• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Stumbled upon this tweet by Hello Games, that celebrates the game's fourth anniversary at the same time that teases one more DLC.
And man, all that hype culminating in the disastrous launch was quite an event, and since that day they have done a wonderful work to fix the game while adding new and good content(of course it would have been better to release the game at a decent state, but it is what it is), curious to see what they will do in the next gen, either with No Man's Sky or a new game.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
one of the craziest comeback stories this gen

the way hello games got eviscerated at launch was something so props to them for sticking it out and transforming the game into something great

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
NMS is the perfect example of not dooming a game too quickly. As long as the developer keeps on working, you can turn it around. Not always guaranteed but the whole idea that a bad game is bad forever, just ain't true.

Now if only they could do the same for Anthem lol.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Man I bought that game day 1, and I def will come back to it at some point they totally made a huge turn around after all the stuff That went on. Happy for them.
NMS is the perfect example of not dooming a game too quickly. As long as the developer keeps on working, you can turn it around. Not always guaranteed but the whole idea that a bad game is bad forever, just ain't true.

Now if only they could do the same for Anthem lol.
Yeah games now can totally be fixed over time.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Already? Feels like yesterday.

Good game I finally went back to in June after having only played ~3 hours of the vanilla game at launch. While I think it's still very much that same game, building a base and being able to explore via vehicles/riding creatures was pretty awesome. Easy Platinum too!

The jump to PS5 will do wonders for this game.

Definitely, on a base PS4 I was kinda surprised at the pop in of environment details like grass.

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
I poke around the game at every new big update to see what's up even though I know it is definitely not a game for me.

Super happy for HG. The pre launch was sure a corny on some parts but the horrible shit they had to go through was just embarrassing

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
It was (and still is) an early access game and I mean that in a flattering way - it has gained features, content and general improvements in a similar fashion to other long-term early access successes.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed it even at launch for what it was. I had a good time with it for the first few weeks. They definitely overhyped the game and set expectations way too high, but I still thought the seamless travel between planets was impressive as hell at launch even if the planets were pretty barren. They've of course done an amazing job turning the game around since then too.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I had it at launch and it wasn't a bad game, but it just got very old very quickly. There was so little to do.

However, I will say that I am damn impressed with how Hello Games has revived the game and continually delivers great content.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
It's pretty amazing how far this game has come. I loved it even at launch (as a kid growing up in the 80's, I always dreamed about playing a game where you could travel from 1 planet to the next, and roam around exploring). Even in its bare bones launch state, I loved No Man's Sky.

Considering how small their team was, the flood that wiped out their offices, and money running out, I can't help but feel sorry for launch turned out, but shit happens, and game development is fucking hard. Like, seriously. It's not a case of "press button to make game." The smaller the team, and the more limited the resources, the harder it is.

The turnaround Hello Games orchestrated with this game is such an underdog story. They could have taken the money and ran, but any developer that has a true passion for creating games wouldn't have just sat there and let their reputations and livelihoods go down the drain. Turning that reputation around is such a herculean task, the fact that Hello Games were able to do so is remarkable. The hate Hello Games got after launch was really sad to see. No developer, especially a small, indie studio, sets out to fuck over gamers. The risk is too great, even if the game sells gangbusters (which NMS did). I have a ton of respect for the Hello Games crew for weathering the blowback, putting their heads down, and pouring the financial success of NMS back into the game to become the game they always wanted it to be (and then some; like, seriously, what the game is now is so far beyond what those early trailers promised).

Looking at NMS year 1, and NMS year 4 is inspiring. I hope they continue to iterate on the game in the next generation of hardware. I'm eager to play it on the PS5! I'm hoping with the added horsepower of the new machines, they'll be able to expand it even more!

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Loved it on Day 1, love it now. Can't wait to see what they have in store for next gen.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
The jump to PS5 will do wonders for this game.

Sadly, I don't think it will, unless they release a stand alone version for next gen consoles that doesn't interact with the previous versions of the game. Remember that it's all persistent & has crossplay. Things could get really fucky if one version has wildly different terrain, weather, and environmental features, compared to the others.

Frankly, I'd just be happy with some lighting improvements, frame rate improvements, and most of all: VR improvements.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
A lot of games came out 4 years ago
There's something special about this game, though. I downloaded it recently on Game Pass and have played 0 minutes, but everything from its development, its hype, its pre-launch marketing, its post-launch criticism, and its journey back to being a product that people love is a triumphant story. The anniversary of a game like No Man's Sky is far more interesting than the anniversary of a game that had a normal launch and normal moments. That No Man's Sky launch was a cultural moment in gaming. It was weird ... and every year it's fun to look back at the journey Hello Games has taken. And again, I have zero skin in the game. No minutes played yet, and the story still fascinates me.

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone's talking about how the team have turned it around, but would anyone be generous enough with their time for a quick rundown on what the updates has done for the game. More world/creature diversity, weapon types, ways to play?

I had a decent time flying around and grafting some crafting in the OG PC version but definitely tempted to jump in on PS5 for some VR space action.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
It was fine at launch. Sold quite well too I believe. They've done well with the big updates though. All free too. The issue I have is they bring out updates and they cause so many issues, like the recent one which was causing crashes.

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Sadly, I don't think it will, unless they release a stand alone version for next gen consoles that doesn't interact with the previous versions of the game. Remember that it's all persistent & has crossplay. Things could get really fucky if one version has wildly different terrain, weather, and environmental features, compared to the others.

