• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
Boy, I sure love getting 37 fps because there happens to be any amount of trees on a planet.
I visited a cold planet that had more trees peppering the landscape than I've ever seen in the game and the framerate plummeted into the teens.

Overall the game runs far worse than before and if this is the kind of detail they're going to push now then we're unlikely to ever see the kind of performance we had before; prior to Next I had fairly decent performance and could run the game at a higher resolution.

I love the new features but if I was given the choice I would rather go back to the old graphics/performance. The new visual improvements look nice but count for little when the framerate is so bad and I'm having to lose overall quality by dropping resolution (down from 1080p to 720p no less!) just to keep the game playable.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Anybody playing on the new experimental build? How's the memory leak issue?

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1080 Ti
8700k @4.6
32GB DDR4 @ 3600

Running at 1440p with everything maxed out except shadows which i have on high, locked 60 so far but I haven't been on a planet with lots of vegetation, enabling triple buffering in the Nvidia control panel got rid of the stuttering for me.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So I'm running a 1070 with Ryzen 7 1700 all stock and 16GB DDR 4. With some NVIDIA profile tweaks to vsync and triple buffering plus .ini tweaks I get capped 60 FPS. Everything set to max including FXA + TXAA though shadows low as they eat a lot and are useless.

I did set vram to 7GB though instead of 8 as full maxing and having anything else in the background causes system stuttering. Only problem is washed out textures now, anyone got advice on that?

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I actually don't mind the drops in framerate or general inconsistency, because the game is really starting to look like the E2014 trailer. *runs away*

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
So I'm running a 1070 with Ryzen 7 1700 all stock and 16GB DDR 4. With some NVIDIA profile tweaks to vsync and triple buffering plus .ini tweaks I get capped 60 FPS. Everything set to max including FXA + TXAA though shadows low as they eat a lot and are useless.

I did set vram to 7GB though instead of 8 as full maxing and having anything else in the background causes system stuttering. Only problem is washed out textures now, anyone got advice on that?

Delete all the files in the SHADERCACHE folder. Make sure you have the following settings:

<Property name="TextureDetail" value="Ultra" />
<Property name="GenerationDetail" value="High" />
<Property name="AnisotropyLevel" value="16" />
<Property name="TextureStreamingEx" value="Off" />
<Property name="UseHDR" value="false" /> (Unless you use HDR)
<Property name="TerrainQualityEx" value="High" />
<Property name="UseTerrainTextureCache" value="false" />
<Property name="UseArbSparseTexture" value="false" />
<Property name="EnableTessellation" value="false" />

If that doesn't work try lowering the vram setting to 4096.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
1080TI here and locked 60 FPS is impossible at 3440x1440 at max settings. Lowering shadow resolution to medium improves it by 3 or 4 FPS on average, but shadows far away start to flicker a lot.

I'm mostly getting 50 - 55, sometimes a locked 60 but also sometimes high to mid 40s. Game looks great but the performance surely could be better. G-SYNC is doing its magic but still noticeable.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
Holy shit that save editor is incredible.

Totally takes the headache out of moving slots around. You can generate seeds for different ships too if you wanna change the way your ships and freighters look (and their stats if you wanted, but that seems like cheating)

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Anybody playing on the new experimental build? How's the memory leak issue?
I tried the experimental build but it crashed while loading my saves 100% of the time.

I could join games, voice chat would work, it would cache shaders, but the moment it would try to transition from the starfield loading screen to the planet for gameplay it crashed. Every single time. I had to roll back in order to play.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
Delete all the files in the SHADERCACHE folder. Make sure you have the following settings:

I thought there is no HDR in the pc version?!

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't disable texture streaming (if that setting even does anything anymore).

It used to be that the game would fill up VRAM and then frame rate would tank (typically when getting into or out of the ship, after some length of play depending on the amount of VRAM available), requiring a restart in order to restore normal performance. Texture streaming was added to prevent that.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Finally managed to run it at solid 60fps at 1440p

Specs:
i5-4670K @ 4.4GHz
GTX 1080 8GB
32GB ram
SSD

I'm forcing adaptive vsync and triple buffering through Nvidia Control Panel.

Setting "NumLowThreads" to 0 helped a lot for some reason.

