• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FreezerGeezer

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I haven't been able to jump into random games for awhile pre-Beyond. After Next was released, there was a rash of trolls stealing materials out of storage containers and deleting bases. Once HG added MP restrictions I think a lot of players turned off random multiplayer completely.

Yeah I think this must be the case. Although I am not 100% as I think my games MP may be a bit more broken. Unable to even join people on friends list and they cannot join me. MP enabled on both ends.

If you need a game to join to get resources, I'm sure there is someone on Era who can help.

I could even potentially launch the game and then you can join me and get whatever resource you need. I think you can exchange stuff with players, too, right?

As above. I am not sure if my game is broken, you have to unlock multiplayer via missions which I am not up too yet or if this is how it is designed.

If you are on the experimental build and are still stuck later on today I can give you an invite (but I gotta do my morning chores before I start gaming). But me and a friend discovered you either both have to be on experimental or both on official to be able to join. I suppose if you really really are impatient I can start up my pc and my game and just idle it while you do your thing (but if you can wait I'd like that cause with this game it may not be so simple and might need some tinkering to get to allow to join).

I don't know how new your game is but I've only unlocked being able to build warp cells and I can join at least my friend's game.

I am just on the most up to date steam build.

Spent almost 6 hours trying to get this working, I could have started over 4 times. I might just do that since it all looks like it is rather broken MP wise.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Having restarted this game like 5 times, it's nice to be able to leave a planet and not feel like I missed something. There's an infinite number of planets...I'll never miss something, ha.

I scored a huge load of Tetra Cobalt on my starter planet and already have a cool 2 mil units ready to sell off.

Ostinatto

Oct 30, 2017
Guys, i just found an abandoned airship, what can i do with it? can i dismantle it or something? i dont wanna replace my current ship.

dmoe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Early on there is a lot of crafting, I think the new tutorial does a good job of contextualizing a lot of it along with the story so in my opinion it's not so transparently in your face. However they have streamlined a ton of things and very early on you can start getting technology to mitigate a lot of the constant filling of "meters". There's the efficient thrusters and then the thruster recharge upgrade that minimizes the amount of resources and charging for launch fuel, there is upgrade modules for the exo-suit that helps with all of those core features. Combine that with the increase in inventory slot size and the ease to acquiring new upgrade slots and it's a lot better.
Where can a noob find the upgrade items?

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
went to nexus and stayed to watch the ships come in and man nobody was a scrub for like 20 mninutes nothing but S class ships mostly Exotic and Explorers 1 shuttle and mine and another persons fighter

KuroNeeko

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
I'm looking at picking up either this or Boundless. Can anyone offer any sort of comparison between the two?

Both games seem to be on the up, but looks like NMS has more players. Is there a strong building component like Minecraft, or is it more like exploration and Star Trader?

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
such bullshit i never notice you can't use Plasma Launcher without Combat Scope installed. the game should really warn you about it. got into a sentinal fight thinking i had my upgraded to hell launcher to wipe them away

also survey upgrade makes no sense at what it actually does when it finally detects hotspot

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My buddy says he can talk to a guy in the Nexus to get nanites for his accomplishments, I got some the first time I went there but after that I have never been able to get any more. But he says he has been able to speak with someone there (think it was Nada) to get more for the new stuff he has done.

Is my game just glitched out here? I have talked to everyone I can find and get nothing.
NPCs you're looking for are up the right side ramp. Separate from the enclosed area.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
When exotics were first introduced I recall people farming them via crashed ships and finding them but it was a rare experience. So its possible, but its probably more work than just save scumming on a trading post.

I've not started looking for S class ships in beyond yet. Prior to now though I don't recall many saying you'd have as much luck in a poor system than a rich one. The wiki has some details of spawn chances here.
From my experience I always used a high economy system to ship hunt, standing on a trading post roof by a save point and reloading to respawn the landing ships, I found exotics and S class ships would appear with some regularity, its just luck of the draw some times I reloaded less than 10 times and found exactly what I was after, others it took many, many more attempts.

Thanks, I'll keep trying the trading post respawn thing in wealthy systems. Also lol at 2% spawn rate for S class in wealthy systems from that link. This could take some time...

Nov 2, 2017
Where can a noob find the upgrade items?

You can find the technology upgrades all over the place. Guaranteed places are Space Stations in every Solar system, when you enter the station left hand side has a bunch of vendors. You purchase modules (module stats are randomized) which are one time use, or blueprints that allow you to create the tech as many times as you need to as long as you have the mats. (For instance) You can get tech that will make your life support more efficient, thus burning less resources.

You can also purchase technology at the Nexus and finally at small trading post on the planets.
On planets you can either fly around until you visually find them or use the buildable scanner to locate one.

Finally, some resources especially highly refined or rare can power your exosuit more efficiently for less quantities.

