• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Wrap Article

"No Time to Die" director Cary Joji Fukunaga has been accused of inappropriate sexual advances by at least three young actresses.
In a series of online posts last week, actress Rachelle Vinberg (HBO's "Betty") last week accused Fukunaga of taking advantage of their two-decade age difference, claiming he began pressuring her into a romantic relationship just after she had turned 18. She said they became "completely fully intimate" several years later, before he broke it off when she was 21.

The post enraged 23-year-old skater and actress Vinberg, who took a screenshot of Fukunaga's post and responded, "It pisses me off cause he literally doesn't care about women. He only traumatizes them. I've spoken to many girls. F— you Cary."

Vinberg then shared a selfie she took with Fukunaga and accused him of "grooming" vulnerable teenage women for sexual encounters — though she provided no direct evidence that he had engaged in any criminal behavior. "I spent many years scared of him," she wrote. "Mans is a groomer and has been doin this s— for years. Beware women."

It's a lengthy article with accounts from several women that reveals Cary to be a gigantic creep and POS. It's also not the first time he's been called out.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
yeah I saw that last week. I read the post from the twins. Dude's a shit.

Kastanjemanden

alt account
Banned
Jan 23, 2022
guess it's not a coincidence he looks a little like Bryan singer

All creeps be lookin a certain way

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
I think the problem isn't that hollywood is abnormal, its that this kind of disgusting behavior is horrifyingly normal across industries, but since it involved celebrities at least you find out about it sometimes when women speak up.

Hey by the way, I remember the thread back when the thing about him firing the actress over trying to force her to do nudity came out, and there was a lot of gross posting from reset era hemming and hawing over whether the director was in the wrong or not, and some outright defense, when he was obviously a fucking creep. And look at that, he turns out to be a fucking creep.

Last edited:

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
guess it's not a coincidence he looks a little like Bryan singer

All creeps be lookin a certain way

What does a creep look like? Not putting you on the spot just that's very dangerous thinking.

It's like saying all pedophiles are fat and bald

Which allows people who don't fit that description to fly under the radar.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
God damnit, he was one of my favorite directors. True Detective season 1 is absolutely legendary. But fuck this clown into the sun for being just another Hollywood piece of shit abusing young women.

Kastanjemanden

alt account
Banned
Jan 23, 2022
User Banned (1 Month): Dismissive commentary, Trolling in a sensitive thread, recent ban for similar behavior.
What does a creep look like? Not putting you on the spot just that's very dangerous thinking.

It's like saying all pedophiles are fat and bald

Which allows people who don't fit that description to fly under the radar.

Sorry to offend the creepy men in Hollywood by saying they looked alike.

My bad. I'll remember their feelings.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Goddamn. I could have sworn this was already known but still, it's fucking horrifying

Yeah it's been known a while, and not only is he a fucking creep, but I've read on deuxmoi that he blatantly takes all the credit for writers ideas too.

Lately I've been thinking about True Detective season 2, and how we all laughed at Pizzolato's writing, but do you all remember that Hollywood director character who appeared in the narrative, and how we all thought it was Pizzolato being petty by painting Fukunaga in a bad light? Turns out Pizzolato was trying to warn us. (even though he later denied the character was a reference to Fukunaga, because of course he would)

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Is this the same guy involved with the actress that said he tried to pressure her into doing a nude scene?

Apr 5, 2022
User Banned (1 Month): Inappropriate rhetoric, concern trolling and derailing a sensitive thread over a series of posts
Hannah and Caitlin Loesch's story really muddies the waters here. I don't think there's anything particularly "grooming" about three adults not having sex and then going their separate ways after deciding they want something else out of the relationship.

The conflation of these narratives confuses me a lot, honestly.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Hannah and Caitlin Loesch's story really muddies the waters here. I don't think there's anything particularly "grooming" about three adults not having sex and then going their separate ways after deciding they want something else out of the relationship.

The creepy gross fetishization of twins is actually very in line with everything else about this guy.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
"One thing that was really weird about him was he would tell me to pretend that I was his cousin or niece or sister in front of other people like he'd want me to lie about who I was,"

Eesh, he feels comfortable grooming/trying to fuck but self aware to know its creepy enough that he doesn't want it to fuck with his image.

