• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
PS_Messages_20190815_003706.jpg

PS_Messages_20190815_003709.jpg

These are direct psvr base ps4 screenshots. Imo the cockpit looks fantastic but the planet/clouds look fucking abysmal and take me out of the experience.

How close is this graphically to the regular version of the game? Like are the planets all this graphically ugly or is it just because of VR??

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
These are direct psvr base ps4 screenshots. Imo the cockpit looks fantastic but the planet/clouds look fucking abysmal and take me out of the experience.

How close is this graphically to the regular version of the game? Like are the planets all this graphically ugly or is it just because of VR??
woof, no the main game on ps4 pro or xbox one x looks a lot better than that

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
That was a little above the atmosphere though, not like right on the surface

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Started a new game on PS4 (Pro but no PSVR, I'm also on a 1080p set so no 4k/HDR and I have supersampling off so my PS4 doesn't sound like a jet engine) and no crashes in 6 hours. I only played for like ~30 hours at launch and maybe like ~10 hours or so last year at the last big update, but the QoL stuff is immediately apparent. Think I'll stick with it longer this time, but I do hope they iron out issues most folks seem to be having.
Same. No crashes, some serious popup. But everything looks better.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The PSVR version is definitely one big blur on the Pro but the gameplay experience totally distracts from that. There is no VR game with the sort of depth, sense of immersion and large community and the feeling of finally taking off in your ship for the first time is something that will be etched into your mind like any great real life memory. Just an incredible fucking experience.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
The PSVR version is definitely one big blur on the Pro but the gameplay experience totally distracts from that. There is no VR game with the sort of depth, sense of immersion and large community and the feeling of finally taking off in your ship for the first time is something that will be etched into your mind like any great real life memory. Just an incredible fucking experience.
I kept spiraling out of control bc of the Move flight controls so it kinda sucked for me lol

Starviper

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I'm not liking that my HUD does not follow where i'm looking at all.. Playing on VR/PC. Also experiencing some reprojection issues. My setup is a little unusual (Virtual Desktop > Quest) but it does work and I can adjust options; controls are all fine but definitely on the laggy side. Any recommended setting adjustments that might help? The HUD was the most obnoxious thing IMO. Will say it did *look* nice, but I didn't play very much tonight.

GPU - 2080
CPU - 8770
32 GB RAM
Win 10

game-biz

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody having trouble streaming on Twitch? Apparently the switch from openGL to Vulcan is causing issues with OBS? Anybody know if there's a workaround?

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Well, to be fair I have never been one to notice bad frame rate, but so far on my PC with a 1070 and ... shoot I already forgot what processor I have (I5 8700?)... and a Vive (not pro). Anyways, I find it mostly so far is not bad at all. Other than one time when I was still figuring out controls on the ship and spun around towards the planet real fast (then even I noticed the computer lag). I don't even notice a difference in quality of image (granted I'm coming from playing on a PS4 so that's my basis of comparison) and haven't noticed pop in yet. NOt sure how I feel about using motion to pretend to move a joystick over letting me use my HOTUS (it would feel a lot more real) and even if I try to center the game around me when I sit on the couch (so I can sit while I fly) it has me sit far too high above the controls, I have to lean forward to use them). I wish they'd not assume I want to stand while I fly... I'd rather sit on a chair as that would feel more like I was in a spaceship rather than pretending to be in one. And I do think using a physical HOTUS would be better than controls that can mimick me grabbing a control stick. I so far find using the menus on my wrist to be totally fine (I kept reading people saying it was awkward but it feels ok to me... though to be fair not sure how quick the quick menus will be like that).

So far my biggest complaint is where they center you in the cockpit (and assume you are going to be standing). I don't really feel like I"m in a ship so much cause of that... Elite feels way more like I'm operating a ship because it's set to have me sitting while playing in the ship.

These are just surface impressions as I really didn't get a chance much to play... barely enough to somewhat get used to the controls (still haven't tried scanning a plant and using this where you look aim).

I haven't gotten motion sick yet but I have not even gotten close to getting a land vehicle (That's where in Elite I just cannot adjust). But so far walking around is totally fine. But I was spinning around uncontrollably in the ship as was not used to the controls and that tended to make me motion sick in elite dangerous (When I was not in good control of the ship but I did get adjusted to that).

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone on PC that's using Touch controllers figure out how to descend underwater? I'm trying everything but just seem to stay on the surface. Would love to just use my Xbox wireless controller but it doesn't seem to register.

Hellers

Oct 27, 2017
2070 and a Rift S here. Played sitting.

1. I use the twin sticks to move and look. No problem. It even doesn't give me a rollercoaster feeling when I right stick look like other games.
2. Performance (glitches and jank aside) is flawless on my PC with everything set at enhanced.
3. Are you sure? I spent most of my three hours in the game last night with my arms resting on the arms of my chair
4. I don't even think I can aim with my face. Everything uses my controllers to aim and it works really well.

