• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Sure but there are other bugs which are deprived of a safe environment other than the ticks. Bugs which aid in pollination, a system which seems to be beginning to collapse globally due to lack of pollinators. I get that the ticks are annoying but we are destroying insects which we are reliant on also

Plenty of insects in my yard, lol. Just not letting them run rampant around my home where we live. They inevitably push to the house then I gotta deal with infestations. I've lived in similar situations before it was cool. No thanks.

Also, you're not selling me on the "my yard is responsible" angle. I'm all for better zoning

Jan 2, 2018
Massachusetts
Plenty of insects in my yard, lol. Just not letting them run rampant around my home where we live. They inevitably push to the house then I gotta deal with infestations. I've lived in similar situations before it was cool. No thanks.

Also, you're not selling me on the "my yard is responsible" angle. I'm all for better zoning
There are some good alternatives to grass, or stuff that can be mixed in, that can provide more benefit for the environment and with less maintenance on your part. I get a bit jealous of people who's lawns are all clover or moss cuz they don't gotta do shit and it looks great.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017

There are plenty of insects reliant on native plant life which the average monoculture lawn is typically devoid of, hence the collapse of pollinators worldwide. Many of the grasses comprising of monoculture lawns are not the native food of many important pollinating insects, hence spaces of dead area they cannot use for food. Just because there are insects in your lawn doesn't mean it's normal biodiversity

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I think some are forgetting that many people these days have an HOA that dictates stuff like lawn care. Mine does. It also has a thing against weeds getting really bad. Otherwise I wouldn't mind having a few dandelions here and there.

So people having a properly manicured lawn does not automatically mean they hate bees and want the entire ecosystem to collapse. They may not have a choice in the matter.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
I have another problem with lawnmowing that's more of an individual thing: I have misophonia and the sound of lawnmowers drives me absolutely crazy. I have ways of trying to endure it (ear plugs, loud music on my headphones, going somewhere else, taking a walk, etc.) but most days the lawnmowing takes place over long stretches of hours, with lawn services working on different houses or neighbors choosing very different times of day to mow and all that from any time between 7 in the morning to 9 at night, and so it still often hurts and my fight or flight response gets triggered.

I know it isn't their fault at all but I still wouldn't mind if more people started switching over to electric mowers or started mowing once every two weeks instead of one to two times a week. I've genuinely thought of moving out out of the suburb I'm in and trying to find a place where the sound isn't quite so frequent.

Last edited:

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
I think some are forgetting that many people these days have an HOA that dictates stuff like lawn care. Mine does. It also has a thing against weeds getting really bad. Otherwise I wouldn't mind having a few dandelions here and there.

So people having a properly manicured lawn does not automatically mean they hate bees and want the entire ecosystem to collapse. They may not have a choice in the matter.
The fight for higher property value will destroy the world lol

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
There are plenty of insects reliant on native plant life which the average monoculture lawn is typically devoid of, hence the collapse of pollinators worldwide. Many of the grasses comprising of monoculture lawns are not the native food of many important pollinating insects, hence spaces of dead area they cannot use for food. Just because there are insects in your lawn doesn't mean it's normal biodiversity

Lawns aren't why this is happen though…

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Lawns aren't why this is happen though…
They are a very giant reason why actually. Like I said, many of the grasses that comprise monoculture lawns are not natural prey for native insects, hence why they are biodiversity dead zones. With less areas they can inhabit, insects are dying off en masse. Sure there are a variety of reasons why this is happening but lawns are a huge one, especially with the growth of cities

CrocM

Oct 25, 2017

lawn owners rise up

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
This is last summer, currently it looks like a weed infested mess, as it should. 😈
Z3aQvHu.png

See, now this is beautiful. There's biodiversity there.

Also, people who don't like mow, please consider changing your law to moss instead.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
It's not that property owners hate bees. It's just that they like property value more. Hmm are conservatives really the only ones who won't sacrifice financial gain for a safe future for our children/children's children?

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
They are a very giant reason why actually. Like I said, many of the grasses that comprise monoculture lawns are not natural prey for native insects, hence why they are biodiversity dead zones. With less areas they can inhabit, insects are dying off en masse. Sure there are a variety of reasons why this is happening but lawns are a huge one, especially with the growth of cities

Maybe the giant slabs of concrete everywhere might also have something to do with that….?

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the giant slabs of concrete everywhere might also have something to do with that….?
Yeah true. But since those are obviously off limits, it's pretty crazy that we're also making our lawns off limits as well. We could really help instead of contributing to the problem with the only downside being an increase of bugs (aka signs of biodiversity returning)

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Yeah true. But since those are obviously off limits, it's pretty crazy that we're also making our lawns off limits as well. We could really help instead of contributing to the problem

Speaking of contributing, I noticed you still haven't sacrificed your computing devices yet. You clearly must not care about a safe future for our children/children's children. Why contribute to the problem? You could really help by throwing your laptop/phone/tablet/tv out. Or better yet,, donate it now! Stop using it! Think about how much energy it would save. Clearly you don't care. Bloviating is fun!

