• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
5104.jpg

Cultured meat, produced in bioreactors without the slaughter of an animal, has been approved for sale by a regulatory authority for the first time. The development has been hailed as a landmark moment across the meat industry.

The "chicken bites", produced by the US company Eat Just, have passed a safety review by the Singapore Food Agency and the approval could open the door to a future when all meat is produced without the killing of livestock, the company said.

The cells for Eat Just's product are grown in a 1,200-litre bioreactor and then combined with plant-based ingredients. Initial availability would be limited, the company said, and the bites would be sold in a restaurant in Singapore. The product would be significantly more expensive than conventional chicken until production was scaled up, but Eat Just said it would ultimately be cheaper.

The cells used to start the process came from a cell bank and did not require the slaughter of a chicken because cells can be taken from biopsies of live animals. The nutrients supplied to the growing cells were all from plants.

The growth medium for the Singapore production line includes foetal bovine serum, which is extracted from foetal blood, but this is largely removed before consumption. A plant-based serum would be used in the next production line, the company said, but was not available when the Singapore approval process began two years ago.

"The [Eat Just approval] is a very big deal for the future of meat production globally," said Bruce Friedrich, at the non-profit Good Food Institute in the US. "A new space race for the future of food is under way." He said cultivated meat was unlikely to become mainstream for some years, until it matched the cost of conventional meat.

A recent report form the global consultancy AT Kearney predicted that most meat in 2040 would not come from dead animals. The firm's Carsten Gerhardt said: "Approval in an innovation hotspot like Singapore already in 2020 could fast-forward market entry in other developed nations. In the long run we are convinced that cultured meat will address the health and environmental impact issues that traditional meat has when produced in a highly industrialised way."

Gerhardt said he expected cultured meat would replace cuts of traditional meat, but that plant-based products, which were less expensive, were more likely to replace burgers and sausages.

www.theguardian.com

No-kill, lab-grown meat to go on sale for first time

Singapore’s approval of chicken cells grown in bioreactors is seen as landmark moment across industry

Supha_Volt

Nov 3, 2017
That's awesome! It would be interesting to see how things play out once production ramps up and they are able to get the price below what it is for slaughtered animals

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
This is what I've been waiting for. Also curious to see how this will affect the concept of vegetarianism if it takes off. Will there be a new terminology for people who eat synthetic meat but not animal meat?

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
I know a lot of people (maybe not here, but in the general public) see lab-grown meat as "unnatural" and disgusting, but I hope this becomes a trend soon. It would be wonderful to eat something with the texture of meat that doesn't A: harm any animals or B: contribute in a very direct way to carbon emissions.

EDIT: If indeed this cultured meat helps to reduce carbon emissions, of course.

Nov 8, 2017
Great. I'm not expecting mainstream, cost effective stuff for many years to come but I'd be happy to eventually transition to this sort of thing.

It has major implications on agriculture, of course. Not looking forward to the political fighting over this.

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Great. I'm not expecting mainstream, cost effective stuff for many years to come but I'd be happy to eventually transition to this sort of thing.

It has major implications on agriculture, of course. Not looking forward to the political fighting over this.
If it's not cost effective, then it's not going to solve anything.

Oct 25, 2017
Prepared to read lots of "no animals were harmed in the making of this _____" jokes in ledes and such over the next five years

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
If they can win the price war with this thing, the usual complaints about it will fall by the wayside as cost-effectiveness wins.

Just like Americans that resent Chinese manufacturing, but are unwilling to pay higher prices for Made In America products compared to the cheaper priced Chinese stuff.

rainz

Nov 1, 2017
Awesome!
Look forward to the day we look back on live agricultural farming in disbelief that we ever did it as a species.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
I know a lot of people (maybe not here, but in the general public) see lab-grown meat as "unnatural" and disgusting, but I hope this becomes a trend soon. It would be wonderful to eat something with the texture of meat that doesn't A: harm any animals or B: contribute in a very direct way to carbon emissions.

EDIT: If indeed this cultured meat helps to reduce carbon emissions, of course.
It's not like they're eating anywhere close to the advertised "meat" with the average mass produced product as it is.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just lab grow dark meat, that's all I'm asking for. Make it worth my while.
There's a reason chicken nuggets are first here, it's because they're ground up so getting structure right is kind of irrelevant as long as the general ratios of cell types are on point. Making something with correct structure isn't impossible and we are making advances in that regard, but it's way more difficult and complicated

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
wouldn't we still need back up animals or would this be completely sustainable on its own? If it takes off would farm animals go extinct? There would be no need to keep a whole animal if you can just grow what you need like plants.

Aegus

Oct 29, 2017
This might be a bit early but could this tech be used to create the different flavour profiles in the variety of animals. E.g. Kobe Vs Angus beef.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
It's not like they're eating anywhere close to the advertised "meat" with the average mass produced product as it is.

