• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
Sooo, we can mine rocks with the mining laser but can't mine minerals deposits sitting right on the surface.

And we can mine mineral deposits with the terrain manipulator but can't manipulate the terrain i.e. to flatten, lower or raise it...oookkaaay.

Are you listening Hello Games?? (I want to flatten some land for my base).

Always been that way. Use base parts to flatten the ground. Just beware that you might hit the terrain limit which you can only reset on PC.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
Am I the only one that never seems to land on planets that have oxygen available in any reasonable amount?

Someone mentioned that you could use the ships to boost your available funds, so I assumed you could just sell them somewhere.

Look for the plants that explode gas all over the place. You can get 4 oxygen harvets off of their bulbs then also mine them for 15-30 more oxygen. Each plant will net you ~80-100 oxygen total.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
This game in VR is the first VR game in a long time that's made me come back to it after a couple days. It's such a perfect chill experience for VR. Really hope a Pro patch is coming soon.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
So, I finally got my copy back and was able to play again since last year (according to my save). I decided to start a new game, and damn, I forgot how easy can one get lost in the game. 2hrs passed by in an instant for me lol

Orgun

Oct 27, 2017
Oh my god - I've been playing since Day 1 and have 100s of hours logged but I only just found out that you can build more than one Fleet control room to send out multiple lots of frigates!

argonsmash

Oct 25, 2017
Always been that way. Use base parts to flatten the ground. Just beware that you might hit the terrain limit which you can only reset on PC.

Yes, that's the only way...but there's no way to landscape an area around your base. Anyway, probably related to the terrain edit limits. Maybe it will be changed one day...after all, the tool is called "terrain maninpulator". With a name like that, Hello Games hopefully has plans for it in a future update.

dmoe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watched a tips and tricks video on youtube, had no idea changing the size of the terrain tool gave you more resources from deposits!
Whats the button to change size on xbox?

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Watched a tips and tricks video on youtube, had no idea changing the size of the terrain tool gave you more resources from deposits!
I think it's L1/R1 on PS4 so I guess LB/RB? Also does it actually give more resource, or just mine the area quicker?

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Left Bumper for smaller, right for larger, you won't see until you actually watch it mine, there no tool tip (except possibly when you select "create").

[edit]
Pipped by Number45 :P
It does give you significantly more resources, but it does drain your terrain manipulator fuel faster Scratch that not faster but as you're going slower it will be more expensive in fuel, is what I meant. I've never checked if its like for like, for example a full chamber of fuel on a large enough deposit on large spread would give the same as a narrow spread on a smaller deposit.... If you know what I mean.
I've always suspected that its largely equivalent, though its less bother than finding a second resource pile.

Last edited:

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah those ships look ace. I'm trying to setup my farm now, but getting perpetually distracted trying to snap modules together. :)

[edit] on that note...

YaF9lDZ.png

Trying to get the new landing pad to "snap" to anything is a massive chore, as well as getting the cuboid rooms to snap to the basic building blocks.
Another question I had as somebody who in the past never really paid attention to base building: Can only a few specific building parts be suspended in the air with those black support beams under it? Is it some automatic thing?

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
Another question I had as somebody who in the past never really paid attention to base building: Can only a few specific building parts be suspended in the air with those black support beams under it? Is it some automatic thing?
Be default building parts defy gravity and physics, not unlike Minecraft. Adding foundations is purely for aesthetics, which I always do, because the floating blocks always look weird to me.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

I'm not super experienced with base building to be honest but the prefabs and the cuboid rooms (as an immidiate example) allow the various foundation pillars to be attached after placement, but they have to be already floating for them to work, they're serve no "load bearing" purpose.
To get the floating I usually start with a cube at a highest point of local ground level and use that as my reference, building out from there til everything is hanging in the air exactly the same way bricks dont :) The foundations (and the basic arches and pillars) can then "pretty" up everything since it looks more natural then.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
I see, so those are foundations you can build additionally for it to look better. Thanks for the explanation!

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington

I wish they'd fix the fact I can't name things while I'm in VR... not acceptable to me to have to go to flat screen to do some stuff.

