• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Easy_G

Dec 11, 2017
California
It's nice, you could always just trim the parts around the path.
Yeah, I think doing some light trimming actually makes it look even better. This website has a lot of good examples. The park near my house is mostly mowed grass, but all trees have a good 5-10 feet of unmowed grass around them.
www.gardenista.com

Can This Garden Be Saved: I Don't Like Mowing Around Trees - Gardenista

Lawn mowing around trees can be awkward. Follow our landscaping ideas to avoid lawn mowing around trees: long grasses and shaggy lawns can enhance a garden.
A6-A183-A7-CBD6-4-A8-A-99-E3-C34-A0-C5-FBF69.webp

Last edited:

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
Feel like hooking up some tips/tricks would be best, if folks are open to it. Not that they aren't in the thread, but still.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
Mowed mine today, and luckily all the neighbors saw me do it, lol. All my closest neighbors are kinda "lawn guy" types and I doubt they were fans.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
In the US the problem I guess is that there's going to be drugs ans guns piling up in the grass so for security reasons everything must be mowed down!

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see how not mowing a lawn can improve the environment. Does tall grass really have that big an effect? Now, maybe if it was no-water May…. I mean, it's not like lack of mowing will suddenly make local plant life replace all the other plants…

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2018
I remember we didn't mow the lawn for a few weeks one summer and then all sorts of weeds and wild mushrooms started to infest our lawn and the neighbors. The weeds were the main issue and it took forever to get them tamed or ridden of

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
I definitely have plans to get rid of as much of the grass as I can.

I don't see how not mowing a lawn can improve the environment. Does tall grass really have that big an effect? Now, maybe if it was no-water May…. I mean, it's not like lack of mowing will suddenly make local plant life replace all the other plants…
There's more than just grass that is inhibited from growing.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Not mowing actually will help some local plant life take hold and possibly outcompete grass. We refer to a lot of those as "weeds" tho

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
Heh. I bought a house with 1500m2 garden that's completely overgrown with bramble, nettle and giant hogweed. Especially the latter is great fun to remove. But yeah, somewhere down the line imma have me some wild fields full of flowers. Not fond of mowing anyway and those robot mowers are an absolute nightmare for hedgehogs (don't look up pictures unless you want to be scarred for life).

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Ok I guess lol you just kinda repeated yourself for the last few responses.

That tends to happen when your points get ignored or misunderstood or intentionally taken out of context.

All I"m saying is that this is a pretty easy area to do better in

What may seem "pretty easy" to one person can come with complications that make it unsuitable to another. Doesn't make them an immoral person. Doesn't mean they don't care. That's been my only point of contention regarding this.

septentrion2

Apr 11, 2023
It's that time of year ago. Non-HOA people rise up.

I tried this a few years ago and my neighbors reported me to the city for "overgrowth and litter". I got a letter in the mail telling me i needed to cut everything back by a certain date or the city would come out and do it for me and I thought "hell yeah, free mow job. thank you, tax dollars!"

Posted about it on facebook and was quickly made aware that the city would fine me $500 if they had to come out and do the work.

in this city, Lawn Mowers stay winning 😞

resonance

Oct 28, 2017
I have a flower and vegetable garden in my backyard of the house I rent (I don't have a front yard though). Nothing to really "mow" per se, aside from keeping weeds in check. I'm preparing to buy a house soon, and I may just straight up buy this property off of my landlord when the time comes. But regardless of where I end up, HOAs are an absolute dealbreaker. Not going to have some busybody with too much time on their hands tell me that having a garden is "ruining neighborhood character."

Lots of people in my neighborhood (and the city more broadly) have gardens in their yard, or at least landscaping that's much more interesting than a plain lawn. It always cheers me up to just take a walk around and see what people do with their yards.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Doing my bit by being lazy. My only issue is when mowing it last time a frog got shredded later in the year :/

Shokunin

Oct 25, 2017
The city beautiful
I would love to try this one year but... I live in Florida, in an HOA community and am the first house when you enter the community. No way I would get away with it, lol.

TuneTuneGuy

Mar 11, 2020
I keep a wild patch and some flowers for the bees but no I will not be participating in this. Either the city would get mad or it would be too high to mow with my equipment.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
I mowed on Thursday. :(

There are still a few small orange wildflowers growing from the edge of the lawn next to a hedge because I don't care enough to weed whack the trim. But also I have a lot of other flowering plants, and the bees seem pretty happy with it.

Oct 27, 2017
I mowed my back garden the other day, but I've left my front garden unmowed since April - the grass is 3ft tall now, ha! I'll strim it in a couple of weeks.

Dogstar

Oct 29, 2017
Mixed here, with most areas left for wildlife and some areas cut for paths and to keep it looking like a garden rather than just a meadow. I did try not cutting the whole thing once, but at over 4000m2 it became a nightmare as the grass was too strong, so a balance was needed. I tried cutting it all with a scythe once as well, which nearly killed me.

It's sad to read how backward the US is with garden culture and not allowing spaces for wildlife, because it looks untidy... not suprised though.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
I wish my neighbors would go along with this, not because I have anything against mowing the lawn per se, but because I have a hearing disorder and gas-powered lawn mower engines are absolute torture (I'm not just talking "loud sound" annoyance here, the sound genuinely makes my stomach bubble and makes me feel like I have to vomit). I have a myriad of ways to try and avoid it but some days the mowers go 7-8 hours and it's just not realistic that I can be out of the house all of that time. Ear plugs don't work either as the engine rumble is too deep to get blocked out. All I can usually do is listen to loud music and that creates a whole host of other problems.

I would love if there was a national "everyone switch their gas-powered mower to electric for free" month too haha. Those don't really bother me that much.

Last edited:

Shokunin

Oct 25, 2017
The city beautiful
I wish my neighbors would go along with this, not because I have anything against mowing the lawn per se, but because I have a hearing disorder and gas-powered lawn mower engines are absolute torture (I'm not just talking "loud sound" annoyance here, the sound genuinely makes my stomach bubble and makes me feel like I have to vomit). I have a myriad of ways to try and avoid it but some days the mowers go 7-8 hours and it's just not realistic that I can be out of the house all of that time. Ear plugs don't work either as the engine rumble is too deep to get blocked out. All I can usually do is listen to loud music and that creates a whole host of other problems.

I would love if there was a national "everyone switch their gas-powered mower to electric for free" month too haha. Those don't really bother me that much.
Man, that really sucks. You can come move next to me. I use a silent push mower. 😃

beelzebozo

Oct 26, 2017
my wife and i live on a 44 acre patch and barely mow much of it. the wildlife is IN-SANE in a good way- it is so cool to see frogs and toads, praying mantises, grasshoppers. we also have seen spicebush, sassafras trees, and other life emerging in those places we stopped mowing. it has been awesome for diversity where we live.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
my wife and i live on a 44 acre patch and barely mow much of it. the wildlife is IN-SANE in a good way- it is so cool to see frogs and toads, praying mantises, grasshoppers. we also have seen spicebush, sassafras trees, and other life emerging in those places we stopped mowing. it has been awesome for diversity where we live.
This is beautiful.

Fulcrum

Nov 7, 2022
And people in this thread will call this beautiful and a utopia for wildlife.

Nah, you got bug infestations and invasive weeds growing up your house.

Mow your lawns.

Yep. This is out of hand and needs to be dealt with.

Regarding the tweet, I largely dislike HOA's but the tweet makes a good point of the positives of an HOA. The point is to keep the neighborhood not looking like a junkyard.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Love agreeing with a troll posting something they know is dumb for attention.