I was watching Tangent on Twitch play a bit last night and he seemed to be using his Vive controllers to aim rather than his head too and. Dunno how he was moving though. Maybe there are some differences with the implementation on different headsets.

The only thing I have a real issue with is the flight controls feel like I'm trying to fly with a wii remote. It's not good. Let me use the sticks pls Hello Games.

*Edit* Ah. For number 1 I see you're after roomscale movement. Yeah. Doesn't seem to have that. I don't have the space but for those who do that would be a shame. Maybe they'll add it later.

This sounds really, really disappointing. I have about a week to refund it on my Steam account but some of this is just really not acceptable:

1. Can't walk around with real locomotion in a 2019 VR game? I could understand if this was 2016 but most games have figured out how to do roomscale locomotion on PC VR by now.
2. Performance sounds hideously bad, like 2080ti's saying they can't hold >60 FPS on Low.
3. Movement requires you to hold your arm out...? Every other VR game I have (H3VR, AZ Sunshine) you can rest your arm pointing down and just tilt your hand, why would you need to lift it up and point? Sounds tiring.
4. Aiming with your face... really? I hope that post in this thread was mistaken.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
This sounds really, really disappointing. I have about a week to refund it on my Steam account but some of this is just really not acceptable:

1. Can't walk around with real locomotion in a 2019 VR game? I could understand if this was 2016 but most games have figured out how to do roomscale locomotion on PC VR by now.
2. Performance sounds hideously bad, like 2080ti's saying they can't hold >60 FPS on Low.
3. Movement requires you to hold your arm out...? Every other VR game I have (H3VR, AZ Sunshine) you can rest your arm pointing down and just tilt your hand, why would you need to lift it up and point? Sounds tiring.
4. Aiming with your face... really? I hope that post in this thread was mistaken.

Why so aggressive?

1. They have smooth walking like any other VR game, by holding a button and tilting the controller where you want to go.
2. Dunno, they're working on a patch apparently.
3. You don't, it works like any other game.
4. You aim your tool with your right hand obviously, but since you're in VR it's not tied to your viewpoint, so you can mine something while you're looking away. You use your viewpoint to target distant objects (and then press a button to set your compass there) or to target touch objects like farmable plants. When you have those lined up, you then hold a button and "pull" the thing to interact.

I think viewpoint aiming makes sense for distant objects, but there should be a crosshairs to make it more accurate. For farming, it could go either way but I'm getting used to it. It makes sense that you need to look at things you interact with.

Rsinart

Oct 27, 2017
Played a new game today before hoping back into my last saved game before I stopped playing. Having fun again, but man I've had like 6-7 crashes on my pro. Might wait for the next patch to play more.

Ckoerner

Aug 7, 2019
I've put in over 40 hours in NMS over the last few years. I'm really enjoying the update but have a question.

I'm finding the head tracking and movement controls to feel a little weird on PSVR. Like my head is free to look around which is cool, but my legs are like a robot with treads (like Johnny 5!). I tried both Move and DualShock controllers, checked/changed the settings, and read a few threads on other folks experiences. It feels unnatural that I cannot look up and down as I walk around. I'm new to VR. Are my expectations that it should feel different making sense or does it feel awkward to anyone else?

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
You're really getting used to the PSVR version when you play it for 1 hour+, but when you pause and come back later to it, it hits you as hard again as the first time you saw it.
It's so unbelievable low res and so blurry, words can't really describe it. At least menus and stuff are native, if you have them close enough, but everything like 10 feet away is like a 240p picture enlarged for the VR headset and there is no hyperbole in anything you could possibly say about it, cause it's as bad as it possibly could be. Graphically.

Controls and menus and how you play is fantastic, but the res is absolute mind boggling.
When you play the normal Pro version right after its like 2 Generations difference.
Just noticed that the ground in VR is 100% flat, always, with a simple texture and in the normal game it's never flat, it's bumby and great looking everywhere you look at.
I really wish the res would be at least a tiny little bit better. Because it would also help the immersion immensely. Your body reacts to a clearer VR screen even better, just noticed that while playing Astro Bot, being in a sky level and looking down to islands and water, it feels even better there than any moment I had in NMS so far.
I hope they add at least Pro compatibility in the future.

Paulogy

Oct 25, 2017
So I can see where they're going with needing to power bases to add back some more of that survival mentality, but hoo boy, those biofuel generators are really something. At LEAST let me choose how much fuel to put in one, so that I can power multiple for a short burst (if I want), as opposed to dumping all my carbon and oxygen into a single generator...

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Morning Travellers!

I notice that there was a tweet earlier about a potential hotfix for the Nexus crashing issue.
Just as a dirty "potential fix" I was able to wander round to my hearts content and progress the Artemis questline in the new nexus by removing the network connection from the PS4. Obviously you miss out on interacting with others or doing the MP missions stuff, but every other time I've tried going in there I've crashed. (the only times I've had bother since the update).

Just as an FYI if anyone is having the same issue.

[edit] been on and off the anomaly 3 times now without a single crash, where as before couldn't last a minute, so it could be worth a try if you need to complete something in there.