Dude gotta go.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness

Meanwhile, twin actresses Hannah and Cailin Loesch (Netflix's "Maniac") said they endured the director's simultaneous romantic pursuit of both of them, with requests for a "threesome" and an encounter last year in his New York City penthouse during which they said "he grabbed [Cailin] and pulled her on top of him, Hannah still right there" — which left Cailin "terrified." (After the twins refused to have sex with him, they say the director "invited us both to 'drop acid' and do molly at his house upstate that weekend.")

Just because Fukunaga didn't succeed doesn't mean it wasn't grooming. Also, grooming isn't necessarily about age, although for obvious reasons we hear about underage grooming the most. Basically, grooming is a predatory behavior that's about manipulating someone over time to get something (sex, money, a specific behavior, etc.) What happened with Hannah and Cailin Loesch really sounds like grooming, especially when you take into account all the other reported cases. It was very much predatory.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
The guy clearly has an incest kink/fantasy. It's not one I share, but I don't think there's *inherently* anything wrong with it, any more than a more "typical" kink.

I have a twin sister, I have dealt with this kind of harassment. Being a twin automatically makes you more of a sexual object to gross fucking guys and it is extremely frustrating and disheartening to see shit posts like this saying its no worse than any other kink.

We are fucking people not a kink.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017

Way to miss the point. Which is that by suggesting that there's a certain "look" for sexual predators, you're a) including your attacks on men who share that look but who are NOT predators, and b) neglecting or handwaving predators who do not share that specific look.

It's garbage and a form of body shaming, so don't do this.

The guy clearly has an incest kink/fantasy. It's not one I share, but I don't think there's *inherently* anything wrong with it, any more than a more "typical" kink.
Are you seriously conflating the sexual harassment of young women with a power imbalance with kinks? Are you fucking for real right now?

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020

Because as a director he was essentially their boss and a gatekeeper into the industry they work in. If a guy high up at Google with connections in the tech industry kept contacting two young employees asking for a threesome, it's fairly obvious what the implications are. I feel like people forget that, yes it's Hollywood, yes it's celebs, but it's also a work environment where there are often high level people and young people trying to advance their careers.

Apr 5, 2022
Just because Fukunaga didn't succeed doesn't mean it wasn't grooming. Also, grooming isn't necessarily about age, although for obvious reasons we hear about underage grooming the most. Basically, grooming is a predatory behavior that's about manipulating someone over time to get something (sex, money, a specific behavior, etc.) What happened with Hannah and Cailin Loesch really sounds like grooming, especially when you take into account all the other reported cases. It was very much predatory.
I'm trying to choose my words carefully here, but grooming in a sexual context specifically refers to getting close to a child to have sex with them when they are an adult. You can argue that inviting someone over to want to have sex with them is manipulation, I suppose, but I don't read it as predatory in the same way as grooming a child.

EDIT: And I do think it's especially important to be clear about this word while it's being weaponized by right-wing politicians against LGBT+ people.

I have a twin sister, I have dealt with this kind of harassment. Being a twin automatically makes you more of a sexual object to gross fucking guys and it is extremely frustrating and disheartening to see shit posts like this saying its no worse than any other kink.

We are fucking people not a kink.
I'm sorry that my post did not take this into account. Of course it is dehumanizing to be treated solely as a sex object. I don't know that we can confidently say that's all that went on here, particularly as the relationship was hot and cold for three years.

Are you seriously conflating the sexual harassment of young women with a power imbalance with kinks? Are you fucking for real right now?
Where is the power imbalance? He had finished directing them in the show they met on, and Loesch clearly says one of them wanted to be in a relationship with him. Yes, he's a director and they're actresses, but Loesch outright says they weren't fired from anything or made to do anything against their will.

Last edited:

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Where is the power imbalance? He had finished directing them in the show they met on, and Loesch clearly says one of them wanted to be in a relationship with him. Yes, he's a director and they're actresses, but Loesch outright says they weren't fired from anything or made to do anything against their will.

