• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
The damage is done, sit on it until it's good. I just hope it finds a way to get there at this point.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I was mistaken then. I know a community manager came out and said they would never ship them separately but then one of the big wigs, I think phil, confirmed they had discussed launching SP and MP separately.
It was talked about and quickly scrapped early on, which is what Phil was referring to.

They talked about it again more recent, specifically with MP first but that conversation seemed to have ended quickly as well.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Clearly they'd like to avoid that because unless a huge amount of work is put in then Infinite is going to really look lacking compared to the next gen games releasing in 2022.

But I don't think they know when it's going to launch right now, they just hope it's not 2022.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Isn't the same dude that said that the game wouldn't be delayed?
No, and that person was just relaying the information they knew. You think community managers are privy to high level discussions with Phil and other executives? They get info when they need to know it.

Drop Xbox One support for next gen games, MS.

They have with the exception of Halo, which was in dev before the One X even existed. Every other newly announced first party game coming out post-Series X is not coming to the Xbox One as far as I know, like all the stuff shown at the July 23rd show. Psychonauts doesn't count, was in dev before MS even bought them.

There is this huge narrative about the Xbox One holding back every upcoming game yet it only really applies to Halo, which like it or not, has been developed with the Xbox One in mind for years. That can't be undone in a matter of months.

Flounder

Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully they quietly kill the Xbox One version of the game between now and release.

People seem to forget that MS are betting big on xCloud and currently their servers are powered by Xbox One S SoC's, if they kill HI on the One they are killing it on xCloud too.

I know MS are planning to eventually use Series X SoC's (which will allow 4 games to run concurrently at One S specs) but who knows when they'll be ready, likely not before whenever Halo eventually releases considering they need the Series X SoC's for the actual console release.

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019
Some of you guys/gals have some thick skulls. When a official 343 member debunks some rumors, there are still posters calling bs.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
good. despite not setting the next gen world on fire, i think infinite will be a solid next gen title and having it on more platforms will make it bigger. also, it suggests to me that the game isnt in really bad shape but just needs more time to bake.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This rumor was dumb from the start, good to put it to rest. Not surprised people rather believe random Internet rumors than the devs though.

OtterX

Mar 12, 2020
Good. Just make sure it's fun to play with lots of cool things to see and do. Oh, and that it's polished, performs well, and has couch coop. That's all I want from the game.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
Lol, why are we even paying attention to their community manager? Isn't it his job to deny everything till proven otherwise?

mullah88

Oct 28, 2017
Did you believe that PR? Did you also believe that the Xbox One won't hold back next gen stuff from Phil?

Scarlett targets went around in early 2018, years after HI started development.
So what you're saying is don't believe MS pr? So we might as well disregard this guy because who knows the game might actually not make it in time to release in 2021

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
So what you're saying is don't believe MS pr? So we might as well disregard this guy because who knows the game might actually not make it in time to release in 2021

Yes. Game might totally be delayed to 2022 / Xbox One version dropped to reduce dev burden.

My whole point is that dropping Xbox One won't magically make HI look next gen. Not unless accompanied with a hefty delay for going back to the drawing board.

I mean have you seen the backlash? They need to act if they don't want Halo to become irrelevant again.

Halo 3 had a similar level of backlash against its graphics when the 2007 E3 trailer dropped.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
It will have a 2021 release until it doesn't.

It will have a Xbox One release until it doesn't.

Yeah, up until a few days after that horrendous Halo showcase, it was still a launch game and no one from Microsoft would have told you differently. Personally I still think it's a 2021 game but you shouldn't take what pr departments take you without a grain of salt.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
They need the Xbox One base for the F2P model to work. You need people playing the game and buying the mtx's of the GAAS model, be it Battlepass, skins etc.

So they don't have much of a choice in any case, at least for the MP suite

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Wrong move, frankly.

Either the Xbox One build needs to target 30 FPS to allow them to push the boat out on the visuals or that version should get scrapped altogether. It's abundantly clear that it's held back the Series X/PC versions visually since they need to build for the lowest common denominator, it just doesn't make sense to allow that crutch to persist if they're serious about punching up the presentation in any significant way.

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
I mean have you seen the backlash? They need to act if they don't want Halo to become irrelevant again.
Half of the backlash is console warriors who want halo to fail. Not saying that there wasn't stuff there that needs to improve, though it's far from what some are trying to make it. The excitement for hi us very much still there.

On top, Halo was never and most certainly will not become irrelevant with hi. In fact going by number of resetera Threads created it seems to be the most relevant game of all time....

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
I'm sticking with the opinion that the rumours about the Xbox One version being the root of the problems for Infinite's development is unfounded. I think it's more realistic that the game's scope is just so big (massive open world single player and obviously Halo multiplayer) that 343 has maybe struggled dealing with all of this plus the use of the new engine. And covid plus working from home has definitely not helped either.

I think many developers have mentioned how crucial the last months of development are before release as it's the time when the games comes together, so I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this delay ends up being amazing for the game

GraceOfGod

Jan 27, 2020
Didnt they also say, that if there was an E3 this year, this would be a showcase game? and that the game would launch this year with XSX? Not sure I put much stock in the public statements at this point. Just go dark until you feel its ready again.

Kibbles

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the maintained a 2020 release too so this really means nothing. That's a proper response when no official announcement has made, he's not going to reveal what they are discussing behind the scenes

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima Perú
I expect them to release the game in 2021 as soon as it is playable on all platforms, regardless of quality. Then to improve the multiplayer over time. The first expansion of the campaign to drop the X1 and maybe look next Gen.

KiDdYoNe

Oct 25, 2017
There's no chance they're dropping Xbox One. Lots of work put into that one and it doesn't align with Microsoft's "generations" plan.
It's earlier than most think it is... at least right now haha.

Jun 23, 2019
Why would he respond at all just to lie?

896.jpg

He obviously saw it as a good opportunity to tow the studio line about the game's release and calm people down who were anxious. Even if the game was pushed back to 2022, he's not going to confirm that on Twitter is my point.