• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
20 hours in and still so very, very confused lol. its getting fun though! i love finding rare stuff just exploring weird planets. found some ancient item worth 2mil and i was ecstatic heh.

whats this about free cargo slots? how, where?

and ffs how should i proceed getting a new ship? really tired of the starter ship. do all the items transfer or do i lose everything in the ship's inventory?

argonsmash

Oct 25, 2017
Cargo slots are in your exosuit on the third tab. They carry/stack more than normal slots. You can get one each in the space station and the anomoly in each system you visit. Just go to the exosuit upgrade kiosk and click behind the vendor on the hologram of the exosuit and you can upgrade.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
20 hours in and still so very, very confused lol. its getting fun though! i love finding rare stuff just exploring weird planets. found some ancient item worth 2mil and i was ecstatic heh.

whats this about free cargo slots? how, where?

and ffs how should i proceed getting a new ship? really tired of the starter ship. do all the items transfer or do i lose everything in the ship's inventory?

You can trade ships by talking to NPCs at the station or trade posts. At the point of trade you can transfer all your resources but not tech and upgrade modules. Though you can dismantle your tech and get some of the cost back to build new tech on the new ship.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
how's VR on the rift performing these days?

It took me a ton of searching/tweaking, but it runs quite smooth for me now. I can put most settings on high with current configuration too, looks much sharper. I found some random dudes post (not the big ones on reddit which didnt help at all) and his settings were counterintuitive but somehow worked for both me and my friend. Drastically helped with hitching/fps issues. I'm happy to share the settings if anyone wants them.

980Ti/6700k

CKOHLER

Oct 25, 2017
It took me a ton of searching/tweaking, but it runs quite smooth for me now. I can put most settings on high with current configuration too, looks much sharper. I found some random dudes post (not the big ones on reddit which didnt help at all) and his settings were counterintuitive but somehow worked for both me and my friend. Drastically helped with hitching/fps issues. I'm happy to share the settings if anyone wants them.

980Ti/6700k
Please do. My friend is having trouble with his Rift S.

Lazlow

Oct 27, 2017

980Ti/6700k

Yes please; I am still trying to find the sweetspot for my set up

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Please do. My friend is having trouble with his Rift S.

My friend has an S too, I have a CV1, worked for both of us: NMS VR Settngs . Only the Nvidia and VR file settings matter as far as I'm aware (first two sections). After that he posted his flat settings and some other stuff that you can just ignore. The bolded graphics settings are the important in-game ones, according to the guy that wrote it. Make sure those settings are on high (once again counter-intuitive but somehow works); the others are your choice.

The settings seem weird (triple buffering on, for example), but it just works for me and my bud when nothing else did. Let me know if you/him have any questioins.

lake

Oct 27, 2017
I thought I'd finally check this out the other day but after alt-tabbing it came back on the wrong monitor. I went to the Steam forums and the consensus seemed to be that it's very buggy since the last update? Made me decide to wait yet more.

Also I was swayed to play Normal difficulty by forumers saying Advanced or whatever it's called is more farm-centric and you can get screwed by spawning on a nasty planet. But my friend suggested the challenge was fun, and you can just start a new game if you get a bad location. Thoughts?

Sejanoz

Nov 10, 2017

Omg, I missed the Hauler meetup?! Here's my big boy:

RWmtS0s.jpg

Been using it since 2017. Moves like an Ox but has 8 shields
Ohh, that brings back memories... It looks like my very first hauler.

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
Cargo slots are in your exosuit on the third tab. They carry/stack more than normal slots. You can get one each in the space station and the anomoly in each system you visit. Just go to the exosuit upgrade kiosk and click behind the vendor on the hologram of the exosuit and you can upgrade.

I found these in the anomaly, but not in the space stations. Are they anywhere near the portals?

