• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019

Now this is something I'm definitely going to watch. Really enjoyed their Bethesda and Fallout 76 documentaries. It's indeed true, Hitman did indeed fall and then rise again. Absolution could have meant the end for the franchise, instead they went back to the roots and it's better than ever.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Having just worked with the NoClip guys when they were at the studio I work filming a doc here... I must say I can't wait to see how they cover Hitman as it's a great series and I've enjoyed all the other NoClip docs so far.

Definitely going to watch this tonight.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
So many game documentaries on YouTube have "rise" and "fall" in their titles.

Folks really like that simplified narrative, I guess.

Will watch at lunch probably. Love that series.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
From my thread that I posted just after this thread:

Another great doc by Danny and the rest of the Noclip team. The story of IO Interactive is a great one, and a perfect follow up to Noclip's Telltale documentary. This is just part 1 of 4 in a bigger series about Hitman, so there's more to come later this week. It also confirms that Hitman 3 is in development and that IO is working on a big new IP alongside it. I'm super happy that the sales of Hitman 2 (and Hitman 2016 after Sqexit) are high enough for them to be able to work on new things, let alone 2 big projects at the same time.

Also; new Hitman 2 sniper map out tomorrow.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious about the title. While 2016 saw a lot of critical success it was by no means a commercial success and it seems like Hitman 2 has faced some of the same difficulties, so it seems a little odd to refer to that as a rise or return to form.

OP
OP
Detective Pidgey

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019

Another great doc by Danny and the rest of the Noclip team. The story of IO Interactive is a great one, and a perfect follow up to Noclip's Telltale documentary. This is just part 1 of 4 in a bigger series about Hitman, so there's more to come later this week. It also confirms that Hitman 3 is in development and that IO is working on a big new IP alongside it. I'm super happy that the sales of Hitman 2 (and Hitman 2016 after Sqexit) are high enough for them to be able to work on new things, let alone 2 big projects at the same time.

Holy shit that is superb news! A new IP even, and Hitman 3? Oh man I'm so glad for IO.

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
Great work from Noclip again, can't wait for the remaining parts.
So happy they confirmed 3 will happen, another IP is the cherry on top.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Watch them call it Hitman: Contracts just for some more titling fuckery.

But this is great news! The studio seemed on the verge of apocalypse only a couple years ago, and even Hitman 1's sales seemed to have been hugely disappointing, yet here they are, managing to survive off these iconic stealth games, so much they even seem to be expanding and able to work on a separate big IP alongside. Very talented dev all around and I'm happy for their success. The original Hitman 2 remains one of my all-time favourite gaming memories, and while none of the games after managed to capture that magic (it was the first Hitman game I played so maybe it's just that), it's fun to look at how much they managed to evolve the formula and yet still make it look and feel like Hitman 2 in many ways.

I'll make sure to watch this documentary sooner or later.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Watch them call it Hitman: Contracts just for some more titling fuckery.

But this is great news! The studio seemed on the verge of apocalypse only a couple years ago, and even Hitman 1's sales seemed to have been hugely disappointing, yet here they are, managing to survive off these iconic stealth games, so much they even seem to be expanding and able to work on a separate big IP alongside. Very talented dev all around and I'm happy for their success. The original Hitman 2 remains one of my all-time favourite gaming memories, and while none of the games after managed to capture that magic (it was the first Hitman game I played so maybe it's just that), it's fun to look at how much they managed to evolve the formula and yet still make it look and feel like Hitman 2 in many ways.

I'll make sure to watch this documentary sooner or later.
The official title will be "HiTMAN (2016)" just to mess with me personally.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm curious about the title. While 2016 saw a lot of critical success it was by no means a commercial success and it seems like Hitman 2 has faced some of the same difficulties, so it seems a little odd to refer to that as a rise or return to form.
Watch the doc. They just opened a new studio and are working on 2 new games as we speak. They also went from 1.8 million Hitman 2016 players to (iirc) 5.9 million players after the split with Square. Also they are considering to return to episodic releases with Hitman 3, so the games are selling well enough for them to be able to take such risks.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
It also confirms that Hitman 3 is in development and that IO is working on a big new IP alongside it.

Hell yeah, thats amazing news. I love these new titles, a couple of my favorites from this gen

EDIT: oh, and they are considering bringing the episodic strtucture back? I very okay with that

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
Just watched this and it was fantastic.

Really happy to hear Hitman 3 and a new IP is being worked on.

Hitman and Hitman 2 are amazing games and everyone should play them.

OP
OP
Detective Pidgey

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Hell yeah, thats amazing news. I love these new titles, a couple of my favorites from this gen

EDIT: oh, and they are considering bringing the episodic strtucture back? I very okay with that

Hmmm, that's the one thing I didn't want to read. Wonder why they would do that. I really thought that was a SE thing.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Hmmm, that's the one thing I didn't want to read. Wonder why they would do that. I really thought that was a SE thing.
I'd say it's the best for both the maps and the development team. There are still a lot of players who play each map only once or twice before they continue on to the next one. Only having one map available to you every other month might trigger people to invest more time in each map and getting hooked to the gameplay loop. It also creates an opportunity for IO to release Hitman 3 sooner rather than later, because they don't have to finish 5-6 maps before launch, and they can implement feedback from fans in the new maps or look at stats of how people play the maps and use that to improve the maps that are still in development.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
But this is the other way around. The fall first, then the rise.