What I will give high kudos for is apparently I can drive their vehicles in VR and not get sick (I cannot do this in Elite dangerous. It's the one thing I Found that I cannot get myself used to and I inevitably get motion sick even if I drive slowly and carefully.. it's just too hard not to lose control and soon as I do... whoa. It made me wonder if I could handle it in NMS). We'll see if the cycle is the same way (it's faster and jumpier so I could see maybe it making me sick... but it seems the car stays stable on the ground and doesn't roll around. I kinda expect they changed the physics of it for VR cause I could swear it used to roll around easily and jump easily).

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I'm ignoring the Wiki for the time being due to not knowing how much it's been updated, but I was wondering if anyone know which of the rare items are best to harvest and sell?

I'm talking about gravitino balls, whispering eggs, humming sacs, etc.

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what's going on with the console patches? It's been nearly a week since the last one. 2.09.1 came out on PC on the 23rd and was pretty big. Would have thought it'd have been out on consoles by now.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why won't they release the patch for PS4? It's driving me nuts that using anything in the quick menu makes you jump.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm ignoring the Wiki for the time being due to not knowing how much it's been updated, but I was wondering if anyone know which of the rare items are best to harvest and sell?

I'm talking about gravitino balls, whispering eggs, humming sacs, etc.

I've not really been looking at the reddit/wiki either preferring conversation here. Among ourselves we seem to favour Ancient Bones and Salvage scrap for "farming" lucrative items similarly to Gravitino Balls (personally I've had more luck with salvage scrap, and there's a chance each one spawns a corrupted sentinel which is easy to dispatch and a great way to mass complete "kill sentinal missions").

Following that there seems to be a few making mineral mines for Activated Indium which goes for around 950 Units each or close to 10 million for a stack of 9999. If you are lucky enough to find a hotspot and also one close to a magnetic field hotspot for power, you can generate quite a lot per hour for next to no actual "work".

I've bodged up one on a hellhole planet on a class "B" hotspot, and only using solar panels (there isnt a EM hotspot near) with 12 miners and its making 7000 Activated Indium an hour (6,500,000 units). Others do much better. Once I can afford to upgrade to a decent Hauler, I'll look for less hazardous planet to explore for better hotspots to exploit.

I'd say do the first to bankroll setting up the second (as it starts getting expensive, especially if you need solar panels) start building up stacks of ferrite dust too :)

Yakumo Fuji

Apr 22, 2019
Does the Extreme Survival milestone still completely reset when you leave an Extreme planet? I remember it used to do that in the old versions and I don't want to leave this planet if I have to start over and regain 12 sols of survival before being allowed to continue on that milestone.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I wonder what's going on with the console patches? It's been nearly a week since the last one. 2.09.1 came out on PC on the 23rd and was pretty big. Would have thought it'd have been out on consoles by now.
Why won't they release the patch for PS4? It's driving me nuts that using anything in the quick menu makes you jump.

Releasing patches on consoles is expensive, so they usually wait to have something more substantial before submitting a build to the consoles manufacturers. We tend to forget that fact with the fast-paced critical patch release schedule of last week, but a week for a console patch is kind of quick in regular context!

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Releasing patches on consoles is expensive, so they usually wait to have something more substantial before submitting a build to the consoles manufacturers. We tend to forget that fact with the fast-paced critical patches release schedule of last week, but a week for a console patch is kind of quick in regular context!

They released small PS4 patches pretty much daily in the first week, so I dunno.

gl0w

QA Tester
Verified
Mar 23, 2018
Looks like they nerfed the activated indium selling price. :(

Great game, i'm loving it once again.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Does the Extreme Survival milestone still completely reset when you leave an Extreme planet? I remember it used to do that in the old versions and I don't want to leave this planet if I have to start over and regain 12 sols of survival before being allowed to continue on that milestone.

It does, yes. Stick with it, or go afk while you make dinner :D

They released small PS4 patches pretty much daily in the first week, so I dunno.

Yeah, like Static_Void says, critical patches are one thing but you can only do that so long, even if console patches were free, there are other expenses to manage, those fast and furious patches in the opening week are the result of a lot of hard work and overtime no doubt. From my own experiences with such things patches do have a certain risk to them too that you could do harm elsewhere while fixing things, so its wise to take your time where possible and people burned out are more likely to make mistakes.
With Steam at least they seem to have an effective PTS which they can mess about with.

