• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
And more

Edit: I dont understand the wording to this question?
No...at launch it wasn't what was promised. That's why people say he lied...because by any kind of fucked-up fanboy metric he did. He told of features that didn't exist and wouldn't exist for a year or more.

If you want to defend the game based on what it became, that's fine - but the idea that Sean Murray didn't lie prior to launch? That's just clearly indefensible. The game that launched wasn't the game he sold people on in multiple interviews in months leading up to launch.

There wasn't much if anything promised at launch. Funnily enough the problem with the game was he basically designed his entire focus of the game about exploration and setting your own sights on what was possible because he was so damn cryptic exactly what to expect as it was meant to be explored in game (He characterized constantly in interviews the algorithm was changing as they were building and tesing, but never said what was or was not possible for release). His problem is he was constantly talking about what he wanted to make and the means of which he hoped to achieve it, but it was often characterized as "That is going to be in the game" by the community. He made the small development mistake of showing literal concept work as trailers for the game without giving enough info on what to actually expect for the final project and what should be in at release there by making people 'think' everything shown was going to ultimately be in the game since they weren't warned otherwise. I was part of the group that followed the game since its inception, played the game when it released and still play the game now. The topic of this thread is Sean Murray had the exact opposite problem this thread is about leading up to the release. He promised a vision but never promised anything about what to expect at release. This in turn lead to what people believe him to be a scam or con artist, because in light of no 'actual' promises of what was supposed to be in the game they took literally everything they showed as "That will be in at launch or game".

Now we know ultimately the reasons it ended up this way, and as Sean said in subsequent other interviews he definitely wishes he had done things differently. One of the things he has learned and in fact is talking about in this topic is people care about being given something that is promised, and not just shown 'what could be'. We still don't know the 3rd pillar in the beyond update likely because they are hammering out what the final features are going to be at launch, and not what they are working conceptually like he did marketing the actual game.

If Peter Molyneux can be asked if he's a 'pathological liar' and have people cheer it, I'm pretty sure we can all admit that Sean lied about No Man's Sky.

legacyzero

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No...at launch it wasn't what was promised. That's why people say he lied...because by any kind of fucked-up fanboy metric he did. He told of features that didn't exist and wouldn't exist for a year or more.

If you want to defend the game based on what it became, that's fine - but the idea that Sean Murray didn't lie prior to launch? That's just clearly indefensible. The game that launched wasn't the game he sold people on in multiple interviews in months leading up to launch.
You didnt read my previous posts that contaied reason, context, and literally video links. Soooo...

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
You didnt read my previous posts that contaied reason, context, and literally video links. Soooo...
Wow, he said in ONE VIDEO that he was lying about what was in the game? Well that's ok then...

Clearly you have a far different bar to clear as to what 'honesty' is. Suffice it to say very few people share that. Maybe it has to do with the YouTube channel you've dedicated yourself to.

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I completely disagree with him. The quickest way to kill faith in any product is to shut up about it.
I can understand that people are angry and won't believe your excuses, but you need to make those promises that it'll improve. A big developer/publisher staying silent only signals that even they have lost confidence in the product, and will probably scare off any people currently playing, especially important if this is an online GaaS.
I think he actually well executed it.

Lets say he talked and apologized and then talked about the upcoming changes.

People will still rage and will put the team on much more pressure about new updates.

But they kept quite and did what they could at the time and they recieved a positive feedback to the new updates.

PintSizedSlasher

The Wise Ones
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm really curious how many of the I-Hate-Sean-Murray crowd actually played the game at launch and based their opinion on that. Something tells me most of their opinion is based on the many pitchfork threads on Reddit and the like.

Firstly, fuck off. Secondly, I asked not to be quoted precisely so I wouldn't be pinged, so y'know, good job piecing that together.

Don't post if you don't want to get quoted. Now follow your own advice

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I have literally never seen him admit to lying about what was in the game.

I've seen him obliquely reference the pressures of promoting an indie game to a mainstream audience and the personal toll of having his every utterance scrutinized by an unfeeling mob, but I've never seen him actually and directly fess up to the very obvious lies and obfuscation that people were most angry about--and what's more, I've never seen a single press outlet ever ask that question head-on.

That's what intrigues me about this situation more than anything else--like, isn't anyone, anyone in the gaming press the least bit curious about the situation? Are they unable to separate these questions from sentiments about toxic entitlement or whatever? Is he literally refusing interviews unless they forego such questions?

you're right - he expressed "There are a lot of things around launch that I regret, or that I would do differently. " oh and "We definitely messed up a whole bunch of communication. I've never liked talking to the press."

thats the closest thing you get. nobody seems to want to actually address the elephant in the room

has he ever addressed the things he said like this

wdSK7zJ.png

or this

y4d9Zvu.png

thats why im bemused to see him championing himself as some sort of PR strategist - most people don't make ludcrious lies like that about their games. Molyneux is probably one other i can think of. You dug yourself out of the hole you put youself in, congrats.