He's a 44 year old established director. They are young, relatively inexperienced actors barely out of their teens. Whom he at one point were in charge of. There's still an inherent power imbalance, even if no coercing explicitly took place.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry that my post did not take this into account. Of course it is dehumanizing to be treated solely as a sex object. I don't know that we can confidently say that's all that went on here, particularly as the relationship was hot and cold for three years.

His interest in them was solely based on them being twins. The two say in their own post that they were kind of hoping one of them would end up dating him, or they could be 3 platonic friends. The guy repeatedly pushed and pushed for a threesome despite their being no clear interest in it from the twins, because he was not interested in being with only one of them, he was fetishizing twins as existing for his own sexual fantasy.

Why are you going to bad so hard to try and defend this one specific point against a guy whose obviously shit?

Oct 26, 2017

CompleteUnhappyDromedary-max-1mb.gif

Apr 5, 2022
His interest in them was solely based on them being twins. The two say in their own post that they were kind of hoping one of them would end up dating him, or they could be 3 platonic friends. The guy repeatedly pushed and pushed for a threesome despite their being no clear interest in it from the twins, because he was not interested in being with only one of them, he was fetishizing twins as existing for his own sexual fantasy.

Why are you going to bad so hard to try and defend this one specific point against a guy whose obviously shit?
Because I think there should be clear separations between narratives of "grooming" and "was bad at a (potential) relationship." The latter happens to adults all the time, and conflating it with the former is a dangerous thing to do while the word is being used by right-wing MAGA-heads to attack gay people.

I think narrative clarity is very important.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Because I think there should be clear separations between narratives of "grooming" and "was bad at a (potential) relationship." The latter happens to adults all the time, and conflating it with the former is a dangerous thing to do while the word is being used by right-wing MAGA-heads to attack gay people.

I think narrative clarity is very important.

Good thing there isn't any distinction here anyway and his whole relationship with the twins is another example of the exact same problematic shit then right.

Apr 5, 2022
The reply to the Tweet above your post calls him "Humbert Humbert" for this. Yes, I do think there's a clear distinction, and it's important that we make it. Things can be gross without being the same thing, or on the same level of severity.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
The reply to the Tweet above your post calls him "Humbert Humbert" for this. Yes, I do think there's a clear distinction, and it's important that we make it. Things can be gross without being the same thing, or on the same level of severity.

Its just so bold to keep telling women they are wrong to think this guys behavior was gross or bad, to keep telling a twin its actually perfectly normal kink and okay to be into a girl only because you are hoping for a threesome with her twin sister.

His behavior here is absolutely emblematic of his abusive behavior elsewhere and pretending it isn't is pretty harmful I think. The way he views twins as objects is absolutely tied into his treatment of women elsewhere, the way he seeks a relationship with young actresses half his age that he has a clear power over in the industry is obviously tied into his treatment of women elsewhere.

Apr 5, 2022
Its just so bold to keep telling women they are wrong to think this guys behavior was gross or bad, to keep telling a twin its actually perfectly normal kink and okay to be into a girl only because you are hoping for a threesome with her twin sister.

His behavior here is absolutely emblematic of his abusive behavior elsewhere and pretending it isn't is pretty harmful I think. The way he views twins as objects is absolutely tied into his treatment of women elsewhere, the way he seeks a relationship with young actresses half his age that he has a clear power over in the industry is obviously tied into his treatment of women elsewhere.
You or I can find something gross/bad without it being pedophilia, grooming, or abuse. I don't think this particular story is emblematic of any of those.

EDIT: But of course this is my personal read on the situation and is more about the use of particular language than anything else.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Because as a director he was essentially their boss and a gatekeeper into the industry they work in

I know this is a bit off topic; but a director isnt 'the boss' of the cast. Usually, cast and crew get paid by the production company, so its basically the 'producers' calling the shots (hence guys like Weinstein being a famous example who abused his position and status). That said, a director usually does have authority on how the script should be executed by the cast and certain directors become famous themselves; opening up for all kind of nasty behavior.