• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

This is a video retrospective and critique about the five games of the Dark Forces / Jedi Knight series, released from 1995-2003. It looks at them as part of the broader legacy of the now-defunct Legends timeline, trying to hold on to what's meaningful about them in a time when Star Wars is so much more polished than it used to be. Spoilers throughout.

___TABLE OF CONTENTS___

Intro-- 00:00
Star Wars: Dark Forces-- 00:42
Star Wars: Dark Forces: Jedi Knight-- 18:47
Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith-- 40:26
Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast-- 58:03
Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy-- 1:22:30

I still remember hanging around the mission complete screen in the first game to take in the amazing model of the Moldy Crow. What a game!
pR85Qfy.png

robot

Oct 27, 2017
Oh heck yes. This is a great series for his treatment since it changes so drastically gameplay-wise but stays in the same broad FPS genre and always maintains the goal of offering an exciting adventure in the Star Wars setting.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Dark Forces will always hold a special place in my heart. It was one of the first games we got for our shiny new family PC, and up until point I had only ever played 2D stuff on consoles. It felt like playing an actual Star Wars movie, it blew my damn mind.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Love Jedi Knight/MOTS and Outcast. Still have super fond memories of all those games, using cheat codes to change (the pointy) lightsaber colors and whatnot. Outcasts' online was crazy good and was my first real foray into online gaming - all those clan tournaments on the Bespin platform...it was cool too because you didn't even have to fight or anything if you didn't want to. A lot of days it was basically just a big 3D chatroom where you could meet and chat with all sorts of people. *wistful sigh*

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Well damn I know what imma be doing tonight. Love Noah's content. It's funny because just a month or two ago I watched all the cutscenes from this series and genuinely wondered why this was a huge deal for SW fans so it'll be good to get some context and analysis.

Last edited:

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I played an insane number of hours of Jedi Knight online as a kid. Shit was amazing. All the skin packs, and maps, and then the glow saber... everything was magic back then.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I played an insane number of hours of Jedi Knight online as a kid. Shit was amazing. All the skin packs, and maps, and then the glow saber... everything was magic back then.

Same, was the first game that I got heavily into modding. Also one of the first games I played that used "3d acceleration". I remember being stunned seeing how much crisper textures looked after I got a 3dfx card.

I played so many custom maps, and this was at a time where full 3d shooters still felt relatively new so literally any map felt like being incredibly immersed in the SW universe.

The map design conventions of Quake and Doom levels were very much alive in Jedi Knight too, so many hidden nooks and crannies to discover. Exploration was so much fun as a result. I spent an inordinate amount of time just on the Nar Shaddaa spaceport mp map, which had a ton of secret passages. I had a ridiculous amount of fun just camping on this elevated platform that overlooked the main thoroughfare of the map firing off concussion rifle rounds at anyone below.

If there was ever a game I wish got the AAA remake treatment it'd be DF II.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Sad but understandable that that the scope of the video completely leaves out the multiplayer portion. Was a major part of the Jedi Knight experience to me and they put a lot of effort into it. JK1 was one of the first games I ever played online using a Microsoft multiplayer service with browser lobbies. JK1/Mysteries of the Sith had several interesting multiplayer maps with unique assets nowhere to be seen in the single player portion, including set pieces based on the films.

Jedi Outcast also feels like its visuals have aged particularly well and scales beautifully to HD resolutions much like Metroid Prime does. The one thing that sticks out is the character self-shadows you can see during the cutscenes that look really sharp and angular in HD. The technology is kind of fascinating since this was before the modern implementation of dynamic shadow maps, and it's not something I remember seeing in Quake 3 so it must have been something added later to the idtech iteration Raven used.

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
Such a special series. My entry into the series was Jedi Knight and I remember it being such an amazing experience. It was my earliest memory of getting really deep into a PC game and it was incomparable to anything out there on the Playstation or N64. Definitely one of the games that solidified me as a PC gamer. And truly nothing could capture the Star Wars experience like it did.

Noah's video is great. In retrospect, there definitely is a lot of jank in Jedi Knight, and I"m sure time has not been so kind to it. But I really also like his closing sentiment in regards to star wars fans.

toadkarter

Oct 2, 2020
These games are legitimately a huge amount of fun, and some great references in there to both the films and the Expanded Universe. Probably my fave Star Wars games outside of Knights of the Old Republic.

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland
i wish they made a modern port of dark forces and jedi knight.

The Force Engine ·

www.moddb.com

Jedi Knight Remastered mod

Hello Welcome to the page! This mod seeks to create an installer for Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II JKGFXMOD or OpenJKDF2, the Jedi Knight Neural Upscale Texture Pack and the Enhancement Mod for JkGfxMod. The mods are meant to be used all to together...
www.moddb.com

Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith Remastered mod

Welcome to Star Wars Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith Remastered 2.0! This installation file will install the JKGFXMOD the Mysteries of the Sith Neural Upscale Texture Pack, and the Enhancement Mod for JkGfxMod (MotS Edition) 0.50 all together in a...

The Force Engine is not released yet, unfortunately, but I recently played through the two remastered mods and they work really well.
AF6Olkb.jpg