Looks like they nerfed the activated indium selling price. :(

Great game, i'm loving it once again.

Really? I didn't notice anything earlier. Possibly a daft question but just in case you haven't crashed your local market have you?

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, like Static_Void says, critical patches are one thing but you can only do that so long, even if console patches were free, there are other expenses to manage, those fast and furious patches in the opening week are the result of a lot of hard work and overtime no doubt. From my own experiences with such things patches do have a certain risk to them too that you could do harm elsewhere while fixing things, so its wise to take your time where possible and people burned out are more likely to make mistakes.
With Steam at least they seem to have an effective PTS which they can mess about with.

Really? I didn't notice anything earlier. Possibly a daft question but just in case you haven't crashed your local market have you?

Well, yeah, they DID break other things with those patches. And now we're waiting for that to get patched.

Makeshift Chef

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I hadn't played this since the first big update launched. I was itching to get back to exploring in this universe again so I purchased it on Xbox so I could kick back and comfy couch it. I feel like I really lucked out in my starter system. There's TWO planets with ancient bones on them in the system. I had no idea they were worth so much money. Needless to say I have been able to grab a class B 22 slot multi tool and am now 3 mil into saving for a hauler ship before I head out to the great unknown. I'm really enjoying being back in the game again.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I've not really been looking at the reddit/wiki either preferring conversation here. Among ourselves we seem to favour Ancient Bones and Salvage scrap for "farming" lucrative items similarly to Gravitino Balls (personally I've had more luck with salvage scrap, and there's a chance each one spawns a corrupted sentinel which is easy to dispatch and a great way to mass complete "kill sentinal missions").

Following that there seems to be a few making mineral mines for Activated Indium which goes for around 950 Units each or close to 10 million for a stack of 9999. If you are lucky enough to find a hotspot and also one close to a magnetic field hotspot for power, you can generate quite a lot per hour for next to no actual "work".

I've bodged up one on a hellhole planet on a class "B" hotspot, and only using solar panels (there isnt a EM hotspot near) with 12 miners and its making 7000 Activated Indium an hour (6,500,000 units). Others do much better. Once I can afford to upgrade to a decent Hauler, I'll look for less hazardous planet to explore for better hotspots to exploit.

I'd say do the first to bankroll setting up the second (as it starts getting expensive, especially if you need solar panels) start building up stacks of ferrite dust too :)

This is very helpful, thank you!

I seemed to be able to make money much faster in Next so I was scratching my head a bit as to why I'm 20 hours into Beyond and still barely maintaining 1 million credits.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
You could always report it. They seem to give a lot of weight to these reports:

Already did that a week or so ago. And they don't fix everything. They still have a bug that you can't put your engineers in your base on your freighter or their quests but out that they had when next came out (like a year or more ago). It's what stopped me playing then and I've encountered it again (on a new game and different platform so it's not a save that still messes it up). So yeah, I kinda worry that they'll ignore that.

Last edited:

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Can I just say how great this thread has been? You guys have been incredibly helpful and I feel like we are all trying to help each other and be collaborative, which is unheard of on gaming forums, IMHO.

When I google things I want to know about this game the only thing I can get is outdated Wiki info or smartass/asshole comments in Steam forums.

iWannaHat

Jul 1, 2019
Can I just say how great this thread has been? You guys have been incredibly helpful and I feel like we are all trying to help each other and be collaborative, which is unheard of on gaming forums, IMHO.

When I google things I want to know about this game the only thing I can get is outdated Wiki info or smartass/asshole comments in Steam forums.
So just look for large pillars to mine Heridium. Also stock up on shield plating.

gl0w

QA Tester
Verified
Mar 23, 2018

Well, I was only looking at the price that appear when you move the mouse over the item, I didnt try to sell it at a station... The value just looked different from yestarday after todays update.

edgefusion

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone else have an issue with wires not staying connected, or not connecting properly in the first place? Trying to wire my grid up and half the time the wires act like they connect but don't supply power, then when I think I've got it all sorted I come back later to find a bunch of un-powered cables going between devices.