WAIT THEY CAN DO THAT?

giphy.gif

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Hitman 2 being made by half the team in less than 2 years makes me feel Hitman 3 isn't far off at all.

Mar 29, 2018
I didn't even know there was a "rise"! I thought things remained poor after the Square Enix split!

This is phenomenal to hear. I'm so happy for them. I always felt a lot of guilt for not buying HITMAN 2. Now I feel fine about it, glad to see everyone else picked up the slack.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
Hitman and Hitman 2 are honestly some of my favorite games of all time. It's so much fun to just run one of those giant levels and see if you can make an overly complicated, ridiculous plan to kill a target in a way that the game doesn't explicitly tell you to.

OP
OP
Detective Pidgey

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Question about Hitman 2. If I were to buy it now. Does that enhance (some visual improvements) the Hitman 1 locations as well?

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Question about Hitman 2. If I were to buy it now. Does that enhance (some visual improvements) the Hitman 1 locations as well?
Yeah, if you own Hitman 1 on the same platform you get all those levels for free as downloads into the H2 client. These versions have minor visual upgrades but more importantly include the new H2 features, so you can hide in thick crowds and foliage, find briefcases to hide illegal items, and be spotted doing illegal actions by cameras.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I'm so fucking happy that they're doing well! Also Squexit is pretty funny.

There is better looking destruction on PC but I think that's it for visual improvement. It's more about the new features such as hiding in foliage, new equipment and smarter AI that were added to the maps in Hitman 2016.

Quick query: Having yet to play H2, how spoilery is the video?
Only if you consider the locations spoilers.

OP
OP
Detective Pidgey

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Yeah, if you own Hitman 1 on the same platform you get all those levels for free as downloads into the H2 client. These versions have minor visual upgrades but more importantly include the new H2 features, so you can hide in thick crowds and foliage, find briefcases to hide illegal items, and be spotted doing illegal actions by cameras.

I'm so fucking happy that they're doing well! Also Squexit is pretty funny.

There is better looking destruction on PC but I think that's it for visual improvement. It's more about the new features such as hiding in foliage, new equipment and smarter AI that were added to the maps in Hitman 2016.

Only if you consider the locations spoilers.

That's awesome stuff. And I believe it's in the Xbox sale now too, would be nuts to ignore this.

Hitokiri03

Oct 25, 2017
Good to see that they're doing well also interesting that when they put Paris for free the sales went above their expectations.

Hats off to Square Enix for being so good with the separation.
I'm pretty surprised in a positive way in how they handled this. A lot of publishers would just close the studio and retain the IP.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Don't forget about working mirrors.

Jarhab

Alt account
Banned
Jul 26, 2019
I hope they drop the Sniper Assassin and Ghost modes in Hitman 3. They're fun for about an hour and don't add much value to the product as a whole. You can tell that the budget for those modes cut into the budget for the Special Assignments, which is why they're so half-assed compared to the ones in the first season. It's also likely why there have been so few new ETs for Hitman 2.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they drop the Sniper Assassin and Ghost modes in Hitman 3. They're fun for about an hour and don't add much value to the product as a whole. You can tell that the budget for those modes cut into the budget for the Special Assignments, which is why they're so half-assed compared to the ones in the first season. It's also likely why there have been so few new ETs for Hitman 2.

I think the smaller team meant all of their ambitions scaled back. IO also confirmed they'll be putting out new ETs for the 2018 game after all of the DLC maps are out in their August roadmap stream, I believe.

Jarhab

Alt account
Banned
Jul 26, 2019
I think the smaller team meant all of their ambitions scaled back. IO also confirmed they'll be putting out new ETs for the 2018 game after all of the DLC maps are out in their August roadmap stream, I believe.

Except if they had a smaller team and budget, why waste resources on throwaway content and features like Sniper Assassin and Ghost mode? I'm guessing WB demanded some sort of multiplayer component as part of the publishing deal.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Square handles this well, but another key part to this story is the word "union".

rouken

Oct 27, 2017
Philippines
this is an awesome doc, so happy for IOI. they did say that when they made hitman 2016 free, it saw a rise of new users trying and buying the game. that's what keep them afloat after the sqexit

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome doc and great that IO manage to turn around and even improve after that. Also SE is a great publisher from what I've seen, shame that Marvel projects pretty much took their budget and manpower

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah,

Hakan Abrak CEO of IOI

"It's gonna be one game with all the locations starting from Paris in Hitman 1 to the last location in Hitman 3, where it's 20-plus locations. So the ultimate globetrotting experience that we wanted to achieve."

The install size of the full package will be monstrous. 1+2 is already the biggest game I've ever had on my hard drive.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Good on square for how they handled selling IOI. I'm really happy to hear that the free Paris thing converted into so many sales. They really deserve any success they get!