• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
we can't push an update that adds a couple of small vital files to the game like our competitor does. too complicated.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
How much money does this company have again

Oct 26, 2017
I remember Metro Exodus having pre-load on Steam and not on EGS.

6 months later and EGS didn't implement pre-load for their biggest game yet.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Unpacking pre-loads on Steam has always been slow as shit for me so I'd rather just download at launch anyway.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
They should prioritize getting this feature done ahead of BL3 release. The game is soper popular and all those folks downloading it at the same time will cause bandwidth issues and most likey dump the site.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
What do you expect? Everything about EGS has been some clownshoes bullshit from the jump. Maybe they will have more basic features in a year or so. I wouldn't hold my breath though

Bitmap Frogs

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Features? On the EGS?

You must be joking my friend.

Be glad they managed to develop a file transfer solution for the downloads.

Mirk

Oct 25, 2017
I just will never understand people willing excepting less and making mental excuses for it. Smdh.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
IIRC pre-loading (at least on Steam, if this apply to home consoles) is useful if you internet download speed is not that fast right?

I don't know where the point of comparison would be since speeds vary, like I'm sure the pre-load unpacking + preload dl can be faster than just dling the whole thing for some people. Also some ppl might need to dance around data caps and stuff, and this may help them plan it out sometimes?

Regardless, add this to the list of things people are used to having that EGS doesn't provide i guess

Deleted member 42472

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 21, 2018
I just will never understand people willing excepting less and making mental excuses for it. Smdh.
Rather than shake your head, maybe think a bit more:

I don't think anyone is happy with a lack of preload. But a lot of folk just don't consider it a high priority either because they don't need it (a-holes with awesome internet) don't intend to use it (folk who don't pre-order stuff) or just don't care (folk who aren't going to play at midnight because of work).

It is just a matter of doing an assessment: is the value of being able to play this game a few months/year before it comes to Steam worth the lack of cloud saves and the inability to play it within the first hour of release?

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
That sucks and I'm no EGS fan or defender, but preloads suck on Steam. Game doesn't release til 10 am the day of (compared to midnight/9pm day before for a lot of other digital releases) and if you preloaded, it does that unpacking thing that takes as long as a download does.

Storm

Oct 25, 2017
Personally I don't see this is a huge issue since Steam unpacking takes so long anyways so I'm used to just downloading on the day but not great for those with slower connections.

Hopefully EGS figure out a nice pre load solution in the future.

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Epic Games Store is such trash. Then again, they don't even have a shopping cart so what do you expect

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing EGS doesn't have a way to prevent files from being accessed between preload and release.

I have to wonder if their servers will get really hammered for the first time.

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
Maybe they did it to keep people from data-mining the game, especially since all that Youtuber investigation/leak nonsense. I dunno how far you can get in data-mining without the activation code but I'm just throwing that out there