Last edited:

legacyzero

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wow, he said in ONE VIDEO that he was lying about what was in the game? Well that's ok then...

Clearly you have a far different bar to clear as to what 'honesty' is. Suffice it to say very few people share that. Maybe it has to do with the YouTube channel you've dedicated yourself to.
Now you're just being disingenuous lmao. "So what if he said in an actual interview that not everything would be possible in the game at launch and that they would be making the game for years after release. HE LIED OR SOMETHING!"

My point is, they dont give a shit about your entitled BS. It's been 3 years yall. Let it go lol

5g9f343d8o931.jpg

Last edited:

legacyzero

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You're saying this in response to a recent talk that Sean Murray did on this very subject. Kinda weird to tell people to stop responding to the subject at hand. Cute pic btw.
I'm saying that people somehow wanna keep dogpiling Murray years after launch, not knowing the facts, context, or difference between a small self-funding studio almost cratering financially, and a AAA studio that has all the money it needs to delay and launch complete. The two shouldnt be part of the same conversation.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
It's not surprising that people disagree with Murray's comments, but the levels of entitlement demonstrated by many individuals is truly astonishing. Also delusional with a bit of sad thrown in. I'm trying to envision the daily struggles of a person who can still muster the strength and dedication to carry a sputtering torch of spiteful, blame-laden speculative fiction after three years.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
It's not surprising that people disagree with Murray's comments, but the levels of entitlement demonstrated by many individuals is truly astonishing. Also delusional with a bit of sad thrown in. I'm trying to envision the daily struggles of a person who can still muster the strength and dedication to carry a sputtering torch of spiteful, blame-laden speculative fiction after three years.
The amount of shit they said would be in the game that wasn't is pretty hard to call 'fiction' lol

Now you're just being disingenuous lmao. "So what if he said in an actual interview that not everything would be possible in the game at launch and that they would be making the game for years after release. HE LIED OR SOMETHING!"

You're doggedly running down anyone that dares to say he lied, while you run a No Man's Sky centric YouTube channel. Who's being disingenuous here?

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Honestly, I think for NMS, silence was absolutely the right way to go. People had worked themselves up so much no matter what he said they would have not accepted it and it would have fanned the flames again. HG is also not a big publisher where many of them have built a reputation that if a big publisher goes silent that means they've moved on from the game. So his situation really isn't the same as theirs. Plus honestly I don't think that Anthem nor Fallout 76 got near the outrage NMS did (they also didn't ahve people who had convinced themselves it was an entirely different game than what the game was or what the developer promised.. people really had in their mind their own version of what NMS was. Yes, there was some lies, but there also was a lot of people projecting what they wanted onto the game *cough* insisting it was an MP game *cough*. ANd they were going to believe that no matter what Sean told them. They were believing that even when several epople before the game came out were telling them it was not an MP game and to quit expecting it <- I was one of those and it was really frustrating).

That all being said, in this case Sean should really listen to his own advice.... cause he's once again fanning the flames with this statement.

legacyzero

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You're doggedly running down anyone that dares to say he lied, while you run a No Man's Sky centric YouTube channel. Who's being disingenuous here?
Lol I'd say that qualifies me to speak on the topic Infinitely more than you. I've given more information than your empty generalities. You sailed right past every argument I made, while you continued to trot out what reads like cynical YouTube comments on YongYea's channel. Sorry, your personal slights suggesting I'm unfairly biased towards it, try watching it first or I couldn't care less what you say, respectfully

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
I'm all for developers making games and putting them out, good or bad, without having to explain every mistake they've made to a bunch of twitter users. Fuck the fans, honestly.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
The silent strategy doesn't work for triple A GaaS because consumers have different expectations.

No one expected much from No Man's Sky after it launched, so it was a delight to see a substantial body of new content.

For what it's worth, I still think that at its core, No Man's Sky is an unenjoyable game. None of the updates have addressed the core gameplay loop, how the movement feels, how shooting feels, the constant busy-work style resource management 'survival game' stuff where the game focuses on putting 100s of unintuitive UI management and collection tasks in your path rather focusing on the players ability to make decisions in a hostile environment. With the updates, No Man's Sky is a game with a lot of stuff in it, but I don't think it's resolved many of the problems that it had when it launched.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
you're right - he expressed "There are a lot of things around launch that I regret, or that I would do differently. " oh and "We definitely messed up a whole bunch of communication. I've never liked talking to the press."

thats the closest thing you get. nobody seems to want to actually address the elephant in the room

has he ever addressed the things he said like this

wdSK7zJ.png

or this

y4d9Zvu.png

thats why im bemused to see him championing himself as some sort of PR strategist - most people don't make ludcrious lies like that about their games. Molyneux is probably one other i can think of. You dug yourself out of the hole you put youself in, congrats.

All of those things were present in the build of the game at the time of these statements. Things changed. This is why most studios are insanely tight lipped about their projects up until release, because shit changes and gamers can be petty children who lack any serious rationale. Most studios also don't loose the majority of their game in a flood.

