• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Strifel

Oct 13, 2021
User banned (1 day): Trolling, creating a thread based on console war rhetoric
Gears usually operates on a three year cycle since 2011, feels weird to have no Gears game this year and not to mention the delays of Starfield, Redfall and Forza. This has to be one of the worst years for a first party publisher ever.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Gears usually operates on a three year cycle since 2011, feels weird to have no Gears game this year and not to mention the delays of Starfield, Redfall and Forza. This has to be one of the worst years for a first party publisher ever.
Gears and Halo are not on three year cycles anymore. Halo Infinite had 6 years and Gears 6 will probably be a similar timeframe. Forza was never delayed because it never got a release window before the showcase.

Also COVID has hit the entire industry. Look at the games coming out this year, there aren't many big games releasing.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
The Coalition is switching to Unreal 5 for Gears 6. It was foolish to expect another 3 year cycle between games.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
You won't get a Gears game until 2024.
If they do the "12-months"-thing again for their showcase next year, it's not even going to be announced at E3.

They're also supposedly working on another smaller game, which might or might not come before.

I think we might get their small game late next year, a short horror/action adventure thing, and then the full blown Gears 6, a big revamp on UE5, in late 2024 or 2025.

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
They're gonna have to learn how to manage their talent. They've never had that amount if studios. Sony have figured this out. Within a few years, hopefully, they will too.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
You won't get a Gears game until 2024.
If they do the "12-months"-thing again for their showcase next year, it's not even going to be announced at E3.

They're also supposedly working on another smaller game, which might or might not come before.
If they do stick to the 12 month thing, we will probably still get CG teasers at The Game Awards every year still. They can get away with that at The Game Awards because everyone else does it and it isn't their show.

OP
OP
Strifel

Strifel

Oct 13, 2021
Microsoft never made it clear that they would focus on things coming in the next 12 months until during the press conference. That's the type of thing you do before a showcase.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
If they do stick to the 12 month thing, we will probably still get CG teasers at The Game Awards every year still. They can get away with that at The Game Awards because everyone else does it and it isn't their show.

I don't see Xbox/The Coalition doing a CG teaser for Gears.

It'll be the real showpiece for the Series console, the only other that should be as impressive as a single-player 3rd person action adventure title will be Hellblade 2.

When they'll finally show it, it'll already have small snippets of gameplay (like the Gears 5 reveal 1 year and a half before launch).

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Jez Corden and Tom Henderson both said that they don't think this game exists. The Coalition is working on two games: Gears 6 and a smaller title to "test them on Unreal Engine 5 for Gears 6".
It's pretty pointless since all games are playable with online currently. Getting some PC players to play 2 and 3 ain't worth it.

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
Carrot in front of GP subscribers is hanging... no need to deliver anything anytime soon, in fact it's not in their interest to deliver too much/soon :)

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'd love to know what the people making these comments do for a living

Because they're either fortunate enough to not need to work, or they're lucky enough to work in a job/industry that wasn't negatively impacted by the pandemic at all

For the rest of us, we're aware of how the pandemic made working harder, more unpredictable and more of a chore as the way we work was being rewritten on the fly as many people literally died

Yeah, some video games were delayed, which is disappointing, but it's at the very least, understandable

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
They've just announced many games too early. Kinda expected that people would be disappointed about no info about Fable, Avowed, Perfect Dark etc.

sazz

Aug 3, 2020
London, UK
The pandemic did happen and every publisher has been struggling to some degree

They had a pretty good year last year as well, you'll get your games eventually

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
I don't see Xbox/The Coalition doing a CG teaser for Gears.

It'll be the real showpiece for the Series console, the only other that should be as impressive as a single-player 3rd person action adventure title will be Hellblade 2.

When they'll finally show it, it'll already have small snippets of gameplay (like the Gears 5 reveal 1 year and a half before launch).
I hope they go all out and premier it with a short gameplay demo like with 4.

Mung

Nov 2, 2017
Covid explains the issues with development. Look how many 2022 games have been delayed 2023.

Neural

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Well, if you were expecting a new Gears, you set up your own disappointment. Other than this, they made it pretty clear they're developing games. They just didn't force teams to crunch or to release incomplete games just to hit a deadline.

JadedGhost

Jan 28, 2019
Right after 1 of the best years for a first party publisher ever... the pandemic has made it extremely difficult for many companies. That's the answer. That's it. Lots of the games we are getting or got from other publishers this year were already delayed from 2021. Maybe in heinsight xbox should have delayed some of its fall 2021 line up into 2022.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I know the general public doesn't think the same way but give me Pentiment and As Dusk Falls over those games (maybe aside from Redfall) and those are 2022

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
Not rushing things out to meet arbitrary dates?

