• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
Worst part is the game is pro going to be actually good. They have just decided to release it on a dead platform. This whole situation kinda reminds me of Vita.

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
That's what happens when you don't communicate on an IP.I lost interest in the series as I felt I was being mocked and just decided to swipe and look at other games.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Worst part is the game is pro going to be actually good. They have just decided to release it on a dead platform. This whole situation kinda reminds me of Vita.
Dead platform and yet headsets sell out for months and the active userbase experiences it's fastest growth period?

Use actual logic in your next post, if possible.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Too little too late maybe?
If this released 10 years ago it would have been top gaming news.

It's definitely a combination of that and the hardware. There's a whole generation of kids that HL was entirely absent for and now the people that do remember it need to basically spend the same money they could on a new console to play it. They claim it's a future investment and it's their money to burn - and those people obviously do exist to a certain extent - but yeah, it's got a much more limited reach than before.

Funny, it's not even an FFVII situation where the original games have been ported and proliferated all over the place in the years between then and now. I think ports are key to maintaining mindshare.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

What is it about VR threads that just bring out the salt in people. Gird your loins: The Half-Life: Alyx review threads are going to be glorious.

Also, the difference between this thread and this other thread is astounding. "dead platform", hoo boy.

Ashok

Jan 24, 2019
Alyx looks to be quite literally the first true next-gen game on the horizon. Niche in the same sense Quake 1 was niche in 1996 because barely anyone had 3D graphics cards and Internet to run it. I haven't been this hyped for a video game since 2004. It's about time games started pushing technology again and not the other way around.

And for the record, Half-Life 2 VR is hands down the. best. video. game. experience. I've ever had in my entire life.

Last edited:

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I know and I didn't say anything to the contrary (and I've seen the video you mention.) But it's not too far fetched to think you probably need an Index to get the full, intended experience. Why would they make a game and not take full advantage of their own hardware?

I'm sure it does take advantage of the Index, but my original comment was about people speaking as though the game is locked behind it. It's obviously not.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
I feel like Half-Life might not be the huge blockbuster vs a steady burn of being a cult-classic.

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017
as a huge half life fan back in the day, what else do you expect when you let an IP just simmer without any kind of news or celebrations for about 15 years, then release a game that a very small amount of the population is able to afford

That and black Mesa looks the most interesting half Life game released this month

shuno

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You are wrong.

They want money. Not interesting games. Thats what the 2010s has taught us.

They want money, like every dev/publisher. And made some of the most played and well suppported games. That's what the 2010 have taught us.

And compared to other devs/publisher, they spent the money on some great things.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
Love it when groundbreaking tech comes along, Valve knew all along VR was the only fit for the next HL game. And it's going to be incredible.

VR always puts peoples noses out of joint here on Era, A gaming enthusiast forum apparently.

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 day): Trolling
They want money, like every dev/publisher. And made some of the most played and well suppported games. That's what the 2010 have taught us.

And compared to other devs/publisher, they spent the money on some great things.
literally done nothing for an entire decade except find new ways to exploit customers via cosmetics but they release 1 vr game suddenly they got the artistic integrity of Michelangelo

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
Sold out only because there wasn't much production to begin with. Doesn't mean anything. Compared to PC/Consoles, VR is dead.
3rxw9r.jpg

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
literally done nothing for an entire decade except find new ways to exploit customers via cosmetics but they release 1 vr game suddenly they got the artistic integrity of Michelangelo
I dont think anyone is saying that they have enormous artistic integrity, just that attacking Valve for being to business-like in their approach to VR when it has been a sunken cost and something they have basically been one of the most important elements in the new generation of VR finally taking root is a bit stupid.

Apr 25, 2018
Rockwall, Texas
Millions of VR fans did, as did all the people with insane game-changing expectations for the franchise.. Don't pretend to speak for everyone, thanks.

Bullshit. No one expected VR and no one asked for a VR game so no need to try to push that revisionist bullshit.

As for game changing expectations? What is that exactly? All we wanted was a follow up to Ep 2. It never needed to be game changing only to finish the fucking story. Were you even around back then?

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Episode 1? Episode 2? All of the HL1 expansions?

Half-life is whatever Valve decides it is at any particular time.
Gotta quote someone who answered that:

Half-life is whatever Valve decides to push forward and is interested in doing. Hell, part of the reason behind the VR game being HLA was that they finally felt confortable with making another HL game just, you know, in VR.

Common sentiments I see brought up every time there's an argument about Half-Life Alyx being VR are that "they didn't have to make it VR" and "why can't they just make a traditional flat screen version?"

Every single Half-Life game (with the exception of the non-Valve ones) has had some significant leap forward in gaming, albeit for the Episodes it was smaller since those were a lot smaller.

Half-Life's big innovation was being the first of it's kind. It was the first FPS of this nature to not have it's game divided into levels, and give you constant control of the character, all story events happen around you, and don't break away from the player's shoes to show them, yet still directing your eye toward them.

Half-Life 2's was the physics. It's something played out in today's world, but at the time it was a huge deal. There was nothing like the Gravity Gun at that point in time.

Episode 1 was Alyx's AI, and working together with Gordon.

Episode 2 was big open areas, especially with stuff like driving the car around and using the Magnussen devices to take out Striders.