Is your relentless resentment towards these people that important to you that you can't just let it go? ("You" being everyone in this thread who, after three years, is still unreasonably bitter about a video game).

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
All of those things were present in the build of the game at the time of these statements. Things changed. This is why most studios are insanely tight lipped about their projects up until release, because shit changes and gamers can be petty children who lack any serious rationale. Most studios also don't loose the majority of their game in a flood.

Is your relentless resentment towards these people that important to you that you can't just let it go? ("You" being everyone in this thread who, after three years, is still unreasonably bitter about a video game).

i'm not bitter? nor angry or anything

at this point, my investment in all of this is close to zero. i only pay attention to Sean because his situation parallels Molyneux (who has gone through similar shit)

and i know how game dev works - this is a failing of public speaking. i dont fault devs for not implementing, but to expect the general audience to receive a message, and then surprise them last minute with so much scrubbed out is pretty obvious who made the mistake here. the claims i posted above were unreasonably large. periodic tables and wavelengths to change the color of the sky? :)

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta

Given all the things it's clear he lied about - call it exaggerated if 'lie' offends you...you REALLY believe that actual planetary motion and atmospheric diffraction (and element specific to boot) were in the game when he claimed they were, but they just took them out for some reason?

Really?

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Given all the things it's clear he lied about - call it exaggerated if 'lie' offends you...you REALLY believe that actual planetary motion and atmospheric diffraction (and element specific to boot) were in the game when he claimed they were, but they just took them out for some reason?

Really?

I mean, they've spoken about it at length, but they took out both planetary rotation and orbit because it wasn't play testing well. The players got lost too often, so they scrapped it and kept the planets static with rotating skyboxes.

Again, I don't think he set out to mislead anyone or lie to them. I think it's extremely likely that a lot of the things he wanted in the game were in prototype stages, and just got cut, either because of the size of their team, or the flooding that wiped out a ton of their progress.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
God damn. Some people are absolutely incapable of moving on and letting go.

NMS had a terrible launch. Yeah, it is known. It is also known that Hello Games ran into some pretty crushing roadblocks for a small indie studio to deal with that would have generally destroyed a studio (ie, the flood that wiped out their offices, forcing them to lose thousands of man hours that would have otherwise been spent on working on the game, running out of money, causing Murray to have to sell his home to continue funding development, etc), yet they still managed to release a functioning game that was light on promised features.

If it was an EA or Activision, yeah, I'd have been pretty pissed if they released an incomplete game. But it was more understandable that a studio of roughly 14 people weren't able to deliver every single little thing they showcased prior to launch (and also taking into consideration that games change quite a fair amount from concept to execution, even late in development. "kill your darlings" doesn't just apply to writing scripts/stories). Let alone a studio that was hit by a massive flood, and were running out of money. Yes, Sony was providing marketing, but that's the thing: that money was for marketing, not development. Anyone that was interested in engaging with the development of NMS in good faith would know that Sean Murray was very candid about what happened with NMS during development, especially after it launched so poorly, and the setbacks they faced, and the hard decisions they had to make. No developer wants to release an unfinished product. Anyone that knows how difficult game development is, and how, even with big studios with hundreds of employees, schedules and deadlines, and costs can take unexpected turns. The value of man hours, especially when your team is already very small, cannot be stressed enough. For a team of hundreds, man hours are important to track and manage, sure. For a team of a dozen? Man hours are vital. Every hour that isn't being spent on the game's development can affect the process in huge, even devastating ways.

Think about it: You have a studio of 14 people, working anywhere from 8-16 hours a day, 5 days a week. Minimum, that's 560 hours a week being put into your project (8 hour shift, not including overtime/crunch time hours). Now, imagine that your office was hit with a flood, and you lose 2-4 weeks of progress on your project while your whole studio relocates/recovers from the flood. That's thousands of man hours lost on your project (not to mention the cost of replacing damaged equipment, setting up shop in a new location and/or waiting for the current location to be repaired eats into development budget; time and money). Hours of coding, debugging, art asset creation, feature brainstorming and design sessions, etc, is lost and can't be made up for unless you delay the project. It's no surprise that things fell behind schedule. And with money running out, you literally can't afford to delay the game to implement all of the planned features, so you do the best you can with the time you have, but also have to make some executive decisions, sometimes at the last minute. So they released the game in the most "complete" state they could at the time, and were probably praying to the gods that the community would enjoy what was released, the game would be successful enough to keep the lights on long enough to continue to iterate on the game and refine it, polish it, and add features.

Fortunately for Hello Games, both scenarios happened, and they were able to continue to build on the game and improve it. It is most certainly a different beast than it was at launch, and that's rightfully praised and commendable that they were able to take that success and faith the community put into them, and pour it right back into the game. Hello Games could have just called it a day after the game sold so well, and just tucked their tail between their legs and faded into obscurity/retirement, laughing at the "poor saps" that spent money on their unfinished game. They didn't do that. They released the game, and went right back to work addressing the many criticisms thrown at the current state of the game.

