• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
One thing I was hoping to see at the Sony show was some news about VR. Would've been neat to see some next gen titles made exclusively for that format. But there was nothing. Even with the ending cavalcade of products (the remote, headphones, eye), no sign of a PSVR 2.

Is it safe to say VR won't be a big presence next generation?

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It needs its own event otherwise people will be moaning and groaning about it taking time away from not-VR games.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
...Sony already said there would be no PSVR2 at launch. It's likely 2022 or 2023 at most and with VR technology ever changing I doubt they've even finalized what will be in it to show anything.

Edit: On the topic of VR, Imran made quite a good point on twitter.

PSVR actually better matches the style of the PS5 then it does either the PS4 or Pro.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I hope they give us a bit more info about the new camera and its functionality with the old PSVR.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
The psvr1 is BC right? So Sony will have a solution at launch. Microsoft is doing all of their VR development on PC atm but I have no doubt they will bring it to console at some point. But yes, it's a small market atm but AR/VR is the future of computing so it will continue to grow.

NightHamAlum

Apr 20, 2020
Washington, D.C.
Absolutely not. The focus of this presentation was PS5 on it's own.

PSVR will happen down the line. It's following the PS4 -> PSVR playbook.

EDIT: PS5 will also be backwards compatible with PS4 PSVR so I suspect more games will be built in mind with PS4 Pro PSVR in mind for the duration.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One thing I was hoping to see at the Sony show was some news about VR. Would've been neat to see some next gen titles made exclusively for that format. But there was nothing. Even with the ending cavalcade of products (the remote, headphones, eye), no sign of a PSVR 2.

My god....... it's launching later. So it's getting announced later.

PS5 and its peripherals are launching this year. So they announced it today.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i thought it was more or less confirmed we'll be rocking psvr 1 on ps5 for a year or three

assuming psvr2 will clock in at ~$500 do you really want that added sticker shock right now?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
The psvr1 is BC right? So Sony will have a solution at launch. Microsoft is doing all of their VR development on PC atm but I have no doubt they will bring it to console at some point. But yes, it's a small market atm but AR/VR is the future of computing so it will continue to grow.

I'm pretty sure they said PSVR1 will work on the PS5.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I think PSVR2 will be a big deal.
PSVR is supposedly backwards compatible, so it's going to be a thing.
As it should be.
It's incredible.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I think it will get a seperate spotlight at some point. Two notable games that'll probably have VR, RE8 and Astro, didn't mention a peep about it today.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
It literally takes like 10 seconds of critical thinking before making this thread to understand why the PS VR wasn't on display today

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
PSVR 2 will get it's own event (probably in a few years), be too expensive launching with a console.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We're not seeing PSVR2 for at least a year after the PS5 launches, maybe longer. There is no way Sony would launch a brand new console with two versions as well as a new VR headset.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The goalposts for VR are regularly and consistently moved. Even if Sony shows no VR enthusiasm today, the probably will do so tomorrow.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
There is a USB C port in front. It is VR ready.
JEbbPEV.jpg

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
You really think showing VR games today would be a good idea? lol

PSVR 2 will probably have an event.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
tells me that VR isn't a priority and not worthy of the Prime Time showcase event...Today was for the heavy hitters...

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
PSVR is so important that its going to get its own announcement. Also people can easily get confused if you give them too much information in 1 announcement. I wouldn't expect anything on PSVR this year, maybe next year.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't expecting it to be a focus at all, but I was surprised it wasn't teased with Gran Turismo 7

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
it will be the same as last time. Two years from now, when the console sells much better they will unveil PS VR2. Next year, they will show PS5 Pro
But if PSVR1 is back/compat, why not show some games that can use it?
they wanted the message to be loud and clear. VR would have just made things messier than needed

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

You are not gonna delute a new console presentation by ALSO pushing for VR. This will be saved for a few years in for sure. They have been rumored to be working on PSVR2 for a while. relax.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
But if PSVR1 is back/compat, why not show some games that can use it?

Because they wanted to focus on all new PS5 stuff. Maybe there was no VR software ready to show, or maybe they just wanted an unmuddled message for their new console. You know if they'd showed PSVR at all some nitwits would've probably been like "Hurr durr wait does this mean it's a VR system????/?"

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
There is no good way they can launch a new system and a new psvr successfully to their audience/market simultaneously. I dont think anyone paying attention really expected any mention of VR today. Or even for Sony to show their full hand today. New PSVR2 will be at least a year out from launch is my guess.

You're going to need a camera to use psvr 1. I don't know why you'd think that would change. It's literally fundamental to how psvr1 works.

Think you misread the question/comment. Yeah you need a camera for PSVR, but we already have a camera. I too wonder if we will need to buy this new camera or not to use PSVR1 on PS5. If so that is poor "backwards compatibility" for PSVR owners. Hopefully PS5 just uses the same camera port as PS4 though.

Regardless I was very surprised to see a camera shown this early and that there is one at all. I hope PSVR2 doesnt use cameras, and outside of PSVR1, the camera has been pretty useless.

Last edited:

joshcam19

Nov 11, 2017
It would not surprise me one bit of RE8 has VR capability. I also believe Sony will work on PSVR2. They have a huge PSVR game releasing this month in Iron Man, it feels they are still fully behind the VR thing.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
Sony believes in VR. PSVR2 is already hinted at. This just wasn't the time for it, because PSVR2 isn't coming this year.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
I mean...they showed a camera, which in current gen sold almost no units outside of PSVR buyers.

I'm sure it's coming.

Mokujin

Oct 31, 2017
Sony is going to try to push it hard again for sure, the big problem will be on the software side as killer apps will be needed to create a big enough niche that can gather developer interest.