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can I use my Xbox One PC controller in conjunction with the Oculus Rift S head set? And not use the Touch controllers?

dmoe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can find the technology upgrades all over the place. Guaranteed places are Space Stations in every Solar system, when you enter the station left hand side has a bunch of vendors. You purchase modules (module stats are randomized) which are one time use, or blueprints that allow you to create the tech as many times as you need to as long as you have the mats. (For instance) You can get tech that will make your life support more efficient, thus burning less resources.

You can also purchase technology at the Nexus and finally at small trading post on the planets.
On planets you can either fly around until you visually find them or use the buildable scanner to locate one.

Finally, some resources especially highly refined or rare can power your exosuit more efficiently for less quantities.
Thanks for this. Is there a way to look at my tech that I have and what is possible to be upgraded? I will have to explore around in my inventory and the blueprints

anything specific I should be selling to maximize monies

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
Currently can't finish a mission when where I have to destroy a depot even though I've blown all five bits up. I think it's because I blew them up with my ship rather than on foot. Does that sound about right?

I'm also assuming that I now can't complete it?

Make sure you definitely destroyed all 5. Easy to think you have when you haven't. Otherwise it's a bug. Seems to happen more often after a new update.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
I just found a really pretty planet after a black hole jump, had to take som photos. Lots of vegetation, grassy plains, winged creatures, lots of water and islands, it's ticking all my boxes. Only issue is that the storms are extremely heated. There is always something lol

ZGyouZG.jpg

3ncvjsm.jpg

G4dtjbb.jpg

Nice planet for a secondary "just for fun" base.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
I figured getting out of the submersible acted like getting out of the star ship in that it saved each time.

The Portable Save is something you should always have in your inventory. Portable Beacon works the same but adds a marker to the UI as long as it's there. Place it down, save the game, pick it back up. Literal lifesaver.

Thisisme

Apr 14, 2018
Anyone know how to take a picture in VR with move controllers. I've looked all over and can't figure it out. There are some missions I need to complete.

Nov 2, 2017
Thanks for this. Is there a way to look at my tech that I have and what is possible to be upgraded? I will have to explore around in my inventory and the blueprints

anything specific I should be selling to maximize monies

For blueprint tech.
If you go into your inventory screen, each tab has potential for different types of technology. Press the square button, blueprints for installable technology that you can build will listed in a pop up window. It will also show the components for crafting that technology. You can pin any technology recipe and work towards building it like a quest.

For one use modules.

After acquiring a module, you will first need to "unwrap" it so to speak. Go to your inventory and hover over the module and click analyze, the actual stats of the module will be revealed. Now you can grab the tech and place it next to whatever slot you want. You can achieve stacking bonuses by moving technology next to each other. For example, you place multiple life support units next to each other for bonus effects. If the tech gives off a bonus the outline will be color coded.
I think someone put a photo of the stacking bonuses a couple pages back. (Sorry I'ts late and I'm on mobile)

On money generation.

I would look for buried artifacts and bones. They can sell for really high margins. Early game gold isn't bad, get the scanner upgrades for your multi tool early on. You can stack three of the scanning modules to boost money gained for scanning fauna & flora. Combine those upgrades with missions you can take for the scanning nature and you can rack up the money and Nanites simultaneously. Plus get rewards and standing within the guild.

Once you get money, you'll be able to afford nicer stuff easier.

Try focusing on a specific goal per play session... and rotate those goals across all of the disciplines. That way you can feel like you are accomplishing something while getting a taste for all the different play styles. Sometimes it chill to just be a space trucker and buy/sell. At times it's cool to be a bounty hunter, or just fix your tech, or space photographer. Take things easy, maybe play some of the quest line, but don't be afraid to stop that for a bit and do your own thing!

Oct 27, 2017
It's so damn frustrating with multiplayer. I'm playing on Valve Index in VR and tried multiplayer multiple times with different people.

Running into the problem where we are in the same exact place and we can't see each other. Or we don't even show up on each other's maps. It's like the game doesn't recognize we are in same system even though we are chatting with each other in game.

So basically multiplayer is broken for me at the moment.

---

Also the water is killing my eyes in PC VR. It's like the depth is off or something.

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having more fun with the game than I have in a long time, but with that said, the pop-in and draw distance issues are really hurting things. Sometimes I'll go back to my base after exploring the planet for a little while and the whole thing will be invisible for a good two or three minutes before everything finally manages to load. And earlier today, while I was trying to get an S-Rank ship, sometimes when I'd load the game the trading post I was at would just...completely fail to load. NEXT definitely had its issues but I don't think it was ever as broken as Beyond can get.

dmoe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For blueprint tech.
If you go into your inventory screen, each tab has potential for different types of technology. Press the square button, blueprints for installable technology that you can build will listed in a pop up window. It will also show the components for crafting that technology. You can pin any technology recipe and work towards building it like a quest.

For one use modules.

After acquiring a module, you will first need to "unwrap" it so to speak. Go to your inventory and hover over the module and click analyze, the actual stats of the module will be revealed. Now you can grab the tech and place it next to whatever slot you want. You can achieve stacking bonuses by moving technology next to each other. For example, you place multiple life support units next to each other for bonus effects. If the tech gives off a bonus the outline will be color coded.
I think someone put a photo of the stacking bonuses a couple pages back. (Sorry I'ts late and I'm on mobile)

On money generation.

