• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
No more floating orbs? Community missions will be pretty crazy now then.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
God, every single f'n developer out there should learn from them how GAAS support should be. Every single update from them could easily be a 40 bucks add-on and they give it to us for free. It's just mind-blowing what they do with this game. This is game extension on a whole new level.

As fucked up as the release was, everything after that impresses me again and again. It's such an incredible good game now.

thezboson

Oct 27, 2017
Since they have been carefully listening to their fanbase since release, I think the three parts are;
1. Online
2. Better proc gen (in an offline mode perhaps?)
3. VR
These are thing most often asked for.

Do people restart the game with every update? I'm still waiting for the game to be completed before playing.
I do. The game has been a varied experience and changed dramatically throught its life. I still long for the lonely, almost anxious experience that was 1.0. If I were you, I would try to experience every version of the game.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Are there any kinds of MTX or paid DLCs for this game? Or are they still trying to set their initial fuck-up right?

BIGLukas

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I put about 30 hours in for the first time after the last update and really genuinely enjoyed it. I could see myself getting back into it with this one.

Thizzles

Banned
Feb 9, 2019
Their continued focus on online features feels like a middle finger directed at people who liked what the game presented itself as at launch. I wish there still was a way to play the No Man's Sky I paid for.
So we're at the point where were complaining that they made it what it originally was supposed to be. Interesting

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Man, I remember playing a lot when the NEXT update came, but eventually dropped it when I couldn't decide where I wanted my base lol

Theorising about VR in that tweet comment thread.

No lie: if it delivered, I would be way tempted to get a PS4 & VR for that.

As much I would want it, a VR version is possible on PS4? I remember the game having still performance issues.

Do people restart the game with every update? I'm still waiting for the game to be completed before playing.

I was about to restart the game with the NEXT update, but remembered I found a good ship and I was unable to part ways with it lol

smart patrol

Oct 27, 2017
how is performance on ps4 pro? on my pc it sucks even though i have a good pc
I briefly scanned a DF article saying 1080p60 was locked in.
It ran close to 60fps frequently on PS4 Pro prior to the NEXT update. I don't have any numbers nowadays but it definitely does not run at 60 these days unless you're in a space station. Probably 40-45 FPS on average I'm guessing? Kind of a shame because the game feels sooo much better to play at a high framerate.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
The claim this will be a bigger update than NEXT has me hyped af. But TBH I wish they would have kept it as 3 separate updates. I'm already getting anxious for more info. The wait for summer is going to be unbearable.

Hopefully they are a bit more free with teasers and hints than the buildup to NEXT.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
So we're at the point where were complaining that they made it what it originally was supposed to be. Interesting
What it was supposed to be and what you imagined it to be are two different things. The game was clearly never supposed to be what it is today because what it turned into renders the size of its universe entirely meaningless.

Thizzles

Banned
Feb 9, 2019
What it was supposed to be and what you imagined it to be are two different things. The game was clearly never supposed to be what it is today because what it turned into renders the size of its universe entirely meaningless.
It was always supposed to have other people. That's why there was such an outrage over not being able to interact with other people. If anything they've been fixing it so it's like what was originally shown. Hence why people are happy about all the updates basically fixing the game

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
This ran like crap on my PC last time I tried it, but I've at least upgraded my gfx card since then so maybe I'll give it another shot.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so confused. I thought this game always had some degree of multiplayer/online...this is going to be the first time it contains online gameplay??

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
They've come a long way since launch. Always nice to see a dev strive to correct their mistakes instead of just moving on.

Hopefully Bioware and Bethesda will take some cues from them.

Deleted member 38706

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 19, 2018
I am a bit confused as well, but I'm still excited nevertheless. It's great to have an expanded multi-player. Really, how far can Hello Games go with all these free updates? They've more than made up for the initial mistakes.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
NMS is very much about my own slow, solo journey through the cosmos so I'm not really interested in hooking up with other players, but this sounds like it could be really neat nonetheless. Excited to see what else they have cooking.

