• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
I've had wonky experiences in VR (possibly using bad games), so I'm not nearly as excited as I would be if it was HL3 non-VR. I also don't have a headset at the moment, so I'd have to buy it for really just one game, but possibly a couple others.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
I'm still hyped enough to seriously consider buying a headset just to play Alyx. But I'm not going to keep it, I'll return it to Amazon. I don't believe that this is the system seller moment that people are hyping it up to be, and I don't believe it will usher in a new era of AAA VR exclusive games. Only Valve has the money and interest to make these kind of games for a LONG time to come.

Make sure to actually check out the other games out there. HL:A may be the largest budget title to date but it's far from the only amazing one. Superhot, Beat Saber and Boneworks were all better than almost any pancake AAA game I've played in the last few years.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People don't care but it's amazing that the headsets are all sold out everywhere. And if the reviews come glowing for it, believe me it will only ramp it up.

Valve always wanted Half Life to be a new trendsetter. It was that with HL1, and it was that with HL2. If Alyx does for VR what Half Life 1 did for FPS they have accomplished their mission

And they dont care about consoles.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
I don't know what to tell you. That does seem excessively low to me. I'm in computer engineering, and they are obviously very different fields. But in the US, salaries between the two fields are comparable. Salaries are based on local demand, of course. You may want to take a look around.

I think you'll find it's quite the opposite in the sense that it's G8 and a handful of other countries wages' which are excessively high compared to the rest. I mean, I live in a rich, modern, developed nation and the fact that your earnings make even those of a rich and privileged western nation like mine look ridiculous in comparison is an illustration of just how insanely off-kilter modern capitalism actually is. I have taken many looks around, believe me... I'm actually earning quite a bit above average for my profession over here (average is 1152~1300€ a month, translating to roughly 16~18k a year after subsidies, where as I'm currently making roughly 34k a year so actually about twice the national average and even then it's mostly because it's a scandinavian company).

You're being screwed dude. Start looking for a new job.
Not even close... read above. Also, dudette. ;)

The Benz

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly wasn't too hyped for it either, up until I actually tried VR for the first time last month. The shit blew my mind. I'm pretty fucking excited now.

FelixFFM

Nov 7, 2017
Make sure to actually check out the other games out there. HL:A may be the largest budget title to date but it's far from the only amazing one. Superhot, Beat Saber and Boneworks were all better than almost any pancake AAA game I've played in the last few years.
I've seen videos but they seem too indiejank for me. Walking dead looked decent though. I might check them out if I keep the headset long enough.

dodo021

Oct 27, 2017
wYl7jBH.png

Here you can see a more realistic graph of Google Trend than NoFrag. (Btw NoFrag is a very bad french website for news)
Half Life 2 Episode 1 and 2 doesn't have a spike like those "competitor". But both was highly enticipated back then.

I don't think we can rely on Google Trend to know if people care or not about Half Life (or any other game franchise)
I think most of people who want informations about the game know where to go and don't use Google Search.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
wYl7jBH.png

Here you can see a more realistic graph of Google Trend than NoFrag. (Btw NoFrag is a very bad french website for news)
Half Life 2 Episode 1 and 2 doesn't have a spike like those "competitor". But both was highly enticipated back then.

I don't think we can rely on Google Trend to know if people care or not about Half Life (or any other game franchise)
I think most of people who want informations about the game know where to go and don't use Google Search.
You really can't. Cause your graph would suggest video game engagement is at an all time low considering the trajectory of every search term is down :)

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
The combination of 13 years of nothing regarding Half Life plus making the game VR exclusive is certainly not going to appeal to a big audience.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Bros, I think Valve is pretty aware of how much sales they are losing for making it VR only. They dont care

Last edited:

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I never finished Half-Life 2 back in the day, I dimly recall endless seeming travelling by a boat thing of some kind or being stuck in a hole and I couldn't get out. I can't remember which was the reason I put it down. So consequently when the Orange Box came around I only played Portal and some TF2. Colour me not really caring at all ever. But if interest is waning then I suppose the length of time between releases would be the reason. I should probably give HL2 another go lol it has been a long time since I put it down.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
its super anticipated among the VR community and Valve is selling more Index's than they can handle.