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
When I try to go to the exosuit hologram at the Anomaly it's not popping up. Aren't we supposed to be able to buy storage from Selene here as well? I just jumped into a system I've never been to but it's not letting me upgrade

HalStep

Oct 27, 2017
I found these in the anomaly, but not in the space stations. Are they anywhere near the portals?

it is on the the opposite side,when you get out of your ship you normally go to the left side of the station where all the people walking around are.you want the opposite side and the exosuit booth is at the end by the device that lets you change your appearance.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New Experimental patch : https://steamcommunity.com/app/275850/discussions/0/1638669204735759579/

Experimental Branch 29/08
Hello everyone,

First of all, thanks so much to everyone who has already spent time playing BEYOND and letting us know about any issues you've experienced. It's overwhelming to watch thousands of players begin or continue their journey across the universe.

Steam users are able to opt-in to the Experimental Branch, where we have pushed a rapid patch to fix a number of crashes and other problems seen since release. We'll be rolling out these fixes to other platforms as soon as possible.

To play in Experimental, right-click on No Man's Sky from the Steam library page and select "Properties". Among the available tabs will be the "BETAS" tab. Enter "3xperimental" in the textbox and press "CHECK CODE", then select it from the dropdown menu.

The patch notes are as follows:

Experimental Branch 29/08
  • Fixed a number of input issues that were causing the free scaling and rotating of base parts to be unavailable (Unfortunately, this will require users with custom bindings to rework their settings)
  • Fixed an issue that was causing players in non-Euclid galaxies to lose or fail to add teleport destinations
  • Fixed a number of issues with the refiner UI, including the increase and decrease amount buttons not working
  • Fixed an issue that could prevent Portal Glyphs being learned from Traveller interactions
  • Fixed an issue that caused a long delay when handing in missions at the Mission Board
  • Added a number of missing base parts to the Construction Research Unit on the Space Anomaly
  • Fixed a number of snapping issues with Landing Pads
  • Fixed a number of snapping/placement issues with Medium Refiners
  • Fixed a number of base part snapping issues that occurred only in multiplayer.
  • Fixed an issue that was causing the planetary north and south pole markers to be invisible.
  • Improved the messaging when completing a mission at the Nexus, to make it more clear where you will be when you exit the Space Anomaly
  • Made a number of cosmetic improvements to automated creature milking
  • Fixed an issue that caused freighter upgrades to cost far too many upgrade tokens
  • Made the HUD markers for players in your group consistent colours
  • Fixed an issue that caused the teleporter on the Space Anomaly not to show screenshots of available bases
  • Fixed a number of visuals issues with the Space Anomaly teleporter UI, including tidying the presentation of mission icons
  • Fixed a number of issues around entering and exiting the Space Anomaly while on a Nexus mission
  • Fixed an issue where the Base Overseer would not start automatically in creative mode after placing a terminal
  • Fixed a number of cases of incorrect text when viewing faction rewards from the Mission Board
  • Fixed an issue where depots in Gek systems had an incorrect number of hitpoints
  • Added a specific HUD marker for biological horrors
  • Removed an incorrect warning about transferring cargo that could occur when purchasing a frigate.
  • Increased the power of the Blaze Javelin
  • Increased the power of the Infra-Knife Accelerator
  • Removed debug information from photo mode screenshots
  • Attempted to restore lost freighters to savegames that were affected by the freighter deletion bug
  • Fixed a crash that can occur when deleting legacy base parts.
  • Adjusted rendering settings to improve stability in dense areas on PC
As always, thank you to all players who use Experimental and take the time to report any issues you encounter.

Please note there is the possibility that experimental builds may introduce new issues that haven't been caught in test. We'd like to recommend that all players back up their save files, by making a local copy of the st_[userid] folder found here: %appdata%\HelloGames\NMS\

Note that we don't anticipate any issues here. However, performing your own backups could mean the difference between resuming play immediately, or waiting for the next patch.

If you decide to opt out of experimental and return to the main branch, we strongly recommend resuming from a backed-up save from the main branch, rather than taking an experimental branch save back to main, which may cause unexpected behaviour.

