• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

No Man's Sky - yes or no?

• Yes

Votes: 310 87.6%
  • No

Votes: 44 12.4%

• Total voters

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've watched this game over the course of the PS4 gen and constantly came close to buying it but never did. Now the PS5 update with 4K60, Dualsense and a bunch of gameplay improvements is out and I'm wondering if now is the time?

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was worth buying like 2 years ago.

But yes, it's even moreso worth buying now.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Playing No Mans Sky on console was kind of a struggle before. Its so smooth and fast now.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
How are the Dualsense features?

I bought it on PC at launch, but gave up on it after a litany of issues. Tempted to re-buy on PS5.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Content-wise, it's a completely different game than where it was 2-3 years ago and it's very good. I've dropped probably 15 hours into it last week.

Apparently the next-gen patch needs to be downloaded manually from the PS Store. Pull the trigger and travel the stars in search of sweet planets, bud.

Nov 1, 2017
Not really. It's a boring loop where progress takes forever. I hate to think what it must have been like at launch for people to consider it good now.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
just started for the first time:

-60 fps is essential
-dualsense features feel perfect
-colors look weird, i think it's the HDR issue
-gameplay itself feels very shallow but it's nice to be able to put a podcast on and mindlessly play

Load times are crazy good, but be sure to turn off HDR until it gets fixed

OK wow, yes. this explains a lot.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
As others have said it was justifiable years ago so if you want it now there's little reason not to.

Ravio-li

Dec 24, 2018
I've played it a bit 1 month ago with game pass for 1€... can't say I would've been happy if I bought it for regular price or 50% off. The recource gathering & crafting loop got old VERY fast.

Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy good on PS5. The load times alone make it worth it. I can get into the game so fast now, and moving around between my base and my space stations is so good. The HDR issue is the only thing that's bothering me at this point, but it's also inconsistent. I had one play session in HDR with no issues, but then I played it again, and it was back to being terrible.

It's also really fun with friends or other people in general. I have a group that have all set up their bases near each other, which makes base-building feel more like I'm building onto a colony, rather than a solitary experience.

OP
OP
PS9

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Done! Thanks people.

IMG-20201124-021912820.jpg

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
I don't know why it's doing this, but the problem is that highlights and colours are massively overblown and oversaturated. It looks like it's something to do with the way the PS5 handles HDR
Ah. I'll take a look with and without.

The planet I played on was a barren grey rock so not much colour.

Corine

Nov 8, 2017
I'd have to say no to that. I've went back and tried to enjoy it a couple times now after all these big updates and it still ends the same. Being bored out of my mind :) Just far better survival/exploration games out there. The procedural generation is still really bad and very predictable and the vast majority of things to do are just plain dull. I love these type of games also.......

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
I just bought the game through the PSN sale, haven't played it yet though.

Is the HDR issue people are talking about a game specific thing, or is it affecting other PS5 games too? Had a few moments in Miles where I thought things looked a little too washed out/bright, but I wasn't sure if it was just my TV settings (TCL 4 series TV). I changed some setting and it seemed to help.

Never had a Pro, so this is my first experience with 4K HDR gaming.

ZeroCoin

Oct 26, 2017
If it wasn't worth buying by now for you, then no probably not. It's prettier looking and it loads faster...but it's still the same game. I'm glad I bought it years ago for dirt cheap.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
I'd have to say no to that. I've went back and tried to enjoy it a couple times now after all these big updates and it still ends the same. Being bored out of my mind :) Just far better survival/exploration games out there. The procedural generation is still really bad and very predictable and the vast majority of things to do are just plain dull. I love these type of games also.......
Did you try it after the recent 3.0 update that overhauled the procedural world system and added richer diversity?

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Did they update the PS4-VR version while they were at it? I played it in VR for a while, found some very interesting planets, but it was rough resoultion wise playing in VR.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Depends if it's really stable 60 at all times like advertised. I have my doubs because its jumping from 40's to 70 at random on my 2080S build.

bob100

Oct 29, 2017
I have had No Mans Sky since launch and only played a few hours. I think i just left the first planet.

I'm thinking of going back in and trying on the PS5.

What do people recommend...should I begin a new save or just continue from where I am? I'm not sure if any of the updates since the release would have changed the start?

