• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017
I don't see how the PSVR on PS5 wouldn't get upgraded. I mean it sounds like we're playing a ps5 version of the software and not the PS4 version- it's not like they keep a second install of the ps4 version alongside the ps5 install when you install it just so you can play vr with it - or they would say download the ps4 version to play psvr. I think they just mean the psvr hardware is 'backwards compatible' Knowing this game I'll be surprised if it's a locked 60fps.

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I'm wondering about 3D audio on XSX. When Ubisoft published that article the other day about the next gen upgrades they also mentioned Tempest 3D audio for all the PS5 versions but no equivalent for XSX. I hope it's just a request by Sony marketing, why would you not include 3D audio in the XSX version of your game when you are already implementing basically the same thing for the PS5 version?

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Watching the Digital Foundry BC video where they run this on quality (4k) mode, it cannot reach a stable 60 fps on a basic-looking planet. I am not sure what wizardry they will use to make this go 4k (dynamic or not) @ 60 fps. Hopefully it is dynamic and that is enough to allow it to remain stable. Either way, the update looks absolutely incredible.

DarrenM

Oct 28, 2017
I got NMS cheap for PS4 a while ago, like $5 new cheap. But I've yet to try it. Sounds like a good time to jump in. Once I can get a PS5 😒

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
It's being ignored by them for good reason. Before touting a whole slew of upgrades like this, Hello Games still has unfinished business when it comes to their half-hearted support of the PSVR version for PS4 Pro (and soon, PS5) owners. There are some out there who have zero interest in playing 2D NMS, so why not give them a better polished version on machines that are capable?

You can just look at how many PSVR games received Pro upgrades by other dev teams to see why there are complaints. Some of those teams likely have less employees, and they still figure out a way to offer SOMETHING in the way of Pro upgrades.

I mean, off the top of my head I remember reading a few posts from the developer of Ultrawings for the PSVR headset. They put out several free patches in the span of a few weeks where they improved the graphics on 60 fps version and then went back in forth public testing of a 90 fps version with the old visuals.

That dev can't be any more taxed for these type of upgrades than HG with NMS for a strongly requested improvement.

Their VR support is anything but half hearted, lol. C'mon, what is this? Not to mention that you have no idea if the PS5 version of this title in VR is improved or not, so maybe temper those expectations and wait? Not like any of us will be able to dive into VR on PS5 at launch anyway.

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Serious kudos to Hello Games they really stuck by this game and completely transformed it. The game still has it's issues but they mostly righted the ship on this one...

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017
I mean PS5 is pretty much maxed out settings at 4k 60, so you'd need a pretty expensive PC to get more FPS at pretty much same visual quality. I have a 6GB 1060 with a AMD 1600 af and 16GB GDDR4 and I can't even get a solid 60fps at 1080p with medium settings.

also you're missing out 3D audio maybe, as well as DualSense features.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully this gets the game running smoothly. I haven't seen it run that well on my PC or PS4 Pro, so I'm hoping this extra horsepower helps out a lot.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Looking forward to the PSVR upgrade.
Apparently it's not an upgrade at all?

PLAYSTATION VIRTUAL REALITY PSVR owners can continue to experience No Man's Sky in Virtual Reality on PlayStation 5 via the backwards compatibility functionality.
+ the gifs on their site are from the PS4VR reveal trailer. I really really hope this is wrong because if there's a game that needed an update, it's this.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently it's not an upgrade at all?

+ the gifs on their site are from the PS4VR reveal trailer. I really really hope this is wrong because if there's a game that needed an update, it's this.
There's gotta be way better draw distance at the very least. That was my only problem with the current PS4Pro.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
Their VR support is anything but half hearted, lol. C'mon, what is this? Not to mention that you have no idea if the PS5 version of this title in VR is improved or not, so maybe temper those expectations and wait? Not like any of us will be able to dive into VR on PS5 at launch anyway.
I ain't trying to create FUD or anything here but the nonchalant wording in the patch notes of "you can keep using PSVR on PS5 in backwards compatibility mode" with no mention of PSVR updates anywhere else in the patch hints that there is zero difference playing on a PS4, Pro or PS5.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
It's being ignored by them for good reason. Before touting a whole slew of upgrades like this, Hello Games still has unfinished business when it comes to their half-hearted support of the PSVR version for PS4 Pro (and soon, PS5) owners. There are some out there who have zero interest in playing 2D NMS, so why not give them a better polished version on machines that are capable?

