• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen reviewers often bring up DxM as a "disappointment" and that "nothing has changed" since its prototype missions, citing the final game having poor framerates and mechs still being slow, yet there are a subset of folk who actually stand by the game claiming it's actually a really good spiritual successor to Armored Core. I managed to score a $50 Amazon gift card during Black Friday, and while I set my sights on Dragon Quest XI, it sadly never dropped back to its $50 price point during both Black Firday and Cyber Monday sales. DxM on the other hand, was always constantly on sale at $49.99, so to me it seemed the choice was clear. Boy am I glad that I settled with it...

For starters, the customization options are pretty robust, but what I didn't expect was to be able to tweak even the UI to the degree that I could. The very first thing I did during tutorial mission was adjust my HUD to make it less cluttered, and I was surprised you can even scale down HUD elements to your liking. The other most noticeable thing in the game was just how wrong reviewers were about controlling your mech in the final version: Almost immediately I noticed that you mech actually moves fast...ridiculously fast, too, provided it had light armaments. Boosting felt good, and staying on-air, afloat and dropping down no longer felt sluggish like it did in the demo. In fact, it feels even better than the mech controls in Xenoblade Chronicles X. Everything is responsive, and aiming feels much better. Add to the fact you can opt for gyro controls just puts icing on an already nice cake.

...Which brings me to the actual gameplay: So far I'm actually enjoying the campaign, and missions start out simple but get progressively more interesting going further. Its mission structure reminds me heavily of Ace Combat somewhat: You're given a map of various sizes and structures, sometimes it's just a regular point A to B mission, but other times it's a huge sprawling open area or a network of corridors. Missions are pretty diversified for the most part. Map recycling tends to happen, but it does often tie in with story and locals that you clear. And speaking of which, I'm actually hooked a bit on its plot, pehaps because the English voice acting is pretty good (consisting of voices whom I recognize from Ghost in the Shell Stand Along Complex).

Performance is actually really good too, and I'm surprised as to how Marvelous has managed to iron-out the kinks of their UE4 developed game since the Prototype Missions. I don't recall any major dips in framerate, and granted it could be also just the result of recent patches. Resolution doesn't seem bad at all, and even for something that's perhaps not native 1080p, the image quality is still remarkably clear. I'd say it kind of reminds me of Astral Chain in terms of clarity, except AC has a lot more heavy effects going on.

Right now I'm at Rank C, but I feels there's still so much to uncover. I tried out Multiplayer for a bit and got connected to a Japanese room. Gameplay was surprisingly smooth and stable via LAN, and it's actually pretty fun too. Salvaging parts from beaten Arsenals perhaps is the addicting hook of this game, as you can choose one part from the wreckage loot that goes into your base or inventory, yours to keep. It just makes me come back for more.

So yeah, I feel like this game is like a sleeper hit that deserves more love.

Last edited:

ultramooz

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
It sadly released in a very busy month and had to choose between this and DQ XI...

But it's on my buying list for sure - loved the second demo.

Verder

Oct 28, 2017
Game was amazing and if you love mecha anime's you'll love this one for sure.
Blink on your arsenal got me feeling like I belong in an anime

Ganransu

Nov 21, 2017
I tried the demo, and the shooting felt like arse, read a few internet comments and they said the same, so despite my love for mecha customizations, I decided I'll only buy this if I have the spare time for it.

So... Does the shooting/combat feel/get better? I'll bump this up my list if it does, right now, it's below anime souls and a couple other games.

OP
OP
SiG

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
It sadly released in a very busy month and had to choose between this and DQ XI...

But it's on my buying list for sure - loved the second demo.
I would've chosen DQXI if it had dropped down to $50 on Amazon during Black Friday. Sadly it didn't, so I settled for DxM instead, and I don't regret it!

Game was amazing and if you love mecha anime's you'll love this one for sure.
Blink on your arsenal got me feeling like I belong in an anime
I like how it's giving me older-school Gundam vibes.

I tried the demo, and the shooting felt like arse, read a few internet comments and they said the same, so despite my love for mecha customizations, I decided I'll only buy this if I have the spare time for it.

