• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Also, if you care deeply about choice, why doesn't the content owner's choice of which partners to do business with factor into your equation? If they took a big check for exclusivity, why don't they get to choose to do so? So that you can have the opportunity to buy the game on Steam?

Because their choice takes away user choice, for many reasons that have been repeated since the EGL was announced. That's not something worthy of applause or respect.

Deleted member 24118

User requested account closure
Oct 29, 2017
The whole "It's the same game" rebuttal always cracks me up, because despise the attempted smugness is so fundamentally idiotic when you realize we are interacting with different services of different quality.

"Here's two slices of the same cake. Don't you want both? It's the same cake!"
Of course, one slice is lying on a pretty plate, the other on the ground with a dog turd as companion.
And someone is inquiring you on why you don't find both equally tasty.

Pretty much. I don't quite grasp how it's so hard for people to understand.

Maybe Playstation and Xbox have reached a level of parity in most respects, and the only real differences between them are the games they have? And so many people here assume this carries over to the PC launchers and figure that they're pretty much the same thing? I don't know enough about consoles to know if this is the case, though. More likely they know and ignore it.

Oct 25, 2017
I have no problem with the "no steam no buy" mentality. That is consumer choice.
What I have a problem with, is gatekeepers who don't want to allow other competitors into the market and who ridicule consumers for wanting a different storefront.
The reason that the Steam fanboys become so aggressive is because they are afraid that Steam's position in the market will become less dominant and with it, all the time and money they've invested into Steam is at risk of becoming less valuable than it once was.
This is pretty much what it all comes down to. People have built up a large Steam library and have all their friends on there (though Discord's already taken over as the best place to chat). They don't want to have their game libraries scattered across different launchers. Of course, they don't care that you know, maybe some other companies would like to run a storefront and make $$$?

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The underlying hardware is different ?

Sure but in terms of choice is the same? "I want to play Halo on a PS4" "I want to play Hades on Steam", in both cases you can't.

Yeah Epic Store doesn't cost money like an Xbox, but the lack of choice is the same, and when I say Steam, you can change it for GOG or GMG and whatever online store.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
No because I wouldn't use two copies at once. Same design philosophy behind Steam's Family Sharing (gog games are installed on my computer and my gf's and we don't play two copies of the same game at once)

But that's just your own private "policy" no-one would know if you played at the same time.

OP
OP
GhostTrick

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
This is pretty much what it all comes down to. People have built up a large Steam library and have all their friends on there (for now, Discord's already taken over as the place to chat). They don't want to have their game libraries scattered across different launchers. Of course, they don't care that you know, maybe some other companies would like to run a storefront and make $$$?

They can run a storefront though and still not force people into a bad launcher.
Or just not payout artificial exclusivities. I mean, if they do, don't go telling me it's competition, that's it's needed and that it's a good thing.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
The problem with your exemple is that broadcasts have a schedule. It'd be impossible for them to broadcast everything.

They still pay for the exclusive rights and they could always create new channels if they chose. Plus there is that premium channel example where you can play everything through on demand. Could it be possible that the fact that you could get nearly every single piece of content produced within a single industry on a single platform actually be an extreme outlier rather than the rule?

Oct 31, 2017
Maybe Playstation and Xbox have reached a level of parity in most respects, and the only real differences between them are the games they have? And so many people here assume this carries over to the PC launchers and figure that they're pretty much the same thing? I don't know enough about consoles to know if this is the case, though. More likely they know and ignore it.

Well, to be fair to them, if PSN (plus or not) was all I had on PC, I would be looking for "more competition!" desperately as well.

OP
OP
GhostTrick

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
They still pay for the exclusive rights and they could always create new channels if they chose. Plus there is that premium channel example where you can play everything through on demand. Could it be possible that the fact that you could get nearly every single piece of content produced within a single industry on a single platform actually be an extreme outlier rather than the rule?

Answer to that: DVDs. Have you ever heard of a movie exclusive to a DVD player brand ?

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And this is another reason why Steam Reviews are important.

Yep, game websites are dreadfully terrible at reviewing any PC centric/ exclusive games.
Like, Hollow Knight, one of the best games ever made, took a shitload of months and a console port announcement to finally start being reviewed by most websites. Despite all the huge word of mouth and great sales it was getting.

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Something isn't really "open" if functionality is reliant on a single company being relies on to continue being benevolent. You'd think after them needing to go to court with an Australian consumer rights group for refunds to happen and the disaster of paid mods just being things that happened a few short years ago people would know there's still plenty to be nervous about regarding them having so much power.
So, what do you think will happen when Epic refuses the third refund for an Australian consumer? Would they get it or not? And why cant all customers do it? This is why Steam is great, everybody gets refunds on the same terms.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
As a consumer, why would I care?