You can just look at how many PSVR games received Pro upgrades by other dev teams to see why there are complaints. Some of those teams likely have less employees, and they still figure out a way to offer SOMETHING in the way of Pro upgrades.

I mean, off the top of my head I remember reading a few posts from the developer of Ultrawings for the PSVR headset. They put out several free patches in the span of a few weeks where they improved the graphics on 60 fps version and then went back in forth public testing of a 90 fps version with the old visuals.

That dev can't be any more taxed for these type of upgrades than HG with NMS for a strongly requested improvement.

Are other PSVR dev teams as small as Hello Games? Are they continuously working on patches and content updates for PC, Xbox One, Xbox One X, PS4, and PS4 Pro? And now you've added Xbox Series S, Xbox Series S, and PS5 to their pipeline?

Making video games isn't just "push button to implement awesome." It's a lot of hard work, and Hello Games, while insanely hardworking, is also a very small studio. Over the past 4 years, they've released nearly a dozen significant updates to this game that have exceeded the expectations of what even gamers had back before the title launched on PS4. You compare it to Ultrawings, which, in scope, pales in comparison to what Hello Games is doing with No Man's Sky. You're comparing an open world areal flight game with an extremely stylized visual presentation (I like it, so no shade thrown on them), and a more narrow focus, to a game with a procedurally generated universe (from star systems, to planets, to creatures, so derelict freighters, etc), crafting, exploration on ship, foot, vehicle (with terrain deformation tools), base building, a more complex visual presentation (higher polygon counts in comparison to Ultrawings), all fully playable on PSVR? Really? The Ultrawings team is no doubt small as well, but their game simply isn't on the same level of interlocking systems that have to function as smoothly as possible. They should definitely be commended for supporting Ultrawings with free updates, and continued improvement patches for VR, but you're comparing apples to oranges.

The PSVR is successful, yes, but I don't hold it against Hello Games that they prioritize the platforms with the largest install base (ie, the non-VR platforms), and then, when timing and scheduling allows, will get to the PSVR. It's not a matter of "ignoring" PSVR. It's that their plate is full. They literally just released No Man's Sky: Origins a little over a month ago, and now they are releasing a pretty nice next gen patch for the launch of the next gen consoles in 2 weeks.

Not to mention that all of these updates have to be tested for various issues and bugs, by a team of less than 30 people (2020 numbers says they have 26 employees). A game of the scale and complexity of No Man's Sky, being supported by a team of 26 people, is no easy task. Ensuring that the PSVR mode of NMS is functional on the PS5 no doubt took some work. That's priority number one: Make sure it's compatible at all. Now that the compatibility is functional, they can start to roll out additional improvements that could benefit how the game looks and runs in VR.

I love NMS in PSVR. I most assuredly want them to take advantage of any performance and visual improvements the PS5 can add to that experience, but this stuff takes time. The PS4/Pro/PSVR combo can only do so much. It's more than possible that they hit a wall on what they could accomplish on the PS4/Pro when running NMS in VR, so they pocketed wishlist improvements for the PS5. Maybe they aren't ready in time for launch, and they aren't ready to discuss those improvements just yet, because they know oh too well what happens when expectations aren't met on things that they speak of too soon.

If you seriously think, after all Hello Games has done to support No Man's Sky since it's launch, backlash, and redemption, that they don't care how the VR experience is for their major title, I don't know what to tell you. Not to mention that, knowing their history of setting the groundwork for future updates/patches, they most assuredly have plans to update the VR functionality on the PS5 so that the inevitable jump from PSVR to PSVR2 will be even smoother. I imagine that once the Next Generation patch is certified and released, they will continue to work on the PSVR BC mode to bring it up in quality, and improve that experience until the "actual" PS5 VR solution is announced and released.

