• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Nah, mow your lawns people. Nothing worse than having neighbors who don't take care of their lawn and leave it looking like a mess. There are better ways to help the environment that don't involve making your yard look like ass.

Pretty lame? I think it's pretty lame to leave your lawn unattended longer than it needs to be. It's an eyesore and it's just going to attract snakes and shit if you let it get too high. You can have a well attended to lawn and plant flowers and other things to be climate friendly. Leaving your lawn looking like you abandoned it for a month isn't doing a whole lot.

I gotta agree with this. I'll keep working on my garden and still cut my grass. I don't need to be wading through ticks and shit just to get to my car.

Jan 2, 2018
Massachusetts
Yes, and when their lower jumping point is nil because they can't stand all day on a blade of short grass, you lower the risk of ticks successfully jumping on you.

Also, ticks DO need at least some cover from the sun and shorter grass does give them less habitat to hop around in. So you're right, the ticks don't decide to just up and leave a short lawn. However, they will be exposed to the elements and predators more easily. Therefore, henceforth, concordantly, vis-a-vis...less ticks in my yard.
What I mean is that you're not going to introduce ticks by not mowing. You've either already got them in your area or you don't. Mowing won't eradicate the population. If you're not actively using your yard for anything besides mowing, then your highest chance of exposure is from mowing.

It's a different story if you're using your yard, like if you've got kids playing in it or whatever. Yet, even then, the idea of not mowing is not necessarily to let grass grow up several feet, but that we should encourage different things to grow, including low height, low maintenance plants like clover which are perfect for playing in.

Feb 9, 2018
Between my age and my muscular dystrophy, it's getting to where I can't mow the lawn anymore. I tried a few weeks ago and after about ten minutes I had to tap out because I was already exhausted and my muscles were starting to seize up. I'm not about to pay someone to mow it for me, either. Not with how fast and dense the crap in the back yard grows (it's all bahia grass in the summer once I mow down the "weeds" that grow up during the winter). I want to tear up my back yard and plant some clovers and other flowers, maybe even put a vegetable garden in one corner of it. Anything to make it to where I don't have to mow anymore. The most I want to have to do is pull up the occasional Carolina cherry, which tend to proliferate right on the fence line.

Even when I was younger and better able to move around, I hated mowing. It's exhausting and tedious. It's also carries with it significant environmental cost but no real practical benefit.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Our front yard is shaping up nicely this year.
xpP10mm.png

BHyaj5W.png

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
Unrelated to the month, but does anyone get annoyed by neighbors who, while they do mow their lawn, fail to do anything related to edging? Sure, the lawn is flat, but there is just wild growth overtaking the sidewalks and curbs, and random stuff just hanging a foot into the air everywhere on the sides.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
I'd totally do this if my dad wasn't extremely persnickety about my lawn when he stops by.

Not to mention I've heard that the longer the grass is when you mow it, the faster it grows back.

Oct 27, 2017
Too late, I've already mowed it in May.

Dandelions are also banned from my property. Don't want to look at that shit growing everywhere. I'm always on watch in the spring so I can capture the few ones still around.
Yeah my neighbor doesn't do shit and his yard is a mess with a huge section filled with dandelions. I usually use my fiskars claw tool to pull out dandelions from root, works great, but it's a forever battle.

My nephew is allergic to bees so I try to keep shit like that and clover out.

I'd totally do this if my dad wasn't extremely persnickety about my lawn when he stops by.

Not to mention I've heard that the longer the grass is when you mow it, the faster it grows back.

So possibly, it depends. The less you mow the grass, the less stressed it is, but if you constantly mow really high, you'll contribute to thatch build up unless you're bagging your clippings. There's also the rule of only cut 1/3 length at a time.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
The last time I protested mowing my grass, I got a threatening letter in the mail from the city, with a due date and a daily fine if I don't meet it.

Oct 29, 2017
When I have some land I definitely intend to let it grow out and have local plantlife and flowers overtake it.

The perfectly trimmed suburban yard is just not for me and I don't think it looks all that nice. I prefer a more natural look, and to help with local polinators of course.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
FOr people that like to let nature take it course. Whats the best course for tackling Ivy? I'd love nature plants to go wild a bit in our upper yard...but the Ivy is just choking it all out.

Oct 25, 2017
Coincidentally our landscapers stopped cutting our grass a few weeks ago without giving us the heads up so we have nearly a months growth out there. Getting rough, have to find a new guy asap or be forced to break out our old electric mower. The horror.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
So possibly, it depends. The less you mow the grass, the less stressed it is, but if you constantly mow really high, you'll contribute to thatch build up unless you're bagging your clippings. There's also the rule of only cut 1/3 length at a time.

Yeah that's pretty much what I DON'T do, lol. I typically go 2 weeks between mowing unless it's growing quite fast or there's been some rainstorms. Unfortunately having a new baby makes it very difficult to find the time.

Ive also heard that mowing later in the day when the sun is setting is better.

Honestly my lawn is pretty ugly (lots of crab grass patches, weeds, and bare spots) but my neighbors don't seem to give a shit and we don't have an HOA so I figure I'm okay doing the bare minimum.

Need to go out and trim the hedges though. Those are getting a little gnarly.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
Our front yard is shaping up nicely this year.
xpP10mm.png

BHyaj5W.png

That looks lovely, although what the heck with with that busted looking metal bar in the front?

Wish my lawn looked like that when I let it go, I just get crazy ass weeds that shoot 5x the height of the grass.

Leafshield

Nov 22, 2019
I find it interesting to see people talking about getting snakes and whatnot in your garden. This is a UK paper talking about a recommendation by a UK charity to UK readers. Our only venomous snake is the Adder, and they are so shy that I've never even seen one. I'd actually kinda want to! They are a protected species, their bite isn't any worse than a bee sting.

Adder | The Wildlife Trusts

Our only venomous snake, the shy adder can be spotted basking in the sunshine in woodland glades and on heathlands.

If there was a good chance of getting rattlers and whatnot though, I'd be a lot more cautious.

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
I am pleasantly surprised how many people in my area let their yards grow. I didn't think this would be so popular or even known.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
That looks lovely, although what the heck with with that busted looking metal bar in the front?
For some reason the mailman/mailwomen think can just walz straight through the flowers to the front door. The metal bars are to dissuade them of that notion, we also plan on painting them before too long.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
For some reason the mailman/mailwomen think can just walz straight through the flowers to the front door. The metal bars are to dissuade them of that notion, we also plan on painting them before too long.

Oh god..that would be so annoying lol, thankfully my mailperson just breaks my mailboxes or refuses to deliver anything that wont fit in the box so I don't have to worry about that atleast XD

Darth Karja

Oct 25, 2017
Unrelated to the month, but does anyone get annoyed by neighbors who, while they do mow their lawn, fail to do anything related to edging? Sure, the lawn is flat, but there is just wild growth overtaking the sidewalks and curbs, and random stuff just hanging a foot into the air everywhere on the sides.
This is what I do. Do a half assed trim about once a month, don't edge because it's too much work. I prefer an overgrown look. I actually get a little annoyed by my neighbor right next to me who has a perfect lawn, rotates the direction he mows every time, and is constantly mowing.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
You can make something locally friendly and sustainable without letting it go to hell, but like...it ain't my property, and as long as it ain't causing any problems other than an eyesore it ain't my business.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Ended up having to mow once about a week ago to prevent it from being a jungle but left it at the highest setting so all the dandelions etc. lived. You're welcome bees.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah my neighbor doesn't do shit and his yard is a mess with a huge section filled with dandelions. I usually use my fiskars claw tool to pull out dandelions from root, works great, but it's a forever battle.

My nephew is allergic to bees so I try to keep shit like that and clover out.
I also try to take the roots if possible, but I'm satisfied as long as I get the flower. I always feel like a cool bastard when I pluck a head that's just ready to spread the seeds. *Gotcha!*

I actually try to get rid of the clover also. There is always a massive outbreak near my lounging area.

Now about that moss in the lawn…

Oct 29, 2017
I held out until my daughters birthday party this past weekend. Rabbit took advantage of the tall grass in the backyard to burrow into the ground, so I had to fill it in after I mowed it so we wouldn't break our ankles. Probably won't be doing this again while I use a reel mower. Hell of a workout though.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
So about...20% or so of the houses in our area participated in this. We did not. More power to those who did, but it would drive me absolutely insane having our yard look like that.

Oct 28, 2017
The images trying to guilt trip by saying I'm depriving bugs of a place to live by having a mowed lawn is confusing. That's the goal. I don't want them bugs living anywhere near my house.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I dunno if people live somewhere with literal ticks and snakes that sucks. Maybe I'd feel differently about the issue if it was a problem here.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Is this NIMBY but for protecting bees and other insects?

Yes, cutting your lawn is absolutely 100% a statement about hating bees. About as much as not having a lawn is also a statement about hating bees…

I dunno if people live somewhere with literal ticks and snakes that sucks. Maybe I'd feel differently about the issue if it was a problem here.

Ticks, field mice, other pests. But I totally support people's choice to do so. Everyone's area is different. I just don't think it's a statement of morality for those of us that prefer traditional lawn care/maintenance.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
I'd assume it's good to evaluate your good, valuable weeds and your bad, water-sucking weeds, and then get pulling the bad ones.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
A bunch of ticks in my yard isn't fixing that.
Sure but there are other bugs which are deprived of a safe environment other than the ticks. Bugs which aid in pollination, a system which seems to be beginning to collapse globally due to lack of pollinators. I get that the ticks are annoying but we are destroying insects which we are reliant on also

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, cutting your lawn is absolutely 100% a statement about hating bees. About as much as not having a lawn is also a statement about hating bees…

Ticks, field mice, other pests. But I totally support people's choice to do so. Everyone's area is different. I just don't think it's a statement of morality for those of us that prefer traditional lawn care/maintenance.
Whether you personally hate them or not is irrelevant as it contributes similarly to their demise. Monoculture lawns create biodiversity dead spaces