
Blue Mountains
Got the vinyl on pre-order, got an email yesterday saying it's not going to arrive until mid March.

Fuck euphemism is problematic, embracing LBGT but not genderfluidity, also not liking the hostility towards they/them pronouns.

I wasn't sure when I first heard it, knowing FM's support of LGBT+ causes I did a double take and some of the lyrics do seem like he has a chip on his shoulder... FM explained it as being fed up with getting the cis label despite being a cross dressing, submissive male. I think his point is there's no room for kink outside of the cis label, just because he sleeps with females it isn't his whole identity and he doesn't consider himself cis. How much of that explanation was made up after he realised he'd pissed a lot of people off, I don't know. It's a shame really because 'fuck you...phemism' is a great line.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
NoFX has been consistently good imo, I do kinda miss the classic NoFX sound, last heard on Self/(En)titled, but I respect that they try to evolve their sound and let's be honest after almost 40 years I can't blame them one bit. I'm gonna wait on my CD to arrive to listen, but I'm excited. Reviews I've read were pretty positive.

I'm just glad they still have it after all these years unlike some bands *cough* Green Day *cough*.

OP
OP
Porco Rosso

Porco Rosso

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I haven't really listened to them regularly since maybe Wolves in Wolves Clothing - and even then it's pretty much just the 1994-2006 period - but the OP is selling me on trying the new album.

Haven't seen that Decline Live vid either - still fucken love that track.

Wolves is easily my favourite NOFX album for whatever reason - this is probably my favourite since then although the others in between are pretty good.

I'd say check this one out, just don't be deterred by the first song which, while really cool, isn't really representative of the rest of the album.

Bought that live Decline vinyl. It's very good.

I'll be listening to the album over the next few days and hope to be pleasantly surprised. Mike's voice doesn't have the range it used to and it bums me out.

It's weird - Mike can sound great occasionally still. His voice sounds super rough on the first track on this but great in other songs (especially the 2nd half of the closer).

For all you lapsed NOFX fans that are now remembering they exist, they put out a split covers album with Frank Turner last year that was also super cool.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Never been a huge fan but I'll give it a good listen when it hits spotify. They certainly released some bangers over the years - nice to hear they are still putting out some good music.

Regarding Fuck Euphamism, I saw this at consequence of sound
If you're gonna take one thing away from this song, don't let it be that I am a cross-dresser. What's relevant is the term "per." It is a great pronoun for anyone who is non-binary or gender non-specific. It is certainly less confusing than "they or them" unless, of course, you are from the split personality tribe or a Siamese twin. ...

If you want to be vague in how you want others to define you….. "per" in abbreviation for Person is a wonderful term that the reluctant feminist Doris Lessing came up with in the '80s in her awesome book The Good Terrorist. It works in every scenario: I was with "per" last night, "per" told a great joke, I really want to sleep with "per." It just kinda makes sense. It beats: I was with "them" last night. "They," told a great joke; I really want to sleep with "them." I believe people should use any word or words they like to describe themselves. I'm just making a suggestion here….:)

I'm not sure what to make of that song but upon first listen it did sound pretty aggressive

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Their last good album was So Long and Thanks for all the Shoes. I'll check this out though!
I really loved Self/(En)titled personally. First Ditch Effort is half of a great album (California Drought is one of their best song ever). I'd say Coaster (or Frisbee, depending on if you got the CD or vinyl) is their weakest effort and even that has a handful of good ones.

OP
OP
Porco Rosso

Porco Rosso

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I really loved Self/(En)titled personally. First Ditch Effort is half of a great album (California Drought is one of their best song ever). I'd say Coaster (or Frisbee, depending on if you got the CD or vinyl) is their weakest effort and even that has a handful of good ones.

I liked that album a lot too. I'd say S/E was the best since Wolves although I think this new one tops it, which was a surprise to me.

I did like Coaster, but I think a lot of that boils down to me really liking the production on that one.

As a side note, I've listened to this new album a couple times now and I'm convinced the last track is the best song Fat Mike has ever written (besides The Decline of course).