So... Does the shooting/combat feel/get better? I'll bump this up my list if it does, right now, it's below anime souls and a couple other games.
YES! The demo never did this game justice! The shooting is immensely improved in the final release (a lot less reliant on auto-aim, but getting your shots to count shouldn't be a problem). I'd say forget everything you've heard and bump it up your list! The game controls much faster/more responsive than it did in the demo.

Also if you love gyro aiming, this game just feels good to play.

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017

Did you try the initial beta demo or the updated demo? The shooting mechanics here is different because it is autolocked most of the time. You can also customize your weapon depending on your preference.

OP
OP
SiG

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Did you try the initial beta demo or the updated demo? The shooting mechanics here is different because it is autolocked most of the time. You can also customize your weapon depending on your preference.
The final game is a whole lot less dependent on autoaiming and will only slightly moddify the trajectory of your shots if you have them on your reticule. Leading shots is still a good tactic in this game.

Also make sure to pick up weapons and parts from every downed Arsenal in each mission! The whole thing oddly enough reminds me of MechWarrior 2 and salvaging downed battlemechs, but in this case you have to pick them up/equip them in the heat of battle!

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
I haven't played it yet but my friend who's a Mech game aficionado says it's his GOTY

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
DxM is pretty great yeah. Controls feel super smooth, amount of customization *pilot, mech AND UI* is fantastic and ost is good.

Feels a bit repetitive at times and storytelling was lackluster, but this game is all gameplay and it got that locked down.

ShineALight

Oct 27, 2017
YES! The demo never did this game justice! The shooting is immensely improved in the final release (a lot less reliant on auto-aim, but getting your shots to count shouldn't be a problem). I'd say forget everything you've heard and bump it up your list! The game controls much faster/more responsive than it did in the demo.

Also if you love gyro aiming, this game just feels good to play.

Just to clarify, are you saying that the final game is improved even in comparison to the second demo?

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
If I'm remembering right, most content creators unfortunately aren't gonna cover it because Marvelous Japan copyright claims any videos with gameplay of it, which killed what little chance it had of getting more much needed exposure.

Oct 27, 2017
Releasing a new IP in a largely dwindled genre, a niche genre at that, squarely in the midst of the holiday release frenzy was guaranteed to choke out any real shot it had. Especially when this genre, as someone else mentioned, barely ever reviews well, not that this kind of genre really had any likelihood of reviewing well with the kinds of tastes and kinds of games that garner a higher end of scores from reviewers. It had any and all the ingredients for people to pass on it, even those that might be interested.

I'm mostly broke otherwise I would've grabbed it at launch to support it. It's encouraging that there's enthusiasm for it and for that I'm glad to have read this thread.

OP
OP
SiG

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Just to clarify, are you saying that the final game is improved even in comparison to the second demo?
I believe from what little time I've had with the second demo, yes to that as well. I don't recall my mech moving this fast and the interface being significantly overhauled in any of the the two demos. The image quality and performance also seems to be a step up from both as well.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's great.

As a massive Armored Core fan, it's the main reason I bought a Switch in the first place. I was worried after the first demo, but the devs really listened to feedback and made changes.

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
Daemon X Machina might end up being my favourite game this year, and I played a lot of games that I've enjoyed this past year (Astral Chain, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, What Remains of Edith Finch, Gears 5, FFXII Zodiac Age etc. etc.).

The major caveat here is that the game is designed almost solely for mech nerds. If you're hoping for some well-rounded, highly-polished experience that ticks all the boxes, DXM is definitely not for you. Regardless, it is one of the most interesting games I've played, and here's what it has going for it:

• An in-depth customization system that actually makes a difference to how your mech handles (and looks)
  • A colourful cast of characters that all feel like they're caricatures out of an '80s anime (I mean this in the best way possible)
  • Short story missions (5 - 10 minutes each) with just enough story incentive in between to keep you going
  • A whole lot of side missions, which are often fun remixes of the story missions
  • Incredible multiplayer bosses (which you can also challenge solo, and they're even more challenging)
  • Boss fights feel Monster Hunter-esque in that you grind them for components to create awesome mechs with

