• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
$1b (or like $350m after lump sum and taxes) is just insane. I feel like there will be 2 winning tickets, but with so many less people buying tickets these days who knows.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
Alright I got a ticket tonight, IF I WIN the Mega Millions on the 22nd of 2021 I will get everyone who posted in the first 15 pages of this thread a PS5 or XSX. Woof Woof to the moon.

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
i think i'm gonna cave and get a couple of tickets, i keep seeing this thread bumped and the prospect of a billion dollars sounds pretty nice even if its a galactically long shot

Alright I got a ticket tonight, IF I WIN the Mega Millions on the 22nd of 2021 I will get everyone who posted in the first 15 pages of this thread a PS5 or XSX. Woof Woof to the moon.

please

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
We'll all hold you to that haha. I told my friends in a smaller discord server that if I somehow won I'd buy them all good PCs once the dust settled.

slider

Nov 10, 2020
Wow! What a huge amount. Good luck to the folk taking part. If you win and need someone sensible to keep you grounded, I'm your guy...

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
I never play the lottery but at this level of winnings I almost feel it would be dumb not to. How long until the next drawing? I legit know nothing about it lol.

Rapture

Oct 26, 2017
c7NJRa2.gif

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
I simulated 100,000 Mega Millions drawings (only the first 5 numbers) and the frequency distribution of each ball maps fairly well onto the real world data; the same biases are there. If you want to maximize your chances of winning, then you will want to pick your numbers based on the frequency curves in the chart (i.e. around the peaks of each curve).

FtqUWUZ.jpg

I haven't calculated the odds of winning based on these simulated results, but the odds are that you are still not going to win lol.

Is Ball 1 the first ball drawn, or the least of the five winning numbers?

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
Living off the interest of 100mil would allow you to live a lifestyle of 1.2mil a year. That's 3.2k a day. I'd kill myself from all the obscene takeout. Hollandaise 4 days.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
Tuesdays and Fridays

Ah okay cool. thank you! How much you usually gotta pay? Do you pick your own numbers? Sorry for the 3rd degree I'm just legit a lottery noob lmao.

In the extremely unlikely even I win I pledge to give at least 35 percent of all winnings to charities and to those in need. I'll let Era vote on where to give it, multiple choices allowed and multiple donations OK. lol

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
I do have to go to the store today. Might pick a ticket up when I'm there.

With Covid still raging you could probably save even more living off of the interest as life is still caught in limbo as of right now.

Oct 27, 2017
Ah okay cool. thank you! How much you usually gotta pay? Do you pick your own numbers? Sorry for the 3rd degree I'm just legit a lottery noob lmao.

In the extremely unlikely even I win I pledge to give at least 35 percent of all winnings to charities and to those in need. I'll let Era vote on where to give it, multiple choices allowed and multiple donations OK. lol

it's 2 bucks a play, and you can pick your own numbers or have the computer pick em for you.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017

The price depends on the state you are in as the lottery is managed by each state. I know most, if not all, allow you to let the computer pick your numbers. I do believe the majority of these huge wins have come from doing the random selection.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
The price depends on the state you are in as the lottery is managed by each state. I know most, if not all, allow you to let the computer pick your numbers. I do believe the majority of these huge wins have come from doing the random selection.

I probably will end up doing random because I don't have any lucky numbers that I'm partial to or anything. Anything that can be attributed back to me is probably unlucky AF anyway lol. Florida here btw.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
I wonder if the missus wants to go out and get tickets. 1 billion dollars (almost) is enough to make her take the plunge.

I've won $170 total in lottery tickets in my life. Though I didn't pay any money for those (gifts)

Ducarmel

Oct 25, 2017
I have been spending a little too much on this $40 a week, but now that powerball is gone I guess I'll just spend 20 on the mega.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
The latter. 5 numbers randomly selected, then sorted so balls 1-5 are smallest to largest.

That's what I thought. I'm sorry to say that the graphic is not all that indicative of what numbers to pick, then. Each number does not have an equal chance of being Ball 1, given that it is selected as a winning number. For instance, if selected, a 2 has a much higher probability of being Ball 1 than, say, 30. So it is natural the Ball 1 curve will trend to lower numbers, and vice versa.

The trends you see come from the ordering of the numbers, not the random selection.

Cool program, though. I always tell myself I'm going to get back into coding. It's been 11 years since my last project (back in college).

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
It took me 2268 years to win a million dollars on that simulator. So really, what I'm getting on this is I need to be researching cryogenics.