I've been excited for NMS on PS5 precisely because of the potential of playing it on PSVR, but I know these things aren't easy to implement, and take time. I can play 2D NMS, and VR NMS no sweat, so I'm excited that there's even a next gen patch coming on launch day. I honestly wasn't expecting a proper next gen update for a while still, and was actually expecting to just enjoy the game through BC on my PS5, and maybe benefit from boost mode increasing performance, and the benefits of some level of faster load times since it's one of the few PS4 titles I'm going to install on the PS5's internal SSD. Getting a proper next gen upgrade for free, is more than I expected, and I certainly don't think I'm owed it. Hello Games has more than done right by NMS owners over the years. AT t his point, I think they've earned a little bit of benefit of the doubt in terms of future support for all versions of NMS in the future. Including the VR versions.

Realistically, there's only so much they can do at once, and I'd rather have them do a few things well, than a bunch of things half assed. I have no doubt that when they patch NMS for PSVR, it's going to be impressive. Then, when PSVR2 releases, it's going to get even better.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
Are other PSVR dev teams as small as Hello Games? Are they continuously working on patches and content updates for PC, Xbox One, Xbox One X, PS4, and PS4 Pro? And now you've added Xbox Series S, Xbox Series S, and PS5 to their pipeline?

Making video games isn't just "push button to implement awesome." It's a lot of hard work, and Hello Games, while insanely hardworking, is also a very small studio. Over the past 4 years, they've released nearly a dozen significant updates to this game that have exceeded the expectations of what even gamers had back before the title launched on PS4. You compare it to Ultrawings, which, in scope, pales in comparison to what Hello Games is doing with No Man's Sky. You're comparing an open world areal flight game with an extremely stylized visual presentation (I like it, so no shade thrown on them), and a more narrow focus, to a game with a procedurally generated universe (from star systems, to planets, to creatures, so derelict freighters, etc), crafting, exploration on ship, foot, vehicle (with terrain deformation tools), base building, a more complex visual presentation (higher polygon counts in comparison to Ultrawings), all fully playable on PSVR? Really? The Ultrawings team is no doubt small as well, but their game simply isn't on the same level of interlocking systems that have to function as smoothly as possible. They should definitely be commended for supporting Ultrawings with free updates, and continued improvement patches for VR, but you're comparing apples to oranges.

The PSVR is successful, yes, but I don't hold it against Hello Games that they prioritize the platforms with the largest install base (ie, the non-VR platforms), and then, when timing and scheduling allows, will get to the PSVR. It's not a matter of "ignoring" PSVR. It's that their plate is full. They literally just released No Man's Sky: Origins a little over a month ago, and now they are releasing a pretty nice next gen patch for the launch of the next gen consoles in 2 weeks.

Not to mention that all of these updates have to be tested for various issues and bugs, by a team of less than 30 people (2020 numbers says they have 26 employees). A game of the scale and complexity of No Man's Sky, being supported by a team of 26 people, is no easy task. Ensuring that the PSVR mode of NMS is functional on the PS5 no doubt took some work. That's priority number one: Make sure it's compatible at all. Now that the compatibility is functional, they can start to roll out additional improvements that could benefit how the game looks and runs in VR.

I love NMS in PSVR. I most assuredly want them to take advantage of any performance and visual improvements the PS5 can add to that experience, but this stuff takes time. The PS4/Pro/PSVR combo can only do so much. It's more than possible that they hit a wall on what they could accomplish on the PS4/Pro when running NMS in VR, so they pocketed wishlist improvements for the PS5. Maybe they aren't ready in time for launch, and they aren't ready to discuss those improvements just yet, because they know oh too well what happens when expectations aren't met on things that they speak of too soon.

If you seriously think, after all Hello Games has done to support No Man's Sky since it's launch, backlash, and redemption, that they don't care how the VR experience is for their major title, I don't know what to tell you. Not to mention that, knowing their history of setting the groundwork for future updates/patches, they most assuredly have plans to update the VR functionality on the PS5 so that the inevitable jump from PSVR to PSVR2 will be even smoother. I imagine that once the Next Generation patch is certified and released, they will continue to work on the PSVR BC mode to bring it up in quality, and improve that experience until the "actual" PS5 VR solution is announced and released.

I've been excited for NMS on PS5 precisely because of the potential of playing it on PSVR, but I know these things aren't easy to implement, and take time. I can play 2D NMS, and VR NMS no sweat, so I'm excited that there's even a next gen patch coming on launch day. I honestly wasn't expecting a proper next gen update for a while still, and was actually expecting to just enjoy the game through BC on my PS5, and maybe benefit from boost mode increasing performance, and the benefits of some level of faster load times since it's one of the few PS4 titles I'm going to install on the PS5's internal SSD. Getting a proper next gen upgrade for free, is more than I expected, and I certainly don't think I'm owed it. Hello Games has more than done right by NMS owners over the years. AT t his point, I think they've earned a little bit of benefit of the doubt in terms of future support for all versions of NMS in the future. Including the VR versions.

