• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Just saw the trailer... so about the jellyfish in space thing.

Anyone remember Colony Wars 2/Vengeance? There was an easter egg where you randomly

Came across an unknown alien species in space, when on mission.. it was transparent and it moved like an underwater creature and it made echoing sounds (as if underwater) when you got close to it

God do I miss games that would just give us weird shit like that... let us use our imagination from there.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
If anyone has a PS4 Pro and isn't happy with the performance on a 4K TV, manually output it to 1080p. I don't know why this game is so weird but it makes a huge difference to me. I'm not even one to care about framerate but I have to force this game to output in 1080p for it to be playable.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw the trailer... so about the jellyfish in space thing.

Anyone remember Colony Wars 2/Vengeance? There was an easter egg where you randomly

Came across an unknown alien species in space, when on mission.. it was transparent and it moved like an underwater creature and it made echoing sounds (as if underwater) when you got close to it

God do I miss games that would just give us weird shit like that... let us use our imagination from there.

regarding the jellyfish thing (unless I am mistaken)

that ties into how you get your living ship, though I could be wrong.

Jayde Six

Feb 2, 2019
If anyone has a PS4 Pro and isn't happy with the performance on a 4K TV, manually output it to 1080p. I don't know why this game is so weird but it makes a huge difference to me. I'm not even one to care about framerate but I have to force this game to output in 1080p for it to be playable.

I haven't played it in several content patches, does the fps limit option not fix that anymore? I know without it the framerate was all over the place.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Are jetpacks behaving differently for you all when climbing alongside (completely vertical) steep mountains? I'm not getting the constant free boost like I did before.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Wait, new biomes! Does that mean a single planet can have multiple biomes depending on where you land? (polar, jungle, deserts, etc.)

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are the solar systems fully 3D now? I remember at launch people being upset because the sun was a sky box and you couldnt actually fly around the solar system, just a line of static planets that didnt rotate around a sun

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
I appreciate all the amazing work the devs have done for this game and how they've truly turned things around, but I just hope they get an appropriate amount of rest! Seems like there are always incredible updates coming to NMS.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I really wish they'd change up how this game starts. Decided to give it another go but so far, its the same. I get theres a load of new stuff added but as of an hour or two in its not presenting itself. Will give it a bit more time though.

Whatever they done to space is pretty awful though. Its like flying through a thick cloud layer at all times.

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017
Just saw lighting in the clouds while I was flying across a blazing hot planet during a storm, looked really, really cool. I wanted to land and experience it on foot but I was trying to escape sentinels lol.

I really wish they would improve the TAA it's so unstable :/

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

Interesting. I'm playing on the Pro, and so far, performance has been good. I want to say there may have been one moment of a framerate dip while I was roaming around tonight, but it didn't last.

I'm curious how the PS5's Boost Mode is going to improve performance while we wait for a legit next gen patch...

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
New planets/biomes? New Weather? New CREATURES?

Might be time to jump back into this for a third time. Planet variety after the Beyond update left me a bit bored after 500+ hours into NMS over the years. Hopefully with this update and all the ones before, it will rekindle that enjoyment I got early on exploring the unknown.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
This update is amazing, exactly what I wanted. The new animals are so much better than the old designs, and it makes me really hope there's a fauna focused update soon to bring the legacy animals up to par. My favorite so far is this Scrat, Diglett, Frog looking guy.

tnw4SAq.jpg

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have to say this game is still unfortunately incredibly broken. I'd settled on an interesting planet and a little island in the ocean to build from and had parked at the nearest big land mass to gather resources. Attempting to open the menu to make fuel caused it to ctd. Then on my next attempt putting that fuel in the ship did nothing. Its now full but will not take off. So essentially my only option is to hoof it to a nearby ship and see if I can repair that.

Which I have to say I dunno if its worth it. My last time playing I hit a game breaking bug that wouldn't allow to finish the base building storyline too. Its just incredibly disappointing that 4 years later I'm still hitting such disruptive bugs, especially just over an hour in

Tankshell

Nov 1, 2017
I have to say this game is still unfortunately incredibly broken. I'd settled on an interesting planet and a little island in the ocean to build from and had parked at the nearest big land mass to gather resources. Attempting to open the menu to make fuel caused it to ctd. Then on my next attempt putting that fuel in the ship did nothing. Its now full but will not take off. So essentially my only option is to hoof it to a nearby ship and see if I can repair that.

Which I have to say I dunno if its worth it. My last time playing I hit a game breaking bug that wouldn't allow to finish the base building storyline too. Its just incredibly disappointing that 4 years later I'm still hitting such disruptive bugs, especially just over an hour in

I have learned to wait for a few weeks worth of minor hotfixes after a major update before starting to play. They always introduce lots of new bugs with the larger updates they do, but are quick to fix them at least.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have learned to wait for a few weeks worth of minor hotfixes after a major update before starting to play. They always introduce lots of new bugs with the larger updates they do, but are quick to fix them at least.
Fair enough. Yeah its probably a bit of a cycle I'm landing in. The new update brings me back but I come back on launch day and then get smacked with the bugs XD I'll try again in a couple weeks if it doesn't correct itself later

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
just got a little time with new update. Lightning effect is really cool. Hoping to really dig into it tonight.

Kumquat

Jan 23, 2018
As much as I and others blasted Sean, (rightly so) he took the best approach possible now that I look at it in hindsight. He stopped talking and started really working to fulfill everything he said. He has taken what was a joke and made an incredible game out of it. I'll have to dive back in for this update at some point.