I'm running on the latest experimental build which fixes memory leak issues

HBAO can be a pain in some dense planets. Sometimes I turn it off.

Here's my settings file in case someone wants to try it:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Data template="TkGraphicsSettings">
<Property name="Version" value="2" />
<Property name="FullScreen" value="true" />
<Property name="Bordered" value="false" />
<Property name="Borderless" value="false" />
<Property name="Monitor" value="0" />
<Property name="MonitorNames">
<Property name="MonitorNames_00" value="0|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080|Generic PnP Monitor" />
</Property>
<Property name="UseScreenResolution" value="true" />
<Property name="ResolutionWidth" value="2560" />
<Property name="ResolutionHeight" value="1440" />
<Property name="VsyncEx" value="Off" />
<Property name="GSync" value="false" />
<Property name="ShadowDetail" value="Normal" />
<Property name="GenerationDetail" value="Normal" />
<Property name="ReflectionsQuality" value="Normal" />
<Property name="AntiAliasingEx2" value="TAA" />
<Property name="MotionBlurQuality" value="Off" />
<Property name="MotionBlurStrength" value="180.000000" />
<Property name="FoVOnFoot" value="100.000000" />
<Property name="FoVInShip" value="100.000000" />
<Property name="Brightness" value="128" />
<Property name="MaxframeRate" value="160" />
<Property name="NumHighThreads" value="4" />
<Property name="NumLowThreads" value="0" />
<Property name="TextureStreamingEx" value="Auto" />
<Property name="TexturePageSizeKb" value="64" />
<Property name="ShowRequirementsWarnings" value="true" />
<Property name="RemoveBaseBuildingRestrictions" value="false" />
<Property name="MouseClickSpeedMultiplier" value="0.500000" />
<Property name="AmbientOcclusion" value="HBAO" />
<Property name="UseHDR" value="false" />
<Property name="UseLightshafts" value="true" />
</Data>

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
The stutter seems to have almost gone on my end now, I guess that must be the update. Although the frame rate is a bit worse on some planets now, but its fine its playable now.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
After enabling vsync and triple buffering in the Nvidia control panel I'm getting a very stable 60fps at 1440p. Before it was constantly stuttering.

2700X
GTX 1080
16gb RAM

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND

Does the HDR value actually work here for HDR users?

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Finally managed to run it at solid 60fps at 1440p

Specs:
i5-4670K @ 4.4GHz
GTX 1080 8GB
32GB ram
SSD

I'm forcing adaptive vsync and triple buffering through Nvidia Control Panel.

Setting "NumLowThreads" to 0 helped a lot for some reason.

I'm running on the latest experimental build which fixes memory leak issues

HBAO can be a pain in some dense planets. Sometimes I turn it off.

Here's my settings file in case someone wants to try it:

Just tried this and it completely removed the hitching in my game. I think the FPS is lower, staying in the 30s while on foot, but it runs better flying on planet in the high 40s-50.
Thanks for this!

My Specs:

i5-6600k @3.5Ghz (I know, I should overclock)
AMD R9 380X 4GB
16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM
SSD

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been pretty lucky so far. Been to 2 planets and I've kept a really stable 60fps at all times but maybe it's because both were relatively barren planets, 1 desert like and 1 frozen. Playing on a mix of high and ultra settings (could try all ultra but I don't feel like pressing my luck yet), 16x AF, fullscreen with vsync on if that helps at all. The only quirk was the game defaulted to 30fps lock when I started but I switched it to max and it's been fine.

i7 6700k 4.0Ghz
gtx 1080
16gb ddr4
SSD

All at stock speeds.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Mmmmm, yesterday I got 60+ on everything, but today, on the same place, I rarely go over 45.
Really strange, maybe an update?

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
Think it's CPU bound? My 1080 doesn't do very well paired with an older i7 3770K even at 1080p. I have to lock it to 30 for consistency otherwise it jumps from the rare 60 to 40 or less.

On the starting planet since I started a new save.

Windows10, all OS and driver updates and so on obviously.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Think it's CPU bound? My 1080 doesn't do very well paired with an older i7 3770K even at 1080p. I have to lock it to 30 for consistency otherwise it jumps from the rare 60 to 40 or less.

