• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you know The Spoiler of Final Fantasy VII?

• Yes

Votes: 1,118 93.1%
  • No

Votes: 83 6.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
I remember shortly after the game first came out in Japan and some Japanese dude was posting on the alt.games.final-fantasy news group asking about that spoiler in the thread topic... ugh.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
They're remaking it for an entirely new generation of gamers.

Of course most of us here will know it.

If you weren't born the year after this game released, you would be able to vote and drink in America. That's a MASSIVE time frame and to spoil the remake for someone else because "it's been out forever!" is just so lame.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They're remaking it for an entirely new generation of gamers.

Of course most of us here will know it.

If you weren't born the year after this game released, you would be able to vote and drink in America. That's a MASSIVE time frame and to spoil the remake for someone else because "it's been out forever!" is just so lame.
I was unaware that it was illegal to go back and experience things created before you were born.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Whoa there fella, some people have just been born who might not have read this yet! Way to ruin this story thats totally not about anything other than that one event for a generation of people!

It's funny to think about though. in the first months that came out, you really could spoil it lol.

it wasn't a literary masterpiece when it came out. It was just a play you were going to see this weekend and just got it spoiled by youtube thumbs.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
I do not know really anything about final fantasy 7 except sepiroth is a big bad angel of darkness I think with a big sword. Shit looks cool and I'm exited to play it hope to not get spoiled to.

It will be interesting to see if the story hold's up in today's standards with game stories getting so good.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I accidently knew it in the last years, in a thread about Xenoblade 2. But, as I am playing FF7 on the Switch, I am currently at Disc 2 and it doesn't seem the biggest plot twist to me.
At least, for the moment the reason of Aeris' death doesn't seem clear, I suppose I will find out more in Disc 2 and 3.

Oct 25, 2017
In a world where if you complain about someone posting the final boss of a game not even out yet on YouTube and the response is, you shouldn't have been on YouTube, I can't even register how this is a conversation we've had three threads on.

20 year old game.
Not the biggest spoiler.
Those complaining about it being ruined still don't even know the story.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
It was shown in pre release footage of the original, it's on the back of the box of the original in some regions, it's been used in the marketing of practically every rerelease, and the devs themselves have even talked about that moment when discussing the remake. This isn't something you're not supposed to know going in.
This plot point seems like it's too big of a deal/surprise to be something that you are just supposed to know before playing the game. If they show this at the E3 trailer or something then sure, I wouldn't be mad about it as much cause then the devs themselves obviously have bigger surprises in store for people who are gonna play this for the first time. But old fans just talking about it and hand-waving it like it's not really a big deal and wasn't supposed to be a surprise to begin with doesn't sit too well with me. (and a lot of FF7 fans do that and actually mockingly spoil stuff for people who have never played the original)

Just to make it clear. I'm not saying that you shouldn't talk about old games/movies/books at all cause "someone might've not played/seen/read it yet". I'm saying people should be considered when there is a remake coming out cause now more people get to experience the game for the first time so why ruin that surprise for them?

It would be no big deal if before Kiwami 2's announcement someone talked about a certain characters death in Yakuza 2 in related Yakuza threads that discuss the story of the game/series. But after the announcement of the remake it would honestly be a dickish move to spoil that plot point, especially in threads that are focused on said remake.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
And yet there's already over a handful of people who voted no.
On the off-chance that you're truly this innocent as to the social dynamics of the Internet: any time there's a poll/question that's obviously one-sided, there are going to be a group of people who will deliberately vote the other way for comic effect. If you had asked "Is the sky blue or red?", a lot of people WILL vote red just to highlight the absurdity of the question in the first place. Your poll was at least useful in estimating the demographic of such people here, at least once we subtract the maybe one or two who somehow actually, truly, legitimately managed to evade gaming's "No. I am your father" for some 20+ years.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Since 7 percent dont know it, a subject which people think is the most known spoiler in video games, can we agree not to post spoilers in threads that aren't inherently about spoiling that topic?
No. People can and should discuss everything in the plot openly. There can be a spoiler policy in the OT, but anything else is overboard.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure this is the videogame equivalent spoiler of the one from Empire Strikes Back or The Sixth Sense.

Narpas Sword0

Oct 28, 2017
The spoiler that most people are referring to isn't even the big twist of the game. I feel like a lot of people who have played it also forget about it. Shit I feel like square doesn't remember it either.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
The spoiler that most people are referring to isn't even the big twist of the game. I feel like a lot of people who have played it also forget about it. Shit I feel like square doesn't remember it either.

This is the best part about discussions regarding FF7. Everyone Lazer-focuses on the first big twist, which hides the big reveal regarding Sephiroth, Jenova, and the truth about Cloud and the actual conflict. Whether or not this was structurally intentional on part of the dev and writing team, I'm unsure, but it's one of my favorite aspects about the narrative in FF7.

Oct 27, 2017
I know of the main ones from people freely discussing them over the years & FF:AC... but there are a whole bunch of lesser ones I don't know because I haven't played the game. I never had playstation when it was out and I'd wish that people chilled on providing too many details until the make is out and a lot more people can play for themselves.

I'd imagine there are a bunch of people in a similar position to myself, as well as a whole younger generation who have never had access to any of FFVII's media that would be grateful if people didn't have such a "lol its a 20 year old game" take on the experience.

Nov 18, 2018
I genuinely don't know the spoiler, but that's because I've only been gaming for a couple of years and never paid any attention to games before then. I'll probably play the FF7 remake and it would be cool to go in spoiler-free, but I have no expectations of doing so.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On the off-chance that you're truly this innocent as to the social dynamics of the Internet: any time there's a poll/question that's obviously one-sided, there are going to be a group of people who will deliberately vote the other way for comic effect. If you had asked "Is the sky blue or red?", a lot of people WILL vote red just to highlight the absurdity of the question in the first place. Your poll was at least useful in estimating the demographic of such people here, at least once we subtract the maybe one or two who somehow actually, truly, legitimately managed to evade gaming's "No. I am your father" for some 20+ years.
I don't know it and never paid attention to final fantasy. Was a Nintendo kid and didn't give a shit about anything PlayStation. Just recently got into PlayStation with the PS4 a few years ago. I watch a lot of gaming content and never heard people talking about FFVII much, so I never really had a reason to know the twist.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I still haven't seen Captain Marvel or Avengers Endgame yet and I haven't read any spoilers online. It's amazing how far people can get without being spoiled.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I might be more sympathetic to the extreme spoilerphones on this game if it wasn't available on literally all current devices and platforms for cheap. If you're reading this post, you have a device capable of playing FF7 natively right now.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I might be more sympathetic to the extreme spoilerphones on this game if it wasn't available on literally all current devices and platforms for cheap. If you're reading this post, you have a device capable of playing FF7 natively right now.
Games back then look like garbage and I would prefer to not play that shit, including games like Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time, unless they get remade with graphics I can tolerate.

Status
Not open for further replies.