He had already said numerous times that they had a lot of post launch support they wanted to bring to the game a'la Minecraft, so that part was always expected. It was just unfortunate that the perfect storm of being a tiny team with an ambitious goal, a literal natural disaster, and dwindling funds all coalesced to make the release of the game a nightmare. If you thought it was a nightmare for you, as a consumer, it was an infinitely worse nightmare for the studio that just wanted to make an awesome game that met their own expectations, let alone the expectations of a ravenous fanbase.

Game development is hard. Sometimes soul-crushingly hard, and I'll always have empathy for stories like Hello Games. And I'll always respect a developer that manages to take it on the chin and turn it around. There aren't a lot that can do that, or have done it in the past. Hello Games took a nightmare of a development situation, and managed to turn it around. That's awesome.

I'd be interested in seeing a list comparing the "expected" launch day features, and the current list of actual, in game features they've added post launch. They put in a ton of work in getting No Man's Sky to where they want it to be, and yet they still aren't done adding to the game. I've been following its development since its reveal, and I've enjoyed it since launch, but it really has come a long way. I think people that haven't been following its progress, and that will approach the game in good faith, would be impressed at what they've turned it into. Definitely more than was promised in their initial reveal for sure.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Many of us dissociate the inability to get everything they wanted at launch and delay the game further, from the communication ( or lack of ) about those missing elements... before the release.
Which goes hand in hand with the fact the topic is originally about his position on communication.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
I agree to some extent silence is better than making more promises you can't keep. Look at the Anthem roadmap and how little they've done. That's more damaging than not saying anything. How can people trust Bioware and whatever promises they make about DA4 post launch support at this point? You also have the people that will shit on you no matter what you say, it's just all toxic at that point.

A short succinct message along the lines of "We hear you, we are working on it" is all a developer should promise. Even that'll catch you a little flak but you can back it up by something like "We still have X teams devoted to this, we are supporting it through our original vision." Just keep playing lip service to working on it (as long as you actually are) and then when you have actual progress to show then show it. But not before then.

But as someone said also doesn't work with publicly traded companies.

legacyzero

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

NMS had a terrible launch. Yeah, it is known. It is also known that Hello Games ran into some pretty crushing roadblocks for a small indie studio to deal with that would have generally destroyed a studio (ie, the flood that wiped out their offices, forcing them to lose thousands of man hours that would have otherwise been spent on working on the game, running out of money, causing Murray to have to sell his home to continue funding development, etc), yet they still managed to release a functioning game that was light on promised features.

If it was an EA or Activision, yeah, I'd have been pretty pissed if they released an incomplete game. But it was more understandable that a studio of roughly 14 people weren't able to deliver every single little thing they showcased prior to launch (and also taking into consideration that games change quite a fair amount from concept to execution, even late in development. "kill your darlings" doesn't just apply to writing scripts/stories). Let alone a studio that was hit by a massive flood, and were running out of money. Yes, Sony was providing marketing, but that's the thing: that money was for marketing, not development. Anyone that was interested in engaging with the development of NMS in good faith would know that Sean Murray was very candid about what happened with NMS during development, especially after it launched so poorly, and the setbacks they faced, and the hard decisions they had to make. No developer wants to release an unfinished product. Anyone that knows how difficult game development is, and how, even with big studios with hundreds of employees, schedules and deadlines, and costs can take unexpected turns. The value of man hours, especially when your team is already very small, cannot be stressed enough. For a team of hundreds, man hours are important to track and manage, sure. For a team of a dozen? Man hours are vital. Every hour that isn't being spent on the game's development can affect the process in huge, even devastating ways.

Think about it: You have a studio of 14 people, working anywhere from 8-16 hours a day, 5 days a week. Minimum, that's 560 hours a week being put into your project (8 hour shift, not including overtime/crunch time hours). Now, imagine that your office was hit with a flood, and you lose 2-4 weeks of progress on your project while your whole studio relocates/recovers from the flood. That's thousands of man hours lost on your project (not to mention the cost of replacing damaged equipment, setting up shop in a new location and/or waiting for the current location to be repaired eats into development budget; time and money). Hours of coding, debugging, art asset creation, feature brainstorming and design sessions, etc, is lost and can't be made up for unless you delay the project. It's no surprise that things fell behind schedule. And with money running out, you literally can't afford to delay the game to implement all of the planned features, so you do the best you can with the time you have, but also have to make some executive decisions, sometimes at the last minute. So they released the game in the most "complete" state they could at the time, and were probably praying to the gods that the community would enjoy what was released, the game would be successful enough to keep the lights on long enough to continue to iterate on the game and refine it, polish it, and add features.