So I can see where they're going with needing to power bases to add back some more of that survival mentality, but hoo boy, those biofuel generators are really something. At LEAST let me choose how much fuel to put in one, so that I can power multiple for a short burst (if I want), as opposed to dumping all my carbon and oxygen into a single generator...

I've not touched the generators (or bases) apart from that initial part of the opening, but you could prior to this update move 10 of a selected resource by pressing down on the DPad, have you tried that maybe. (I think its down, it may be up :P)

Last edited:

Paulogy

Oct 25, 2017
I've not touched the generators (or bases) apart from that initial part of the opening, but you could prior to this update move 10 of a selected resource by pressing down on the DPad, have you tried that maybe. (I think its down, it may be up :P)

Changing your stack size doesn't help, as (unlike a refiner) it will consolidate all of that resource to consume it in one gulp. Even if some of it was on your starship, or your exocraft...

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Solar panels are cool. Really want a transformer so I don't have to worry about wire management in a video game lol.

Just give me a power radius for general power and wiring if I want logic to apply.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Is the game constantly crashing on base PS4 for anybody else? It's a shame because other than that it does run noticeably better.

Edit: Oh wait, it's already well known and the devs have already promised a fix soon. Cool.

Mr_DyZ

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 12, 2019
User Banned (1 Day): Trolling over a series of posts
This is a pretty shitty and elitist post, hope you realize that this isn't a great look. Somehow though, I don't think you care.

Yea, you'd be right.

Nothing elitist about it at all. It's my opinion that PSVR isn't good.

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
My freighter's containers are not accessible after the update (there's an invisible wall) and if I try to remove them to place them again I can clip through the freighter and fall into space.

I guess it will be as buggy as Next at launch. Shame as I really want to play but I feel it's a bit risky at the moment. Hopefully it will be better by the end of the week/month and I can being milking space crabs and sitting in chairs like a boss.

Changes in the UI and performance are huge improvements. Shame I can't remap keyboard controls as the menu is not working. This is an update they could have launched in the Beta branch. I wouldn't mind willingly testing an unstable version of the game to help Hello Games small team with QA, but launching it like this with such showstoppers is a test of patience.

Good thing is they are swift and dedicated when it comes to fixing stuff.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Is the game constantly crashing on base PS4 for anybody else? It's a shame because other than that it does run noticeably better.

Edit: Oh wait, it's already well known and the devs have already promised a fix soon. Cool.

I only got crashes from entering the new social space in the Anomaly, is that the case for you too, or is it more general? I "solved" my crashing by disconnecting from the internet while I went there.

Mr_DyZ

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 12, 2019
LMAO the PSVR is amazing and I love playing games on it. They easily look good enough.

P.S. How are you enjoying Astrobot (best game in VR)? What about Resident Evil 7 VR? ;)

I'm glad you like playing your PSVR. I'm not forcing my opinion on you.

Also I wouldn't know. Kid robot games aren't my cup of tea.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
This was funny:

http:///5D9d.jpg

A player arrived in the Nexus but there was nowhere for their ship to land so it just floated around in mid-air. So those of us watching it happen:

http:///6D9d.jpg

Jumped on top. :D

It's a different ship in the second shot; at one point it disappeared then reappeared soon after so I assume that's when the change happened.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I only got crashes from entering the new social space in the Anomaly, is that the case for you too, or is it more general? I "solved" my crashing by disconnecting from the internet while I went there.
It's not related to multiplayer. I've tried leaving the planet I'm currently on three times now and it's always resulted in a crash. I think I'm stuck until it's resolved.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Performance was ok on 980Ti with enhanced graphics. But Index controllers are not considered, and lack of room scale is a drag.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Man, where is that shit coming from that deactivating internet improves the PSVR res/graphics? Some people seriously need a doctor with these hallucinations 😅, cause it doesn't do anything and I'm very sensitive to resolution and picture clarity, I would have noticed this immediately.

MidweekCoyote

Mar 23, 2018
I only got crashes pretty much when in the Galactic hub, but that's special due to the sheer amount of bases and the game freaks out a bit. Also one crash when changing cockpit view.

Given I've been through like 6 updates already, I already know what to expect in the first days bug-wise. They aren't surprising given the scope and nature of the game.

What's great is that people really jump on board with reporting issues on all platforms and HG are usually pretty fast in dealing with most of them. Communication on that front is pretty good.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm. So what I'm getting is I should wait a little for some patches or avoid the new social hub?

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Did you get into space? Literally everything related to space in this game - especially with hand-tracked controllers - is fucking blowing my mind. Using one hand to control the throttle and the other to pivot; using a hand to climb out of the cockpit; actually free-looking around while you fly away from a planet... It's so immersive. I feel like I'm inside Star Wars or something.

Landing on a planet is where things immediately get choppy and frustrating.

No not yet. I only used the DS4 because I like to kick back on the couch while playing. Also missing the analogs to walk and turn.