• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
I think they should introduce buyable cosmetics down the line, that would really support this for a very long time. NMS is going to be Star Citizen in 5 years if they continue the support.
I could totally see a graphic overall and a few more mechanics and them giving away some massive awesome spaceships instead of costing a few K for free and people being like shit, we got this for less than £40 (I got it on sale for probably half that, barely played it (Yet) and feel it was a good purchase).

If they introduce a FPS more action mode for free lol all round.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
Combat overhaul? Kinda has me curious.

Never played more than 20 minutes of this game (not huge into survival/crafting) but I just got a VR headset a few weeks ago and I'm tempted to try out NMS in VR.

Is there a lot to do in the game these days if i'm not so into gathering resources?

Feenix

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2017
I always get giddy when they do these updates but find it hard to actually jump back in. The Encounters often are what suck me in for a bit... did they say when the new one starts?

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Will need to see more combat videos before I decide to jump back in. Last few times the game had updates that "overhauled" certain gameplay aspects I highly disagreed with the use of the word overhaul.

With NMS I've decided to only jump back in every handful of updates or so.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Is there a lot to do in the game these days if i'm not so into gathering resources?

There are missions. You can pick them up from space stations, but they are very light.
There are some story threads to go through - two big ones, several smaller ones that centre around base building.

Resources are king though. They are core of everything - being able to explore more, do more, you'll always want to gather more stuff. It CAN get to a point where you're rich enough to just buy things though.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
There are missions. You can pick them up from space stations, but they are very light.
There are some story threads to go through - two big ones, several smaller ones that centre around base building.

Resources are king though. They are core of everything - being able to explore more, do more, you'll always want to gather more stuff. It CAN get to a point where you're rich enough to just buy things though.

thanks

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Oh no.

Sentinel drones that follow you inside buildings will actually remember to attack you now. That's like my go-to sentinel cheesing strat, crap!

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
This update looks REALLY nice. The sentinals were always boring and annoying. This at least makes them more interesting and I like all of the other changes. Going from 6 companions to 18 is HUGE. I love this change.

One update I'm anticipating and hoping for is a creature update. To me, the creatures are not diverse enough. A lot of them lack any type of hair and for some reason most of them are this dark brown/dark green color. No Man's Sky needs a massive creature update to make the creatures look cooler.

Last edited:

Omanisat

Sep 25, 2018
North Bay, Canada
-Planetary combat in the Minotaur has been significantly improved. Changes include a significantly faster turn rate, the ability to backpedal, mobility and aim enhancements, and a dedicated combat camera.

The actual megaton news. The biggest knock against the Minotaur has away been it's battleship-like turning radius.

Corine

Nov 8, 2017
Has there ever been a game that's added so much content after release, for fucking free?

Also, I know this is crazy, but I have never wanted a game to have microtransactions more than No Mans Sky. I can't explain it.
Yeah a lot of games actually have as good or better support. Terraria and Bloons TD for example. Many others also.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
They should do like Ghost Ship Games (Deep Rock Galactic) and release some cosmetic-only DLC so that fans of the game have a way to continue supporting the devs.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
Has there ever been a game that's added so much content after release, for fucking free?

Also, I know this is crazy, but I have never wanted a game to have microtransactions more than No Mans Sky. I can't explain it.
Plenty of popular indie games have been regularly patched with new content for years on end without signs of it stopping anytime soon, not to mention all the big MP GaaS titles, but yes, NMS is certainly a pretty commendable high profile case.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
They should do like Ghost Ship Games (Deep Rock Galactic) and release some cosmetic-only DLC so that fans of the game have a way to continue supporting the devs.
The crazy thing is they have a cosmetic shop with its own currency that they regularly add to and they still give that shit away for free.

The absolute madlads

E-bite

Oct 24, 2018
New strat: dig a hole using the terrain manipulator, and then seal the entrance until your wanted meter goes down :)
Next Update patch notes:

-Sentinels can now use their own terrain manipulator tool and dig holes in planetary surface and find your ass wherever you go.

This is the next step in our journey, get fucked.
More will follow.
-Sean

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Next Update patch notes:

-Sentinels can now use their own terrain manipulator tool and dig holes in planetary surface and find your ass wherever you go.

More will follow.
-Sean
Yeah. I always dig a hole and quickly seal it behind me to get away.

But I am 100% confident this will be in a future update.

But remember, you still have to get the fuck out of there. Just because you're sealed away doesn't mean it can't see you. It just can't get to you.

tinyrakan

Banned
Dec 4, 2020
I have struggle to enjoy this game…
Does this game have a purpose to play ? Like story , Quest ..etc

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
Next Update patch notes:

More will follow.
-Sean

They did say that Sentinels now have explosive weapons which can make holes in the ground... I'm guessing the AI isn't good enough yet, but they have the technology!

I have struggle to enjoy this game…
Does this game have a purpose to play ? Like story , Quest ..etc

There is a main story questline that takes ~20-30 hrs. After you warp the first time an alien will contact you to kick off the story, but it's more of a tour through the game systems than anything else. There's also a few other shorter quest lines that are more focussed on specific features. I do enjoy the lore, but the game is really more of a sandbox. If you don't enjoy setting your own goals for exploration, base building, or money making then it might just not be your cup of tea as the game is definitely not for everyone.

catashtrophe

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I've never played NMS but with how many years they have been supporting it is this a GAAS or does it contain MTX coz if not I don't understand why it's been supported for so long.