A few other minor things:
  • I really do love how eccentric and weird the characters are. Expositions on the nature of missions will slip into monologues about ice-cream.
  • There are so many ways to outfit and colour your mech, I'm constantly "theming" my Arsenal in different ways
  • Different kinds of Guns/Missiles can feel very different from one another, which is awesome as you progress through the game
  • The game is well-paced. Because missions are short and there's constantly little bits of story, things never feel "slow"

DXM may not be well-rounded, big-budget, or the most intensely-polished game, but by god it knows who it's aimed at and it goes out of its way to do things that its target audience would appreciate. If you enjoy '80s-era anime and mechs and customization it's one of the best games of its kind. I prefer it to nearly every other mech game I've played. It's more fun than ZOE, it handles better than Another Century's Episode (which itself feels like a better-handling ZOE), and it's waaaay better on the whole than most Armored Core games.

Literally, the only mech game that I feel outclasses this one is Xenoblade Chronicles X, and that's just an unfair comparison because that game was Nintendo-funded and is among the best, most highly-polished, most ambitious JRPGs in existence.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have a sweet spot for this game, even though it's lacking in some areas. But the feel of the mechs, the visual style, the insane customization options really make it a standout release to me.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I bought it before a recent business trip, but only just started digging into it while taking a break from The Outer Worlds.

I am definitely enjoying it. There are still small perfromance issues but it also feels better than the demo I played.

Bomi-Chan

Nov 8, 2017
it was released in a very bad month...

i will buy this game, but ATM iam too busy to play anything for longer than an hour...

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I picked this back up over the weekend, after not playing since September, and I absolutely love it.

It's like the Forza Horizon to Armored Core's Forza Motorsport. I love both, but I prefer the more arcade style of DxM, even if I wish it had a bit more tuning options, and a wider variety of parts (no reverse joint legs, tank treads etc. is a shame).

I'm amazed how well they turned it round from the initial demo earlier in the year, performance wise. There have been some drops, but it feels so smooth most of the time, and the gyro controls are such a great feature that I don't think I could play a new AC without them.

If I could get a sequel with a wider range of body part types and inner frames, cosmetic customisation akin to Gundam Breaker 3, and an even larger variety of weapons, especially melee stuff, it'd be the perfect game for me.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
I just wished the shooting felt better. Other than that, moving around in my Eva felt great, and I liked the large environments.

Shooting a slow recoil-less stream of low impact bullets wasn't that fun. I felt like I was merely holding down the DPS button.

A lot of gamefeel issues for me I guess, but I wasn't surprised with it had less than 50% positive reviews on open critic. A lot of folks arent interested, and it's not going to do a good job getting them to be so.
I'm interested, but it didn't seem promising enough beyond the missions, which werent very interesting, that I played in the demos.

Those joycons are dope though.

Sincerest

Jan 22, 2018
Daemon X Machina might end up being my favourite game this year, and I played a lot of games that I've enjoyed this past year (Astral Chain, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, What Remains of Edith Finch, Gears 5, FFXII Zodiac Age etc. etc.).

The major caveat here is that the game is designed almost solely for mech nerds. If you're hoping for some well-rounded, highly-polished experience that ticks all the boxes, DXM is definitely not for you. Regardless, it is one of the most interesting games I've played, and here's what it has going for it:

• An in-depth customization system that actually makes a difference to how your mech handles (and looks)
  • A colourful cast of characters that all feel like they're caricatures out of an '80s anime (I mean this in the best way possible)
  • Short story missions (5 - 10 minutes each) with just enough story incentive in between to keep you going
  • A whole lot of side missions, which are often fun remixes of the story missions
  • Incredible multiplayer bosses (which you can also challenge solo, and they're even more challenging)
  • Boss fights feel Monster Hunter-esque in that you grind them for components to create awesome mechs with

A few other minor things:
  • I really do love how eccentric and weird the characters are. Expositions on the nature of missions will slip into monologues about ice-cream.
  • There are so many ways to outfit and colour your mech, I'm constantly "theming" my Arsenal in different ways
  • Different kinds of Guns/Missiles can feel very different from one another, which is awesome as you progress through the game
  • The game is well-paced. Because missions are short and there's constantly little bits of story, things never feel "slow"

DXM may not be well-rounded, big-budget, or the most intensely-polished game, but by god it knows who it's aimed at and it goes out of its way to do things that its target audience would appreciate. If you enjoy '80s-era anime and mechs and customization it's one of the best games of its kind. I prefer it to nearly every other mech game I've played. It's more fun than ZOE, it handles better than Another Century's Episode (which itself feels like a better-handling ZOE), and it's waaaay better on the whole than most Armored Core games.