I would look for buried artifacts and bones. They can sell for really high margins. Early game gold isn't bad, get the scanner upgrades for your multi tool early on. You can stack three of the scanning modules to boost money gained for scanning fauna & flora. Combine those upgrades with missions you can take for the scanning nature and you can rack up the money and Nanites simultaneously. Plus get rewards and standing within the guild.

Once you get money, you'll be able to afford nicer stuff easier.

Try focusing on a specific goal per play session... and rotate those goals across all of the disciplines. That way you can feel like you are accomplishing something while getting a taste for all the different play styles. Sometimes it chill to just be a space trucker and buy/sell. At times it's cool to be a bounty hunter, or just fix your tech, or space photographer. Take things easy, maybe play some of the quest line, but don't be afraid to stop that for a bit and do your own thing!
Thanks so much. This will help a lot

Kernal 64

#TeamThierry
Oct 28, 2017
NY

Just a heads up that they moved the craftable blueprints from the space station vendors to the Nexus. The space station vendors still sell the one use upgrade modules, but not the blueprints. Oh, also while most solar systems have a space station, there are a small number that don't. I've come across 2 or 3 that are completely abandoned. No space station, no trading activity, no settlements on any planet that I can see. It's kinda creepy, but cool.

Also the water is killing my eyes in PC VR. It's like the depth is off or something.

I spent several minutes looking at the water earlier today. One of my two bases is a partially submerged base, so my eyes kept freaking out when I would surface and look across the sea. I think it's the shadows moving across the surface. They're not... I don't know, synced right? Or aligned? If I close one eye, I see one set of shadows. If I open that eye and close the other, I see a different set of shadows and the first set is gone. Looking at it with both eyes has this awful, eyestraining almost strobe feel to it and I think its because both eyes are seeing something different. At least, I think that's what's going on.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
Oh. Sweet. Thanks.

I scanned my immediate surroundings and didn't see any Oxygen. Maybe I should fly somewhere else. Will the rest of the planet likely be the same? Will I have to go somewhere else?

And can I craft any sort of storage for my base? I'm tired of my inventory being full.

Early on storage is limited. Base storage used to be unlocked fairly deep into the base building quest line. Not sure how that's changed now with Beyond.

What is your inventory full of? Early game all you really need is a stack of carbon, ferrite dust, sodium and oxygen and maybe some ammo. Stuff like dihydrogen, uranium and other ship fuel sources can be stored in the ship inventory for more space when you're on foot.

Are you hoarding a lot of useless resources?

A good rule of thumb in this game, especially early on, is that if a resource does no good to you right now and especially if you don't even know what it is, then sell it. Nothing you will need is so rare that you can't find it again fairly easily.

Oct 27, 2017
I spent several minutes looking at the water earlier today. One of my two bases is a partially submerged base, so my eyes kept freaking out when I would surface and look across the sea. I think it's the shadows moving across the surface. They're not... I don't know, synced right? Or aligned? If I close one eye, I see one set of shadows. If I open that eye and close the other, I see a different set of shadows and the first set is gone. Looking at it with both eyes has this awful, eyestraining almost strobe feel to it and I think its because both eyes are seeing something different. At least, I think that's what's going on.

Good to know I'm not the only one with the problem. I'm guessing it gets fixed in the next few weeks. Not a critical patch like the crashing stuff they are fixing now.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, which is why I'm reluctant to upgrade my ship and multitool. I don't want to lose all the S class upgrades I have in them.

you can't transfer items to the new scanner? o_O?

I've got the 20+ B class mutli tool that I've been rocking for the longest because well...I've yet to find anything better so far, or anything with the same or more slots, but at a higher class.

I thought you'd be able to take anything you installed to the new scanner if you choose to upgrade ;_;

Nov 2, 2017
Just a heads up that they moved the craftable blueprints from the space station vendors to the Nexus. The space station vendors still sell the one use upgrade modules, but not the blueprints. Oh, also while most solar systems have a space station, there are a small number that don't. I've come across 2 or 3 that are completely abandoned. No space station, no trading activity, no settlements on any planet that I can see. It's kinda creepy, but cool.

Thanks for the clarification on the vendors in Beyond.
Thanks so much. This will help a lot
Welcome, please see the above clarification from Kernal 64. Ok, bed time for me, have fun fellow Travellers!

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
had a weird bug that exiting the Nexus back into the 4 planet system i was in had it reveal all the major markers for the planet that stayed through multiple reloads

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
Can I use my Xbox One PC controller in conjunction with the Oculus Rift S head set? And not use the Touch controllers?
I would also like to know this!
I can only get the Index to work with motion controls. It looks like it forces SteamVR Input 2.0, so you can bind stick to stick or button to button, but most of the 'VR interactions' don't have any way to map to a controller.

The amount of UI elements that work by touching or swiping in VR is really impressive for a conversion.