• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

A jury in Wisconsin has awarded $450,000 to the father of a boy killed in the 2012 Sandy Hook school shooting after he filed a defamation lawsuit against conspiracy theorist writers who claimed the massacre never happened. A Dane County jury on Tuesday decided the amount James Fetzer must pay Leonard Pozner, whose 6-year-old son Noah was among the 26 victims at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, on Dec. 14, 2012.

Fetzer, a retired University of Minnesota Duluth professor now living in Wisconsin, and Mike Palacek co-wrote a book, "Nobody Died at Sandy Hook" in which they claimed the Sandy Hook shooting never took place but was instead an event staged by the federal government as part of an Obama administration effort to enact tighter gun restrictions. A judge earlier ruled Pozner was defamed by statements in the book that claimed he fabricated copies of his son's death certificate.
Fetzer called the damages amount "absurd" and said he would appeal.

Palacek reached a settlement with Pozner last month, terms of which were not disclosed.

"It causes people to believe that I lied about my son's death, that my son didn't die and that I'm somehow doing that for some other reasons," Pozner said, CBS affiliate WISC-TV reported.

"Mr. Fetzer has the right to believe that Sandy Hook never happened," he said. "He has the right to express his ignorance. This award, however, further illustrates the difference between the right of people like Mr. Fetzer to be wrong and the right of victims like myself and my child to be free from defamation, free from harassment and free from the intentional infliction of terror."

Good. Fuck this guy.

Culex

Oct 29, 2017
Not high enough. Should keep him in jail or a psyche ward until he truly believes it actually happened.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
how much money did the book make?

if more than $450,000, should have been all the money from sales and related stuff

Nov 30, 2017
That's it? These people should be paying millions of dollars for the damage they caused.

The victims were gettting death threats for their kids being massacred like wtf

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
How is that even legal? That's not only defamation, it's inhumane. But what gets me in this case are all the gullible idiots who bought the book in the first place, thinking "yea that's a conspiracy!" Tell that to those who lost their kids to gunfire this day.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not enough. All the revenue generated by the book should revert to the parents, with damages on top. And jail time.

Alex Jones next.

Last edited:

DL Clyde

Oct 25, 2017
It really boggles my mind that people believe Sandy Hook was some massive government conspiracy to the point that they even write books about it.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Good but for people like him I feel worse should happen, maybe jail time. I'm trying to understand how someone could even believe or come up with that conspiracy theory. I went to work that day with tears in my eyes yet there's people who believe this shit?

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I'd say all the profit from that idiot's grift on people's pain + 450k would be fair.
But in the mean time this will have to do.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not enough, honestly. These assholes should be in prison for the torment they've put those parents through.

Omega.X

Oct 28, 2017
The sad thing is the author probably could have avoided all this if he wrote something in very fine print saying the work was satirical/fictional.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Wish for a speedy failed appeal, then after the sentence is finalized, other victims will also sue these fuckers.

They can both go kick rocks.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Good. Piece of shit.

Imagine writing a whole fucking book on something like this.

Imagine being smart enough to have been a professor at a University and falling this far.

domstah

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
ATX
There is a fantastic episode of the "Reply All" podcast that goes over Leonard Pozner's fight against Sandy Hook truthers, and what it has cost him to get the documentaries, episodes of Infowars and other lies and propaganda about his son's death scrubbed from the Internet. Poor dude deserves every penny.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
I am not a violent person but if this had happened to my family and people claimed I was a "crisis actor," to my face, I would not be able to restrain myself. I don't know how they do it.

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
$462k is not enough.

In fact I would also sue the publisher for agreeing to print this garbage and being complacent in this.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
It boggles my mind how much power conspiracy theorists have gained in recent years when they would have been publicly mocked a couple decades ago.