• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

closer

Oct 25, 2017

i'm not who you quoted, but limiting a game to a pc release, particularly ostensibly graphically intense games like HL would likely be, cuts off access for a lot of ppl who can either only afford consoles or low-end computers. I don't think game streaming is there yet for ppl in that demographic.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
i'm not who you quoted, but limiting a game to a pc release, particularly ostensibly graphically intense games like HL would likely be, cuts off access for a lot of ppl who can either only afford consoles or low-end computers. I don't think game streaming is there yet for ppl in that demographic.
Ostensibly graphically intensive games cannot run in the current generation base hardware. And if it could, it could run on low-end computers.

Deleted member 7373

If Alyx is EXCEPTIONAL quality it doesn't really matter, it will make people care about Half-Life again (and help VR a lot). Valve is going to push this game a lot.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
literally done nothing for an entire decade except find new ways to exploit customers via cosmetics but they release 1 vr game suddenly they got the artistic integrity of Michelangelo
Valve has done more for consumers then nintendo,sony and ms put together.

It's hilarious how ignorant Era is.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
Ostensibly graphically intensive games cannot run in the current generation base hardware. And if it could, it could run on low-end computers.

the example I would use is cyberpunk, to me if there were no console release a lot less ppl would be playing the game. I could be wrong for sure though, it's just how it makes sense to me since I see it as needing a 1060 minimum (could be wrong about this too!) and that already runs ~$250

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
the example I would use is cyberpunk, to me if there were no console release a lot less ppl would be playing the game. I could be wrong for sure though, it's just how it makes sense to me since I see it as needing a 1060 minimum (could be wrong about this too!) and that already runs ~$250
Cyberpunk minimum requirements are 960, and the console versions will probably run worse. I just dont think you know the power difference between console and PC right now at the end of a gen.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
Cyberpunk minimum requirements are 960, and the console versions will probably run worse. I just dont think you know the power difference between console and PC right now at the end of a gen.

yeah that's likely, i'm on a 970m currently. at the same time though, would you consider cyberpunk to be as far reaching if it weren't available on consoles? I definitely consider access to "console-audience" to be a real thing, tho i don't have numbers to back that up.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Bullshit. No one expected VR and no one asked for a VR game so no need to try to push that revisionist bullshit.

As for game changing expectations? What is that exactly? All we wanted was a follow up to Ep 2. It never needed to be game changing only to finish the fucking story. Were you even around back then?

This is insane. A Half-Life VR game was the easiest guess you could make, and many posters here have claimed that Valve would use Half-Life to push VR, months, if not years before Alyx was even announced.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
It's been a long, long time since the last Half Life. This one is VR exclusive which is a sliver of the market and typically the same enthusiasts that would be into HL anyway. This shouldn't be a surprise.

Deleted member 23381

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is a stupid thing that can easily be explained by "HL was never huge" (to the level of other big FPS) to being with. You can easily show it on the graph that they provide that compares it with other shooters:
HL_GoogleTrend2.png

Jeez, I never realized that half life was that irrelevant.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
To be honest I don't really care about Alyx. But I'm interested in replaying previous games and finally playing Black Mesa.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
yeah same, not particularly interested in VR but def picked up Black Mesa due to HL being in the media lol

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That's only for people that search for the exact term "Half-Life". People that search for "Half Life", "HalfLife" or simply just "HL" are not included in that graph.
It helps a lot in terms of google SEO if your game title is only a single word.

Oct 27, 2017
I think there would be a lot more excitement if it wasn't VR-only. I like Half-Life and have a VR headset, but I don't want to play it this way.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
It's hard to get interest in free titles and google searches if

A. Said free title have been easily available and cheap before hand (You can get the half life package every sale for like $5)

B. There's nothing to search/talk about. Half-life 2 has been ran into the ground at this point when it comes to discussion, there isn't much else there.

I think HL:Alyx will do a good job of revitalizing interest, especially if it's followed up by a non-vr game.As that will always be a hurdle for some.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
That's only for people that search for the exact term "Half-Life". People that search for "Half Life" or "HL" are not included in that graph.
There is a difference between being super popular and being relevant and trend setting. HL helped redefine the fps genre twice, but that doesn't mean it is as it is a mega popular game. For one, what was its multiplayer (kinda) is nowadays a completely different game that is one of the biggest esports ever, so ot doesnt count as half life.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Just going to C&P a post I made about this subject in another thread:

Google search is the antithesis of good data when it comes to determining the player count / popularity of something. Here's why:

1) If a ton of people are playing or using something they have less of a reason to google it, not more.

2) If a ton of people are playing or using something, that means there's less and less people in the target demo to google it in the first place.

