• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Magog

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
I want to be in whatever planet they're on.

I bought the game due to PS5 enhancements that they showed, thinking "wow, this is an actual game now". However, playing the game I realized why I stopped playing in the first place.

The lifeforms are utter garbage and as scarce as they can be. The world is dead beside drones looking to shoot at whenever you want to progress.

Will try this update as well, but I doubt I can find lifeforms or planets as luxurious as shown in the trailer.

That wasn't my experience at all. I had little buggers wherever I went.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
So...what is the game loop? Is that a dumb/too broad question? That is installed on both my PC and xbox and all I have ever done is play the first 15-20 minutes of the game 4-5 times. This seems like a game I should love more than any other and take over any time I spend on MMOs or GaaS (sci fi, space ships, exploration, etc). I just...am not sure I understand the point of the game? Is their story? Gear? Can you be a mercenary, an explorer, etc.

Or if anyone knows, shoot me a link to something to read and I will happily do that. Really curious what type of game this ended up being since they keep adding so much more.

The game is an open world survival sandbox. There are definite main story questlines to work towards particularly the Awakenings and Atlas Path quest lines. But they serve mainly as tutorials/guides on the various systems of the game rather than real structured story content. That being said as a sci-fi nerd and someone who has played NMS since day 1 I actually dug the lore which they turned into sort of a meta narrative.

The start of the game is a little on rails even though they plop you into a random star system. Once you get past the first 5-10 hours or so it really opens up. The core of the game comes down to playing it how you enjoy it. There are a lot of treadmills to work on and you can kind of focus on whichever one you please. There's a fleet management mechanic, ship, suit, and weapon upgrades to hunt for, cosmetics for your ship, base, and character you can earn. Many people enjoy the base building and farming aspect to amass massive amounts of wealth so they can buy whatever ship, weapon, or upgrades they want, others focus on the exploration aspect looking for idyllic planets for bases or specific types of animals (which this update seems to double down on.), you can go on dino bone excavating expeditions, or be more combat focussed. Personally I like to dabble in all the systems but never really go super deep into one.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
So how do you get your pet to scout/scan/do things? I appear to have earned its trust but maybe my percentage isn't high enough and that's unlocked later?

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
The game is an open world survival sandbox. There are definite main story questlines to work towards particularly the Awakenings and Atlas Path quest lines. But they serve mainly as tutorials/guides on the various systems of the game rather than real structured story content. That being said as a sci-fi nerd and someone who has played NMS since day 1 I actually dug the lore which they turned into sort of a meta narrative.

The start of the game is a little on rails even though they plop you into a random star system. Once you get past the first 5-10 hours or so it really opens up. The core of the game comes down to playing it how you enjoy it. There are a lot of treadmills to work on and you can kind of focus on whichever one you please. There's a fleet management mechanic, ship, suit, and weapon upgrades to hunt for, cosmetics for your ship, base, and character you can earn. Many people enjoy the base building and farming aspect to amass massive amounts of wealth so they can buy whatever ship, weapon, or upgrades they want, others focus on the exploration aspect looking for idyllic planets for bases or specific types of animals (which this update seems to double down on.), you can go on dino bone excavating expeditions, or be more combat focussed. Personally I like to dabble in all the systems but never really go super deep into one.
Thanks for this super thorough explanation! I really do think this is something I would love, I just need to get through some of the other huge open world games I have on my backlog before I feel like I can jump into something like this.

Feenix

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2017
Can I ask a general question here? About upgrades modules? I sort of spent early days hunting S class modules til I had maxed my capacity. My Jetpack jump is great, etc.

does the hunt end at getting S-class or do the actual details /specs on the S-class mod make any tangible difference? Am I going to find an S-class jet pack mod one day that handles significantly differently (stats-wise) than the S-class mod I already have installed?
Like, should I look for BETTER Analysis visor S mods to make even better money?

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a youtube summary anywhere going over all the improvements since launch? Supposedly this is a completely different game?

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I have it on pc. Worth grabbing on PS5?

The PS5 version is maxed out graphics, 4K and 60 FPS with DualSense support and very fast loading . If you can't max it out on PC and don't have a SSD and want to enjoy DS features, PS activities, PS VR and 3D Audio, then maybe you want to consider the PS5 version. I still think it will land free through PS Plus some day though.

Last edited:

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
What's this area that we see at 1:10? Is it a player ship ?
Nexus. MP hub/lobby that is freely accessible to summon when in outer space off-planet.
the PS5 version is maxed out graphics, 4K and 60 FPS with DualSense support and very fast loading . If you can't max it out on PC and don't have a SSD and want to enjoy DS features, PS activities, PS VR and 3D Audio, then maybe you want to consider the PS5 version. I still think it will land free through PS Plus some day though.