Realistically, there's only so much they can do at once, and I'd rather have them do a few things well, than a bunch of things half assed. I have no doubt that when they patch NMS for PSVR, it's going to be impressive. Then, when PSVR2 releases, it's going to get even better.
Nope, no excuses.

They took the time to put out the PSVR version, right? Then either do it right or skip it altogether. None of this half-hearted nonsense that doesn't even take advantage of extra resources to make that version look decent on the Pro.

And yes, there are an absolute TON of small devs making games for PSVR, and they put out Pro upgrades without excuses. And what would be acceptable for Hello Games? A mild supersample pass or some decent resolution tweaks like what other devs added? How is that overly taxing when so many others have done a lot more?

No one is asking them to push it to the limit. I mean, they could even get away with using, say, only 25% of what the Pro can do so they wouldn't have to stress test it too much for expediency. A reasonable attempt to finish what they started is not too much to ask.

Look at the announced XSS version, for example. Despite the dev supporting a lot more platforms as part of your argument, that version will allow players to choose performance or visuals. If they were struggling to put out these type of updates (something they've never claimed AFAIK), then why not offer at least some kind of enhancement for Pro owners on the PSVR?

So they've now dropped the ball twice for the system, assuming they don't secretly patch in upgrades. I mean, when have they ever been shy about announcing new stuff they've added? I doubt the BC version of the PSVR mode on the PS5 was even slightly enhanced visually by HG.

No excuses.

Last edited:

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've had the PC version sitting in my Steam account for a long time, never touching it. Maybe this will be the time!

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Wow. They continue to impress. I was a day 1 on this game and revisit it after every major update. Will do the same on PS5

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
This is everything I hoped for. God is real.
tenor.gif

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
The continued support is astounding. I feel like this goodwill will help the launch of their next game, as long as they don't promise too much again lol.

the PC most people have yes.

Eh, by that logic every multiplatform game is best played on consoles. Which is clearly not true.

Heck, this doesn't even have a 120FPS mode or mods.

SirNick

Aug 26, 2020
Great news, will def download and revisit the game. The only thing I wish they would've done is to give us the dynamic theme (NMS Limited Edition) that was promised but never delivered. At this point Idc but kinda expected they would deliver it by now.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
I mean PS5 is pretty much maxed out settings at 4k 60, so you'd need a pretty expensive PC to get more FPS at pretty much same visual quality. I have a 6GB 1060 with a AMD 1600 af and 16GB GDDR4 and I can't even get a solid 60fps at 1080p with medium settings.

also you're missing out 3D audio maybe, as well as DualSense features.
I can get a mostly 60fps experience at 1080p with a Ryzen 5 3600, 16GB and 1660 Ti (a modest system at this point) on Ultra settings but with shadows turned down to Enhanced (a high shadow setting really cripples the performance in some places, particularly dense forests). If they've been optimising for the better hardware in PS5 we might see some of those technical improvements make there way to PC. I hope so anyway! I would hate to see a repeat of what happened when the game launched and I couldn't play it on my PC at the time while, crashes aside, it ran fine on my PS4.

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm, I think by the time I finally got around to playing the launch copy I bought the trade in value was really low so I might just have the disc around somewhere!