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
Depends if it's really stable 60 at all times like advertised. I have my doubs because its jumping from 40's to 70 at random on my 2080S build.
It's very stable. I've noticed an occasional hitch very briefly after teleporting but that's it.

My complex base that used to chug on Pro doesn't drop at all.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I have had No Mans Sky since launch and only played a few hours. I think i just left the first planet.

I'm thinking of going back in and trying on the PS5.

What do people recommend...should I begin a new save or just continue from where I am? I'm not sure if any of the updates since the release would have changed the start?
If you've only played a few hours then I'd start from scratch as you won't have got very far into it.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Even for the nay-sayers, its been worth buying since Next. I even enjoyed it well enough at launch. Do not hesitate now, the game is jam packed with tons of content

Sumasshu1

Oct 27, 2017
Content-wise, it's a completely different game than where it was 2-3 years ago and it's very good. I've dropped probably 15 hours into it last week.

Apparently the next-gen patch needs to be downloaded manually from the PS Store. Pull the trigger and travel the stars in search of sweet planets, bud.
Whelp, I feel dumb. I've been playing the ps4 version for days marveling at how good it was. Lol.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
No Man's Sky has been well been worth buying for a long while now. The Next Generation update is just extra icing on the cake.

Vidpixel

Oct 27, 2017
Just picked this up, and yeah, the HDR brightness is a little nuts at times. Kinda annoying having to turn off HDR just for this game, have Hello Games mentioned anything about a patch yet?

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Resource gathering isn't even a thing I do any more. You eventually get so rich you just buy the resources or the materials for things you need. Life support stuff, even things like uranium make launch cost trivial. Unless you're playing on a mode above normal, then resources are capped to a dumb degree, but on normal you can have 9999 and never really run out if you know the most cost effective use of stuff. I haven't 'mined' in hundreds of hours at this point, so those that say the grind is too much either didn't figure out ways to make their life easier or they didn't get out of the tutorial.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I played it at launch and haven't touched it again until I just bought the PS5 version this week. It's still roughly the same game with the same gameplay loop. If that interests you at all, definitely pick it up, because they have made a ton of massive quality of life changes.

But again, ultimately it's still the same loop of collecting and managing resources.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I had more fun around launch than with the game after a couple of expansions (played again when multiplayer launched). I would still recommend that you try it out

Tankshell

Nov 1, 2017
The problem is they keep introducing lots of annoying bugs with each patch, more often than not the larger expansion content drops also end up screwing with your base which you may have invested a LOT of hours into. I have been burned more than once now, my main base planet which I spent ages finding was completely altered and my base buried. I decided not to play this again until they end of life it, at least that way I can be sure any time invested is not wasted as soon as a new patch drops and destroys my hard work.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Not until they fix the HDR. It's unplayably bad.

Turning off HDR back and forth when I want to play this game isn't a solution. There's not even an HDR toggle in the game itself, it's just automatic.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I don't really think it's all that different to when it shipped 2 years ago. I think there's a lot of over emphasis on this idea that the updates have been transformative, and perhaps if you're really interested in building a base, that is true. But for the most part the core game is the same, and still lacking in the same areas. The survival mechanics are still full of fairly tedious resource management, that's mostly meaningless unless you play on the harder difficulties, yet at the same time, still manages to occupy a large portion of your time.

Planetary exploration is still very limited in that there's only a small selection of pre-set points of interest to discover, and once you've discovered those, you'll notice them repeating on every planet. You will see everything the game has to offer within a short while, and then it's mostly aesthetic variation.

Still, I like the game a lot, and I liked it at launch too. I love seeing the new planets and discovering interesting spaces and caves. I like the art of No Man's Sky and it's procedural generation. Base building enhances that because I can effectively 'save' my favourite spots by placing a base and teleporter in those so that they can be revisited as I explore forward into space. I think that that aspect really works for me, and I think the breadth of playstyles in No Man's Sky should see most players with at least some element of the game that they enjoy and want to focus on. Whether that be base building, exploration, or trading to acquire better ships whatnot.

The only thing I really wish is that the game didn't feel so crap when it comes to the 'action'. Shooting your blaster feels awful, enemy feedback and AI is terrible and there's not a lot or variety when it comes to hazards in the game. I'd like to see outer worldly hazards like 1000 foot waves and other ridiculousness. At least they added the sand worm.