• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
I remember some AAA games used DX11 as part of their marketing to sell games. I remember at some point Batman Arkham city used dx 11 to advertise the game. But it seems no one is using DX12 as a marketing argument...

Did Nvidia forget sending the money , is dx12 weak or not popular?

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Feel like IO were pushing DX12 hard with Hitman 2016. Might just be my shit memory tho.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
Id imagine DX12 and vulkan will get increasingly popular next gen, either because of better multi-threading and parallelizing, or ray tracing.
DX12 is a problem as it's Windows only, so unless you're MS, id argue most are focusing on Vulkan.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
If anything Microsoft is the one with the history of artificial exclusivity bullshit to get people to buy the new thing. GPU manufacturers may have had a reason to advertise it when the first GPUs were coming out with DirectX 12 support, but not anymore.

Vulkan is a lot more interesting though.

Finaika

Dec 11, 2017
What actually are the advantages of DX12?

99% of the time DX11 gives better performance, it's so baffling.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Vulkan isn't predatory anti-consumer garbage anyway, so I hope DX12 gets left in the dust. Fuck 'em.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
The promise was that bypassing driver overhead would lead to better performance (there are also specific technological benefits, but none that a player should care about right now). While that's true in certain scenarios, it hasn't widely been true, and the drivers and implementations (by the game and engine devs) are still almost always worse than Nvidia's solid DX11 drivers.

I've seen more Vulkan games than DX12 recently. Developers will have to switch to one of them eventually.

Shurp

Nov 29, 2017
Maybe its because most people don't actually care what underlying tech a game uses, they just want it to

a: Work
b: Work Properly
c: Perfom adequately

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017

99% of the time DX11 gives better performance, it's so baffling.

same reason 99% of games and programs in general avoid writing assembly. While the freedoms to take advantage of being closer to the hardware is there, you wouldn't do it because ,unless you're a top-tier rendering middleware developer, nVidia/AMD are going to make better decisions than you.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
Most games on PC are made to support as many hardware configurations as possible. That makes things like dx12 an exotic luxury.

Personally I don't like vulkan either. Opengl 4.6 restricted to (mostly)DSA is actually a surprisingly nice api(and I say that as someone who hates most of Opengl since immediate mode) and I would have loved to be offered an OpenGL 5 that cuts out everything else and builds on that as a core. Vulkan should just have been a pointer to gpu memory and some simple command structures, but they had to go fuck it up with their shitty over engineering again.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
DX11 came at a time when a lot of things like PBR, tesselation, and high-fidelity displacement mapping were catching on. So there were more shiny things people could use to show off the advantages over DX9 (even if these things were technically possible in DX9).

DX12 mainly boasts DXR, which is still rare, new antialiasing techniques (like Nvidia ATAA), and improvements over DX11 that devs working in the pipeline might care about, but are hard to show to consumers. They also tried to sell it by emphasizing performance increases that haven't seemed to materialize in actual games.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
They brag about ray tracing instead, also DX12 & Vulkan have caught on more than people think, COD MW is DX12 & people don't even know.

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
My 1060 does not handle DX12 great. Or at least in the 2-3 games I've used it I've gotten problems. The Division 2 would straight up blue screen my PC if I played in DX12.

Pipyakas

Jul 20, 2018
Both DX12 and Vulkan runs terrible on my laptop, so I'll take DX11 anyway. People did get excited about them when the promised lower CPU overhead was announced but with most games still being GPU bound, not much has been seen yet

rare

Oct 25, 2017
Mainly because vulkan is a lot better simply for the fact it isn't locked down to windows/Xbox.
Only real advantage it's got at the moment is DXR but considering how Wolfenstein Youngblood is getting patched with RT in the future and that runs on vulkan, who knows.