Oct 26, 2017
Forgot to complete/collect frigate missions before the patch.. Tried it last night and got a system crash. Just a word of warning for those who haven't saved for a while.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Decided to give this another go yesterday once the huge update dropped. Is it me or Permadeath mode seems kind of broken?

First try: planet at -61C, died because of the cold
Second try: planet with high toxicity, managed to survive a while but eventually died because I strayed too far
Third try: spawned besides at least 4 volcanoes, died of heat

Then I said fuck it, I'll just play on Normal mode.

First try: radioactive planet
Second try: toxic planet

At this point I was like wtf and went to bed. Are all planets hazardous now or something? Because that sucks.

Catilio

Nov 7, 2017
I installed the patch last night on my PS4, and felt like the movement was smoother than before...like, if this game was locked at 30FPS, it felt like they increase it to 45...IDK...everything is faster, somehow.

GlowingBovine

Prophet of Truth
Nov 27, 2017
Decided to give this another go yesterday once the huge update dropped. Is it me or Permadeath mode seems kind of broken?

Second try: planet with high toxicity, managed to survive a while but eventually died because I strayed too far

At this point I was like wtf and went to bed. Are all planets hazardous now or something? Because that sucks.
I'm fairly certain the game starts you on a hazardous planet on purpose as part of the tutorial, to teach you how to refuel your protection. It is pretty annoying dealing with it on every new game.

above average

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
I haven't played it in several content patches, does the fps limit option not fix that anymore? I know without it the framerate was all over the place.

If you set the PS4 itself to 4K you have 2 options in game

framerate unlock = up to 60fps but struggles a lot
framerate lock = cap at 30fps but doesn't struggle to maintain it

If you set the PS4 itself to 1080P max the game will not struggle to maintain 60fps when framerate is unlocked in game.

Jayde Six

Feb 2, 2019
If you set the PS4 itself to 4K you have 2 options in game

framerate unlock = up to 60fps but struggles a lot
framerate lock = cap at 30fps but doesn't struggle to maintain it

If you set the PS4 itself to 1080P max the game will not struggle to maintain 60fps when framerate is unlocked in game.

Ah, thanks for the info. Such a shame they never put the resolution option in game like how some games have resolution/performance modes.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

You always start on a hazardous planet, presumably to teach you the importance of staying alive.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017

It's that way for the tutorial missions, then you leave and find a nice planet.

ANDS

Banned
Jun 25, 2019

The first system is tutorial system and all planets will be terrible. You aren't meant to stay in them and death in the beginning trying to find sodium is pretty much expected.

Vexidus

Nov 22, 2017
It seems like a design choice to start you off on a rough planet, as others have said. It serves as tutorials for recharging equipment, and it adds urgency in getting things repaired. You get the peaceful calm once you sit inside the ship for the first time after trekking a kilometre to it, and you get the sense of relief when you get off the planet.

I started a new game last night and loved every second of it. I started on a fiery volcano world with huuuuuge lava ball plants that were cool as hell. Everything was glowing and looked fantastic. Firestorms made the entire screen ripple with heat waves. It was amazing.

Looking forward to continuing with it while listening to some great podcasts/interviews/movie commentaries. This is the best game ever for playing while listening to interesting stuff.

yeahwrite

Apr 17, 2020
I put about 10 hours into this game back at the Beyond update and I eventually wore out on the grind. Do you ever get to a place where the small things like needing to grind for more warp drive fuel just to take off stop being an issue?

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I put about 10 hours into this game back at the Beyond update and I eventually wore out on the grind. Do you ever get to a place where the small things like needing to grind for more warp drive fuel just to take off stop being an issue?
Yeah. At some point you either just go all in on exploring or are concerned with managing billions and empire /fleet building. The little stuff disappears once money and resources arent a problem.

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
I played this briefly and thought it was alright, but maybe not for me

Procedurally generated stuff isn't my issue. I simply want to go on my ship, fly to another planet, explore freely then repeat. Think Outer Wilds. I don't want to do gathering and crafting to be able to do something as simple as exploration.

Vexidus

Nov 22, 2017

Most definitely there is mid-game to late-game technology that trivialize things like that. Once you set up adequate farms you can stop hunting for different resources as well. There are probably things I don't even know about but regarding your specific launch fuel gripe, there is a ship upgrade you can install called launch system recharger that automatically regenerates launch fuel over time and you basically never have to think about it again. I had it on my ship back when Beyond came out and it was so nice.

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
Played this for a few hours last night after bouncing off a few weeks ago, and the graphical update is really phenomenal (on PC at least). Variety of stuff seems cool, and I love the giant mountains.

Its a shame how the core gameplay is still so...boring. After playing a lot of base builders recently, NMS still lags behind for the amount of grind and lack of satisfying rewards (at least 3 hours in, but idk if ill keep going).

Gloomz

Oct 27, 2017
Is this out on the Gamepass PC version?

I can never tell since the GPass doesn't list any patches or updates or any of this type of information.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Damn, never thought about that. I haven't played the game since launch but would jump back in on the PS5 for sure.

Well, given that the 4K mode has an unlocked frame rate, it's almost a guarantee you'll get a super smooth experience, even if other elements don't get patched / enhanced down the road.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
If you're on PC I highly recommend checking out some mods, hopefully they should be compatible soon. I usually mod to clean up the image (remove CA and such) and I also usually go for reduced asteroid density, which is offset by asteroids giving more materials. Moda don't affect achievement either.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I played this a while ago but somethign always comes up andi don't play it much.
I got VR a short while ago. CAn i play it in VR with xbox controller while seated? or does it have the full VR experience?