• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
www.theguardian.com

Mow problem: gardeners encouraged not to cut lawns in May

No Mow May scheme promotes letting wild plants thrive to provide nectar for insects
The number of people not mowing their lawns is increasing after a successful campaign to keep gardens wild, a leading nature charity says. Gardeners are this year being urged once again by Plantlife to keep their lawnmower in the shed during No Mow May, in order to let wild plants thrive and provide nectar for insects.

Thousands of people take part in Plantlife's annual Every Flower Counts citizen science survey, the largest ever study of garden lawns in the UK. The charity says the results show a "radical shift in attitudes towards lawn management is under way". It says 78.8% of 2,157 EFC participants last year did not mow for a month before taking part in the survey, an increase from 33.6% in 2019.
People who chose not to mow were rewarded with rare plants. More than 250 wild plant species were recorded by gardeners last year, including wild strawberry, wild garlic and very rare plants including adder's-tongue fern, meadow saxifrage, snakeshead fritillary and eyebright. Many orchids were also seen, including the declining man orchid, green-winged orchid, southern and northern marsh orchid and bee orchid.
Plants considered weeds should be welcomed in lawns in summer, the charity added, especially those such as dandelions, which provide important nectar for pollinators. Despite being outnumbered by daisies 85 to one on a typical 2021 lawn, they produced 9% of its pollen and 37% of its nectar sugar. Plantlife said just eight dandelion flowers may produce enough nectar sugar to meet an adult bumblebee's baseline energy needs.

One 100 sq metre area of unmowed lawn, according to their plant study, would produce enough pollen to stock up six mining bee brood cells and enough nectar sugar to meet the needs of six bumblebees a day. After May, people with gardens and lawns are asked to mow less throughout the summer and preferably leave at least part of their garden untouched.

Will you cut back on your mowing 🤔

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My guys start cutting this week so not gonna be doing this, it's gotten too long as it is

Oct 29, 2017
Handful of houses in my neighborhood have signs on their lawns indicating their participation. I'm gonna go ahead with it as well, but I gotta cut the grass on Memorial Day weekend for my kid's birthday party.

I use a reel mower too, so that'll be a fun upper body workout.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
I think my gardener is due to come and cut mine this week. Then again it also gets treatments so doesn't really have much in the way of weeds or flowers either.

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
I can do less work and help the environment? This is a win-win. My lawn is nowhere close to needing a mow after the cold April we've had around here anyway.

My wildflower front yard makes me happy every day when I see it.
This is the long term goal. Got any tips or advice? Recommended reading?

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
I try to mow mine very irregularly, maybe every 3-4 weeks in summer? Does mean I need to use a manual mower first because it's too long for the electric

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I leave the parkway alone as it's a dandelion hellscape, but it's technically the city's so I'm not going to mess with it. The front yard is relatively clean, and my SO and I let the backyard get a little wild.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I use a reel mower and don't do any other lawn care. I have plenty of beautiful weeds, thank you very much.

Karamsoul

Oct 27, 2017
Fucking HOA is going to report me. Doesn't help especially as one of the board members has a house right across from me.

Last edited:

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
This is last summer, currently it looks like a weed infested mess, as it should. 😈
Z3aQvHu.png

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Hell nah, I just got a badass electric riding mower so I'm keeping it looking nice this year.

Trouble

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle-ish
My HOA requires our lawns to be kept cut, but we also own almost as much protected undeveloped land as we do land with improvements (houses, roads, etc). The acres of completely wild bushes and pond behind my house have a fuckton of biodiversity. The critters are all about the wild blackberries and salmonberries back there. We also host what I think might be the largest frog orgy in the world every year. It's almost deafening, but also quite soothing somehow.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
This is the long term goal. Got any tips or advice? Recommended reading?
We had the yard tilled, then we tarped it through the summer and come first frost we spread 4 pounds of regional wildflowers in the front yard. Next spring everything came to life magically.

You can order wildflower seeds that are appropriate for your region here:

Wildflower Seeds, Flower Bulbs, Perennials

American Meadows has been supplying gardeners with the best wildflower seeds, perennials, bulbs and how-to information since 1981. 100% Guaranteed.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
I'm not even sure I'd be able to mow my lawn after a month without choking the mower out completely. It grows so fast this time of year that anything less than once a week isn't really possible.

Jasonofindy

Oct 27, 2017
With as fast as grass grows, a month without mowing would mean it would be high enough to be fined by the city where I live.

amon37

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't mowed for at least a year or two..checkmate climate change.

Mostly because the grass is all dead and I'm waiting to remodel it.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't currently have a lawn, but I do mow my parents and did so for the first time this year last week. It's ok, because it's only about a 750 sq ft lawn while they're on five acres. So in the scheme of things the lawn is rather irrelevant and it makes them happy to see it looking nice.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a robot mow my lawn. It's the only thing it exists for so I don't have the heart to tell it to stop.

mute

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 25, 2017
July or August would be better, no grass growing then for me :P

JonaB1986

Sep 15, 2020
I'm sure a lot of city ordinances will have something to say about this lol. I don't cut my grass for like 2 weeks and bam, I get a rude letter form the city.

Oct 30, 2017
Nah, there isn't anything better to me as a homeowner than a well-manicured lawn. It's one of the small pleasures I get from housework and I will not bow down to Big Bee.

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
My yard is already a mix of clover, wild strawberry, dandelion, and other "weeds" because I don't weed and feed. It is not uniform, but tends to stay green longer because I let the natural drought tolerant plants live. I also don't mow my grass like it is a golf course. I let it go long and raise the deck.

Instead of not mowing, stop using chemicals to kill "weeds".

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
This won't work for me as my lawn grows way too fast. 2 weeks max or the mower won't handle it well. And even 2 weeks is potentially bad enough for the home owner association to complain.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
My area gets copperhead snakes that love tall grass, so no thank you. I appreciate the effort though if you live in an area that can do this.
Luckily, most of my yard is Zoysia and Bermuda so they haven't even grown yet and they stay a lot shorter than most fescues. Zoysia in particular is awesome and only needs mowed every 2-3 weeks max, and is basically a weed with how quickly it takes over a yard and how little maintenance it requires.

Ultryx

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Late spring rains hit us while we were gone. The yard is looking crazy right now. No way I'm skipping mowing. We don't have any "grass" though in the traditional sense and I support tons of native bees other ways around our property.

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
We had the yard tilled, then we tarped it through the summer and come first frost we spread 4 pounds of regional wildflowers in the front yard. Next spring everything came to life magically.

You can order wildflower seeds that are appropriate for your region here:

Wildflower Seeds, Flower Bulbs, Perennials

American Meadows has been supplying gardeners with the best wildflower seeds, perennials, bulbs and how-to information since 1981. 100% Guaranteed.
Thanks!

This is last summer, currently it looks like a weed infested mess, as it should.
😈

Z3aQvHu.png

I might have to wait until my dad passes away, he'd never let me hear the end of this, lol.

Frodo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
For people here missing the point, the point of No Mow May is to allow "weeds" and wild flowers to grow because those are great source of pollen and nectar for bees, butterflies, and other pollinators.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
FliX coming correct into this thread, hopefully inspires others

This or xeroscaping depending on the climate is the future of neighborhoods imo

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
With as fast as grass grows, a month without mowing would mean it would be high enough to be fined by the city where I live.
I would look into converting it into a clover lawn. Requires much less water and maintenance than grass does and does not grow particularly high, plus it flowers and looks great! Pollinators are big fans.