Doubt they care about losing sales to VR exclusivity. They're doing this to make something innovative, not shit out a samey modern FPS in hopes of selling millions of copies.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
It being VR only doesn't help. Every fan I know won't be getting the game because of that, sadly.
This. I have only ONE friend who owns a VR set and it's for PlayStation 4. I don't know a single one who's got it for PC and is therefore interested in Alyx. Some would be, of course, like myself and probably many other, if it wasn't VR. But that was their decision so they have to deal with it. I, personally, just gonna watch it on YouTube.

Shalashaska

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
People do care about Half-Life. It's just that for a lot of folks this is sort of a monkey paw situation, where it isn't Half-Life 3 and it's tied to a piece of hardware not a lot people have.

It's fine for Valve though. HL: Alyx is still acting as a jolt to the PC VR platform which they are heavily invested in, so it's mission accomplished as far as they're concerned.

Last edited:

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
No, you can't. According to this article cheapest VR device that might provide bare-minimum just-passable gaming experience in Alyx costs £340 (390€). It's insane that you have to pay 390€ and still will only get subpar VR experience. Not to mention, availability of this device is very spotty. According to the same article, device that provides decent VR experience costs £394 (450€), but also bad availability.

I just can't fathom why VR pricing apologists always skew cost of entry numbers with half truths and such.
Windows MR headsets have often gone for $130-200 before, but they are mostly out of stock these days. That's probably why you can't find them cheap.

The 'pricing apologists' have never lied. They're actually the only ones telling the truth instead of the "B-But you need a $700 Vive headset!" lies. The only difference is the lack of stock at the moment.

FelixFFM

Nov 7, 2017
Windows MR headsets have often gone for $130-200 before, but they are mostly out of stock these days. That's probably why you can't find them cheap.

The 'pricing apologists' have never lied. They're actually the only ones telling the truth instead of the "B-But you need a $700 Vive headset!" lies. The only difference is the lack of stock at the moment.
Not sure how he's "lying" when the UK list price for the mixed reality headsets is 380 pounds on the official microsoft site. That's 500 USD. The list price for the Rift S is 450EUR which is 515 USD. Even without scalping and availability issues, VR seems to be a good bit more expensive in Europe.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Not sure how he's "lying" when the UK list price for the mixed reality headsets is 380 pounds on the official microsoft site. That's 500 USD. The list price for the Rift S is 450EUR which is 515 USD. Even without scalping and availability issues, VR seems to be a good bit more expensive in Europe.
Amazon and Microsoft's Store are two very different places. I have a UK friend that ordered a HP Windows MR headset from Amazon for 200 pounds before Christmas. It was brand new direct from HP, so it's not a used item or anything.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think people would care a lot more if they didn't have to buy an expensive VR set to play it, but they certainly waited way too long anyways.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
lmao at that sad, slow, and steady 13 year decline in our collective hype for the franchise.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
It's not that. It's because it's VR and a lot already know they won't get it. Also this is a spinoff, so it's not like they're appeasing those that wanted to see what happens after Episode Two. (But we know that now, thanks to the retired original writer revealing his draft for Ep3)

jluFchk.png

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
Well, yeah...the last game was when?

A generation has come and gone where Half Life was just a joke to people. So much has happened since 2007 and gaming has changed a lot.

Doesn't help they are limiting the audience of the game to people on PC with a headset.

The blame is on Valve entirely.

On a more positive note... I do hope the game does well. Maybe Valve's strategy is to release Alyx, tempt people to play the older games, maybe bring out another HL game or a game set in the same universe and then they will do Half Life 3.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Valve has done nothing with Half-Life for 13 years. And when they do it's only for people who can afford to invest in PCVR.
Wouldn't be surprising if it's lagging behind other FPS brands. Although people surely still care, even if Valve barely pokes at it to see if it's still alive.

It's surprising that Alyx exists at all. But then when you hear about Valve selling VR headsets and pushing VR platforms, its existence just takes on a sadness. I'm sure they were creatively driven as well, but that justification being part of it is just so depressingly businessy. Valve feels like a company run by an accountant.

It'd be neat if Valve could once again produce something that I'm interested in. It's been nearly a decade since Portal 2.
The opposite is true. It's very clear that this cannot be a cash grab because it will sell less due to it being a VR game which is still a niche maket.

The idea that Alyx was made in the interest of business is a terrible take. You'd have a much better argument calling a non-VR version of Alyx a cash grab.