Fortunately for Hello Games, both scenarios happened, and they were able to continue to build on the game and improve it. It is most certainly a different beast than it was at launch, and that's rightfully praised and commendable that they were able to take that success and faith the community put into them, and pour it right back into the game. Hello Games could have just called it a day after the game sold so well, and just tucked their tail between their legs and faded into obscurity/retirement, laughing at the "poor saps" that spent money on their unfinished game. They didn't do that. They released the game, and went right back to work addressing the many criticisms thrown at the current state of the game.

He had already said numerous times that they had a lot of post launch support they wanted to bring to the game a'la Minecraft, so that part was always expected. It was just unfortunate that the perfect storm of being a tiny team with an ambitious goal, a literal natural disaster, and dwindling funds all coalesced to make the release of the game a nightmare. If you thought it was a nightmare for you, as a consumer, it was an infinitely worse nightmare for the studio that just wanted to make an awesome game that met their own expectations, let alone the expectations of a ravenous fanbase.

Game development is hard. Sometimes soul-crushingly hard, and I'll always have empathy for stories like Hello Games. And I'll always respect a developer that manages to take it on the chin and turn it around. There aren't a lot that can do that, or have done it in the past. Hello Games took a nightmare of a development situation, and managed to turn it around. That's awesome.

I'd be interested in seeing a list comparing the "expected" launch day features, and the current list of actual, in game features they've added post launch. They put in a ton of work in getting No Man's Sky to where they want it to be, and yet they still aren't done adding to the game. I've been following its development since its reveal, and I've enjoyed it since launch, but it really has come a long way. I think people that haven't been following its progress, and that will approach the game in good faith, would be impressed at what they've turned it into. Definitely more than was promised in their initial reveal for sure.
  • Sean leaves cushy AAA job at Criterion
  • Sells his home to float a 4 person indie studio with his wife, a Lionhead developer and 3 of his friends
  • Creates 2 moderately successful indie games (Joe Danger 1&2)
  • Expanses studio slightly to just under a dozen people
  • Sections off 4 people to create a secret ambitious project called "project skyscraper" while the rest of the team supports and re-releases Joe danger on various other platforms like Mobile
  • This lasts for a whole year until the rest of the team is brought in
  • No Mans Sky, a game Sean was already nervous about showing because "people wouldnt understand it", is revealed to the world, on the worst Gaming Awards show in history at the time (VGX)
  • Was basically game of the show
  • Shortly after, Hello Games is destroyed by the Guildford floods (On Christmas Eve)
  • Sean described it as a total loss, but the game data was backed up off site. But he stated that "I'd be lying if I said there werent any set backs."
  • Months of silence. Then Sean shows up at Sony E3, the team revitalized, with Two new trailers
  • Then again at PSX 2014, again at E3 2015.
  • No Mans Sky delayed from its June 2016 release date into August.
  • Team crunches hard in the final weeks, running out of money with little-to-no extra support
  • Launches on August 9th 2016, a very different game. This is where we enter Conjecturesville
It's my belief at this point that much of the game that we were pitched was intact, but not ready. So instead of releasing a broken game, they chose to release an incomplete one. Sean went on record multiple times that each team member had their own build if the game on separate servers, and a master build of the game on a central server. The separate builds were for testing individual features preparing them for implementation to the main build.

I think they stripped out the incomplete features, down to a bare bones early access build, keeping the other features in the oven. most if these features have been implemented into the game already post-launch. Other promised features were scrapped.

One of these advertised features were "giant snakes". They were removed because they werent fun. That happens in video games. They also removed planet rotation and orbit because they focus-tested poorly. People didnt enjoy feeling lost after landing on a planet and then leaving. Stupid if you ask me, but whatever.

Since the game's launch, theyve added not only much of what was promised, but that only accounts for like 1/3 of the additional content the game recieved post-launch.

We also got
  • Base building
  • Owning freighters
  • 4 player co-op
  • Multiple vehicle types (4 land, 1 sea)
  • A 30 hour story campaign
  • A gigantic graphics overhaul (the game looks wildly different now aesthetically)
  • Third person view angles with FOV sliders
  • Exotic ship types
  • Many New planet types
  • Expanded trading and Galactic map enhancements
  • Combat overhaul
  • Xbox launch, and PS4 Pro / HDR support, Graphics improvements.
Were also getting
  • Full VR support
  • MMO like No Man's Sky Online mode
  • As of yet unannounced 3 pillar of the new upcoming update
All of this for FREE. I've been with this game day one. I was PISSED at launch. But Sean and this crew doesnt strike me as the type that would blatantly lie. By ommission maybe? Absolutely. But I dont believe they deserve the ire, death threats, and stigma they got. By people who dont know the what's and the whys and dont care to. But that's the internet.

Last edited:

NoUse4AName

Banned
Feb 5, 2019
All of this for FREE. I've been with this game day one. I was PISSED at launch. But Sean and this crew doesnt strike me as the type that would blatantly lie. By ommission maybe? Absolutely. But I dont believe they deserve the ire, death threats, and stigma they got. By people who dont know the what's and the whys and dont care to. But that's the internet.