Kudos to Hello Games for supporting this with massive free updates for so long. As someone who loved it from Day 1 it's pretty incredible how far it's come.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so confused. I thought this game always had some degree of multiplayer/online...this is going to be the first time it contains online gameplay??

At launch it was only sharing/naming animals and discoveries.

Foundation added base sharing ~6 months after release.

Atlas rises added dark souls esque shadow representation of up to 16 players in summer 2017.

NEXT added true MP for up to 4 players at a time, multiplayer missions, and community events to get players to congregate on planets and established a bunch of player made hubs.

They've been slowly expanding on the MP functionality with each major update.

Oct 30, 2017
EDIT: beaten above

They introduced 4 player online co-op in the last massive update last summer as before you could only see orbs of other players from the update before that. Sounds like they are expanding the online component even more.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
All I want, is those stupid floating robots to go away. I hate that they are on every world and are constantly surveying you, kills the expansive feel.

It's incredible they are still supporting this, almost makes me feel bad for them... let me pay you for something...

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
I would love nothing more than to see my exotic ship up close in person in VR. I had fun in NMS when it had co-op, But we gave it up, VR would make us all jump right back in!

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
Major respect to Hello Games. I thought the harassment and demonizing of the team was way too far – was it a disappointment? Yes. Did they deserve an unending torrent of wildly venomous personal attacks? No fucking way – so it's good to see them working diligently since release on making the game into something better. Disappearing from view and just working on it for years was the right choice given the circumstances. And, honestly, it says more about the company than releasing a bad game lacking promised features after an out of control marketing and hype cycle.

All I want, is those stupid floating robots to go away. I hate that they are on every world and are constantly surveying you, kills the expansive feel.

It's incredible they are still supporting this, almost makes me feel bad for them... let me pay you for something...

This is a great point, they needed to reduce that big time. Hopefully something to replace that system is one of the planned features of this expansion.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Love their dedication I hope they can monetize this game in the future in some way cause I would love for it to receive a few more years of great support.

Haunted

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
No Man's Sky is a brilliant game with excellent post launch support, even though I must say that the direction they`ve taken (base building, more player interaction, now a completely MMO experience) hasn't really been my cup of tea.

Will probably jump back in for the first time since launch when that new expansion hits.

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
From that teaser vid, it looks at least a couple of things can be surmised...looks like there's ship color customization now or they are expanding the color schemes that can be procedurally generated, because I don't I've ever seen that color combo on a ship in game so far.

And then of course there's that massive new landing area for, what? Revamped space station or Atlas? Massive new freighter type? Something else entirely new?

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Really happy to see continued support, they really have turned the game around.

I actually had a good time with vanilla NMS but it definitely wasn't exactly what it was cracked up to be from the marketing and, let's politely say hopeful, comments from Sean pre-launch about what was possible

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
I am a bit confused as well, but I'm still excited nevertheless. It's great to have an expanded multi-player. Really, how far can Hello Games go with all these free updates? They've more than made up for the initial mistakes.

They get a big boost in new sales everytime they put up an update, not to mention their backlog of initial sales money. Im not surprised at this. They could probably do this for years more if they want to. This was their plan from the start after all.

striderno9

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
New York, NY
EverytimeNMS updates I get the urge to play it. I put in about an hour or two of time and then fall off. I want to like this game so much more than I do. and true to form I'll pick up and play NMS more with this update. Hoping it sticks this time.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Turning NMS into a MMO type of experience is exactly the path I didn't want it to go down. Hopefully the other two mystery parts of this update offer more for single-player gameplay.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Turning NMS into a MMO type of experience is exactly the path I didn't want it to go down. Hopefully the other two mystery parts of this update offer more for single-player gameplay.
They are clearly not online related, as he explained they were meant to be quicker updates like Visions and the ocean one but they decided to combine them into one. Also calling it NMS Online might imply its still a mode you have to activate.