If you have Gamepass 2022 still looks pretty sweet and that's all that really matters imo.

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
What is MS doing -> hopefully taking into account the pandemic and not pressuring their entire teams with insane crunch.

They're clearly moving away from the usual calendar with Game Pass anyway (and they're probably flush with cash thanks to that, no need to rush).

Raigor

May 14, 2020
What are they doing? Not forcing their studios to rush games? Making AAA games in a pandemic?

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to make games during a pandemic
Everyone else is going through the pandemic as well, but MS seems to be struggling the most (like I don't think they're going to have any big exclusive for this entire year?!). It's worse when you realize they have more studios than almost anyone else in the industry.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
They've just announced many games too early. Kinda expected that people would be disappointed about no info about Fable, Avowed, Perfect Dark etc.

Shhiiiit... weren't you?

Really wanted to see what Fable would look like from PlayGround. With their tech of seeing far into the distance, I can only imagine what they can work up.

Curious to see what Crystal Dynamics is doing with Perfect Dark. They are one of the most talented studios out there.

Avowed, well their studio has proven themselves.... I really don't need to see anything. I believe they will match that ending sequence of their CG trailer. I mean it would have been nice to get more of a sneak peak.. some eye candy sure.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Everyone else is going through the pandemic as well, but MS seems to be struggling the most (like I don't think they're going to have any big exclusive for this entire year?!). It's worse when you realize they have more studios than almost anyone else in the industry.

Games take time, and most of their studios were acquired in 2018 or later, which means they had 2 years of non COVID time and 2 years of COVID complications to deal with

Most Xbox years from like 2012 to 2018 were way worse than the last few years anyway, most of the XB1 years were barren as hell

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Games can get delayed for 3 years and I'll still be fine. My backlog is bottomless.

Joo

May 25, 2018
Also COVID has hit the entire industry. Look at the games coming out this year, there aren't many big games releasing.
Without any console wars nonsense, I don't think that's entirely true. Sony has already shipped Forbidden West and GT7, and apparently Tlou Part 1 and Ragnarök will also come out this year. I'd say that's a pretty strong lineup.

Oct 25, 2017
Giving me a metric fuckton of games to play every month for a bargain bin price 🤷🏻‍♂️ I'm good for a while

Same with Sony once their sub comes to my country, don't care what they release I'll have a huge instant backlog with them as well

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
Xbox Series is doing great this generation despite the lack of first-party games.

Unlike the Xbox One era, MS has made almost no missteps and the publisher buyouts will continue the momentum. We all know that the games will eventually come.

I know some Xbox players may be disappointed right now, and I empathize.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The First Few Posts tell you what they are all doing:

www.resetera.com

Xbox Game Studios & Bethesda Softworks | OTXIX | Twenty-Five Years In The Making

We're all on this journey together. Xbox Game Studios Founded in 2007, 343 Industries is Microsoft's home team for all things Halo—video games, movies, TV shows, comics, et cetera. Here's some info: Noteworthy Persons: Bonnie Ross (General Manager), Frank O'Connor (Franchise Director)...

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Without any console wars nonsense, I don't think that's entirely true. Sony has already shipped Forbidden West and GT7, and apparently Tlou Part 1 and Ragnarök will also come out this year. I'd say that's a pretty strong lineup.
Forbidden West was a Holiday 2021 game that got delayed into 2022, GT7 was delayed into 2022 and Ragnarok was also delayed into 2022 in June 2021. TLOU Part 1 was not revealed until very close to release. So every single one of your examples is wrong. It's the exact same situation with Starfield being November 11 and delayed to early 2023 and Breath of the Wild 2 being Fall 2022 and getting delayed into Spring 2023.
Horizon Forbidden West delayed to February 18th, 2022 - The Verge
Gran Turismo 7 delayed to 2022 - Polygon
God of War Ragnarök has officially been delayed to 2022 | VGC (videogameschronicle.com)

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
They're not rushing out incomplete/unpolished/iterative games anymore, that's the difference. Because they don't need to. The next Gears will benefit from the extended development time in the same way as FM clearly is.

If you want a new Gears every 2-3 years you can only ever expect more of the same.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
OP, there's been a fucking pandemic going on.
Delays are to be expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.