Half-Life Alyx's big thing will be it's use of VR. Other VR games have done amazing things with the technology, and resulted in games that were quite good. I'd say probably the closest one to anything that looks like what Alyx will do is Pavlov VR, and even then the main thing there is stuff like reloading weapons. Seeing those videos of things like putting on a hardhat and walking under a Barnacle is a high level of interactivity with the environment. Having the accessibility (other than the price obviously) of being able to use different control modes (standing, sitting, teleporting, traditional movement), and different VR headsets/controllers is also a huge deal. Doom VFR is an excellent game, and is clearly designed as a VR game, but is not the level of interactivity as a VR game that Half-Life Alyx seems to be.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Bullshit. No one expected VR and no one asked for a VR game so no need to try to push that revisionist bullshit.

As for game changing expectations? What is that exactly? All we wanted was a follow up to Ep 2. It never needed to be game changing only to finish the fucking story. Were you even around back then?
I fully expected it. Writing was on the wall when they went silent on HL3/Episode 3 and then started investing in the VR space.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018

It's amazing how increasingly bad your takes get in every thread you post.

Back when Valve got into VR, plenty of people that were interested in the tech were hoping for a return to Half Life. This become much more apparent after The Lab demo was showcased, as people thought this is what Valve were waiting for to get that next jump the franchise needed. Increasingly more people got excited as 'HLVR' leaks were found as far back as 2016.

Again, stop speaking for everyone. I know you think you're the center of the universe, but the expectations for Half Life 3 are so high that the only way to meet them was to do something groundbreaking.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Dead platform and yet headsets sell out for months and the active userbase experiences it's fastest growth period?

Use actual logic in your next post, if possible.
People are so salty about VR around here, it's not even funny. You might expect something different from an enthusiasts board.
Also, lots of bullshit posts and false facts spread. I wonder how long it will take until a "Half-Life was never that good" thread pops up :-D

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
People are so salty about VR around here, it's not even funny. You might expect something different from an enthusiasts board.
Also, lots of bullshit posts and false facts spread. I wonder how long it will take until a "Half-Life was never that good" thread pops up :-D
It's like talking to flat-earthers. Just the gaming equivalent. Invent logic to dismiss actual logic.

I've spoken to tens of thousands of anti-VR people before. 100% of them have failed to write an entirely logical statement in their crusade against VR.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There's already a few of those posts in this thread. But, I wouldn't be surprised if that becomes the common sentiment here. This board is ever increasingly console focused and very much on the VR hate train.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017

I dunno man, I'm pretty sure it's not hard to find people thinking Valve was making a Half-Life VR game since their days of working with Oculus. Around when the Vive came out there was an HTC rep who said something with regards to anticipating a VR Half-Life which put the VR community in an excited tizzy. Heck, we've seen files related to HLVR in Valve game updates for like 3 or 4 years at this point. Whether people expected it to come out is one thing, but it was obvious to anybody paying attention to expect Valve was working on it.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I will speak from my personal perspective. I'm 25 years old. Virtually no one in my environment has played Half-Life, 1 or 2. We were too young when it came out to interest us. He is known by the Half-Life 3 meme and that's it. And nobody has VR, for how expensive it is.

So nobody has a specific interest in either the ip or the platform.

I guess among older gamers it will be different.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
The Episodes were Valve trying the Episodic model for gaming
The expansions were not made by Valve but by Gearbox

There was absolutely nothing innovative or groundbreaking about the Episodes.

People act like Half-life was waiting for VR, when in reality it is much more likely that Episode 3 simply ran into development hell then got sidetracked by eSports and microtransactions.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
I can see hl3 being vr-exclusive if it means selling out more $1000 headsets like alyx has.

kind of like a new take on the "whale" eco-system of games where you take advantage of those who are trying to participate

it's less eyes on the hl "brand", but also kind of reaffirming the brand as a vehicle for tech-aspiration rather than some AAA blockbuster game that they have to get into the hands and mouths of as many ppl as possible, which is something that every AAA will probably have to reckon with at some point. ofc valve is better positioned to do so with their own VR set out and no shareholders to participate in directing where valve should be going

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It was rumoured since years that the next HL entry will be a VR title. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Oh... there's a contest going on of who's having the most stupid take. I see. Everyone's a winner!

Last edited:

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017

Portal 2 (released in 2010)
Alien Swarm (released in 2010)
Dota 2
Counter-Strike Global Offensive
Artifact (even though it flopped)
Dota Underlords
The Lab (smaller and more of a tech demo though, so I understand not counting this one)

Dota 2 and CSGO are still getting updated to this day, and are both pretty huge games. Dota Underlords is the first mobile game Valve has released (it's on both PC and mobile). Valve has still made games and never stopped making games. Not only that, they already said around the time of the HL Alyx reveal that there were multiple projects that were started and scrapped. We will likely get to learn about some of those in The Final Hours of Half-Life Alyx.

Edit: I somehow forgot Portal 2.

Last edited:

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Alien Swarm (released in 2010)
Dota 2
Counter-Strike Global Offensive
Artifact (even though it flopped)
Dota Underlords
The Lab (smaller and more of a tech demo though, so I understand not counting this one)

Dota 2 and CSGO are still getting updated to this day, and are both pretty huge games. Dota Underlords is the first mobile game Valve has released (it's on both PC and mobile). Valve has still made games and never stopped making games. Not only that, they already said around the time of the HL Alyx reveal that there were multiple projects that were started and scrapped. We will likely get to learn about some of those in The Final Hours of Half-Life Alyx.
Not to mention, they have already stated there are an additional two big budget VR games still in the works.

Civzy

Mar 21, 2019
Valve making a Half-Life game is kind of like James Cameron releasing a movie. I can see the scenario being people being indifferent now, in fervor when it's being newly consumed, and talking down to it in a few years.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

This is obviously false.

Many people speculated that a VR Half-life or Portal game was coming from Valve, and they wrote about it online. The writing was on the wall.