I mean....is nice that the game is now great, nobody deserves death threats or anything like that for any reason. But the guy makes crazy mistakes the fact that hi sold his house or whatever doesn't mean that we need to forget about what he did, and the fact that we talk about it doesn't mean that anybody here hate sean Murray

Saying that Murray actually did Lie is not something about hate or anything like that, that's a fact. I don't hate the guy I don't know him but he is not the best one to give advice on this matter because he mess up his own game pretty damn bad. I don't know how somebody thinks that is a good idea to stay quiet when you are selling something that is not even close to the final product that you promise to deliver.

Why are you people defending and talking about how many contents he is given away for "free"...tbh did you expect people to pay more money for the content that he has been releasing for 3 years to fix the game? and we should be cheering about that or forget and not talk about it?

C'mon

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
legacyzero I think you should add Pro/Xbox 4K/HDR patches and ports.

Massive companies like Rockstar and Capcom haven't done this for ongoing games like GTAV Online and Street Fighter V so i feel this is worth mentioning here.

MattEnth

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA
I'm a bit surprised to find so many people offering Hello Games the benefit of the doubt.

No Man's Sky wasn't a "bad launch." It was outright false advertising. People on this forum get outraged over slight visual downgrades (remember the Spider-Man puddle), but are willing to look past Hello Games' errors because "hey, they're indie"?

What Sean Murray did was not acceptable or OK. The idea that "staying silent after launch" can fix anything is ridiculous -- he should have, and still should, apologize for misleading consumers.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

It's also one of those things that makes opening up shows like E3 to the public a little scary. It's not that the industry is trying to be elitist by not allowing the public access to events like that, it's that many projects at E3 are still in development, and that shit can change at the drop of a hat. A mechanic or feature that's working nicely in a small vertical slice of the game may not play as well or be fun when the whole picture is put together, so maybe the team tries to scramble and rework it so it works, but sometimes the hard thing has to be done, and the feature gets scrapped.

I remember being QA on a title ages ago that had whole levels cut from the game because they just weren't working on a gameplay level, as well as a technical level (crashes, map holes, etc etc). Funnily enough, those levels are still referenced in dialogue later in the game. Lol

Most of the industry folks at shows like E3 understand that what they're seeing isn't going to be 100% indicative of the finished project, so there's tempered expectations when seeing them.

I think, aside from Sean Murray just not being well versed in PR, and not enjoying public speaking (I can empathize; I hate it too. Hell, I hate giving presentations at my job about characters we're working on, but it's part of my job, and I'm trying to improve in that area), as well as probably a naive belief that maybe his team would have been able to pull all of it off in the time frame they had before launch.

Considering where the game is at now, I think it's 100% clear that this was the game they wanted to make, but many circumstances out of their control forced their hand. It happens. Does it excuse some of the mistakes and missteps he made prior to launch? No, but it certainly puts it in context, and I sympathize and understand where they were coming from. I enjoyed NMS for what it was at launch, and I've sunk over a hundred ninety hours into it since release, and I think it's a delightful game. It's not for everybody, but no game is.

I just don't think it's worth the energy to hold onto such seething hatred for a botched launch. If you passed on the game, fine. If you bought the game and feel deceived and scammed, fine. But at some point you just have to let it go and move on. I've certainly been burned by games in the past. It sucks, and it's awful and frustrating, but I could barely recall most of them at this point. But people are certainly free to feel how they feel, whether they love NMS or loathe it.

MattEnth

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA
I just don't think it's worth the energy to hold onto such seething hatred for a botched launch. If you passed on the game, fine. If you bought the game and feel deceived and scammed, fine. But at some point you just have to let it go and move on. I've certainly been burned by games in the past. It sucks, and it's awful and frustrating, but I could barely recall most of them at this point. But people are certainly free to feel how they feel, whether they love NMS or loathe it.

It's not about a "botched launch." It's about the lack of ownership.

Sean signed off on those trailers. He did those interviews. He claimed features would be there that clearly weren't. At no point has he owned up to what, to many, were complete misrepresentations.

He knew what he was doing when he elected to not send any review copies prior to launch.

I'm not harboring "seething hatred for a botched launch" - I'm laughing at one of the most dishonest people in the industry trying to spin his actions in a positive light.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
  • Sean leaves cushy AAA job at Criterion
  • Sells his home to float a 4 person indie studio with his wife, a Lionhead developer and 3 of his friends
  • Creates 2 moderately successful indie games (Joe Danger 1&2)
  • Expanses studio slightly to just under a dozen people
  • Sections off 4 people to create a secret ambitious project called "project skyscraper" while the rest of the team supports and re-releases Joe danger on various other platforms like Mobile
  • This lasts for a whole year until the rest of the team is brought in
  • No Mans Sky, a game Sean was already nervous about showing because "people wouldnt understand it", is revealed to the world, on the worst Gaming Awards show in history at the time (VGX)
  • Was basically game of the show
  • Shortly after, Hello Games is destroyed by the Guildford floods (On Christmas Eve)
  • Sean described it as a total loss, but the game data was backed up off site. But he stated that "I'd be lying if I said there werent any set backs."
  • Months of silence. Then Sean shows up at Sony E3, the team revitalized, with Two new trailers
  • Then again at PSX 2014, again at E3 2015.
  • No Mans Sky delayed from its June 2016 release date into August.
  • Team crunches hard in the final weeks, running out of money with little-to-no extra support
  • Launches on August 9th 2016, a very different game. This is where we enter Conjecturesville
It's my belief at this point that much of the game that we were pitched was intact, but not ready. So instead of releasing a broken game, they chose to release an incomplete one. Sean went on record multiple times that each team member had their own build if the game on separate servers, and a master build of the game on a central server. The separate builds were for testing individual features preparing them for implementation to the main build.