NotSelf

Oct 26, 2017
After I finished completing my base a heated storm came in I thought I would go in my completed cozy safe base but the storm goes right inside my new base. It completely turned me off from continue playing not sure if I should wait for patch or search for a stormless planet.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Does anyone else have an issue with wires not staying connected, or not connecting properly in the first place? Trying to wire my grid up and half the time the wires act like they connect but don't supply power, then when I think I've got it all sorted I come back later to find a bunch of un-powered cables going between devices.

I haven't had those specific issues, but the wires are definitely a little glitchy for me.

When I'm in build mode and in the act of placing wires, you see that green glowing ball, right? After I place my wire and then let go of my triggers because I'm done placing wire, the green ball stays where it was..... like..... until the next time I exit and load the game.

After I finished completing my base a heated storm came in I thought I would go in my completed cozy safe base but the storm goes right inside my new base. It completely turned me off from continue playing not sure if I should wait for patch or search for a stormless planet.

I think you have to make sure you have complete walls, roofing, and flooring on all sides of you. Some things like acid rain on my planet can be helped by simply getting under neath something, but other types of hazards can affect you from all sides. So if you have walls all around you and a roof/floor and it's still getting through and hurting you, that definitely sounds like a bug, and I recommend rebuilding your home just to be safe.

Feenix

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2017
Ok so I just got a Blaze Javeline A upgrade so I installed the Blaze Javelin. Is it... really this bad?

Feenix

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2017
I haven't had those specific issues, but the wires are definitely a little glitchy for me.

When I'm in build mode and in the act of placing wires, you see that green glowing ball, right? After I place my wire and then let go of my triggers because I'm done placing wire, the green ball stays where it was..... like..... until the next time I exit and load the game.
A simpler way to make that green wire ball go away is to just go back into build menu, then choose something other than Wires. :)

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I saw a badass hauler with 33 slots or more for like 8.5 million but it was A, no S class. However its more in my price range right now. I was offendered to exchange my A class multitool with like 9 slots for a B class with 22 slots (though many have to be repaired). Is it better to go with the higher slot option even though the class may be lower sometimes? Especially when the slot differential is fairly significant?

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I saw a badass hauler with 33 slots or more for like 8.5 million but it was A, no S class. However its more in my price range right now. I was offendered to exchange my A class multitool with like 9 slots for a B class with 22 slots (though many have to be repaired). Is it better to go with the higher slot option even though the class may be lower sometimes? Especially when the slot differential is fairly significant?
Prioritize slots, especially if you're looking at something with over twice as many. The bonuses from class levels aren't as significant as the ones you get from optional modules you add yourself, and you can stack those three times. That being said, avoid broken slots; they can often be prohibitively expensive in resources to repair. You could take the multitool with more slots (even broken) and then go trade it in for another multitool at a vendor or outpost, but I seem to recall seeing that broken slots now negatively affect the sale price of equipment (I could be wrong, haven't verified in Beyond). Another thing to consider is how are the slots arranged? If there are frequent gaps that prevent you from stacking 3 S-Class modules plus an upgrade component for bonuses, it might negatively impact the overall efficacy of the multitool/ship. This point becomes moot when you start finding max-slot technology.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Prioritize slots, especially if you're looking at something with over twice as many. The bonuses from class levels aren't as significant as the ones you get from optional modules you add yourself, and you can stack those three times. That being said, avoid broken slots; they can often be prohibitively expensive in resources to repair. You could take the multitool with more slots (even broken) and then go trade it in for another multitool at a vendor or outpost, but I seem to recall seeing that broken slots now negatively affect the sale price of equipment (I could be wrong, haven't verified in Beyond). Another thing to consider is how are the slots arranged? If there are frequent gaps that prevent you from stacking 3 S-Class modules plus an upgrade component for bonuses, it might negatively impact the overall efficacy of the multitool/ship. This point becomes moot when you start finding max-slot technology.

Ok then I fucked up by passing on that Hauler because it was 33 plus slots for 8.5 mill A class, when I have the 15 slot starter ship. Sounds like I may have been right to pass on the 22 slot multitool though because half if not more of those slots needed repairs, and the 600k trade isn't much more significant than the trade in for the 9 slot A class I already own.

That was just the first time I'd come across a multitool with that many slots so I had to consider it. The ones sold at space stations and the Nexus are ass, at least in my game.