Literally, the only mech game that I feel outclasses this one is Xenoblade Chronicles X, and that's just an unfair comparison because that game was Nintendo-funded and is among the best, most highly-polished, most ambitious JRPGs in existence.

In your opinion, is out better than Armored Core: For Answer? That's the Apex of mech games for me.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
In your opinion, is out better than Armored Core: For Answer? That's the Apex of mech games for me.

I'm just gonna chime in here and say it's kind of a case of apples and oranges. They're both different enough that they're hard to compare, but if I had to list the things that each do better:

DxM

• Performance is very good, and gyro controls are honestly a game changer for the genre.
  • In game aesthetics are way better. I prefer the NEXTs to Arsenals, but environment design looks a lot better due to the artstyle, they're a bit more dense, and things like explosions just look so pretty.
  • HUD customisation is one of the most in depth I've ever seen in a console game. You can tweak so many things to make it exactly to your standards.
AC4A

• There's a larger amount of customisation options here, especially in terms of leg types. If your favourite part of the games is nerding out over specific parts, making sure your mechs weight is balanced etc. DxM is lacking in that department.
  • NEXT Vs NEXT fights are a lot more fun than Arsenal Vs Arsenal fights.
  • Branching story with multiple endings was really fun.
There are other things which you can't really compare, such as gameplay feel (DxM is more like ZoE2 crossed with AC4A), story quality, as DxM is very anime in that sense, mission quality and variety (I prefer DxMs), but they're the main pros of each.

That is my Answer.
:P

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017

It depends on what you're looking for. In terms of raw customization options, 4A outdoes it. But in terms of controls and the depth of the core gameplay, DxM is probably better. The 1v1 fights in 4A are probably better but the bigger machine bosses are better in DxM.

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017

• Performance is very good, and gyro controls are honestly a game changer for the genre.

This exactly. I'd say at this point, DXM does feel very apples-to-oranges when you put it up next to any Armored Core, and a lot of that has to do with how well the controls work. People say motion controls were a fad—they aren't. They've just become a regular part of games now and are an immense benefit when used in the right game. And DXM makes very, very good use of them. Zipping around in the air whilst locking on to enemies and gunning them down via gyro is great.

Someone earlier in the thread also accurately drew the comparison of Forza Horizon vs. Forza Motorsport. I'm in complete agreement with that, too.

Sincerest

Jan 22, 2018
I'm just gonna chime in here and say it's kind of a case of apples and oranges. They're both different enough that they're hard to compare, but if I had to list the things that each do better:

DxM

• In game aesthetics are way better. I prefer the NEXTs to Arsenals, but environment design looks a lot better due to the artstyle, they're a bit more dense, and things like explosions just look so pretty.
  • HUD customisation is one of the most in depth I've ever seen in a console game. You can tweak so many things to make it exactly to your standards.
AC4A

• There's a larger amount of customisation options here, especially in terms of leg types. If your favourite part of the games is nerding out over specific parts, making sure your mechs weight is balanced etc. DxM is lacking in that department.
  • NEXT Vs NEXT fights are a lot more fun than Arsenal Vs Arsenal fights.
  • Branching story with multiple endings was really fun.
There are other things which you can't really compare, such as gameplay feel (DxM is more like ZoE2 crossed with AC4A), story quality, as DxM is very anime in that sense, mission quality and variety (I prefer DxMs), but they're the main pros of each.

That is my Answer.
:P
Okay, I love the ZoE2 x AC4A description. Thanks for the list of comparisons. The one downer for me is the lack of legs (no tank legs I'm assuming?).

May be silly to ask, but are there beam swords in DxM?