Absolutely, but every time I bring up "artificial" meat with the people around me they don't just protest against it, they seem to get mad at the very idea of it, like the people making the stuff are all Frankensteins upsetting the natural order of things, haha. It's kind of weird how upset they seem to get. I know it's anecdotal, but a lot of the people interviewed about it on the news seem to react the same way.

I hope some of the recent acceptance of products like Beyond Meat will loosen some people's opinions on artificial meat as well.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
I'm imagining a mass scale lab grown meat farm, it's both counts fascinating and potentially grotesque and horrific.

Oct 27, 2017
So assuming everything works well with and it is cheaper, more carbon efficient, and as tasty/nutritious/safe as conventional meat, won't this immediately make the gigantic animal-raising industry obsolete? There would be a few artisanal producers left but there would be millions of people who would have to be retrained. You have to consider both the ranchers/meatpacking plant employees as well as the farmers growing the grain that feeds the animals.

It is one thing to consider before this gets final regulatory approval in any country that has a sizable agricultural industry.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So assuming everything works well with and it is cheaper, more carbon efficient, and as tasty/nutritious/safe as conventional meat, won't this immediately make the gigantic animal-raising industry obsolete? There would be a few artisanal producers left but there would be millions of people who would have to be retrained. You have to consider both the ranchers/meatpacking plant employees as well as the farmers growing the grain that feeds the animals.

It is one thing to consider before this gets final regulatory approval in any country that has a sizable agricultural industry.
I mean we're still a long way of being able to do this with any form of meat that requires structure like a steak or a chicken wing. So ideally we would begin finding ways to wind down those industries now and begin funding transition programs ahead of time so that this won't be an issue by the time the technology is perfectly ready. I mean mind you this almost certainly won't happen because people hate planning ahead, but we do have plenty of time now. Plenty of industries have died in the past too, we shouldn't let that in and of itself deny progress especially when ending the industry would be a huge boon for stuff like climate change

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This might be a bit early but could this tech be used to create the different flavour profiles in the variety of animals. E.g. Kobe Vs Angus beef.
Think bigger.

chicken that tastes like beef. Or fish that taste like pork. You can design the meat to have any flavor you want. Maybe even mixed meat hybrids. Shrimp/chicken.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Im wondering if this can be used on fish/shellfish for those that have allergies
Unless the allergy is tied more to the food the shellfish have been eating, this isn't going to help with something like that at all even in a perfect version of the technology. The cells produced are still going to be identical to the animal they were cultured from, so the proteins that cause the allergy aren't going to disappear. SOmething like fine tuning and controlling the marbling on a steak might be possible with advanced culturing techniques, but unless you're using genetically modified shellfish or something you aren't changing the chemical composition of the meat on a protein level

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unless the allergy is tied more to the food the shellfish have been eating, this isn't going to help with something like that at all even in a perfect version of the technology. The cells produced are still going to be identical to the animal they were cultured from, so the proteins that cause the allergy aren't going to disappear. SOmething like fine tuning and controlling the marbling on a steak might be possible with advanced culturing techniques, but unless you're using genetically modified shellfish or something you aren't changing the chemical composition of the meat on a protein level
Has there been any discussion on if different religions can eat nokill animal protein/plant protein shellfish and bacon products.

What are vegan stances on nokill/plant protein products?

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Think bigger.

chicken that tastes like beef. Or fish that taste like pork. You can design the meat to have any flavor you want. Maybe even mixed meat hybrids. Shrimp/chicken.
No this isn't how it works. Lab grown meat is basically another application of the same tissue engineering techniques that we'd use for regenerative medicine, except instead of using cultured cells to regrow a human heart or something like that you're using them to make a steak. The cells are still genetically identical to the donor so you aren't going to get a product that's substantially different from the original beyond toying with the exact structure. So stuff like marbling which is based on the arrangement of fat and muscle cells would be possible, but cow cells are still going to produce beef and it's still going to taste like beef by the nature of the tech

Mochi

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I love it. I'm sure this is the future of meat production, happy to see it's happening already. Hopefully they figure out how to do this efficiently and harmlessly with pig or cow fat cells to help give other plant-based meats like Impossible and Beyond a bit of an extra authentic flavor.

TooFriendly

Oct 30, 2017
Chicken cells grown in a bioreactor filled with bovine foetal blood serum.

while I am on board with lab grown meat... do they have to make it sound so fucking dystopian sci-fi?

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Has there been any discussion on if different religions can eat nokill animal protein/plant protein shellfish and bacon products.

What are vegan stances on nokill/plant protein products?
No idea. I'm aware of the science behind this stuff even if I'm not an expert perse, but stuff like religious questions is completely outside my understanding and I kind of doubt any sort of consensus exists if there's even been a discussion on the issue at all in those communities. And the vegan one is even harder since the reasons people go Vegan are numerous and personal so it'll come down to the individuals judgement

pechorin

Banned
Apr 13, 2020
i understand the moral argument but there's no way I'm putting lab grown things in my body until there's long term studies proving it's healthy.