Feedback and reports of new bugs/issues being found on Experimental are welcome, so please reply to this thread or submit a ticket to https://hellogames.zendesk.com/ with the phrase "Steam Experimental" in the ticket title. If you are running any mods for the game, please list them along with your bug report.

Albin

Jun 29, 2018
Really loving this in VR, it's everything I hoped for.

Is there a way to increase the amount of resources from each plant/rock? I think I read that somewhere in the patch notes for Beyond but bone of the multi-tool upgrades seem to do the trick.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I thought I'd finally check this out the other day but after alt-tabbing it came back on the wrong monitor. I went to the Steam forums and the consensus seemed to be that it's very buggy since the last update? Made me decide to wait yet more.

Also I was swayed to play Normal difficulty by forumers saying Advanced or whatever it's called is more farm-centric and you can get screwed by spawning on a nasty planet. But my friend suggested the challenge was fun, and you can just start a new game if you get a bad location. Thoughts?

Survival (and Permadeath) are fun enough to play for sure, certainly it adds challenge especially to the opening hours. You can of course restart your initial planet if you didn't like it, generally though the starting planet is going to be a rough time regardless. It really makes you play sensible, keep still as much as possible so as to not waste life support and planning any trips with redundancies for your survival systems etc.

Having said all that, once you get established most of the risk lessens a lot, and then you're left with more of a grind for materials and with a universe lacking in "nice" planets to relax in. If base building is something you're interested in its more of a slog in Survival.

I enjoy the "standard" experience too much to enjoy Survival over it, despite my general love of such games.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017

The game has lots of innocuous bugs especially in MP, but it's honestly not too bad anymore, and if you're starting a fresh save you probably won't run into any of the more serious ones. There might be some graphical and performance hiccups but honestly that's just No Man's Sky and is not new with Beyond.

I personally recommend normal mode, because I find Survival doesn't actually add any challenge it just adds chores. The game is really easy either difficulty you play on once you get past the initial 10 hr learning curve imo. I find myself mainly playing for the thrill of exploring rather than actually caring at all about the challenge. I think it's best to at least learn the game on Normal then maybe restart on Survival if you find yourself craving the limiting feeling of the opening hours again.

Really loving this in VR, it's everything I hoped for.

Is there a way to increase the amount of resources from each plant/rock? I think I read that somewhere in the patch notes for Beyond but bone of the multi-tool upgrades seem to do the trick.

On the space anomaly the multi-tool vendor sells a blueprint that increases the number of resources mined by the mining laser by 50%.

gl0w

QA Tester
Verified
Mar 23, 2018
i just found this amazing planet with no life, low gravity and just with the sound of wind... so good feeling.

hacTdmU.jpg

4OeXAMi.jpg

3Wy7zda.jpg

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
it is on the the opposite side,when you get out of your ship you normally go to the left side of the station where all the people walking around are.you want the opposite side and the exosuit booth is at the end by the device that lets you change your appearance.

oh no, I've passed up so many of these!

Thanks for the info.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a real point to the cooking? All I can figure is that it's a complicated way of earning relatively few nanites from the dude at the Anomaly.

Jan 4, 2018
Sorry if this has been answered already, but what do the colored outlines represent when you place similar technology modules next to each other? For example, placing Phase Beam upgrades next to the Phase Beam causes the slots to become outlined green in the inventory menu.

Reloading like your weapon?
Yeah, just dump a round into the ground and then alternatively spam reload and melee back to back and you'll start zipping.

sugarless

Nov 2, 2017
People keep talking about haulers but how do you know your ship class name? Does it say somewhere? All I can see is the name, class and the few stats on the inventory screen.

sugarless

Nov 2, 2017
Sorry if this has been answered already, but what do the colored outlines represent when you place similar technology modules next to each other? For example, placing Phase Beam upgrades next to the Phase Beam causes the slots to become outlined green in the inventory menu.

They get bonus effectiveness when placed together. I'm not sure by how much or how to tell how much though.

sugarless

Nov 2, 2017
You can tell by the cockpit type.