Btw: There are mroe detaisl here about Companions: https://www.nomanssky.com/companions-update/
Don't forget tailored VR settings too. Will probably be even more optimized for the next psvr
Can I ask a general question here? About upgrades modules? I sort of spent early days hunting S class modules til I had maxed my capacity. My Jetpack jump is great, etc.

does the hunt end at getting S-class or do the actual details /specs on the S-class mod make any tangible difference? Am I going to find an S-class jet pack mod one day that handles significantly differently (stats-wise) than the S-class mod I already have installed?
Personally only the visors are worth meddling with additional S-rank "rolls"

Not really worth going out of your way for, but if you're bored it's a thing you can do lol

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
So, with the variety of animals it appears that not all of the animations have been ironed out. I managed to tame a 'Turtle Dog' (my own discovery) which is a large shelled dog looking thing, but when I go to ride it I end up sitting hovering on top of its head.

It looks hilarious. I'll try to get a photo tonight.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
8F3F2AFB352F5DEDB45A6F8CECEE8670F65AD651
085D95281C68A77708758AD441CB3E318180AA4C

Finally able to play. My first pet, auto-named Bovidoop. Perfectly named and I'm in love already lol.

Heads up, they've added LOTS of new pieces for fauna so even animals you've 'discovered' already are re-rolled with new pieces or completely just new creatures.... like Bovidoop here. I was just looking at my most recent explored planets and was surprised by how many new creatures/pieces there were.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
9954230F74608C254C67E657083435662C891E0D

So many cool new creatures! Techno-mush umbrella back Horizon Zero Dawn thing.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
I wish they would move on and start a sequel or whatever so that we can get some next-gen level stuff. I want to see stuff they probably can't do as easily on last-gen hardware like biomes, HUGE canyons/mountains, smarter creatures, etc.

ManOfWar

Jan 6, 2020
Brazil
I did play this quite a bit back in 2016, but ended up putting it aside waiting for updates and just never got back at it. Now, tried to get back at it with the PS5 but there is. so. much. content! and things to do that I got really overwhelmed and just stopped playing again.

I'm not saying that the increase in content is bad, it is absolutely not, specially seeing the state the game came out. But I didn't find a way to explore and advance in the game without the impression that I was doing everything wrong, missing important stuff and going on cluelessly about things... so, in the end, pushed it aside yet again.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
I did play this quite a bit back in 2016, but ended up putting it aside waiting for updates and just never got back at it. Now, tried to get back at it with the PS5 but there is. so. much. content! and things to do that I got really overwhelmed and just stopped playing again.

I'm not saying that the increase in content is bad, it is absolutely not, specially seeing the state the game came out. But I didn't find a way to explore and advance in the game without the impression that I was doing everything wrong, missing important stuff and going on cluelessly about things... so, in the end, pushed it aside yet again.
I know exactly what you mean. I love space games, but NMS is kind of messy and overwhelming in its presentation. I never can get into the mood of calm space/planet exploration, because there are a hundred different things/tasks being thrown at me, and keeping track of everything is kind of daunting.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
It doesn't help that they try and introduce everything all at once. Like, here's shelter building, here's a freighter, here's the nexus, here's all the story stuff and base missions and atlas path.

Oct 27, 2017
I really want to play this, but its a no go on PS4. It makes such an astonishing noise that even headphones can't cover the fans so I guess I'll just wait until I eventually get a PS5 to play it properly.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
My ps4 backlog is huge but I need a ps5 game to play when the kids are logged into the ps4's. It's also on sale for ÂŁ20, seems like a no brainer.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Haven't feature introductions been spread out over a number of updates?
Sure, but they have been able to do so many post-launch support updates because each update brings in new players/buyers. A new player jumping in now is inundated with pop ups, prompts, and required tutorials.

It's the Destiny 2 and GTA Online problem. Great if you were there day one to follow along. Good if you have friends to drag you along. Overwhelming and confusing and off-putting if you're just showing up.

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017

Probably depends on the stack you have of any given mod. If you have 3 S-mods for a given tech and they all show roughly the same stats level, you're probably maxed and can't do much more there. But if you have 3 S-mods with some significant variance in stats, there might still be worth a hunt to get the lower two to max out like the highest.