Last edited:

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
I used to listen to them non-stop when playing Perfect Dark back in the day. An entire summer playing Perfect Dark all day while listening to Thanks For All The Shoes.

Yeah, after having not heard that album in literally almost two decades, I fell in love with it all over again last year once I finally tried out Spotify :)

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I love that they made a "how old is the band? Older than you" joke in the nineties and it has aged like fine wine lol

I really liked First Ditch Effort and like the sound of Linewleum on this one so far (On top of being really funny)

Coolsambob

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Oh good, looking forward to this, the last album was brilliant so hoping this keeps it up.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I checked out the first track which was pretty great, and I've already enjoyed most of the other songs pre-release (though I must admit I don't quite "get" Fuck Euphimism, it sounds more problematic than I think it is, though Fat Mike said he knew he was going to piss people off with it and I'm not even sure which group he means). I really liked Fish in a Barrel ever since I heard it, too.

Going to listen to it tomorrow since youtube has to arbitrarily stop me listening to music while browsing on my phone unless I pay them so fuck that.

OP
OP
Porco Rosso

Porco Rosso

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Oh good, looking forward to this, the last album was brilliant so hoping this keeps it up.

I've been revisiting First Ditch Effort today and forgot how good it was. Between that album and this one, Fat Mike has really been writing some beautiful, melancholic vocal melodies lately that really remind me of No Use for a Name (RIP Tony).

I checked out the first track which was pretty great, and I've already enjoyed most of the other songs pre-release (though I must admit I don't quite "get" Fuck Euphimism, it sounds more problematic than I think it is, though Fat Mike said he knew he was going to piss people off with it and I'm not even sure which group he means). I really liked Fish in a Barrel ever since I heard it, too.

Going to listen to it tomorrow since youtube has to arbitrarily stop me listening to music while browsing on my phone unless I pay them so fuck that.

I'm not sure I get Fuck Euphemism either, and it's probably my least favourite on the album (although catchy as hell). I truly don't think it's problematic considering Mike's long-running support of the LGBTQ community (he even played bass on Against Me!'s Transgender Dysphoria Blues!) but I really don't know what he's getting at.

Also this version of Fish in a Gun Barrel is a little different (more added instruments and harmonies) and I like it way better than the OG version (which I also enjoyed)

Noaloha

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you. I'd have missed this. Replying for the gratitude and the chance that the bump has a similar find. <3

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure I get Fuck Euphemism either, and it's probably my least favourite on the album (although catchy as hell). I truly don't think it's problematic considering Mike's long-running support of the LGBTQ community (he even played bass on Against Me!'s Transgender Dysphoria Blues!) but I really don't know what he's getting at.
He talks about this here:

Moz La Punk

Journalist at Gamer.nl & Power Unlimited
Verified
May 15, 2018
The Netherlands
This is their best album in 15 years, no doubt. Hopefully they can still grow from here, I thought the last couple of records were okay at best.

longtime fan since Punk in Drublic here. The stretch from Drublic to So Long is my favorite era. Saw them live in amsterdam two years ago, at least they still know how to throw a party!

i remember reading in a recent interview with Mike that NOFX is planning to do another record this year. Going by this one it has me mighty curious!

OP
OP
Porco Rosso

Porco Rosso

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This is their best album in 15 years, no doubt. Hopefully they can still grow from here, I thought the last couple of records were okay at best.

longtime fan since Punk in Drublic here. The stretch from Drublic to So Long is my favorite era. Saw them live in amsterdam two years ago, at least they still know how to throw a party!

i remember reading in a recent interview with Mike that NOFX is planning to do another record this year. Going by this one it has me mighty curious!

Totally agree - it rules. It's just exciting to hear an old band still break new ground.

Mike also was on Twitch today for a Q&A and it sounds like they're back in the studio next week!

Also FYI for everyone who hasn't noticed yet, this is now up on all the streaming services and it is awesome.

Moz La Punk

Journalist at Gamer.nl & Power Unlimited
Verified
May 15, 2018
The Netherlands
Totally agree - it rules. It's just exciting to hear an old band still break new ground.

