• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I know the answers is "because the Soul series / Souls Like sell well" but FromSoftware is now a big name due to their efforts on those series, enough to get people interested in a game if they hear "Developed by FromSoftware". So my biggest question is, why not expand you older portfolio of games too that were just as fun? There are /some/ games out there kinda like Armored Core, but nothing quite matches it and there is NOTHING out there that comes close to Chrome Hounds, yet these games seem to be all but forgotten, Armored Core got a weird thing for it's anniversary but nothing came out of it and it's been 7 years since the last one, 14 years since Chrome Hounds.

Again while yes the Souls/Souls-like games from them sell very well, they can still keep on making those while going back to some of their older IP to expand their portfolio like I said and also prevent burnout on the Souls series because there is A LOT of em. Their entire portfolio this gen has been Dark Souls II +DLC, Bloodborne, Dark Souls 3, Sekiro, and soon Elden Ring. While I love a large majority of those (not you Dark Souls 2) I still want to see them reach back into the IP vault, hell even Tenchu, Otogi, and even mother fucking Ninja Blade lol

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Miyazaki said he wants to revisit AC and they've still got unannounced projects in the works. One of them is very likely to be mech related.

Try Daemon X Machina, MASS Builder, Project Nimbus, and M.A.V. in the meantime. The last of those is as close as you're ever going to get to a direct clone/sequel to Chromehounds.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Because people keep asking for Souls games and those games seems to be getting bigger and demanding more money and manpower.

Anyway, their last Armored Core game came out after Dark Souls, how did it sell?

Also, hasn't Sekiro started as a Tenchu game?

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't they say they were making a new Armored Core game like ages ago or something? What happened to that?

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't they say they were making a new Armored Core game like ages ago or something? What happened to that?
Hopefully still it the works and not in a trash can. I am okay if it's like the last one, V I had quite a few issues with the online, Verdict Day they just made it Chrome Hounds styled which fixed most of my issues lol

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
They made 2 AC games in-between Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2. I'd rather them take their time with it and release a truly next gen AC6 that has as much polish as their current output.

I know they're not as popular as Souls games, but they certainly have the cool lore, build variety and challenge that people love about those games.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because they are a Souls mill at this point until people get sick of that formula ten years too late.

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Miyazaki said he wants to revisit AC and they've still got unannounced projects in the works. One of them is very likely to be mech related.

Try Daemon X Machina, MASS Builder, Project Nimbus, and M.A.V. in the meantime. The last of those is as close as you're ever going to get to a direct clone/sequel to Chromehounds.
I talked to the M.A.V creator long ago, I know they bought the NA rights to the ChromeHounds name (no space) and have since hired quite a few people to work on the game, but it's gone quiet for like a year and a half since all that.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
ive been waiting FOOOOREEVER for another AC

4812866.jpg

viotech3

Jul 31, 2020
Maryland
Probably the same reason Capcom hasn't done Dragons Dogma 2 - to make us sad :(

But actually probably the same real reason, priorities. They've got stuff they're doing now and stuff they want to do in future, and at some point they'll get to those future things. Just that we aren't there yet.

Toshifumi Nabeshima, the long-time Armored Core producer, left FromSoftware a while ago and the designer of Armored Core, Shoji Kawamori, recently worked on Daemon X Machina. Could be a while before we hear more about Armored Core from From, assuming they are indeed working on one.

Most of From's current game designers were hired after Dark Souls IIRC, though a handful of staff hired before Demon's Souls' development are still at the company. It would be really interesting to see the former's take on Armored Core.

Honestly, considering how Sekiro was originally planned as a Tenchu reboot, it wouldn't surprise me if From decided to revamp a potential Armored Core reboot into its own thing/IP.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Because they found a formula where they are ridiculously successful and they'll iterate on it as long as there's an audience.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I dont even know why you ask the question OP when you already know the answer

Apr 3, 2020
I mean they did said they want to revisit the IP as it's one of the main the studio IPs.

We already have Sekiro, and that VR game I keep forgetting it's name. Which implies they are willing to expand their portfolio.

I think the lack of AC release is a little bit overblown. A new AC game is more likely to happen than Tenchu, Otogi, Ninja Blade and A.C.E

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
I had an impression that AC is already in the works but not actually announced. I want to see a modern AC game after all that they learned from their games in between. And given the new hardware, I feel they can go all out on it. Just thinking the jump from PS3 to PS5 is massive in so many ways.

Oct 29, 2017
Mecha unfortunately doesn't sell OP. I also want a new Armored Core, but it is what it is. Don't think even From could make a new AC as successful as any of the Souls games, at least in the west.

AngryPuppy

Oct 27, 2017
I wish there was a way to do Chromehounds again before the days of Party chat.

That mechanic was so good - the tension of leaving communication range to go capture a tower. I think games can block party chat and force you to use the in-game chat but I only recall Call of Duty doing it for the search & destroy game mode. Don't know how popular a feature that was with people though.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
Give me a dark souls in the AC universe. Let me upgrade/swap my cores parts instead of swapping gear.

Do it, From.

Camp1nCarl

Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy to me no game, especially now with most being GAAS, have mimicked Chromehounds online with a persistent war system. Players picked their side in a 3 way war, voted for bureaucrats/policies and had maps based on how the battle map was pushed. Such an underrated game that was a blast with good friends/squad. It could really use a next gen/PC port

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure they will make another AC, but they probably want to change the formula since the last two didn't exactly did well enough. I guess the will prototype new gameplay systems and design elements until they get something solid.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I've been wanting a new Lost Kingdoms game for years. I have 0 interest in their Souls games, but I loved Lost Kingdoms back in the day.

Dec 23, 2017
For Answer was the last Armored Core game I played religiously.

Verdict Day was alright, but the move to squad oriented play was not my thing.

NazoNazoXLR

Dec 20, 2019
If people wanted a new Armored Core more of them should have bought Demon X Machina

If that game had blown up big, do you seriously think From would've sat back and not done a new sequel of the series that arguably set the blueprint for it?

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Chromehounds multiplayer experience will never be topped. They know better than to try.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
I remember AC. Wasn't one of those available at PSP launch?

Never played it just remember it being talked about back then.

Oct 25, 2017
How much does Armored Core usually sell? With Sekiro starting as Tenchu, becoming its own IP and still becoming their fastest selling title, I feel like there's a strong possibility of them revisiting the Armored Core franchise, but ending up with a new mecha IP.

Dec 25, 2018
Fantasy generally sells much better than sci-fi across all mediums.
yeah this, Dark fantasy with eldritch-ish horrors is also big at the moment whereas giant robot stuff is a bit niche unfortunately.
Although the other thing is trends are cyclical so maybe there'll come a point where From thinks it'll be the right time to revisit their Giant Robot games, or make something new that is the Dark Souls of Mecha action games.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
I want them to take their time with Armored Core and figure out what they want the series to be. I want to like the series but the arcade to simulation mechanics/aspects ratio has never been to my liking.

Last edited: