• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
NOTE! Turn on subtitles!

Edit: If you are looking for extensive parts on Dishonored and Prey this isn't that, they will get their own full docs this Summer! This is about more unknown history of Arkane and what lead to their flagship titles.

www.youtube.com

The Untold History of Arkane: Dishonored / Prey / Ravenholm / LMNO / The Crossing

► Make sure to turn on "French Speakers Only" Subtitles (hit the gear icon on YouTube) SUBSCRIBE for More Free Game Docs ► http://bit.ly/noclipsubscribe Beco...

Last edited:

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
What the hell I just checked their channel 20 minutes ago and I didn't see it. Am I blind or what.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Easily one of the best studios in the world.

I love you, Arkane!

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Arkane are so good, been looking forward to this for a while. Need a new game from them!

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I like Arkane but how come one of the best studios in the world can't release one game with half decent sound design?

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
Arkane worked on LMNO? I had no idea. I've been fascinated by that project ever since it was announced. And I adore the Dishonored games, so this is a must watch for me.

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Damn thats a lot of HL:Ravenholm footage. Seemed quite finished. Love the different types of weapons and puzzle concepts.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Great stuff. As it would be equally great if Deathloop released out of nowhere before this year's end. Eager to see more on that when the next video hits.

OP
OP
Tovarisc

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
That was really solid doc on origins on Arkane, route they had to take and eventually lead them to their flagship game, Dishonored.

Will be interesting to see just how meaty those docs on Dishonored and Prey will be, something to look towards to for the Summer.

Joris-truly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
Great episode! A lot of footage for Unseen64 to extract. :)

Sad to see they seemed devastated by Ravenholm cancellation. I hope they one day release the latest build for the community to maybe fix it up. Would be amazing for the Half-life community!

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Even in the canceled games, they are unmistakably "Arkane games". It's so great to see that footage of LMNO, Ravenholm, and The Crossing. The Arkane slide in LMNO brought a smile to my face. Ravenholm looked so damn good. Parts of The Crossing definitely seem to be getting recycled into Deathloop, which is exciting.

I'm also glad to see that there appears to be no bad blood between Raph and the Arkane guys. Both branches of the studio appear to be in good hands.

Blizz

Oct 25, 2017
Another outstanding documentary by NoClip as per usual, loved it, can't wait for the Prey documentary and to see more of Deathloop, Arkane's one of the best developers out there right now.

spiel

Oct 28, 2017
Very cool documentary. Arkane's dedication to player agency in their games is just amazing. Hope the Dishonored video delves into the design of the Clockwork Mansion.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Great stuff, though I notice there is zero mention of how Dishonored 2 and Prey both sold poorly and how the studio is holding up financially, what Bethesda expects of them, etc.

Seems clear that Deathloop will be The Crossing reborn, a hybrid single player/multiplayer game. Bethesda seems to have issued a mandate sometime in the past few years that all their projects have to have a multiplayer component now.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing to see that Crossing was so far along. I never heard of it past the initial trailer.

Same for LMNO. The gameplay of the level they made was pretty polished. Its like seeing Mirror's Edge and Bioshock Infinite but almost 5 years earlier.

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Another great doc from Danny. Arkane deserves so much more praise than they get.

Hearing Arkane did a few levels in Bioshock 2 has me the most excited I've ever been to play that game. I originally dropped it after the first hour, and did the same for Minerva's Den, which doesn't hold up nearly as well as people say it does.

Onlygames

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 21, 2020
De_Dust2
Loved this. Really interesting to see the previously untold story about those cancelled projects. I remember being so hyped about The Crossing at the time. Gutted that it never came out!

But yeah Arkane easily one of my favourite devs around and I'm super excited for Deathloop.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
This was a great video. It's cool to see all these prototypes/early versions, especially Ravenholm.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Incredible documentary. So many good details on The Crossing, LMNO, and Ravenholm - and the nuggets about Dishonored and Prey were great too.

Can't wait for the Dishonored- and Prey-specific episodes later this summer!

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017
Not a single mention of Deathloop unless I missed it.
It was mentioned once, I think by Ricardo. But only a name drop.

The doc was incredible. I only heard rumors about ravenholm. It's a shame that it never saw the light of day, the nail gun and electric mechanics looked really fun and innovative.
Also look at the graphics of lmno. The animations and character models aside, this coming out around 2010 would have been a looker.
As Raf said, lots of bad luck. But in the end, they gave us dishonored and prey, two names that will forever be up there with thief, system shock and deus ex.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing this, I want Ravenholm more, if only because it was Sheppard and looked amazing.

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
Great documentary, as per usual, really enjoyed looking at their unreleased projects, Ravenholm especially

Looking forward to Dishonored doc too, i hope they have a meaty section about the art direction in it

Deleted member 1105

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This was a fantastic watch, congrats to Danny and everyone else who worked on it. I did find it a bit strange they didn't mention Death of the Outsider, unless I missed something. Hopefully the Dishonored doc that was teased will delve deeper.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
It's amazing how these games, despite being old and in unfinished states, look so fun and interesting to play. Arkane excels at gameplay and world design, and those things don't age quite like graphics do. I'm glad a lot of the ideas have been recycled into the likes of Dishonored, Prey, and almost certainly Deathloop.

This was a fantastic watch, congrats to Danny and everyone else who worked on it. I did find it a bit strange they didn't mention Death of the Outsider, unless I missed something. Hopefully the Dishonored doc that was teased will delve deeper.

Indeed. They glossed over Mooncrash as well. I suspect the Dishonored and Prey videos will go in-depth on them.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Such a good documentary. The stuff about the cancelled projects was fascinating. Ravenholm seems like it could have been awesome.