Isn't this like saying "Wow, how can you complain about lack of choice in your local ISP market! Don't you care about Comcast's right to choose to make themselves an exclusive monopoly in your area??"

No, weirdly, I do not care about that.

Lack of ISP choice is not comparable to a video game developer choosing to where to sell their video game.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if people would be OK if certain web pages were exclusive to Mozilla Firefox or Edge, like if their answer would be "well, just install Edge! Problem solved!".

Chrome won the web browser battle not by buying exclusive web pages, but with a constant commitment to outdo the competition with a better product, rather than limiting the choice of what pages could be viewed in browsers.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if people would be OK if certain web pages were exclusive to Mozilla Firefox or Edge, like if their answer would be "well, just install Edge! Problem solved!".

Chrome won the web browser battle not by buying exclusive web pages, but with a constant commitment to outdo the competition with a better product, rather than limiting the choice of what pages could be viewed in browsers.
It's mostly on the back of Android browsing

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Comcast shows a better version of the NFL Redzone channel. DirectTV has the NFL Gameday package. Different channels pay to content owners display content exclusively whether you have the channels in your packages or not. And can you even imagine this? There is a premium channel that is not HBO that gets to air all the Disney movies. WTF?

And this is what you want PC gaming to become? Publishers selling to the highest bidder?

Oct 25, 2017
They can run a storefront though and still not force people into a bad launcher.
Or just not payout artificial exclusivities. I mean, if they do, don't go telling me it's competition, that's it's needed and that it's a good thing.
For the exclusive games, it's possible the studios of those games actually want that exclusive spot on Epic's store. Imagine having all the Fortnite userbase's eyes on your game as opposed to the mess that is the Steam marketplace where your game gets buried. They're probably even being paid for exclusivity on said store. It's not always about what the consumer wants, especially gamers lol. As a business, you still do what's best for you and ensure your own success.

And will this suck for consumers? Maybe initially? But years from now? Could lead to more aggressive Steam sales. Could lead to Valve moneyhatting exclusives as well (which is more money for game studios so they can make more games). Maybe it'll lead to Valve making Half-Life 3, somehow ; )

Only time will tell. I got my popcorn out though to watch the show though.

invid02

Self requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If Steam didn't take a cut of microtransactions or DLC and allowed them to be bought directly from publishers, I reckon this whole thing may have played out differently. Everyone sees the games as a service future, an entrenched middle man taking 30% of your future services revenue just isnt gonna wash down as easy as 30% of the base game purchase.

Echo1

Banned
Oct 25, 2018
The OP is standard dumb gamer stuff. 'Competition is good, except for the kind I don't like'. Roll eyes.

Exclusives are table stakes for a new storefront on PC that succeeds in any material way. Deal with it.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I think it's impossible to make people understand.

why do people keep claiming that steam doesn't have a monopoly? is this based on anything factual?
Does Steam fit this criteria?
In a monopoly market, factors like government license, ownership of resources, copyright and patent and high starting cost make an entity a single seller of goods. All these factors restrict the entry of other sellers in the market. Monopolies also possess some information that is not known to other sellers.

Characteristics associated with a monopoly market make the single seller the market controller as well as the price maker. He enjoys the power of setting the price for his goods.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Sure but in terms of choice is the same? "I want to play Halo on a PS4" "I want to play Hades on Steam", in both cases you can't.

Yeah Epic Store doesn't cost money like an Xbox, but the lack of choice is the same, and when I say Steam, you can change it for GOG or GMG and whatever online store.
To an extent, but I don't want to push this into the steam/platform arguments, because I would say your argument should be 'I want to play Hades on PC', in which case you still can choose to do so. That it's not on your client of preference is a choice you're making, there isn't anything but your own opinion of the launcher stopping you, whereas the ps4 will not play the xbox game at all ever . For me, it's more about the game than the features that come along side it, so right now Epic's store has nothing of interest for me, but I'm not going to dismiss it outright because it's store sucks if it eventually does have games I want, even if they are exclusively.

I know this is simply my opinion,s o I don't want to get into fights with anyone

senj

Nov 6, 2017
why do people keep claiming that steam doesn't have a monopoly? is this based on anything factual?
Flip that around. What evidence is there that Steam is a monopoly? Other stores exist, there are clearly no artificial barriers to entering the market (since Epic just entered it), Steam can't dictate the selling price essentially independent of demand.