Mike also was on Twitch today for a Q&A and it sounds like they're back in the studio next week!

Also FYI for everyone who hasn't noticed yet, this is now up on all the streaming services and it is awesome.

wow next week already damn thats fast.

theres a lotta fans on social media that hate this release but fuck em, I hope they continue experimenting. See where it goes.

i would also like if theyrelease the rest of the songs (this was supposed to be a double album) some day.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
My all-time favorite band, but Coaster (2009) was the last album I thoroughly enjoyed and it's been massively downhill from there. However, last year's split/cover album with Frank Turner was/is absolutely amazing, completely floored me how much drive they have on that record, every single song rules (especially digging Frank Turner's interpretation of Eat the Meek).
The new one, as its title implies, is a collection of singles and it shows, as about half of them do absolutely nothing for me and it feels more like a random collection of songs than a proper album. 3 or 4 songs are gonna make it on my playlist, but overall it doesn't add anything noteworthy to their discography in my opinion.

Edit: I find their trajectory and recent outputs especially disappointing, as bands like Lagwagon, Good Riddance, Strung Out, Millencolin, Propagandhi etc. made amazing comebacks or consistently managed to release absolute bangers over the last couple of years. Bad Religion's last output, Age of Unreason, is absolute fire as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Porco Rosso

Porco Rosso

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
My all-time favorite band, but Coaster (2009) was the last album I thoroughly enjoyed and it's been massively downhill from there. However, last year's split/cover album with Frank Turner was/is absolutely amazing, completely floored me how much drive they have on that record, every single song on that record rules (especially digging Frank Turner's interpretation of Eat the Meek).
The new one, as its title implies, is a collection of singles and it shows, as about half of them do absolutely nothing for me and it feels more like a random collection of songs than a proper album. 3 or 4 songs are gonna make it on my playlist, but overall it doesn't add anything noteworthy to their discography in my opinion.

Edit: I find their trajectory and recent outputs especially disappointing, as bands like Lagwagon, Good Riddance, Strung Out, Millencolin, Propagandhi etc. made amazing comebacks or consistently managed to release absolute bangers over the last couple of years. Bad Religion's last output, Age of Unreason, is absolute fire as well.

Although I disagree with your thoughts on NOFX, totally agree with the rest. It's crazy to me that in the past 5 years both Strung Out and Propagandhi, who have both been around since the 80s, put out the best albums of their career. Lagwagon and BR too within the last decade (Hang and True North). I can't think of any other genre where the old guard are still putting out great music. Metal has a few, but most of the classic metal bands have pretty weak efforts these days.

TheLetdown

Oct 25, 2017
Although I disagree with your thoughts on NOFX, totally agree with the rest. It's crazy to me that in the past 5 years both Strung Out and Propagandhi, who have both been around since the 80s, put out the best albums of their career. Lagwagon and BR too within the last decade (Hang and True North). I can't think of any other genre where the old guard are still putting out great music. Metal has a few, but most of the classic metal bands have pretty weak efforts these days.

Some of that could be that punk bands form with members being literal children. Some of it could be that punk is timeless and rewards new direction (to a degree.) Bands like Agnostic Front still bring the fire to live shows and those guys are definitely getting up there in age.

Stalag 13 just put out a new record that I need to check out.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Finally got around to giving this a couple of listens today and maaan... I think this might be their best record since The War on Errorism or even Pump Up the Valuum.

I didn't get a chance to acquaint myself with the lyrics or titles in my car, but was that a fucking steel guitar on a track near the end? Looool.

Nimmermehr

Oct 27, 2017
I still need to see them......and Me First and the Gimme Gimmes

Not many bands from the 90s are left on my list to see live

Doors and Fours is such a depressing song :(
While i've seen Me First a couple of times by now, only the first time was with Joey Cape and Fat Mike together..
In 2005 we travelled really far for the best lineup i've ever seen on a festival and Me First was the main reason for that :P

rockinidro-2005.jpg