And there's also certain traders in the game who sell X-class mods now...which will apparently very rarely go higher than S-class. But shit's like playing the lottery.
So, with the variety of animals it appears that not all of the animations have been ironed out. I managed to tame a 'Turtle Dog' (my own discovery) which is a large shelled dog looking thing, but when I go to ride it I end up sitting hovering on top of its head.

It looks hilarious. I'll try to get a photo tonight.
They've apparently fixed this in the latest patch that came out in the past 24 hrs.

ManOfWar

Jan 6, 2020
Brazil
It doesn't help that they try and introduce everything all at once. Like, here's shelter building, here's a freighter, here's the nexus, here's all the story stuff and base missions and atlas path.

Haven't feature introductions been spread out over a number of updates?

Exactly what Unicorn said. Started from zero again in December, knowing the basics survive -> explore -> fix ship -> go to space -> craft things and jump to another system intro from my early days. But as soon as I got this done, a wild variety of pop-ups kept showing and directing me towards a number of things that I initially thought were connected, since I assumed the game was presenting me only with quests that I was able to tackle at that time, but now, as I understand it, seems like the systems just unlock all at once, and good luck to you trying to understand them all.

Back to my playthrough: lost track of what I was doing when the barrage fell, tried to make sense of what was my priority to build a station because I had found a nice planet... but then, "hey, have you noticed this huge space freighter? It's yours because you saved from space pirates!", oh, that's nice, I think and next thing is "Now, go after a tangent for 10 hours so you can fully recruit crew and send your fleet to missions!"; "Oh do you wanna recruit me? Hey, sorry, you don't have a science lab or something at your freighter/base, so no deal"; so you go after building those things, which is quite a grind for a newcommer; "Ah, I see you have some blueprints to improve your ship and freighter, which would help you to no end, but nope, you have to grind for this, so here it's a massive time consuming materials scavenge hunt for you (this, as I understand, isn't that bad when you have ways to mine things, but as a newcommer? Though)"; Oh, you wanna check this system out? Full of exotic planets? Oh sorry, you should really have had upgraded your gear like 45 hours ago. "Hey, I see you are close to a body of water, what do you think about building a under water base? And a sub? Go fetch those things!"; "Hum, so you have found some piece of lore? How about 30 hours searching for ruins/monolits?"; "Have you ever got around to get missions on the space station?"; "I see you wanna open that crate and door, but you forgot to unlock your Atlas Pass buddy, sorry"...

Sorry for the wall of text, but it serves a purpose: it is how NMS feel now to a newbie and all those things happen basically at the same time.

It's like this all the time. It's impossible. Feels really overwhelming, the UI isn't that clear to keep track of things and you don't get a particular sense of structure, of what is more important, or crucially: what should I do first so that I can progress whenever I choose to follow anyone of those tangents? Because worse than being sufocated by stuff to do you can't understand, is trying to do them only to find you really shouldn't because you are still under equipped to tackle those tasks.

The "let's now start building the under water base" thing was my breaking point.

Last edited:

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
Will it walk me through on how to get a pet if I start a new game?
There's not much to walk-through. Walk up to most land-bound creatures and if you see the option to feed them, do it. While they feed, interact again and a menu appears that shows the option to adopt as a pet. You do need to have crafted the pellets that are used as food.

Oct 27, 2017
There's not much to walk-through. Walk up to most land-bound creatures and if you see the option to feed them, do it. While they feed, interact again and a menu appears that shows the option to adopt as a pet. You do need to have crafted the pellets that are used as food.
great. Is feeding them afterwards the o my requirement? Can they die from starvation etc?

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Finally have an egg - really dumb they need to be on a planet of their preferred biome to lay the egg. That isn't explained anywhere and could lead to frustration.

Also these 24 hour timers are so dumb. They were dumb with the living ship, they were dumb when they multiplied them 10x for frigate expeditions, and they are dumb now. 24 hours to lay an egg regardless of how well I treat my tamagotchi. 24 hours to hatch an egg regardless of how I experiment with it, and I hear even longer timers for maturation (that'd less dumb, I guess).

Just feels barebones in implementation when a pellet is enough to claim them. A couple pats back to back enough to max happiness. A pellet or two to fill their hunger. Just so weird to have some functions be near immediate and some functions are hyperbolically long.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Oh my, missed this one. Looks like I'll be spending a decent chunk of the coming month back in my universe. Goes without saying but Hello Games continue to knock it out of the park even this far from release. Big respect.

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017
Is this game looking extremely blown out a PS5 issue? I don't remember this being this bad, this is 20 gamma....like literally wut. It's not always this bad but I've had frequent issues

Also really hard to see text often