On the starting planet since I started a new save.

Windows10, all OS and driver updates and so on obviously.
Believe it or not it's your GPU getting hammered. My GTX 1080 hits a staggering ~70% utilization running only at 1080/60, and that's not with maxed out settings.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
Believe it or not it's your GPU getting hammered. My GTX 1080 hits a staggering ~70% utilization running only at 1080/60, and that's not with maxed out settings.

70 percent isnt your gpu getting hammered. Most games will work fine at 100 percent utilisation, thats your gpu throwing out as many frames as it can with perhaps room to spare. 70 percent means you are cpu limited.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
70 percent isnt your gpu getting hammered. Most games will work fine at 100 percent utilisation, thats your gpu throwing out as many frames as it can with perhaps room to spare. 70 percent means you are cpu limited.
I think he means he is vsync / frame limiter limited at 60 and seeing 70% utilisation. So, GPU is getting hit hard.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
I think he means he is vsync / frame limiter limited at 60 and seeing 70% utilisation. So, GPU is getting hit hard.
Exactly. Running at 1080p and limited to 60 fps via RTSS, and GPU utilization is way higher than expected.

GamingRobioto

May 18, 2018
Exeter, UK
I was not able to get 60 frames consistently with any settings at 1440p, sadly. I'm pretty picky though, I wouldn't play on low. Even bringing shadows, reflections down, or disabling AA didn't give me solid framerate

Forget about constant 60fps. The game engine isn't optimized well enough for that so expect some bad dips in the fps. With a decent PC (i7/GTX 980ti or better) it's playable with most of the graphics maxed out at 1440p. Just have to lower Shadows and fiddle around with vsync settings.

I have bought the PC version now and I think it's probably the biggest difference I've seen in a long time between PC and console game. I'm not 100% sure what framerate I'm getting as I haven't stuck fraps up yet, I'll check when I get home from work later, but I'm getting smooth gameplay (had some screen tearing issues but solved those) and the game looks gorgeous compared to the extremely choppy PS4 Pro version. I've got a mix of high and medium settings.

My main issue is in 6 hours I've had four crashes... Too many really, always seems to be when I initiate landing on a planet.

Tankshell

Nov 1, 2017
Followed the tips in the op to mitigate stuttering + force borderless mode and game is now running very very nicely, almost no drops, no tearing @ 1080p/60 max settings.

Before that it was a crapshoot with frame drops and stuttering and terrible terrible screen tearing all the damn time.

Happy gaming!

FYI specs are:
Intel 6850K @ 4.1Ghz
EVGA 1080 SC (8GB)
16 GB DDR4

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
I have bought the PC version now and I think it's probably the biggest difference I've seen in a long time between PC and console game. I'm not 100% sure what framerate I'm getting as I haven't stuck fraps up yet, I'll check when I get home from work later,

If you're playing the Steam version, Steam has an option to add a small fps counter to the corner of the screen.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These tweak guides listed in the Op should NOT be used. They're full of misinformation that does no good. For one thing, the TexturePageSizeKb setting has nothing to do with your vRam and shouldn't be set to these ridiculous numbers, leave it where it is, you're actually doing nothing but making the game worse. Also, the NumHighThreads and NumLowThreads actually cause worse performance if you set them to your core/thread sizes.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyT...important_info_for_interlopers_having_issues/

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyT...s_highly_recommended_change_to_boost/e36ez1d/

I'm getting Crysis vibes with NMS where people were changing all sorts of setting that either didn't do anything or made things worse.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
These tweak guides listed in the Op should NOT be used. They're full of misinformation that does no good. For one thing, the TexturePageSizeKb setting has nothing to do with your vRam and shouldn't be set to these ridiculous numbers, leave it where it is, you're actually doing nothing but making the game worse. Also, the NumHighThreads and NumLowThreads actually cause worse performance if you set them to your core/thread sizes.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyT...important_info_for_interlopers_having_issues/

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyT...s_highly_recommended_change_to_boost/e36ez1d/

I'm getting Crysis vibes with NMS where people were changing all sorts of setting that either didn't do anything or made things worse.

Yup, very clear people don't know what they're talking about in those threads and just changing random shit hoping they work.