I think they stripped out the incomplete features, down to a bare bones early access build, keeping the other features in the oven. most if these features have been implemented into the game already post-launch. Other promised features were scrapped.

One of these advertised features were "giant snakes". They were removed because they werent fun. That happens in video games. They also removed planet rotation and orbit because they focus-tested poorly. People didnt enjoy feeling lost after landing on a planet and then leaving. Stupid if you ask me, but whatever.

Since the game's launch, theyve added not only much of what was promised, but that only accounts for like 1/3 of the additional content the game recieved post-launch.

We also got
  • Base building
  • Owning freighters
  • 4 player co-op
  • Multiple vehicle types (4 land, 1 sea)
  • A 30 hour story campaign
  • A gigantic graphics overhaul (the game looks wildly different now aesthetically)
  • Third person view angles with FOV sliders
  • Exotic ship types
  • Many New planet types
  • Expanded trading and Galactic map enhancements
  • Combat overhaul
Were also getting
  • Full VR support
  • MMO like No Man's Sky Online mode
  • As of yet unannounced 3 pillar of the new upcoming update

Thanks for compiling this. I've been following the game since it's reveal, and have also been there since day 1. I pretty much devoured every little bit of information I could dig up about the game and Hello Games during leadup to launch, and even before the game released, I'd obsessively watch the live streams that people who got the game early were posting. I guess I wasn't pissed like many others, because I tempered my expectations accordingly. I had an idea of what I was getting Day one, and figured that if successful, they'd build on it. That's not always the case, but it was fortunate that Hello Games were eventually able to deliver.

I had no doubt that "promised features not there day one" existed in some form, but time, money, deadlines, an impatient publisher more than likely not pleased the game had to be delayed at all forced their hand, and they released the most stable build of the game they had, holding off on incomplete features because a model sued feature is better than a poorly implemented one.

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly they should do it more like Microsoft did after the failure of a launch Halo MCC had.

They realized how bad it was, then put resources in to fix things. They've had delays from their original estimates (like with the PC version's beta tests recently IIRC), but they let the fans know what's going on and if there's delays.

Granted, publishers actually have to put in resources and money to do that, instead of skeleton crewing the backup team and letting it die off.

legacyzero

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean....is nice that the game is now great, nobody deserves death threats or anything like that for any reason. But the guy makes crazy mistakes the fact that hi sold his house or whatever doesn't mean that we need to forget about what he did, and the fact that we talk about it doesn't mean that anybody here hate sean Murray

Saying that Murray actually did Lie is not something about hate or anything like that, that's a fact. I don't hate the guy I don't know him but he is not the best one to give advice on this matter because he mess up his own game pretty damn bad. I don't know how somebody thinks that is a good idea to stay quiet when you are selling something that is not even close to the final product that you promise to deliver.

Why are you people defending and talking about how many contents he is given away for "free"...tbh did you expect people to pay more money for the content that he has been releasing for 3 years to fix the game? and we should be cheering about that or forget and not talk about it?

C'mon
Not my point. It's about intent. Folks in this thread (and over the last 3 years) are out here thinking Sean had the intent on blatantly and egregiously misleading yall while twisting his mustache and going Mwaaaahahahah.

It's not that simple. But I'm not surprised folks feel that way while drinking up wholesome cynical content from negativity YouTube trends. I hardly believe a man who sold his home after leaving a AAA studio job with a mega publisher set out to deliberately mislead you people. Theres more to it that that.

I think we can absolutely accuse Sean Murray of lying by omission. Sure.

But he didnt set out with that intent and I'll defend that vehemently. Theres just no evidence of cynical motivations IMO

legacyzero I think you should add Pro/Xbox 4K/HDR patches and ports.

Massive companies like Rockstar and Capcom haven't done this for ongoing games like GTAV Online and Street Fighter V so i feel this is worth mentioning here.
Done.

To be fair, this was done shortly after the Pro launched and well before One X. Where as games like GTAV are legacy titles I'm not sure why they havnt.

WHERES MY PRO PATCH FOR BLOODBORNE, FROM?!