Let's see

Edit - Sweet, still own it

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017
I can get a mostly 60fps experience at 1080p with a Ryzen 5 3600, 16GB and 1660 Ti (a modest system at this point) on Ultra settings but with shadows turned down to Enhanced (a high shadow setting really cripples the performance in some places, particularly dense forests). If they've been optimising for the better hardware in PS5 we might see some of those technical improvements make there way to PC. I hope so anyway! I would hate to see a repeat of what happened when the game launched and I couldn't play it on my PC at the time while, crashes aside, it ran fine on my PS4.
Just that video card and CPU alone are about the cost of a ps5 and you still have to drop at least one setting (and at 1080p not 4K), but yeah I'm sure they will have optimized the PC version as well, and definitely more to look forward to.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
Just that video card and CPU alone are about the cost of a ps5 and you still have to drop at least one setting (and at 1080p not 4K), but yeah I'm sure they will have optimized the PC version as well, and definitely more to look forward to.
I think the value of PC components is a much deeper topic than just comparing it directly with what a console can do but the 1660 Ti isn't worth buying at this point anyway. It was kind of undercut by Nvidia's own slightly less powerful, cheaper but better value 1660 Super.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Watching the Digital Foundry BC video where they run this on quality (4k) mode, it cannot reach a stable 60 fps on a basic-looking planet. I am not sure what wizardry they will use to make this go 4k (dynamic or not) @ 60 fps. Hopefully it is dynamic and that is enough to allow it to remain stable. Either way, the update looks absolutely incredible.
As someone said earlier in the thread being procedurally generated NMS is far more heavily reliant on CPU for the game world than most titles. This update looks like it's built around the next-gen ones which are far, far more capable than the CPUs in the current-gen machines.

ThiefofDreams

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ahh, I was confused for a sec since both new consoles are getting this upgrade. Makes more sense if you mean to a new PS5 only. We need cross platform saving.
Yeah. HG has done so much, so I wouldn't harp on them for it, but being able to jump from pc, to xbox, to ps5 would be great. I can do it now from pc to xbox, and I am getting a series X, but the convenience would be so nice.

Crumpo

Oct 28, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
I couldn't work out from the announcement if the enhanced PS5 version is supported on psvr...its implied that it isn't, since it says "via back compat", which is a shame. Is Hitman 3 PS5 version supporting psvr? It doesn't seem clear if we'll get any PS5 games on psvr...

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As someone said earlier in the thread being procedurally generated NMS is far more heavily reliant on CPU for the game world than most titles. This update looks like it's built around the next-gen ones which are far, far more capable than the CPUs in the current-gen machines.
The DF video I am referring to was the Xbox Series X running the game in the 4K mode without the 30 fps cap. Sorry for not clarifying that.

I am assuming optimizations can be made for the newer hardware that could provide more capability than it has when running the unpatched BC mode? This is something I don't fully grasp.

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
And yes, there are an absolute TON of small devs making games for PSVR, and they put out Pro upgrades without excuses.
There are not an absolute ton of small devs who made massive open world games for 2d screens first and then adapted absolutely everything in the game, including 3 years of updates, to VR.

Look at the announced XSS version, for example. Despite the dev supporting a lot more platforms as part of your argument, that version will allow players to choose performance or visuals.
You're comparing apples and oranges again. Preparing performance and HQ visuals modes to cater to personal preference is not the same as having to ensure an absolute baseline framerate no matter where they go or what they do in a vast open world game in order to avoid making people sick in VR.

If they were struggling to put out these type of updates (something they've never claimed AFAIK)
Because if they're not struggling, crack that whip and work 'em to the bone, amirite?

They've never claimed to not be struggling either, but interesting that you'd assume silence means all good, cuz we know how that typically goes in this industry...

They certainly have made comments about adjusting for Covid-19 this year so I think it's fair to say that working on these updates hasn't been without challenge. I think it would also at least be safe to say that the team is probably working at or near capacity, what with all the updates to NMS this year, the release of The Last Campfire and another unannounced project in the works that they've hinted is sizable and fairly ambitious.

Last edited:

xem

Oct 31, 2017
Vs the PS5 that NO BODY has.
the point of the comparison is value for money. otherwise if you just say "PC" its literally holds no meaning. say i9 w/ a 2080ti or give me a price etc. a technical comparison without mentioning the money is pointless in so many ways because the money involved is in direct correlation to how things typically perform.

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
the point of the comparison is value for money. otherwise if you just say "PC" its literally holds no meaning. say i9 w/ a 2080ti or give me a price etc. a technical comparison without mentioning the money is pointless in so many ways because the money involved is in direct correlation to how things typically perform.

Why is money relevant at all? It's arbitrary. I could point out that there are more PC gamers RIGHT NOW with specs that will allow them to play this game as it was meant to be played than there will be PS5's in the first entire year of its release.

Isn't that more relevant?

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
not a genre im interested,
but huge respect for these guys, turning around all that negativity at start and coming on top.
really inspiring stuff