3) If something is really popular, people probably don't need to google it in general. (it only checks exact search terms, people don't need to google fortnite specifically)

4) Google Trends only shows you search popularity, e.g. it's popularity in comparison to other searches at the time. It is not polling data (data you would use for actual popularity/population) and should not be used as such, their own support FAQ says as much.

5) Here's a really easy counter-example using Steam:

Steam's Google Trends from 2004 to present.

Steam's actual concurrent player base from 2004 to present.

They are, pretty obviously, completely unrelated to one another. Look at February 2008 in particular: an extremely large concurrent player spike of 300% and yet the Google Trend is lower than the previous month.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
There is a difference between being super popular and being relevant and trend setting. HL helped redefine the fps genre twice, but that doesn't mean it is as it is a mega popular game. For one, what was its multiplayer (kinda) is nowadays a completely different game that is one of the biggest esports ever, so ot doesnt count as half life.
Doesn't change the fact that using a heavily flawed graph to prove something is a bad idea. Unless you're polygon.

Oct 27, 2017
The next generation probably doesnt even know what half life is its been so long.

Probably. The people who were teens when Episode 2 launched are in their late 20s to early 30s by now. I'd hazard a guess that quite a lot of, possibly most of, the people under 25 who are aware of the HL name probably know it mainly from the jokes and memes about HL3. I think the game will still do fine though, I suspect Valve have reasonable expectations to how much it will sell.

Speedlynx

Nov 22, 2017
Alyx is only VR
Valve never released Half-life 3.
Hell Valve barely makes games anymore.
Strike while the iron is hot. Valve didn't.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
like arguably the main reason for the existence of this game is to push headset sales, so under that context the iron was totally hot

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably. The people who were teens when Episode 2 launched are in their late 20s to early 30s by now. I'd hazard a guess that quite a lot of, possibly most of, the people under 25 who are aware of the HL name probably know it mainly from the jokes and memes about HL3. I think the game will still do fine though, I suspect Valve have reasonable expectations to how much it will sell.
Yeah half life will be fine. I mean look at ff7. The original game is older than dust but the hype has always been there.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I care about it from the lens of getting a good VR game but I'm not as interested in the franchise specifically. I tried playing Half Life 2 but I either got motion sick or bored from the gameplay. The opening sequence felt like the Halo Library level times 2. We get it, you need to escape, can we please move on? Valve didn't think so. I plan on watching the story highlights on YouTube to get up to speed.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
there is no doubt ff7 will blow alyx out of the water, but valve is selling out $1000 dollar headsets with the game; better to compare it to a console exclusive that has ppl thinking of the game as a "console-seller" or other bundled console sets

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Also Half-Life 2 kickstarted Steam.

Oct 26, 2017
This is a game aimed at a userbase of fewer people than people who owned a WiiU or Vita.

It's going to make money based on selling Valve Indexes.

It has gotten almost no promotion because everyone who has VR wants the game already.

... Of course it has fewer searches and traffic?

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
This is a game aimed at a userbase of fewer people than people who owned a WiiU or Vita.

It has gotten almost no promotion because everyone who has VR wants the game already.

yeah this doesn't really seem indicative of half-life's overall popularity at all

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018

It is going to make its money on tons of people entering the PC VR space buying VR games on Steam.

Alyx is about promoting all PCVR headsets, not just the Index.

Anyways, Half Life always struck me as a very important franchise that is held close by a lot of people, but not the most popular franchise like Call of Duty or Halo. But also these metrics are kinda flimsy anyways.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I can't only speak for myself but I definitely don't really care anymore.

If Half-Life 3 had gotten announced, I dunno, 6 years ago then I'd be losing my mind but it's a different story now. Sure, I'd still get the game but my hype levels for it would never be anywhere near what they would be before. Hell, I only watched one of the new Alyx gameplay videos from the other day 'cus I don't really care.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017

I played Half Life on a console, as did others. You can't strip those numbers out when looking at the whole. Google metrics can't see what you play games on.

You take a popular highly reviewed series (that cliffhung a sequel) that released on multiple systems, and turned it into an exclusive that needs peripheral hardware and is a prequel. That said, I'm not sure why people are surprised, because Im positive valve isn't expected this to be as big as HL2.

Oct 26, 2017
It is going to make its money on tons of people entering the PC VR space buying VR games on Steam.

Alyx is about promoting all PCVR headsets, not just the Index.

Anyways, Half Life always struck me as a very important franchise that is held close by a lot of people, but not the most popular franchise like Call of Duty or Halo. But also these metrics are kinda flimsy anyways.

While I'm sure that will also be nice, I'm guessing that the Index is being sold at a $300+ markup and Valve selling 2m Indexes thanks to Alyx would net them a nice $600m profit.

yoonshik

Oct 26, 2017
They are trying to kickstart VR forward with Alyx. This means bigger and better games and afordable tech. I don't know you but that's a success in my book.