• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I wonder if he will be alive when the game is released...

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
finally-gif-18.gif
LOL. Exactly the way I felt when I read the title.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
LMAO!!!! amazing jokes lool xD
I think it's also an internal joke within the company.

As the Distant Worlds concert in London last year they played I think it was Bombing mission with the remake trailer on in the background. Arnie Roth the conductor at the end of the piece said to the SE staff in attendance to hurry up with the game and got a huge cheer.

Reveirg

Nov 20, 2017
To my knowledge, Uematsu doesn't really arrange or orchestrate music. Good to know he's involved in some way (probably in a supervising role), but I'm more interested to know who's going to work with him. Some of S-E's recent collaborators are such amazing orchestrators — Sachiko Miyano and Yoshitaka Suzuki come to mind. I would love to see them involved!

OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's also an internal joke within the company.

As the Distant Worlds concert in London last year they played I think it was Bombing mission with the remake trailer on in the background. Arnie Roth the conductor at the end of the piece said to the SE staff in attendance to hurry up with the game and got a huge cheer.
Kitase a few months ago:
Kitase then signs us off by making the joke previously mentioned in the thread, saying he wishes to keep on polishing up the game for the 35th anniversary, to which they all laugh and Hamaguchi responds objectingly "Hey that's a long ways off!"
He then however, also goes on to say that a lot is hanging on the next (presumably big) event, and that they're hoping to show off (the game) by then.

Source.

And I would be careful with joking about Nomura delaying FFVIIR:
Ryan: So, zips and belts are prevalent in the character design. Is that just because you like the aesthetic? Does it have meaning behind it? Why does Donald's hat have zips?

Nomura: That was my preference back when I first designed the characters, so 15 years ago. At that time, people teased me about zippers and belts and whatnot and I'm the type of person if somebody eggs me on I'm gonna do it more! Nowadays, I'm not as conscious about adding them in.

I'm not the type of person that would shrink down when people tease me about it. I'm gonna fight back! I'm gonna go back at it and do it more. So, if people egg me on saying 'oh, Kingdom Hearts III is delayed' well, I might even delay it further! (laughs)

Source.

But that doesn't make these tired-ass jokes in every single FFVIIR better (the same ones as for Versus for a decade - and KH3) :shrug:

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Uematsu is way, way past his prime in 2018, but if they're just having him oversee the composers that will be arranging his OG work from VII, that sounds like a pretty solid team.
What has he been doing since he left Square? I really haven't heard anything from him since that time. I've read more than once how he's now "past his prime", but I can gauge how true that statement is.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
What has he been doing since he left Square? I really haven't heard anything from him since that time. I've read more than once how he's now "past his prime", but I can gauge how true that statement is.

Mostly small a-la-carte contract work. He did the music in Terra Battle and Terra Battle 2 (I think?), as well as contributing a few single songs to some other projects. The last full soundtracks he worked on were The Last Story and the original pre-reboot FFXIV. Most of his work on OG FFXIV was not carried over into A Realm Reborn, with a few small exceptions.

Most recently, he contributed a couple of pieces to the FFXV multiplayer expansion, Comrades.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, if Square really wanted to pull out all the stops, they would get Shimomura to do the whole soundtrack by herself.

Mostly small a-la-carte contract work. He did the music in Terra Battle and Terra Battle 2 (I think?), as well as contributing a few single songs to some other projects. The last full soundtracks he worked on were The Last Story and the original pre-reboot FFXIV. Most of his work on OG FFXIV was not carried over into A Realm Reborn, with a few small exceptions.

Most recently, he contributed a couple of pieces to the FFXV multiplayer expansion, Comrades.
I see. How did you find the soundtrack of The Last Story?

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
My prediction is that the game release during the 2nd year after the PS5 release.

Zerokingx

Oct 29, 2017
He has also composer the main themes FF14 ARR and Heavensward and Stormblood also FF15 Comrades Main Theme:

Oct 27, 2017
Just have Fantasy Life's Tavern theme music by Uematsu play throughout the whole game and it would be better than the entire FFVII soundtrack being in the game:

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Doubt he has much involvement. Probably just 1-2 tracks like he does for FFXIV these days.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Doubt he has much involvement. Probably just 1-2 tracks like he does for FFXIV these days.

I would imagine he's the guy "in charge" but not the person doing all the arrangements. So the composers/arrangers working on the OST for FFVIIR report directly to him and he decides if their work captures the spirit of his original tracks well.

This is a remake, after all - they're not going to do an entirely new soundtrack. The game already has a score, it just needs to be updated.

Zeron

Oct 27, 2017
Iowa
Have the people requesting full orchestration listened to the original soundtrack? The majority of it was not meant to sound orchestral

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I would imagine he's the guy "in charge" but not the person doing all the arrangements. So the composers/arrangers working on the OST for FFVIIR report directly to him and he decides if their work captures the spirit of his original tracks well.
This would also be acceptable. He would essentially be the producer; as in, "music producer" like we understand it in the west.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This would also be acceptable. He would essentially be the producer; as in, "music producer" like we understand it in the west.

Basically. I really don't think Uematsu has the bandwidth to completely rearrange his entire score from scratch at this point, but keeping an eye on a bunch of people doing it for him and making sure they don't mess it up wounds 100% like something he would be game to do.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I'd rather have Tsuyoshi Sekito be the lead composer of FF7 Remake, he has shown to be a tremendous composer and he was the lead guitarist in the Black Mages band. If there's anyone I trust when it comes to re-arrange Final Fantasy VII, it'd be him.

edit: him on the guitar

You linked to the best part. Nice.

Kinopio

Oct 27, 2017
Great news- this is about the first time I've felt happiness in relation to this project since shortly after the reveal.

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
They have to triple the soundtrack too if we're getting a 3 part series.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Well not surprising and by involvement it could be he overlooks the people who will remix his tracks or work on some tracks alongside similar to what he did with FFXIII-2.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
In a bizarre twist, Uematsu is actually taking on the role of production lead for engine optimization. A true Maestro.

Jashobeam

Oct 27, 2017
I hope he is overseeing the entire OST, its long overdue, his work on FFIV is a return to form, and I actually wouldn't mind some new tracks for the game, replacing some of older songs that don't fit well with the tone of the remake.

TLSLex

Oct 26, 2017
Scotland
I'm not so sure this is 100% confirmation Uematsu is working on the Remake. The interview this article was pulled from is related to "BRA ★ BRA Final Fantasy", It's heavily implied in the interview that he is, so I'm cautiously optimistic:

Kitase : Currently, I am working on the FFVII Remake, and although Uematsu-san has been working on various titles, I haven't worked directly with him since FFX. When I first went to ask Uematsu-san to work on the music for the remake, he had already distanced himself from SE to work on other projects, so I was thinking (worried) I might be treated coldly….

Everybody present : (laughs)

Kitase : Or so I thought, but the power of the words FFVII man

I just put up an article about this over on thelifestream.