• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
1. You "remember hearing" that dev restarted? Nintendo said it explicitly.

2. It will take 2-3 years minimum. It's a 2021 title at best. No one should have expected anything at e3. They told you it was restarted because it will be a long time. We won't see it until late 2020 at the earliest

3. Nintendo's last CEO, the one in charge when Switch launched, said they wanted switch to last longer than a normal console cycle, which is 5-6 years. So going by 2017, that means 2023. With node shrinks and such, I think 3 or 5nm, maybe stacked boards, etc will also help them wait until 2023-24 for next gen so I wouldn't worry about MP4 being put on next gen. Next gen is still 4-5 years away for Nintendo

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
No. They just rebooted months ago.

Anything they would have shown would have created false hope.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Not concerned at all. Development only restarted a few months ago, and they were straight up about it. It will be fine.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
No, they started from scratch in January. I had zero expectations of seeing anything about the game.

It's also worth mentioning that this will be the first HD Metroid title, so it will take longer than previous titles.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
Concerned? Of course not. The game won't be out for another 3 years. We won't see anything until after Metroid Prime Collection is released which probably will be late 2020. So until E3 2021 they won't show anything.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like nintendo made the video talking about how it just restarted development just so that we wouldnt expect any news this year.

Although a part of me was hoping for something like, whoops! We restarted development and that sucks, sorry. Look forward to metroid prime trilogy on switch to tide you over!

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
I'm more concerned we'll never get to know what Retro had been working on until they took over the development of Metroid Prime 4.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I'm more interested in knowing what the fuck Retro were doing for the past 5 years before taking over on Metroid Prime 4.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I remember hearing a while back that they had completely restarted development with Retro Studios. I was still hoping for a little......anything though. Just hoping this thing comes out this gen.
Bruh they learned to not show a logo for a game far from release. They wouldn't do it again.

digit_zero

Oct 27, 2017
Prime 4 wasn't ever going to be showable after 4 months of development, no reason to be worried.

It was a bit disappointing we didn't get any sort of Metroid (MPT or new 2D Metroid)

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
Concerned? No, not at all. They just show a logo next year, they did the same with BOTW this E3.

I'm more concerned by the fact that we don't heard any news on SMT V.

Nere

Dec 8, 2017
Since it was only recently announced that it's rebooted, no. But I am concerned about the lack of announcement of the rumoured Metroid prime trilogy, I am starting to think those rumours were fake...

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
I think most be would have seen would be a Samus model in a T-Pose if they had shown anything lol.

Hearing what would Retro has been up to in the last 5 years would have been more interesting.
It's not the same Retro that worked on the original Trilogy but there should still be some of that there.
I am not concerned about Prime 4 until 2021.
If we haven't heard anything then I will be.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not all great games, like I think Super Smash Bros. Melee was developed in 13 months.
That was a different type of game in a different era of game design. Sakurai himself said development of the game destroyed his health.

And so many characters were not able to be included due to the crunch. Don't get me wrong, it's one of the best games of all time. But the scope of such a project is different from something like a full 3D 1st person adventure in the HD era. And SSBM is more of a miracle project rather than the standard of which all other games should be judged.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo released a video back in January regretfully informing us that the game had been recently restarted in development and will be in developed by Retro Studios.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
I was concerned last year. But now we know MP4 isn't coming for a long time, that's just how it is.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, they just this year announced that the development was restarted from scratch. What did you expect? Games of that caliber take 3-4 years to develop from original brainstorm to final product, if not more. I would expect they're not going to have to show until E3 2021 at the earliest. And if they show something before that, it's going to be a "target" type pre-rendered cinematic.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
To echo what everyone else is saying, no. They just rebooted it because there clearly was a reason to be concerned.

Retro just started working on it, there's no way Nintendo was going to show it this year.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
They literally changed development studios like a few months ago. So no, I'm not shocked it has nothing to show. I would imagine the Namco stuff is going to mostly get scrapped, and Retro Studios is going to do stuff from the ground up.

Aine

May 27, 2019
The game just went through a major overhaul with Retro Games at the helm. Relax.

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully they realized a 2D Metroid on Switch would be much better. šŸ˜

In all seriousness, they just started again. If someone expected to see gameplay I'd have said keep your expectations at check.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Considering all they showed was a logo... nope. It's way out there.

They only showed it because people wouldn't shut up about it and let them reveal it on their own schedule.

I think once we get the trilogy remastered out on Switch, we will be in the "home stretch."

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Since they started redevelopment just a while ago, nope. I'm more surprised we didn't get Bayonetta 3 info.

Papaya

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
California
Games not gonna come out for, probably, another 2 or 2 and a half years. They probably have nothing to show us. Little is probably finalized.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo was pretty straight forward with the state of the game past January.

Expecting the game to show up at E3 is setting yourself up for dissapointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.