Frankly, I'd just be happy with some lighting improvements, frame rate improvements, and most of all: VR improvements.

I'm talking about performance, visuals, draw distance, foliage density, VR, ect...

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Everyone's talking about how the team have turned it around, but would anyone be generous enough with their time for a quick rundown on what the updates has done for the game. More world/creature diversity, weapon types, ways to play?

I had a decent time flying around and grafting some crafting in the OG PC version but definitely tempted to jump in on PS5 for some VR space action.

List of improvements you might like to read of here...

www.playstation.com

404 - This page doesn't exist.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Loved it from the get go. Not too happy with the direction they went after but understand that's what the majority wanted.

Was such a surreal lonely experience.

DarkSora

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Did the finally add multi-player and have it so players can see each other on the same planet?

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
I played No Man's Sky for 100 hours and mostly had a very fun time

Then they made the entire game playable in VR - for FREE - and I played it for another 100 hours.

I certainly got my ÂŁ40 worth and then some.

As long as they keep giving us fresh content, I'll keep coming back to this remarkable game.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I'm talking about performance, visuals, draw distance, foliage density, VR, ect...

Most of those are possible, but foliage density probably won't change, as it would alter the experience between players on different platforms.

If / when this get's a PS5 patch, I think the most we can expect will be a frame rate and resolution bump, and possibly some big improvements to draw distance (specifically the LOD systems).

Personally, I'd really like to see some more visual flairs down the road, things like lightning, god rays peering through dust storms, cyclones, etc. Just more oomph on the weather side of things to really sell the different biomes. Heck, I'd kill for some heat waves on those hot planets.

Nov 14, 2017

It's basically what the hype machine wanted it to be before launch, and then some.

There's full cross-platform multiplayer, a multiplayer hub zone you can summon on demand, permanent shareable bases, crafting, freighters including having your own fleet of freighters, a couple of story lines, and underwater bases. That's a brief overview, I'm sure I missed loads.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Ah, yeah, I forgot about the old forums... it was a pretty tight community as I remember it.

Very tight, but always welcoming to newcomers. We did have a few bust ups now and then, but it was a great place for player reviews, competitions, tech help, and suchlike. Made many friends through the PS forums. Anywho, probabaly going too far off topic, so I'll add that NMS has a superb photo mode that people should have a go at using.

Feb 5, 2018
I do hope there is some better generation. I've been wanting to get back into this game after some time, but it still unfortunately feels like you see all of the generated creatures and environments 10-20 hours in. Yes, I understand that there are some rare anomalies much later on, but a lot of that isn't even really procedural. The weird worlds, especially towards the center are just a pre-scripted environment that has generated terrain.

IMO, they need to have a lot more "parts" in their procedural generation, especially with the fauna and planets.

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
Loved it from the get go. Not too happy with the direction they went after but understand that's what the majority wanted.

Was such a surreal lonely experience.

Yeah, now it's every time you enter space there is a barrage of freighters popping in front of you immediately and the radio is going off every 5 seconds. I do really like what they did with some of the larger mysterious narrative missions though and the improved planet variety is incredible. Overall I still really love it.

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Very tight, but always welcoming to newcomers. We did have a few bust ups now and then, but it was a great place for player reviews, competitions, tech help, and suchlike. Made many friends through the PS forums. Anywho, probabaly going too far off topic, so I'll add that NMS has a superb photo mode that people should have a go at using.

Photo mode is great - the fact that you can just point to a place in the sky and stick the sun there is awesome - but I have to confess, I've hardly used it. I'm just not a big in-game photographer. I've sunk about 150 hours into NMS and I've maybe taken a half a dozen photos.

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
Loved the game from day 1. I understand Sean said some things when asked in interviews that went a bit further than what the game offered, but the games main loop was still and mostly remains aligned with the same ideas.

An amazing game and one of my favorites from this gen.

The BEST example for DLC and added content to game, and this even after they made up for what people expected. I really hope they keep it going to next gen. Having some expansion give you control to make your own adventure would be insane and awesome.

Maybe a next gen graphics/performance patch too

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
One of the most memorable moments in gaming this gen for me was the first time I went through the atmosphere of the first planet to the space,unfortunately the game was mediocre and a disappointment,but I had a few hours of enjoyment,stopped playing after a few days of play time when I got tired of doing the same thing over and over again in an infinite and meaningless loop, but I saw the potential, it seems that finally the game is great, I still have my copy, maybe one day I give another chance.

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
Comeback of the generation? The backlash was immense at launch. If I remember correctly, the studio went silent for a long while and clearly listened to the feedback.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Photo mode is great - the fact that you can just point to a place in the sky and stick the sun there is awesome - but I have to confess, I've hardly used it. I'm just not a big in-game photographer. I've sunk about 150 hours into NMS and I've maybe taken a half a dozen photos.

Shame on you, lol.

Also, another great thing in this game is creative mode. Not having to grind stuff, and just exploring, is blissful.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
At launch I was underwhelmed but content.

Now, im trying to decide if No Man's Sky or Bloodborne is my GOTG

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
Huh, what weird timing on my part. I grabbed the game at launch, but only played it for a week before getting bored and selling it. But then with all the updates, I started getting interested again, found it on sale at Amazon, and that copy just arrived today. Looking forward to diving back in, especially on PSVR.