• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not making fun of lottery players here (heck, I play once in a while and have money in Yotta) but I've never quite understood the logic of getting hyped up when the pot gets this big. Anything over $5 million or so would be life changing, and the rest would just be gravy. Sure, the pot is huge now, but your odds of winning now are the same as when it's $50 million. Is $50 million not enough?

I get that bigger numbers are more exciting, but I would rather have better odds for a $5 million jackpot than 1:330,000,000 odds for Brewster's Millions level money.

Dark Mantonio

Nov 1, 2017
200.gif

We got a little too close a few days ago

I've read that post several times throughout the years. That was always my favorite line.

Sheentak

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not making fun of lottery players here (heck, I play once in a while and have money in Yotta) but I've never quite understood the logic of getting hyped up when the pot gets this big. Anything over $5 million or so would be life changing, and the rest would just be gravy. Sure, the pot is huge now, but your odds of winning now are the same as when it's $50 million. Is $50 million not enough?

I get that bigger numbers are more exciting, but I would rather have better odds for a $5 million jackpot than 1:330,000,000 odds for Brewster's Millions level money.
Fantasy of winning it. Its not gonna happen but the escapism of thinking winning that money changes lives

natjjohn

Oct 25, 2017
It's fun to play when jackpots are huge. Fun thoughts. Nobody should throw any serious cash at buying up lines.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
This is the only kind of peer pressure that can shake my soul, the thought of such an unlikely scenario still weights more heavily than real life stress.
The thought of coming in on Monday listening to Cathy and Sue and all the rest talk about retiring early and what color car they are going to buy while I have to sit at my desk and eat shit for the rest of the week is horrifying.

Like I said I always suspected it was rigged and we have like 60 people play so it would have to be a huge ass jakcpot to get each of us a few million but I still play when they do...

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
It's fun to hypothesize how your life could drastically change by luck.
The fun turns to nightmares of trying to hide that amount of money from people looking to butter you up for a slice of the pie. The hoops I would go through to remain anonymous in all of this would be astounding. Sure, at the end I'd be richer than any one person should ever be, but it'd also be something I'd absolute hide from the world.

In reality, I would end up giving most of it away to charitable and just causes then disappear with a few million to live in obscurity for the rest of my life. At least as long as "long lost relatives" don't find out.

Oct 25, 2017
my SO and I do this like once a year, I guess we'll jump in tonight for our yearly lotto imagining 🤔

Last edited:

Joe

Oct 25, 2017

Well, if I got hyped up every time it hit $5mm, I'd be buying lottery tickets a lot more often!

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
did yall not learn that to win you have to be white, old, and work in a factory who pooled in to play?

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
$750 million is getting pretty close to the point where expected value of buying a ticket is actually positive.

Voror

Oct 25, 2017
Some of my family bought a few tickets. Thought about it but I just don't see the point since chances of winning are just so small.

Hell, just a 100k of that would do me a lot of good. I'm not sure what I'd even do with that much money.

yLEFTy

Jan 22, 2019
Crazy..I used to live close to the border of a state that didn't have a lottery. The lines were ridiculous when the jackpot got this big

W-00

Oct 27, 2017
Used to play the lotto now-and-then, but I haven't bought a ticket since the pandemic started. Think I might have to break that streak.

I'm going out for groceries later today, but using curbside pickup so I don't have to go inside the store. My state doesn't allow online lotto tickets, either. Guess I'll have to decide which gas station I think has the lowest odds of exposure to the virus.
If I win I'm buying eveyone in the first 5 pages a ps5.
Thanks!

The odds of winning a smaller, local lottery are still small enough that they're still just fantasy-bait (in my opinion) and it's more fun to fantasize about the impossibly large amounts, so if I'm going after fantasy bait, I'm going after the stuff that's more fun. Besides, like Joe said, if I bought tickets for the $5m lottos, I'd be spending a lot more money on tickets.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I guess I'll play.

I do only play the lotto when it's some stupid high number that doesn't make sense.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Literally $100,000 would be life altering. I can't imagine having that much money.

Nov 18, 2020
Personally I'm pretty fortunate relative to the average American. I own property with no mortgage, I have a sizable emergency fund, I have retirement savings, I have a good job, I go on vacations regularly, my family is well off...if you go above a certain level of wealth where money is no longer a stressor, I almost feel like suddenly gaining a $388 million lump-sum windfall (after tax) would be a net negative.

People become so envious that your life becomes frightening. Family and friends treat you differently and finding true love is much harder than before. And you always have to look over your shoulder and worry about people looking to scam you out of your money 24/7. It seems pretty miserable tbh.

I personally value my anonymity more than the new life I would gain.

However, if you're currently struggling right now, winning the jackpot would be life-changing. There are definitely ways to do it right and minimize the downsides as much as you can, like setting up controlled trusts for your family, immediately fleeing the country and buying beautiful property overseas, claiming it anonymously and then invest it in Vanguard + live off the dividends and capital gains, etc. Good luck to everyone here.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Personally I'm pretty fortunate relative to the average American. I own property with no mortgage, I have a sizable emergency fund, I have retirement savings, I have a good job, I go on vacations regularly, my family is well off...if you go above a certain level of wealth where money is no longer a stressor, I almost feel like suddenly gaining a $388 million lump-sum windfall (after tax) would be a net negative.

People become so envious that your life becomes frightening. Family and friends treat you differently and finding true love is much harder than before. And you always have to look over your shoulder and worry about people looking to scam you out of your money 24/7. It seems pretty miserable tbh.

I personally value my anonymity more than the new life I would gain.

However, if you're currently struggling right now, winning the jackpot would be life-changing. There are definitely ways to do it right and minimize the downsides as much as you can, like setting up controlled trusts for your family, immediately fleeing the country and buying beautiful property overseas, claiming it anonymously and then invest it in Vanguard + live off the dividends and capital gains, etc. Good luck to everyone here.

Can you adopt me?

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Is it legal for a Canadian to join in? Otherwise I'll just ask my bro to get me a ticket but he'll probably claim everything if it does win lol.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
RIP to anyone who works at a place that sells lotto tickets... These customers are aggressive, and form huge lines because they all have their own (losing) magic numbers. They aren't even worth the time of the retailer since they get less than 1% of the sale price.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bought a few tickets. I'd probably be terrified if I actually won.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I hate that this works on me. Like it's not worthi it if it's only 20 million, but let's throw our cash into the fire along with everyone else when it gets super high.

the only thing i want is one of those old-person bath tubs

Women%20sitting%20in%20walk-in%20tub.jpg

As a disabled person, unironically this.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
With that kind of money you could vaccinate 20% of the country

Deleted member 5876

Big Seller
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is why you are better off playing in the state only lottery as the odds are better and its still millions.
Or playing scratch-its as the odds are better still but the payoffs aren't as grand.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I wish I could buy a ticket from home.

Seriously don't want to go out to get one.