They could have created a sequel with all this stuff.

Think I'll get this on PC after I'm done with Elden Ring

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I've never played NMS but with how many years they have been supporting it is this a GAAS or does it contain MTX coz if not I don't understand why it's been supported for so long.

They could have created a sequel with all this stuff.

Think I'll get this on PC after I'm done with Elden Ring
Not GaaS and no MTX, it just sells really well every time one of these updates drop

EvieFK8

Jun 21, 2019
What an amazing support this game has received throughout the years. I was there day one, and it was rough. They turned this rock into a diamond and they're releasing these huge updates for free!

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
part of me still wants to try this but when I think about it nothing about everything being procedural sounds fun to me at all. I should probably just try playing it anyway

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Reading NMS update threads is like like mindfulness positivity, it only brings good feelings and enhances your day (as I lay in bed feeling crap from covid) 🙂
Here's some more. There's a star system players are using to leave memorial messages to lost loved ones.
nomanssky.fandom.com

Mario Piccardi Memorial System

Mario Piccardi Memorial System is a star system. Mario Piccardi Memorial System is a star system in the Kepler region. The system is dedicated to the memory of late Qitanian Empire council member and Eissentam Qitanian Empire leader Mario Piccardi, known as Beacher/Beacher72/Tuxwizard. By PC...

GDGF

Oct 26, 2017
Switch users are gonna be eating good soon. Nice walking into all this after the growing pains.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Don't even understand how this game is still getting such heavy support. Clowned on it ages ago but also played it a ton when they expanded things out. It's wild they are still plugging away at it so significantly it's impressive but not something I would have ever expected given how rough a start it had.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
No microtransactions or DLC of any kind. The big reasons why they can keep doing this:
  • Hello Games are a small studio (like 2-3 dozen people) and NMS sold a crazy amount at launch. It's estimated that it sold upwards of 820,000 copies in 2016 on Steam alone. At $60. They're all pretty much set for life at this point.
  • The game also sells very well whenever there's a major update like this one. The game almost always makes it into the Steam Best Sellers list whenever a free expansion drops. The game's base price is also still $60 (and long since more than worth every penny), but it's discounted whenever there's an update, which also helps spur sales.
  • Excellent word of mouth. NMS is generally regarded as the videogame comeback story (alongside FF14, although that game was literally nuked and started over from scratch whereas NMS was gradually patched), and it's generated a ton of goodwill among players. Hell, I'm probably going to buy the Switch version when it pops up just to support the team and their ridiculously amazing commitment to the game.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
No microtransactions or DLC of any kind. The big reasons why they can keep doing this:
  • Hello Games are a small studio (like 2-3 dozen people) and NMS sold a crazy amount at launch. It's estimated that it sold upwards of 820,000 copies in 2016 on Steam alone. At $60. They're all pretty much set for life at this point.
  • The game also sells very well whenever there's a major update like this one. The game almost always makes it into the Steam Best Sellers list whenever a free expansion drops. The game's base price is also still $60 (and long since more than worth every penny), but it's discounted whenever there's an update, which also helps spur sales.
  • Excellent word of mouth. NMS is generally regarded as the videogame comeback story (alongside FF14, although that game was literally nuked and started over from scratch whereas NMS was gradually patched), and it's generated a ton of goodwill among players. Hell, I'm probably going to buy the Switch version when it pops up just to support the team and their ridiculously amazing commitment to the game.

I'd add to this that even on discount, I think the game only drops to 50% off nowadays, which is a sizable discount but not fire sale levels, so probably much more sustainable. I suspect that will be the standard sale price for the rest of the game's lifespan until active support finally ends, which may actually remove a bit of FOMO since the sale discounts are always the same and, like the updates, happen regularly.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
The Sentinels have always been kind of my least favorite aspect of NMS. I just get annoyed when I have to fight those damned things while I'm chilling just exploring a weird landscape and foraging for minerals, or when they're swarming around a sweet-looking base.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Whenever this game eventually shuts down, I'd LOVE to see a "Final state" disc, with not only the patches, but all the user-created stuff that has been made in it. Just a final single-player version.

Of course, that relies on pruning anything... unsavory... but who knows?

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
part of me still wants to try this but when I think about it nothing about everything being procedural sounds fun to me at all. I should probably just try playing it anyway
Same. The way it's meant to evoke 70s/80s optimistic sci fi sounds great for me, but everything being procedural means no hand-crafted level or creature design and that sounds immensely off-putting.

So I've been stuck in this undecided spot for a while. Maybe I should just try it on a deep sale.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
Whenever this game eventually shuts down, I'd LOVE to see a "Final state" disc, with not only the patches, but all the user-created stuff that has been made in it. Just a final single-player version.

Of course, that relies on pruning anything... unsavory... but who knows?

Sean Murray will keep on pushing minor updates to keep the redemption from ever stopping 😄

I remember starting the PS4 disc-version some years ago and then being met by a huge patch. I mean, I can't complaint but it's just kind of fun to think about what's actually on the disc. It's basically just a sketch of the game.

Will probably double dip to have it digitally on Switch if the performance is decent.