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
FoThe other most noticeable thing in the game was just how wrong reviewers were about controlling your mech in the final version: Almost immediately I noticed that you mech actually moves fast...ridiculously fast, too, provided it had light armaments. Boosting felt good, and staying on-air, afloat and dropping down no longer felt sluggish like it did in the demo. In fact, it feels even better than the mech controls in Xenoblade Chronicles X. Everything is responsive, and aiming feels much better. Add to the fact you can opt for gyro controls just puts icing on an already nice cake.

Wait what. Need to follow this game again.

Sincerest

Jan 22, 2018
It depends on what you're looking for. In terms of raw customization options, 4A outdoes it. But in terms of controls and the depth of the core gameplay, DxM is probably better. The 1v1 fights in 4A are probably better but the bigger machine bosses are better in DxM.
Damn!!! So, 4A controls better in 1V1 fast paced mech fights? Where as DxM is better everywhere else?

Nevertheless, the replies here already sold me on the game. You all seem to really enjoy it. Time for a new purchase this afternoon. Thank you all. I'll see if I can post some impressions as a huge AC aficionado.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Game is wicked. I was hooked on it for quite a while.

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
Damn!!! So, 4A controls better in 1V1 fast paced mech fights? Where as DxM is better everywhere else?

Nevertheless, the replies here already sold me on the game. You all seem to really enjoy it. Time for a new purchase this afternoon. Thank you all. I'll see if I can post some impressions as a huge AC aficionado.

The AI for mech pilots in 4A is better. But the multiplayer for dxM shows a lot of really cool depth and options, particularly since they banned some of the worst parts of the game that were threatening to ruin it.

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, I love the ZoE2 x AC4A description. Thanks for the list of comparisons. The one downer for me is the lack of legs (no tank legs I'm assuming?).

There are energy swords in DXM. The ones I've come across so far look like energy katanas rather than lightsabers. If you dual-wield swords in the game, your mech slashes in an "X" shape.

Also, one of the game's many colourful mercenaries:

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I was bored after 4 hours. Missions are so freakin dull and the story and it's presentation especially is awful.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Reviewers sadly are biased against Mecha games. This is my first one and I actually adored it, the customization, gameplay and artstyle are all great.

I liked it even more than the better received Astral Chain and is sad how media painted Daemon X Machina as a "disappointment" (I would say that if there's a Nintendo published game this year that fits that term better, that is Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 based on what I've heard).

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017

Beam swords are in (I'm currently rocking one lol), along with standard weapons (I have a katana on my shoulder)
Speaking of shoulders, you have a weapon in each hand, a sub weapon on each shoulder, and then a single back/shoulder weapon, for stuff like missile launcher, which will either be on one or both shoulders depending on the equipment itself. I currently have homing rockets son both, but early on I just had a single missile launcher on my left shoulder.

There are no tank, spider, or reverse joint legs. There are a few bulky ones like Sazabi from Gundam, but they're all just standard legs.
Edit: If the demo is still available, you should try that. Other than lacking inverted y axis gyro controls of the full game, and obviously some late game features, it's a great example of what you'll be getting.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I got it like 2 weeks ago and while I haven't played much I am very much enjoying it. The soundtrack especially is really, really good.

The only downer for me so far has been the framerate, which can absolutely tank during big combat sections.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I was having a fun time with the game, but even I will admit that the game just got lost in the bunch of other games I was playing at the time and I haven't been back to it since. I do plan on getting back into it after I had my fill with Pokemon.

Sincerest

Jan 22, 2018
I got it like 2 weeks ago and while I haven't played much I am very much enjoying it. The soundtrack especially is really, really good.

The only downer for me so far has been the framerate, which can absolutely tank during big combat sections.
That's another thing I'm hoping to hear -- the soundtrack being good. For those of you who played 4A, remember these tracks??

Honestly you guys have me hyped for this game (DxM) now.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If I'm remembering right, most content creators unfortunately aren't gonna cover it because Marvelous Japan copyright claims any videos with gameplay of it, which killed what little chance it had of getting more much needed exposure.
I understand that Marvelous Europe convinced the Japanese arm to stop Content ID-ing everything shortly after release. Alas, the damage was already done.

OP
OP
SiG

SiG

Oct 25, 2017

Yes there are. I just managed to snag one in one of the Free Missions.

And speaking of tracks:

Last edited: