• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The best part of never being able to own a home is never having to mow the lawn

Austriacus

Oct 25, 2017
I continue to be baffled people think those green lawns look good, such bad taste. The enviroment thing should be just a bonus for ridding oneself of such an ugly thing.

hydruxo

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, mow your lawns people. Nothing worse than having neighbors who don't take care of their lawn and leave it looking like a mess. There are better ways to help the environment that don't involve making your yard look like ass.

Damn, surprised to see the responses in here. Usually Era is really receptive to climate-friendly initiatives but most of these posts are just "lol nah". Pretty lame.

I don't have the opportunity to do this right now since I'm renting, but I dream of doing this with some property, eventually.
Pretty lame? I think it's pretty lame to leave your lawn unattended longer than it needs to be. It's an eyesore and it's just going to attract snakes and shit if you let it get too high. You can have a well attended to lawn and plant flowers and other things to be climate friendly. Leaving your lawn looking like you abandoned it for a month isn't doing a whole lot.

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
We have a ton of plants and shrubs. Open to planting more that's good for the environment/insects/pollinators

98b90bb3b9576561e053b5e5fef781fe85375939.jpg

We also have a wooded area out back, open to planting stuff back there, but it doesn't see much sun due to the trees.
This is a really cool yard. It reminds me of local nature trails that feature native plants. I'd love to do this one day.

Oct 29, 2017
Among all the species that have grown a "sort of symbiotic" relationship with humans because we grown them in enormous quantities for food etc, Grass kind of hit the jackpot.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Can't mow when a shitty lawn company kills your grass. That's what happened to me last year, so my yard is still recovering from that mess.

I've been considering just getting fake grass put in to conserve water and never bother with mowing again.

Besides, out here in Colorado, lawns are fucking hard as hell to maintain.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
Way ahead of you, I've not done ours since before Christmas.

Please tell my wife that I'm being responsible for me though, she doesn't believe me.

Nov 3, 2021
Lawns and HOAs are really from another era. That whole business would only make sense to people who didn't have higher-grade ways to judge people and waste time. Modern technologies for judging people and wasting time are about a thousand times more powerful.

ohlawd

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phantagrande
This is last summer, currently it looks like a weed infested mess, as it should. 😈
Z3aQvHu.png

We have a ton of plants and shrubs. Open to planting more that's good for the environment/insects/pollinators

98b90bb3b9576561e053b5e5fef781fe85375939.jpg

We also have a wooded area out back, open to planting stuff back there, but it doesn't see much sun due to the trees.

these look so much better than the flat shit people wanna keep. and doesn't fuck over pollinators.

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
Loving these wild yards! And the anti-lawn memes are great.

Sad how many people in this thread will still mow their lawn though.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Can't participate due to HOA, but fortunately the previous owners built a large garden in the front and sides of the house that give me less yard to deal with and more room for whatever perennials they planted around the house. I like low effort lawn work, and my wife and I are waiting to see what all grows back before we reassess the yard.

Can't mow when a shitty lawn company kills your grass. That's what happened to me last year, so my yard is still recovering from that mess.

At my last place, a guy who just moved in next door had this happen. He had a company come out to spray and it ended up killing his entire lawn. He asked me what I did to maintain mine and I said that I do nothing but mow it. It took him all of spring, summer, and most of fall to finally get grass growing again.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Can't participate due to HOA, but fortunately the previous owners built a large garden in the front and sides of the house that give me less yard to deal with and more room for whatever perennials they planted around the house. I like low effort lawn work, and my wife and I are waiting to see what all grows back before we reassess the yard.

At my last place, a guy who just moved in next door had this happen. He had a company come out to spray and it ended up killing his entire lawn. He asked me what I did to maintain mine and I said that I do nothing but mow it. It took him all of spring, summer, and most of fall to finally get grass growing again.

A big reason we stopped using a lawn service for cut / clean was they'd come after it had rain, im talking like within 2 hours, and their ride on mowers would just destroy the yard. I could care less about if i have lush green lawn, but i do care when you are actually tearing up the lawn b/c all the dirt is super soft.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
While I haven't yet mowed it in May at this point, I'm going to have to. Don't live in an HOA community but the city can and will fine you if the lawn gets overgrown - I think the official standard is 8in tall.

That being said, I am on a solar/wind energy service and my lawnmower is battery powered. I also don't ever water it or anything else. And to help make up for the flowers, I do have a fruiting tree in the backyard along with flowers in the front. Both of which again I don't water or do anything to.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
The guy across the street who spends 4-6 hours every day using a leaf blower would immediately call the bylaw officer on us. Maybe not for the lawn but he'd snoop around our yard and find something.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
I really like mowing the lawn. Great time to throw a podcast on (I wear earbuds under hearing protection) and go for a walk on a nice day. That being said, I'll consider not mowing this month. I typically mow less in May anyways to all the grass to really take root.

A few years ago I switched to organic/natural fertilizer (Purely Organic, Ecoscraps, Milorganite, etc.). I no longer apply whole lawn herbicide treatments - I spot treat/remove weeds. We also have a few flower beds throughout the yard with various different types of flowers. The only pests I'm concerned with removing are wasps.

Why do you need short cut grass in your yard, what's wrong with longer grass and wild flowers?
As someone with kids, a yard which has a well maintained grass area offers a wonderful outdoor play space for kids and families. Sports, activities, games, and just general playing around.

BourbonAFC

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, nah. Gonna cut it some time this week. I like the look of a mowed lawn. I ain't gonna be walking around in high ass grass getting ticks.

That said, I don't go overboard with my lawn. Usually every two weeks even at the height of mowing season. Plenty of time to let the bees do their thing. Plus, I never mow all the way up to the wood line that runs across the back of our yard and down one side. Plenty of tall grass and wild flowers there for them to have at it.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Why do you need short cut grass in your yard, what's wrong with longer grass and wild flowers?

I already said that promoting weeds where I live leads to these plants that have nasty burrs that hurt my dogs and I have to pull them out from their paw pads.

Add to that ticks thrive in weeds and I end up with a yard no one in my family actually wants to go into.

I have wild flowers, I throw local seed to help them multiply. But I do that on the edges of my wooded land. I also plant gardens (both manicured and wild flower variants) through my lawn. You can support wildlife and maintain a lawn it's not that hard.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I hate lawns too, but this is the opposite of what I'd like to see done with them!

I want them stripped out and replaced with concrete/bricks/whatever, not become MORE gross haha

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Naw.... I have plenty of non-weed plants that insects can use to polinate.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
I... do not understand

Stormwater needs to go somewhere, grass and soil allow it to do so. Bricks and concrete just causes urban flooding without some sort of balance. This is part of the reason why Houston historically has flooding issues. The city requires massive parking lots with all new construction, eliminating more and more green space.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Stormwater needs to go somewhere, grass and soil allow it to do so. Bricks and concrete just causes urban flooding without some sort of balance. This is part of the reason why Houston historically has flooding issues. The city requires massive parking lots with all new construction, eliminating more and more green space.
ahh gotcha

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
We won't be participating for the same reason others in this thread have said - we use a manual mower, so trying to mow after a month would be impossible.

That being said, I hate having a lawn in our backyard (HOA maintains front lawn) because of all the upkeep and work and, honestly, I agree that it's pretty ugly. I only do it because my wife basically requires it. I'm finding myself inspired by some of the pictures in this thread to let things go a little more wild or take a more creative approach to the yard. Maybe I'll try an approach like this...

CrunchyFrog

Oct 28, 2017
Had a neighbor threaten to call police for a tall grass ordinance violation after not mowing for 3 weeks once a few years back.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm a big time member of the fuck lawns gang. When lockdown hit in Scotland, my local council stopped trimming the grass on the verges outside the homes in my area. The grass grew waist high, and was absolutely full of wildflowers. It looked amazing swaying in the breeze, it was just great. But then the lockdown phase ended and they cut it all down, creating a huge fucking mess and clogging up the drain system because they didn't remove all the detritus afterwards.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
People mowing their lawns every other day during Summer just adds to the annoyance of the season. I never understood the fetish the British public have for constantly going over their little patch of dirt to keep it clipped - wild gardens look so much nicer and are better for wild life.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Most of the wild flowers in my yard bloom in April, so that's usually the month I try not to mow.

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
Nah, mow your lawns people. Nothing worse than having neighbors who don't take care of their lawn and leave it looking like a mess. There are better ways to help the environment that don't involve making your yard look like ass.

No, one of the best why a individual can help the environment and climate is to not adhered to the unnatural chemical filled lawn American worship.

A yard in a dessert should not have green lawn. Kentucky Blue grass should only found in it native range- not in every yard in America. There are thousands of ways to keep a nice looking yard, free of pest, that don't include a traditional lawn.

Reduction of meticulous lawn leads to less chemical and fertilizer run off. Adds bio diversity and water retention. Prevent soil erosion. It something individual. By not doing so, people are just passing the buck to future generations, just like the Boomer past to us.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

This is a really cool yard. It reminds me of local nature trails that feature native plants. I'd love to do this one day.

these look so much better than the flat shit people wanna keep. and doesn't fuck over pollinators.

Thanks guys! To be fair though we pretty much have all aspects. Our front 'yard' is what you see. Our back yard has 2 sections. Bottom section is the 'lawn'. It's separated by bushes and shrubs to the upper yard area, which includes a wooded/brush area and a wild grassy area.

So we have all sorts lol

Caped Baldy

Dec 11, 2017
Compromise?

I'll mow the front of my yard so that it gives the appearance to those entering that shit is well manicured and under control.

I'll leave the other half of my yard alone for the month of May. People don't need to walk over there, so I don't have to worry as much about ticks.

Jan 2, 2018
Massachusetts
Am unkempt lawn drives me crazy. That's how you get ticks and shit.

Fuck. That.
I'll leave the other half of my yard alone for the month of May. People don't need to walk over there, so I don't have to worry as much about ticks.
Mowing doesn't prevent ticks, it just means they have a lower jumping point. It's not like they go "ah geez, no more tall grass, I guess we gotta move". Ticks thrive in places where they don't have enough predators to control their population.

Caped Baldy

Dec 11, 2017
Mowing doesn't prevent ticks, it just means they have a lower jumping point. It's not like they go "ah geez, no more tall grass, I guess we gotta move". Ticks thrive in places where they don't have enough predators to control their population.

Yes, and when their lower jumping point is nil because they can't stand all day on a blade of short grass, you lower the risk of ticks successfully jumping on you.

Also, ticks DO need at least some cover from the sun and shorter grass does give them less habitat to hop around in. So you're right, the ticks don't decide to just up and leave a short lawn. However, they will be exposed to the elements and predators more easily. Therefore, henceforth, concordantly, vis-a-vis...less ticks in my yard.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
My neighbors all seem to be doing a "No Mow Ever" challenge, so I will balance that out by continuing to mow and maintain my modest lawn.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
I abandoned spraying my yard with any sort of pest control, weed control, or fertilizer a few years back. Due to the amount of trees I have, the grass is never going to going to be "perfect" even if I wanted it to be. But also means I don't have to mow that often. I am going to have to before the month is over, though, I think. Between the flowing trees and bushes I think I have a fair amount of stuff for pollinators, but that is something I'm going to try to be mindful of going forward as well.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017

Ticks don't jump. Also they prefer and survive longer in taller weeds, the edge of fields/woods, wooded detritus.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
I'm surprised fake grass isn't better in this day and age. People want their outside carpets, and don't want to maintain anything. The issue with letting your lawn grow out is that you can't use it for yard antics so easily.