• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
For those not interested in reading my blathering, here are some samples straight off the top, picked more or less at random from the ones I've watched thus far.

This guy stumbled into my recommendation recently and I was pleasantly surprised. Clicked one video, expecting to close it after a minute or two and suddenly found myself absorbed for an entire afternoon and much of an evening.

He does long-form analysis videos on various games and series. He largely focuses on theme and narrative. He does go into gameplay and visuals, but usually only where they relate to said subjects of theme and narrative. These are not reviews in the sense of consumer advice.

His videos have made me retroactively appreciate some games a little more and the effort their designers went to to make them thematically cohesive. Using gameplay to enhance narrative rather than just alternating between the two is something I love seeing in games and he points out many instances of that which I missed. Even when I don't quite agree with his conclusions, they're interesting to hear. Truth be told, he actually makes me a bit jealous. He seems to get a lot more out of many games than I do.

One thing to note is that when I say long-form, I really do mean long. His shortest videos are 20 minutes, many go for double or triple that duration. A few are 2-3 entire hours.

Also, for some reason the relaxed cadence of his delivery reminds me rather pleasantly of old BBC documentaries, the kind that schoolteachers would put on VHS tapes in the 90s.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure he's not an arsehole. In what I've watched thus far he hasn't ranted about immigrants or feminists even once! Isn't that swell?

Last edited:

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah i'll stan for Noah Gervais any time. His in depth dives into entire game series are some of the best content on youtube. His travelogues are pretty entertaining as well.

I don't think i have ever seen such a thorough and fair analysis of the Call of Duty series for example.

Oh and he clearly denounced gamergate back in the day, with no buts or ifs or maybes. I remember the dude being one of the few lonely gaming voices to do so.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
It has been known. But thank you. He is very thorough in his work. I loved his real world Fallout tour.

I would also recommend (i Hope i am spelling them correctly)I Raycevik, Chris Davis and Matthewmitosis as others who do great long format content.

swift-darius

May 10, 2018
Also, for some reason the relaxed cadence of his delivery reminds me rather pleasantly of old BBC documentaries of the kind that schoolteachers would put on VHS tapes in the 90s.
it's because he deliberately goes for a lo-fi, ham radio aesthetic. doesn't really do multiple takes, keeps slip-ups in, and so forth. he really cultivates a cosy, midcentury rougher production vibe that I think is wholly unique and very charming - to say nothing of his writing, which I also find fantastic; his travel material is my personal favourite.

noah's great

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Yup, he's one of the top 3 for sure.

The Homeworld video is one of my favourites, and his recent No Man's Sky NEXT video gave me a whole new appreciation of that game.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
When I FINALLY do my own gaming channel, yall better do this for me too.

Just be nice. :D

Edit-hmmm pretty good video. Nice.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Yea been subbing to him for a couple years now.

Those that want to get ready for BG3 without playing the old games, watch his long form critiques...

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
He's great, I was recently enjoying his real world trips into "Fallout country" a very calming and enjoyable watch. I particularly like that editing is kept to a minimum and that sections where he stumbles speaking are kept in.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, his videos are fantastic. I didn't realize he'd finally put up a Black Ops 3 video; the video he did on the older Call of Duty games was great and I've been curious about how he would examine Blops 3.

The Homefront video really nailed how weird the two games are together, as well as the secret success of Homefront: The Revolution. The Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak video was also very good at pinning down what makes that game feel like Homeworld despite not being set in space.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Been following him for years, but his life style is also inspirational, the man takes his life on the road and I respect him so much for it

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
It has been known. But thank you. He is very thorough in his work. I loved his real world Fallout tour.

I would also recommend (i Hope i am spelling them correctly)I Raycevik, Chris Davis and Matthewmitosis as others who do great long format content.
Yea been subbing to him for a couple years now.

Those that want to get ready for BG3 without playing the old games, watch his long form critiques...
Chris Davis is also doing a Isometric RPG retrospective series that is well worth watching.

I would also recommend Whitelight, NeverKnowsBest and The Playing Field for more longform stuff.

Deleted member 21

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
One of the best YouTubers out there, period

I love to hear about his perspective on all kinds of games

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Chris Davis is also doing a Isometric RPG retrospective series that is well worth watching.

I would also recommend Whitelight, NeverKnowsBest and The Playing Field for more longform stuff.