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Not my point. It's about intent. Folks in this thread (and over the last 3 years) are out here thinking Sean had the intent on blatantly and egregiously misleading yall while twisting his mustache and going Mwaaaahahahah.

It's not that simple. But I'm not surprised folks feel that way while drinking up wholesome cynical content from negativity YouTube trends. I hardly believe a man who sold his home after leaving a AAA studio job with a mega publisher set out to deliberately mislead you people. Theres more to it that that.

I think we can absolutely accuse Sean Murray of lying by omission. Sure.

But he didnt set out with that intent and I'll defend that vehemently. Theres just no evidence of cynical motivations IMO

Done.

To be fair, this was done shortly after the Pro launched and well before One X. Where as games like GTAV are legacy titles I'm not sure why they havnt.

WHERES MY PRO PATCH FOR BLOODBORNE, FROM?!

Oh man, I'd love a Pro patch for Bloodborne. It's probably still my favorite PS4 title, and I have a lot of favorite PS4 titles . 😂😂

Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes I wonder if it's me. I devoured every bit of content about no man's sky before release, watched every video, read every article and tweet. The game I got was exactly the game is was expecting.

It's still surprising to me that so many people apparently got something entirely different and didn't get half the stuff they were expecting. Maybe I missed some stuff, but I don't think so. And the idea that HG and Murray were scam artists is patently absurd.

So on topic, I think silence was the best policy for HG given the size of the team and the ferocity of the ire against them. There was literally nothing they could have said that would have appeased the angry mob - I mean look, 3 years later and people on here are still super pissy about it, it's pathetic. At the time, HG did absolutely the right thing by disengaging from the negativity.

Is silence the best policy for Anthem though, not sure - but if you're going to communicate you need to be very sure you can deliver. FO76 as far as I know has hit every goal and deadline that Bethesda claimed, so all good. Anthem though, I think their roadmap has been missed? Which to me erodes confidence more than a wall of silence could.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington

C'mon

You act like he killed your baby. He didn't put out a game in a state you were happy with. They ahve continued to work on it and improve it. This isn't something that "we must remember to keep hating him cause he did such a horrible thing".

It's a game. It didn't live up to expectations (for some people who honestly I think some people had really wrong expectations anyways and just wanted to hear what they wanted the game to be). He didn't set up to scam us. He did make some communication errors (he should have never told what all they were promising and specifics and just kept it to a general what they were trying to do. As people said, there's a reason most game companies don't give out much about the game that early on in development). True, there was one time he did outright lie (about their still being a chance of seeing others in the game when it was obvious he should have known by then it wasn't in the game... even after the game was out).

But you know what? It's really not as huge a deal as people have made it out to be. It's a game. You could have gotten a refund if you were that upset. Or not bought it if you waited instead of pre ordering. It's fucking ridiculous there are still people this hung up on it (people who admittedly didn't buy the game or got a refund so they aren't even out any money so they didn't even lose anything!!!!). If it pisses you off you should ahve moved on by now! Instead it's taken years for anyone to be able to talk about the game without some one coming in telling us we need to remember "he lied!". And still you hear it some (to be fair, this thread though is about him talking about how to handle this. And as I said before, I really think he needs to listen to his own advice before he even made that statement).

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Sometimes I wonder if it's me. I devoured every bit of content about no man's sky before release, watched every video, read every article and tweet. The game I got was exactly the game is was expecting.

It's still surprising to me that so many people apparently got something entirely different and didn't get half the stuff they were expecting. Maybe I missed some stuff, but I don't think so. And the idea that HG and Murray were scam artists is patently absurd.

So on topic, I think silence was the best policy for HG given the size of the team and the ferocity of the ire against them. There was literally nothing they could have said that would have appeased the angry mob - I mean look, 3 years later and people on here are still super pissy about it, it's pathetic. At the time, HG did absolutely the right thing by disengaging from the negativity.

Is silence the best policy for Anthem though, not sure - but if you're going to communicate you need to be very sure you can deliver. FO76 as far as I know has hit every goal and deadline that Bethesda claimed, so all good. Anthem though, I think their roadmap has been missed? Which to me erodes confidence more than a wall of silence could.

No, it's not just you. My personal theory after seeing the whole uproar start was it was mostly people who wanted multiplayer even though he kept saying it wasn't (for years). I remember having to keep trying to tell people this wasn't going to be an MP game and them arguing back that it would be. And suprrise, it wasn't, and everyone was pissed about that. Sure, they claim it was the other more minor stuff not in the game, but they only brought that up when people like me tried to point out he never said it was going to be an MP game and that online aspect was not supposed to be a way to play multiplayer (he even said he might introduce multiplayer later). To further my argument that this was really all about MP, it wasn't until he started adding real MP did a lot of the haters back down and you see people say, "He's finally making it right". They ignored all the other little things they claimed to care about that still aern't in the game. That stuff was only important to try to prove they had a reason to be upset.

(No, I'm not saying every single person upset was about that, but I am saying the main uproar was really about the multiplayer aspect).