It's not that property owners hate bees. It's just that they like property value more. Hmm are conservatives really the only ones who won't sacrifice financial gain for a safe future for our children/children's children?

Disagree. With these home price no one gives a fuck if a lawn is kept traditionally or not. They will machete through that shit to see the property and for sure throw a bid down if it the house is good and property has potential. They might chop it down when they get in but no one giving a fuck about grass like that.

But it feels good to be self righteous about it, lmao.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of contributing, I noticed you still haven't sacrificed your computing devices yet. You clearly must not care about a safe future for our children/children's children. Why contribute to the problem? You could really help by throwing your laptop/phone/tablet/tv out. Or better yet,, donate it now! Stop using it! Think about how much energy it would save. Clearly you don't care. Bloviating is fun!

Disagree. With these home price no one gives a fuck if a lawn is kept traditionally or not. They will machete through that shit to see the property and for sure throw a bid down if it the house is good and property has potential. They might chop it down when they get in but no one giving a fuck about grass like that.

But it feels good to be self righteous about it, lmao.
I don't understand what my computing devices have to do with ecosystem collapse. Weird whataboutism. Ensuring food for future generations is vitally important

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
I have another problem with lawnmowing that's more of an individual thing: I have misophonia and the sound of lawnmowers drives me absolutely crazy. I have ways of trying to endure it (ear plugs, loud music on my headphones, going somewhere else, taking a walk, etc.) but most days the lawnmowing takes place over long stretches of hours, with lawn services working on different houses or neighbors choosing very different times of day to mow and all that from any time between 7 in the morning to 9 at night, and so it still often hurts and my fight or flight response gets triggered.

I know it isn't their fault at all but I still wouldn't mind if more people started switching over to electric mowers or started mowing once every two weeks instead of one to two times a week. I've genuinely thought of moving out out of the suburb I'm in and trying to find a place where the sound isn't quite so frequent.
I have an electric mower and I love it.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
I didn't mow all May and my lawn is literally identical to a month ago

Because I live in the desert, don't water, and it didn't rain
I still haven't mowed, but I live in a colder climate so it's only lately been getting a bit long. I'll cut it this weekend, but it's not that bad yet.

I also planted a bee garden last year and do have a mix of clover in with my grass as I like it and it is hardier against dogs, requires less water, and provides more nitrogen. It's far better to have it in your yard.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, so you only give a shit and get preachy when others are contributing to ecosystem collapse and not yourself. Gotcha. Not surprised.
What particular aspect of my computing devices are you talking about? How is it relevant to the topic at hand? Maybe we can talk about it in that thread lol I'm so confused. Anyways, foregoing an environmentally destructive yard is much easier than foregoing having a phone, which is often necessary for having a job in the US. But I'm still at a loss at this connection you're making lol

TylerD

Oct 25, 2017
I average mowing every 2.5 to 3 weeks as it is. Don't water, don't use chemicals. I have really nasty thistle that will try to shoot up that I manually pull because they are ugly and uncomfortable for my dog to walk on. I don't mind the dandelions

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
What particular aspect of my computing devices are you talking about? How is it relevant to the topic at hand? Maybe we can talk about it in that thread lol I'm so confused. Anyways, foregoing an environmentally destructive yard is much easier than foregoing having a phone, which is often necessary for having a job in the US. But I'm still at a loss at this connection you're making lol

Where do the parts and minerals that make up your laptop and phone come from? Who rips them out the earth for you?

I'm just saying don't be so quick to wag a finger at others when you don't even look in the mirror, lol.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Where do the parts and minerals that make up your laptop and phone come from? Who rips them out the earth for you?

I'm just saying don't be so quick to wag a finger at others when you don't even look in the mirror, lol.
Again I'm not sure what that has to do with creating dead zones for biodiversity in areas which could easily house it. The minerals for this phone were mined far before I ever even conceived of buying it. It's just a weird comparison completely unrelated to the crisis at the heart of this article. It's also very trivial to do better about

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
strong vibes here.
mister-gotcha-4-9faefa-1.jpg

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Again I'm not sure what that has to do with creating dead zones for biodiversity in areas which could easily house it. The minerals for this phone were mined far before I ever even conceived of buying it. It's just a weird comparison completely unrelated to the crisis at the heart of this article. It's also very trivial to do better about

All the infrastructure to support your shit creates dead zones for biodiversity, my friend.

But it's out of sight, out of mind I suppose.

Oct 27, 2017
I mowed, but I did leave patches of clover untouched. Both for the bees and because I'm trying to encourage the clover to spread. my neighbors probably think I'm weird for having big blocks of unmowed yard, but whatever.