Yep. I am making my way through them. Having purchased Fallout 1 and 2, BG 1 and 2 (EEs) as well IWD 1 and 2 but having zero motivation to play them, I really loved him giving us the deep dive. I still hope to play Planescape and so I will hold off from that one. It is a good thing that he does cross-pollinate when it comes to crucial spoilers.

Another channel does good deep dives is "GVMERS" but theirs is more holistic encapsulating the birth, rise and fall of a franchises.

Finally, I would also recommend, "Hbomberguy" but his content encapsulates much more than games and he is well known in this forum as one of his videos make rounds quite frequently, "Woke Brands".

Oct 28, 2017
Australia
Noah has just released a wonderful comparative study of Horizon Zero Dawn and Days Gone which is great, even having played neither of those games. He really is wonderfully interesting and thoughtful in his critiques.

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Love this man, love his content, always a treat to go through the backlog in a kind of comforting, nostalgic sort of way

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
He also released a wonderful video on the American McGee's Alice games. It got me interested enough in them to finally play after being i my backlog for a while.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
Oh, and I'm pretty sure he's not an arsehole. In what I've watched thus far he hasn't ranted about immigrants or feminists even once! Isn't that swell?
In fact, quite the opposite as the following videos will attest to!

The latter of which was my introduction to him. That got enough profile for the Postal devs to passive-aggressively whine about him on Twitter.

Bastables

Dec 3, 2017
He also released a wonderful video on the American McGee's Alice games. It got me interested enough in them to finally play after being i my backlog for a while.

Yeah!

At the close of the video I immediately purchased for $0 the first alice game for PS3 on PSN (it's apparently abandoned?) and then went and brought the sequal on origin for pc, noting oddley the first game is not available for purchase on origin or steam.

Very enamoured with his reading that the games come off best as a feminine redo of the Quake type fps that Mcgee used to design for and the need for a sequal kinda undercuts the strengths of the first game in the second even though the latter is a better shooter and platformer.

Spamlynguist

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah!

At the close of the video I immediately purchased for $0 the first alice game for PS3 on PSN (it's apparently abandoned?) and then went and brought the sequal on origin for pc, noting oddley the first game is not available for purchase on origin or steam.

Very enamoured with his reading that the games come off best as a feminine redo of the Quake type fps that Mcgee used to design for and the need for a sequal kinda undercuts the strengths of the first game in the second even though the latter is a better shooter and platformer.
Oh dang, it is free indeed! I didn't know that, thanks!

Elliott

Oct 25, 2017
I can listen to this man stumble over lines all day. His Dead Space series retrospective was fantastic.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I literally have only not watched him because so many of his videos cover games I would like to play but haven't yet. Like I haven't played any fallout for example.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah!

this is weird. On xbox it is free...but as DLC for Madness Returns.

Nov 15, 2017
I wish he would redub some of his earlier videos but I'll take this lowfi approach over people churning them out anyday.

Big fan. I was tempted to post before (this is how I found out I needed to message a certain amount before I could - no rush) I'm glad someone did.

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yep yep yep. His StarCraft and fallout videos still remain some of my favourite videogame commentary pieces ever.

If you haven't watched his stuff, make yourself a cup of tea and just relax and enjoy.

Oct 25, 2017
This guy sends me to sleep.

In like, the best possible way. Listening to Noah's Analyses are like gaming bedtime stories, he has the perfect voice to drift off to. :)

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
He really is fantastic,no bullshit,no ego.....just thoughtful analysis.
So glad to see him pick up a PS4......hope he plays Death Stranding,that should be a good one,lol.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
his videos are very well written.

but i think they're a bit monotone, i find them kind of hard to listen to. or maybe they are too long, cant exactly put my finger on it.

maybe its just me

Bastables

Dec 3, 2017
I literally have only not watched him because so many of his videos cover games I would like to play but haven't yet. Like I haven't played any fallout for example.

Watch them, his perspective is such that he allowed me to like then love fallout 4 on its own merits. Really nice perspective. And he'll his videos on road tripping the real parts of the USA that either represented or just in the fallout games is a glorious love letter to the game and little town USA.

Jakke_Koala

Sep 28, 2018
Yeah, he's my favorite youtuber. His videos are really in depth and he looks and sounds like a really nice guy.

Raycevik, Chris Davis and Joseph anderson are also really good with in depth gaming videos