Haulers have a boxy cockpit, explorers are bubble shaped and fighters are like an X-wing.
Ah OK. Then as I thought I have a hauler, along with one of each of the others in my freighter hanger cos I felt like collecting some cool ones. Putting aside tech upgrades do they really have better attributes in each area? Other than hauler cargo space. (I'm hauler monogamous since 2016 on every save btw)

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
Ah OK. Then as I thought I have a hauler, along with one of each of the others in my freighter hanger cos I felt like collecting some cool ones. Putting aside tech upgrades do they really have better attributes in each area? Other than hauler cargo space. (I'm hauler monogamous since 2016 on every save btw)
Yeah haulers have the most slots but are cumbersome, explorers have the best hyperdrive range and are nimble, fighters have most attack power.

Then there are exotic ships that have great stats across the board but (AFAIK) not many slots.

argonsmash

Oct 25, 2017
When I try to go to the exosuit hologram at the Anomaly it's not popping up. Aren't we supposed to be able to buy storage from Selene here as well? I just jumped into a system I've never been to but it's not letting me upgrade

Never had that happen. If it's a new system that you've never been to, you should get the upgrade.

Mitchman1411

Jul 28, 2018
Oslo, Norway
Has anyone been able to get an xbox controller working with the Oculus CV1 in VR? It refuses to acknowledge the controller, but it works fine in regular flat screen game play.

argonsmash

Oct 25, 2017
Well 3 hours and 20 warp jumps later and I have a full 48 cargo slots in my exosuit. Total cost=free !

That was a cool glitch. Going to make the game a lot more enjoyable now. Off to my ancient bones planet....I'm going to be very rich, very soon :)

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
NEW PS4, WHO DIS? :D

Got my new Pro today and I really lucked out here: CUH-7215B with Nidec fan! I haven't heard it go nuts yet and I've been playing NMS for about 1.5 hours. I had to go check on it to make sure the fan was actually spinning. It's pretty incredible.

Now, onto farming salvage so I can buy a decent fighter starship. ;)

MidweekCoyote

Mar 23, 2018
While I don't like the current Inventory system in general, I feel like it could use a bit of a logical/QoL update with regards to suit->ship->freighter spaces.

For example, Exosuit Cargo can hold 10 non-material items per slot, while the ship can only hold 5. Bumping the ship one to 10 would make sense, as well as increasing the Freighter spaces to 20 or more, mostly due to the sheer number of items you get/have to get rid of when using frigate missions often.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Well 3 hours and 20 warp jumps later and I have a full 48 cargo slots in my exosuit. Total cost=free !

That was a cool glitch. Going to make the game a lot more enjoyable now. Off to my ancient bones planet....I'm going to be very rich, very soon :)

I'm debating doing stuff like that. While having small inventory and stuff sucks, I feel like it will make it more rewarding when I eventually do earn stuff through regular play.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Yeah, I was doing a Glyph run anyway, so while I was on I decided to grab a few more cargo slots gratis.

NEW PS4, WHO DIS? :D

Got my new Pro today and I really lucked out here: CUH-7215B with Nidec fan! I haven't heard it go nuts yet and I've been playing NMS for about 1.5 hours. I had to go check on it to make sure the fan was actually spinning. It's pretty incredible.

Now, onto farming salvage so I can buy a decent fighter starship. ;)

Woop woop! thats the latest one that came with the RDR2 bundle as I recall, 7216B here in the EU. It's never gotten close to even idle loudness of my launch Pro, its miles better. I may eventually pick up God of War again as that was unplayable before :)

Don't forget to grab a ton of "kill sentinel" missions if you can before you start farming the scrap, since you get quite a lot of the corrupted ones spawning while doing so, and they're pretty easy and quick to dispatch.

While I don't like the current Inventory system in general, I feel like it could use a bit of a logical/QoL update with regards to suit->ship->freighter spaces.