Oct 30, 2017
Bugs and insects ain't contributing to my property tax payment every year so they don't get a say in whether I mow my lawn or not.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I like my front lawn at least to look nice now that I finally discovered tall fescue is the only grass that will grow in it, but the back yard doesn't get as much (if any) attention (if anything the backyard needs some drainage mitigation), and we have plenty of garden space with flowers, flowering shrubs, etc, so the bees don't hurt for places to be and I see them regularly (and currently have two birds nests in two separate planters with eggs in one and baby birds in the other, so there's that too).

Oct 27, 2017

Quit concern trolling.

Argos7

Nov 20, 2020
I live in the middle of bumfuck Iowa. Surrounded by creeks, streams, pastures and fields. I fail to see how not mowing my lawn is going to have any positive effect on anything.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Facts. But now you are a terrible person apparently lol.

Local environments are important. Do you not believe that? Make a straw-man if you wish, but there are ways we can do better by our local environments. Absolutely no reason to shit on people that are trying to do their part. If you have a problem with someone shaming others, take your shot directly, rather than casting a wide net in this thread.

I live in New Jersey, the worst polluted state in the US, and have directly advocated for remediation of sites on the National Priority List to people in the EPA. I've participated in local cleanups. I've called, written, and protested to my local, state, and federal politicians about environmental issues. I know first hand how just a few acres can harm a local eco system.

I have no problem letting people know that owning a home means you play a part in stewarding your local environment. Sorry if I own a smartphone. Kind of hard to do advocating, or living in America, now a days without one. I won't shame those that can't or won't contribute, but I have no problem pushing back those that condescend to others that want to support an environment that supports life.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Local environments are important. Do you not believe that? Make a straw-man if you wish, but there are ways we can do better by our local environments. Absolutely no reason to shit on people that are trying to do their part. If you have a problem with someone shaming others, take your shot directly, rather than casting a wide net in this thread.

Im not shitting on folks who are choosing to let their grass grow. I've said more than once I have no issues for that if people chose to do so. The only thing I take issue with is attempting to claim anyone that doesn't not cut their grass is failing morally and doesn't care.

I live in New Jersey, the worst polluted state in the US, and have directly advocated for remediation of sites on the National Priority List to people in the EPA. I've participated in local cleanups. I've called, written, and protested to my local, state, and federal politicians about environmental issues. I know first hand how just a few acres can harm a local eco system.

Thats great to hear.

I have no problem letting people know that owning a home means you play a part in stewarding your local environment. Sorry if I own a smartphone. Kind of hard to do advocating, or living in America, now a days without one. I won't shame those that can't or won't contribute, but I have no problem pushing back those that condescend to others that want to support an environment that supports life.

Owning anything means you play a part in stewarding your local environment. Living somewhere comes with the same obligation.

Once again, I'm not condescending due to supporting better environment. I'm pushing back on the premise that anyone not letting their grass grow wild doesn't care and does nothing else. That's all.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
it's easy to not make your lawn a biodiversity dead zone than to not use a computer

you malding about it is hilarious

Ease is subjective. Getting mice and shit out my home isn't easy. That's a problem I'd face if I let shit grow wild. But then claims get made that one only cares about property value and implies they're indifferent to the larger global situition.

My point in mentioning cell phone use is that one can still use things that have an unfortunate impact while still striving to improve. All without moral grandstanding.

Also, I don't know what malding is. But if it means mad then you're reading me wrong. I'm not upset or angry or emotional. I'll try to adjust my wording to reflect better, lol. You're good!

Quit concern trolling.

Trying to make a point that choosing not to let your grass grow wild isn't any more a moral failing than using various consumer goods that also impacts things on a global scale isn't trolling.

I 100% support those that do. I have parts of my yard wild. But the larger portion needs to remain mowed for a functional home. I just don't think it's a moral failing for those of us that choose not to.

Totally fine with those that do and think it's cool. But I disagree with claiming moral failings on those that don't. If you honestly believe after me trying to explain this that I'm trolling then report my post.

Last edited:
OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I live in the middle of bumfuck Iowa. Surrounded by creeks, streams, pastures and fields. I fail to see how not mowing my lawn is going to have any positive effect on anything.
Do you have this same attitude towards other campaigns that are meant to reach a wide variety of people and may not be directly targeted towards you?

gunbo13

Oct 26, 2017
I hate having a lawn and think they are silly. I have a small city backyard and converted half of it to a patio last summer. I want to turn the other part into something eco-friendly but also good for my kids kicking a ball.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
All the infrastructure to support your shit creates dead zones for biodiversity, my friend.

But it's out of sight, out of mind I suppose.
Again I'm not sure what this has to do with the topic at hand. It's much easier for someone to rid themselves of their waste of resources lawn than it is for someone to shut down global lithium production