• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Sold Out and Metronomik are delighted to announce that No Straight Roads is welcoming in the holiday season with a free 'Christmas Edition' title update, introducing a sackful of holiday-themed fun to the rockin' action-adventure.

Available in early December at no additional cost to all new and existing No Straight Roads players on the PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system, the Xbox One family of devices, including Xbox One X, and PC via the Epic Games Store, the 'Christmas Edition' update remixes the game with brand new Christmas music, decorations, outfits and more to celebrate the holidays.

Not content with simply giving me Jet Set Radio and PaRappa vibes, my GOTY gets even better by channeling Christmas NiGHTS. I was a Switch player but this just gives me the incentive to double dip on the PS4 version.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
Did something change about the gameplay?
The consensus around release seemed to be that the game looks and sounds really nice, but the story and the gameplay were lacking.
Like people expected more rhthm based gameplay in a game about music.

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
The consensus around release seemed to be that the game looks and sounds really nice, but the story and the gameplay were lacking.

I never had a problem with the story, the ending is maybe a little fast-paced but overall it's just a fun romp with some wacky boss characters that are parodies of the music industry but all have hidden depth if you look into their backstories.

The gameplay is certainly a little janky IMO but for me it was one of those situations where the whole is more than the sum of its parts. PaRappa is one of my favorite games of all time but I'd never recommend it to anyone because I think the braindead Simon Says gameplay is remotely interesting, I'd recommend it because it's just an amazing experience in general, and that's how I'd describe NSR. The combat is serviceable but it's worth playing to see everything else come together.

That being said, the gameplay is definitely heavily rhythm based, particularly once you unlock the harder difficulties for each boss fight. I think the misconception is because on normal the bosses don't give you too many attacks to parry so you can play it pretty hack 'n slash-y, but once you start trying the tougher fights there's a much larger focus on hitting the attack button on the beat to send back purple projectiles.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
I felt like this game had a lot of heart and a lot of jank in equal measures. If I had the PS4 version I'd jump back in because despite the game's problems, it's still really special.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
I never had a problem with the story, the ending is maybe a little fast-paced but overall it's just a fun romp with some wacky boss characters that are parodies of the music industry but all have hidden depth if you look into their backstories.

The gameplay is certainly a little janky IMO but for me it was one of those situations where the whole is more than the sum of its parts. PaRappa is one of my favorite games of all time but I'd never recommend it to anyone because I think the braindead Simon Says gameplay is remotely interesting, I'd recommend it because it's just an amazing experience in general, and that's how I'd describe NSR. The combat is serviceable but it's worth playing to see everything else come together.

That being said, the gameplay is definitely heavily rhythm based, particularly once you unlock the harder difficulties for each boss fight. I think the misconception is because on normal the bosses don't give you too many attacks to parry so you can play it pretty hack 'n slash-y, but once you start trying the tougher fights there's a much larger focus on hitting the attack button on the beat to send back purple projectiles.
I felt like this game had a lot of heart and a lot of jank in equal measures. If I had the PS4 version I'd jump back in because despite the game's problems, it's still really special.
I mean it always looked interesting to me and I do play my fair share of japanese games that are pretty janky themselves.
Maybe this game attracted a different group of reviewers because it wasn't from japan.
I've been keeping my eye on it for some time so I guess I'll still pick it up down the line.
So you can't play these harder difficulties form the start?

BackwardCap

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
More so than just having this new update, I'm excited to know that they're committed to continue supporting the game in such a big way post launch. I was prepared to wait for a sequel before seeing any new content. Can't wait to give it a try.

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it always looked interesting to me and I do play my fair share of japanese games that are pretty janky themselves.
Maybe this game attracted a different group of reviewers because it wasn't from japan.
I've been keeping my eye on it for some time so I guess I'll still pick it up down the line.
So you can't play these harder difficulties form the start?

Yeah, you fight every boss on Normal, and then after beating them you unlock Hard, Crazy, Parry, and Perfect Parry difficulties. Hard and Crazy add more attacks and generally make everything more challenging, Parry makes it so you can only damage the boss by parrying their attacks, and Perfect Parry is the same except you die if you get hit even once.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
I never uninstalled the game and I've been meaning to find an excuse to go back and play it again, so this is great. Some oof my friends are annoyed cause VS Sayu is literally in my daily playlist rotation (like 5 different versions, lol).

The christmas version with the addition of some of the removed vocals is still a bop, too.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't expect them to update the game with any kind of new content. I'll check this out. I enjoyed the base game enough.

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly didn't expect any new content so this is amazing news. No Straight Roads is one of my favorite games this year and I LOVE this.

Edit: And there's MERCH now!?

The DJ Subatomic Supernova x Neon J shirt made me laugh, they know exactly what the fanbase wants. I think at least 50% of the NSR fanart I've seen on Twitter has been shipping those two.

This shirt do be kinda clean tho:

1de39e4f20488ad15be179c9da728654_unisexTshirt_flat-front_280x420.png

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
Certainly was my biggest disappointment of the year. Rhythm in regards to the gameplay barely even matters for anyone except the enemies attacking you, and the D.K. West side battles were over-the-top difficult in a "there's no way we could have actually playtested this" way. The story was way too cheesy and predictable, the main character was annoying as hell, and the hub-worlds added literally nothing to the game...

I was so very looking forward to it before it came out. Wish it made a better impression on me because I would absolutely love more games with a Malaysian studio behind them (I'm still in my honeymoon phase with the country after vacationing in Kuala Lumpur 2 years ago)...

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Certainly was my biggest disappointment of the year. Rhythm in regards to the gameplay barely even matters for anyone except the enemies attacking you, and the D.K. West side battles were over-the-top difficult in a "there's no way we could have actually playtested this" way. The story was way too cheesy and predictable, the main character was annoying as hell, and the hub-worlds added literally nothing to the game...

I was so very looking forward to it before it came out. Wish it made a better impression on me because I would absolutely love more games with a Malaysian studio behind them (I'm still in my honeymoon phase with the country after vacationing in Kuala Lumpur 2 years ago)...

Did you try the fights on the harder difficulties? DJSS is a good example of how much more rhythm matters on replays. On Normal I don't think you can even parry his planet attacks which made the fight less engaging to me, whereas on Crazy you can blast through the first three phases in a minute if you parry everything with proper timing.

DK West I agree with though, those were unnecessarily hard and I barely scraped through them even while playing in co-op. That said, I heard they released a patch that added health pickups to those battles to make them more manageable, so that may have solved the problem.