For example, Exosuit Cargo can hold 10 non-material items per slot, while the ship can only hold 5. Bumping the ship one to 10 would make sense, as well as increasing the Freighter spaces to 20 or more, mostly due to the sheer number of items you get/have to get rid of when using frigate missions often.

Yeah once you get deep into frigate missions you fill up quick, I wouldn't mind something similar either. I'd quite like if you could "buy" a Cargo tab for the frigate too effectively the storage crates but without needing to build them on the frigate and displayed as a grid for easy management so you're not using the transfer menu or running back and forth between them.
Aside from early on I rarely use the storage crates as inventory management is too awkward, or rather I still "use" them in that they're full of stuff but stuff I rarely look at/use. The Colossus is a better storage system :D

魑魅魍魎

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know if you change freighters does the changes you made in the old one transfer to the new one? I have a few storage rooms with stuff in them and I want to find an S class freighter.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
i guess i should start building a base.

but where? i found my first moon, i think i wanna live there for now.

what materials should your home planet or moon have? does it really matter? im not gonna build a huge base, probably. what other things should i consider? i certainly dont want sentinels anywhere near lol, just had to bail on a beautiful tropical planet because i couldnt even mine anything in peace :(

MidweekCoyote

Mar 23, 2018

what materials should your home planet or moon have? does it really matter? im not gonna build a huge base, probably. what other things should i consider? i certainly dont want sentinels anywhere near lol, just had to bail on a beautiful tropical planet because i couldnt even mine anything in peace :(

I assume you mean your first base other than the one the main quest wants you to build?

Great thing is you can have more than one. It entirely depends on what the intended purpose of a particular one is. Is it to have easy access to a particular system or resource? For looks, comfort, storage? Starting an industrial base? Focus on creativity or practicality?

In any case, you needn't stress too much over it, as long as a particular one suits your needs. After all, you can freely warp between your bases at any point as long as you have the warp gate installed. To give you an idea, my first serious base was a half comfort/half-utility farm for Living Glass, the main money maker in older patches. It was on a cold planet with easy access to Frostwarts I could plant natively (useful for glass) and a lot of basic resources (like Plutonium/Di-Hi and iron/ferrite) all around. And I had a lot of storage containers to make my material storing life a lot easier.

Right now? I am jumping around between 3, each with their own uses. One is an industrial complex for Activated Indium on a cold hellhole that makes around 30mil units/h. The second one is integrated within a Trading Post in a rich system with a black hole. The last one is a quiet, barren and low-gravity planet I use as egg hunting grounds (each egg refines into 50 Nanites) and for some fun with exocrafts. And I'll probably make more at some point.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Try not to be too fussy, its easy enough to break down and build a base elsewhere when you find something better. Depending on the type you make you'll need a lot of ferrite and/or ferrite dust so having them close by won't come in wrong. Personally I just try and find a planet one can explore or gather in peace, not too hazardous and with plenty of opportunity for screenshots.
You can have as many as you like too so setup a small one for some early resource gathering then try a second where you can setup auto mining for unit generation etc. a Teleporter/solar panel/battery isn't too expensive to make once you've progressed a little so you can port between bases really easily.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
This changes everything.

Residual Goop will refine down to Nanites as well, well it refines to viscous fluids, which in turn refines to living slime then to Runaway Mould then finally to Nanites. 5:1 as I recall and you can often buy stacks of Goop in terminals too for very little units, 1500 - 3000 stacks are pretty common, I've had some stacks running away in my base while I do other things for when I find that new ship and need to rebuy all my upgrades.

sugarless

Nov 2, 2017
Yep. That (and because of what Lamptramp wrote) I find doing missions for Nanites pointless as they only give you like 250 for a ton of work. I make more within minutes of simply jetpacking all over low-grav planets.

Now if they could only finish the fix-patches to reintroduce quicksilver missions.
The nanite mission rewards really are ridiculously low now. I know some of them you would just add because you'll end up e.g. scanning 5 minerals or whatever in due course, but having to seek out fauna to kill or whatever is really not worth it.