Ballpoint Ren

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Maybe if Valve didn't come out with a prequel that nobody wanted, on a platform that few can afford to own, there would be more interest in Half-Life.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
It's Valve's own fault. Making a VR only Half-life game after years of let down around HL3, it's going to be a shit show I think. Alyx will most likely be one of, if not the best VR game ever made and the majority of their non VR fan base is going to hate it because they can't play it, or they are stuck in their ways. If Valve had been treating their huge ips with the love and respect they deserve instead of just randomly making a sidestory VR game, it would be better all around I feel. Instead they are just going to make people hate VR even more, despite VR being here to stay.
This is one of the only ways in the near term future that will push more people to like VR. A huge complaint over the years was that VR has no real games, it's all just tech demos. Of course this isn't true, but there's a perception issue where people only look for huge franchises and dismiss all other games. Half-Life is the first big established IP getting the AAA VR treatment exclusively. As long as it reviews well, it will definitely be an objective improvement to overall VR reception in the gaming community.

Shryke

Oct 26, 2017
Why should people care if Valve doesn't care to finish the story? It's not 3 and it's VR. Will Half-Life Alyx have something that continues after Ep 2? Also a lot of people are just gonna watch it on Twitch or Youtube.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Don't know if true, but sometimes it's good to let some series rest for a while, but if too much time is dangerous for popularity.
Also being VR limits the audience, but at the same time maybe it's the reason why we have a new HL, sometimes the tech is what is needed to revive a franchise in a meaningful way

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
It's surprising that Alyx exists at all. But then when you hear about Valve selling VR headsets and pushing VR platforms, its existence just takes on a sadness. I'm sure they were creatively driven as well, but that justification being part of it is just so depressingly businessy. Valve feels like a company run by an accountant.

It'd be neat if Valve could once again produce something that I'm interested in. It's been nearly a decade since Portal 2.

Releasing a AAA game too assuredly paltry sales on a nascent platform. Run by the worst accountant on Earth.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
Why should people care if Valve doesn't care to finish the story? It's not 3 and it's VR. Will Half-Life Alyx have something that continues after Ep 2? Also a lot of people are just gonna watch it on Twitch or Youtube.

Valve has said in basically every interview that 'you should refresh yourself on the events of Episode 2', so I think we can assume it will tie into it.

And people can read a synopsis instead of watching a movie too. That's their loss of what will probably be the most revolutionary gaming experience in years.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Sounds anecdotal to me. What's the actual MSRP?
Depends on the brand, but they are between 300-400 pounds. Amazon official listings can go way lower when there is stock available.

I mean the graphics and production values. I'm a graphics whore, I want a holodeck experience with realistic graphics.
Seems a bit silly. Half-Life: Alyx is definitely the best looking VR game graphically speaking, at least outside of walking simulators, photogrammetry scans, light-field captures and stuff.

I'd also expect Alyx to have the best sound design of any VR game so far given the confirmation of HRTF usage.

FelixFFM

Nov 7, 2017
Depends on the brand, but they are between 300-400 pounds. Amazon official listings can go way lower when there is stock available.

Seems a bit silly. Half-Life: Alyx is definitely the best looking VR game graphically speaking, at least outside of walking simulators, photogrammetry scans, light-field captures and stuff.

300-400 MSRP pounds is high. It's certainly higher than the price of entry for US consumers.
As for the graphics, this is why I'm interested in Alyx, but not the other games that were mentioned (superhot etc).

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
This is true on the whole but Steam has such widespread reach that this will be a consistent seller for a very long time. The main limitation for the game will be the VR requirement rather than the diminishing brand importance of HL.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

The game at minimum settings is also probably as good looking and detailed (or better, given the interactions only possible in VR) as some of the biggest AAA games on console, so I am unsure what people think of when they say it looks bad.

Nov 5, 2019
Feels like Half-life is only for those who were invested into the game at the time. For those of us waddlers who never had an investment, this just seems like your standard dystopian future with gun shooting and stuff.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Then what is the point of making games?

To push the medium forward. They are only making this game because new tech is here, and they want to see what they can do with it. Valve could sit and do nothing and just generate money from Steam, CS:GO, DOTA 2 (2 of the biggest games around right now) and TF2, if they wanted to.

Oct 29, 2017
This thread will age poorly.

Right now, the main constraint is how fast VR headsets can be manufactured, seeing as they are always sold out. I don't think anyone expects HL:A to be a blowout, but I expect it to sell very well with time as the first truly AAA VR game.