It doesn't appear to meet any of the criteria characteristic of a monopoly.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
If Steam didn't take a cut of microtransactions or DLC and allowed them to be bought directly from publishers, I reckon this whole thing may have played out differently. Everyone sees the games as a service future, an entrenched middle man taking 30% of your future services revenue just isnt gonna wash down as easy as 30% of the base game purchase.

But they can be bought directly from the publisher.

- Games can be sold for 100%/0% at the publishers/Dev's own store
- DLC can be sold for 100%/0% at the publishers/Dev's own store
- Microtransactions can be sold for 100%/0% t the publishers/Dev's own store (some games have different Steam and Publisher accounts, if there is a separate Steam account, you can't buy directly from the Dev in this case. But if the Account is the same, you can either buy from Steam or the Dev.)

Deleted member 24118

Oct 29, 2017
Flip that around. What evidence is there that Steam is a monopoly? Other stores exist, there are clearly no artificial barriers to entering the market (since Epic just entered it), Steam can't dictate the selling price essentially independent of demand.

It doesn't appear to meet any of the criteria characteristic of a monopoly.

Yeah man, but they compete with my Xbox! Call in the FTC and shut 'em down!

canseesea

Oct 25, 2017
ah yeah this is what I thought was going on, people trying to take the extreme defintion of pure monopoly and applying it incorrectly here. thanks for clearing that up.

Is this why people can call this a good example of competition? Are you using other definitions of words, besides the actual definition?

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
You mean the actual market don't allow to devs make the games they want?

Because the amount of PC games released each month says otherwise.

Things are good now but they could get better. Look at television shows. We have more amazing television than we could ever hope to watch because some very deep pocketed companies are competing for eyeballs with - you guessed it - exclusive content. Let Epic take the risk of developing a store. Let them help fund or de-risk projects currently in production. At the end of the day, we'll all get more great games to choose from.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Because there's dozens and dozens of stores to buy PC games from, there's like 15 clients out there all seemingly withholding their own games from steam, and the biggest games on PC aren't on steam (fortnite, WoW, minecraft, LoL, Overwatch etc)?

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for this post. I myself didn't quite understand the backlash at first, but this OP consolidated all of the concerns of the launcher quite well.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Things are good now but they could get better. Look at television shows. We have more amazing television than we could ever hope to watch because some very deep pocketed companies are competing for eyeballs with - you guessed it - exclusive content. Let Epic take the risk of developing a store. Let them help fund or de-risk projects currently in production. At the end of the day, we'll all get more great games to choose from.
With the rise of countless Netflix competitors, a lot of online these streaming services are also finding it harder to make money, as the continued fracturing of that market is driving people back to piracy: https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/d3q45v/bittorrent-usage-increases-netflix-streaming-sites

It's the same thing many of us can see happening to PC gaming if this continues.

invid02

Self requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
But they can be bought directly from the publisher.

- Games can be sold for 100%/0% at the publishers/Dev's own store
- DLC can be sold for 100%/0% at the publishers/Dev's own store
- Microtransactions can be sold for 100%/0% t the publishers/Dev's own store (some games have different Steam and Publisher accounts, if there is a separate Steam account, you can't buy directly from the Dev in this case. But if the Account is the same, you can either buy from Steam or the Dev.)

I'm not sure myself but can you buy microtransactions in online games directly from the publisher and not use steam, wallet etc?

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
With the rise of countless Netflix competitors, a lot of online these streaming services are also finding it harder to make money, as the continued fracturing of that market is driving people back to piracy: https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/d3q45v/bittorrent-usage-increases-netflix-streaming-sites

It's the same thing many of us can see happening to PC gaming if this continues.

So they will consolidate. Netflix buys Crackle or another company exits the market and it settles in to a long run growth pattern. What's the greatest number of launchers/stores that could conceivably exist on the PC market? We don't know yet.

Echo1

Banned
Oct 25, 2018

Your take is intensely idiotic. The situation with Netflix is that competing subscription services are popping up. The requirement to pay $10 a month to see X (exclusive to DC Universe) show plus another $10 to see Y (exclusive to Hulu) show is the reason for the uptick in piracy, not the need to install another app.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure myself but can you buy microtransactions in online games directly from the publisher and not use steam, wallet etc?
Depends if we are talking about content which has a separate DLC listing on Steam or not. Those can have keys generated just like the game.

For example, on Rocket League all the cars can be bought on third party websites, but keys cannot. You need to pay for keys with your steam wallet or paypal.

Status
Not open for further replies.